How far can you go on a full tank/charge?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #177179 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I’m away for a few days so filled the xc40 to full, £60 ish, got in and was astonished to see a 360 miles range indicated. I have never filled it to full before so was a bit shocked. Previously I’ve always had diesel cars with ranges in the 500 mile bracket.

With many EVs giving 300 miles is range anxiety only for diesel car drivers as petrol seems to be giving similar range?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177238 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I think that’s perfectly reasonable GG👍

#177239 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Wigwam I wrote a whole load of spiel in reply to your post but it just disappeared so not going to do it again but safe to say for most it will be the car type of choice.

#177240 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

My renewal is up this year in July, in the current climate I’m not confident of getting my new vehicle before the 2030 deadline 😂.

#177243 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My renewal is up this year in July, in the current climate I’m not confident of getting my new vehicle before the 2030 deadline 😂.

🤣

#177244 Reply
    ajn

Smiling happy faces, always got to be a good thing, love the humour..

#177264 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

All discussion aside, now will be remembered for being the cheapest time for running EV’s.
    Mr Tax Man will be after us all soon, at the sockets, to plug the annual £37B it receives from the current fuel duty.
    As soon as I consider it suitable for my needs, I’ll be jumping to an EV or possibly evening falling back into an older diesel.
    Whether that will be via Motability is another question.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#177284 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

My previous S-Max had a range of around 580 miles, driven the way I always used to…

My current Soul EV has a theoretical range of 280 miles. Now I am back commuting to work I can say that’s wishful thinking. My 42 mile commute at 5deg this morning at indicated 70 (vs S-Max 78) gave 2.6 m/kw, thats 166.4 miles to fully empty, travelling at 70 on ACC, not speeding up to overtake. Heat at 20 and AC on, same as S-Max.

Ahh but its winter all the EVangelista say – my range will increase in summer! – gee, thats handy. But I still have to commute/travel in winter too. I am already altering my driving by slowing down, home leg will be done at 60-65 to make sure I can get there.

Ahh but ICE cars lose range in winter too, they crow…yup, my S-Max used to drop from 42 to 39mpg over winter , a range fall of 40 miles – the equivalent of my EV losing 20 miles – sheesh, I lost that this morning in one run (started at 130 mile range, travelled 42 miles, have 69 left). It will lose 6-8 miles more just getting up to temperature when I set off for home…hence the reduced 60mph get home speed. Should have charged it over the weekend…as Bjorn Nyland says, ABC – Always Be Charging!

So yes, Glos Guy is correct, a match for ICE diesel? nope. But it is a whole lot cheaper, which is my sole reason for having it. Despite its range issues I am saving around 2/3 of my commute cost, £200+ a month back in my pocket – for now, until the govt changes the way car travel is taxed.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

#177307 Reply
    struth
    Participant

no doubt that for many ev’s just dont have the range for it to be comfortable; if they add stress to your day then they are not for you. im lucky that i do low mileage so its fine for me especially as i have a home charger.

no doubt tho if you can avoid the aircon amap in winter and just use seat as heating, after pre heating in morning from the plugin, and you can avoid going over 60, the range is much closer in winter. Regen breaking is another boost if your in a town etc. It is a new style of driving tho.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#177313 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Abercol – A great and balanced review. I knew that the actual range was a lot less than claimed, but not to the degree that you mention! I just couldn’t be doing with having to put so much thought into driving and managing available range. The cash savings are indisputable but are partially offset by a lot of hassle that you just don’t get with ICE cars. I am sure that these issues will all be resolved in the fullness of time. By the way, the 550 mile range that I get isn’t from a diesel – it’s from a 2.0i petrol that also has four wheel drive!

#177317 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

I get about 400 miles from my £80 of petrol.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#177319 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

That’s poor – around 32mpg?

#177320 Reply
    Vinnie
    Participant

We get around 40 mpg on a round trip to London, costs about £85 for 560 miles, so not bad for a t3 xc40 auto.

#177322 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Struth, are you suggesting a long journey in freezing weather with no heating except the seat heater?  Reminds me of a journey many years ago getting a mini with a broken heater home. We had so many coats on there was no room to move…

#177329 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Spot on. Mainly urban journeys. It may go as high as 34!! Hence I would like an EV!

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#177331 Reply
    moggy
    Participant

600 Miles Tiguan 190 diesel

Had a Mondeo 2.5 five cylinder turbo, 70Litre tank,  get about 300 miles

#177334 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Spot on. Mainly urban journeys. It may go as high as 34!! Hence I would like an EV!

I don’t blame you! I really liked the interior of the MX5 Sport Nav and it was very well equipped as standard, but I haven’t driven one. The last Mazda I drove was an Xedos! MPG isn’t high on our list of priorities when choosing a car, but I have been pleasantly surprised with our petrol X1. We are getting 5mpg better fuel economy than in our diesel Tiguan!

#177336 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Fuel prices have hit a new record high at the pump across the UK, tightening the squeeze on UK consumers, the motoring organisation the AA has said.
    Over the weekend petrol reached 148.02p a litre, while diesel hit a new record high of 151.57p a litre last Thursday.
    Fuel previously hit a record in November, before wholesale and retail prices fell back.
    “The cost of living crisis has been ratcheted up yet another notch,” said Luke Bosdet of the AA.
    The RAC’s fuel spokesman Simon Williams said the price of filling a 55-litre family car was now an “eye-watering” £81.41.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#177337 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thats much better than we were getting Moggy. Same model as you and we struggled to get much over 500 miles.

#177339 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

Thats much better than we were getting Moggy. Same model as you and we struggled to get much over 500 miles.

My Ateca has the same engine, in city traffic MPG is actually quite poor, it needs longer runs to get the best out of it, your X1 has the slightly detuned engine, seems to have had the desired effect on economy ?

#177345 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My Ateca has the same engine, in city traffic MPG is actually quite poor, it needs longer runs to get the best out of it, your X1 has the slightly detuned engine, seems to have had the desired effect on economy ?

Must have. BMW are masters of engine technology. Those who had both the pre and post facelift X1 report that the ‘detuned’ engine performs even better than before, yet also returns better MPG. I tend to drive ours in EcoPro and have never had cause to use Sport mode, but when I have needed to make a fast overtake it absolutely flies. I gave up on Eco mode on our 190PS Tiguan as there was too much of a lag, which might explain why the MPG was so poor in comparison.

#177348 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Must have. BMW are masters of engine technology. Those who had both the pre and post facelift X1 report that the ‘detuned’ engine performs even better than before, yet also returns better MPG. I tend to drive ours in EcoPro and have never had cause to use Sport mode, but when I have needed to make a fast overtake it absolutely flies. I gave up on Eco mode on our 190PS Tiguan as there was too much of a lag, which might explain why the MPG was so poor in comparison.

First, i’m a fan of BMW engines and had multiple straight sixes in my life. Love them.

I do feel inclined to correct the somewhat skewed perception here though. First, in both Tiguan and X1, nothing changes in terms of power, boost or anything engine related. All it does is change the throttle curve, meaning you need to press the pedal harder for equal power, and a few settings here and there for the gearbox (sailing off throttle, primarily). So a Tiguan can’t be laggier in Eco, nothing changed – you would just need to press the pedal harder, exactly the same thing as the X1.

Second.. The X1 isn’t particularly economical. You don’t get 550 miles range because it gets great mileage, you get 550 miles because your tank is 20% bigger than most other cars here. On average, that’s slightly over 40mpg, that’s certainly not bad, but also not particularly great. Especially considering that it’s not actually “4×4” 98% of the time, it’s front wheel drive exclusively until the front wheels lose grip, then the clutch engages for the rear driveshaft.

I don’t mean to poop all over your car, i in fact really like it, but i feel like this needed to be pointed out. The X1 isn’t more economical than the others here (well most of them), it just has a bigger fuel tank (61l compared to the average 50l).

This also leads me to believe that your Tiguan didn’t run right, because it factually is considerably more economical than a X1.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY23

#177352 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My comparisons aren’t based on anything scientific Rene, just my first hand experiences. We’ve had four 2.0i Tiguan diesels and four 2.0i BMW diesels (3 and 5 Series), often at the same time, so I’m not just contrasting two specific cars (I’ve had 3.0i, 3.0d and 4.4i BMW’s as well, but not relevant to this). Whilst the power and torque outputs might be near identical on paper, in reality I find the BMW engines to be quieter and more refined with better performance and better fuel economy than their VW counterparts. There was a definite lag with our last Tiguan (the only 190PS one) although I accept that might have been an issue with the car, although when I did a bit of research on a Tiguan forum others reported the same and said that it was unique to the 190, with 150PS drivers not reporting the same issue (indeed, our previous 140 & 150PS Tiguans didn’t have such noticeable lag). I’ve never experienced any perceivable lag in any BMW diesels. If it’s there, it’s absolutely minimal in comparison.

The X1 does indeed have a larger fuel tank, which is a godsend. As I have said, we didn’t choose it for fuel economy, but I’ve been pleased to get 44mpg average in the summer and 40mpg in the winter. I agree that’s nothing spectacular in this day and age, but it’s considerably better than many other 2.0i petrol cars that have been on the scheme. On paper, as you say the Tiguan diesel should return better mpg but we only averaged 38mpg during our 3 years of ownership.

#177354 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

On steady speed motorway runs I managed to see 55mpg on many occasions in our X1 (last car) cruising at 70mph.  One journey running slower because I didn’t want to get to the other end early, I got over well over 60mpg. I doubt any other petrol car of similar type could beat it. The B48 engine was technologically more advanced and efficient than any other mainstream petrol engine when we got ours and probably still is.

#177355 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

On steady speed motorway runs I managed to see 55mpg on many occasions in our X1 (last car) cruising at 70mph. One journey running slower because I didn’t want to get to the other end early, I got over well over 60mpg. I doubt any other petrol car of similar type could beat it. The B48 engine was technologically more advanced and efficient than any other mainstream petrol engine when we got ours and probably still is.

Interesting. I’ve only done half a dozen longer journeys so far and did manage to get 50mpg on those, but you’ve set me a challenge now 😂

#177357 Reply
    DaveH

For this weeks £75 of petrol, I’ll be lucky to see 280 miles (Avg. 21.5 mpg).  That’s in my Kuga 1.5 AWD auto. Mileage wise, an EV probably wouldn’t be much different but it might be cheaper.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
Reply To: How far can you go on a full tank/charge?
Your information: