How far can you go on a full tank/charge?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #177179 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I’m away for a few days so filled the xc40 to full, £60 ish, got in and was astonished to see a 360 miles range indicated. I have never filled it to full before so was a bit shocked. Previously I’ve always had diesel cars with ranges in the 500 mile bracket.

With many EVs giving 300 miles is range anxiety only for diesel car drivers as petrol seems to be giving similar range?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177182 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Our Tuscon, with, I think a 60 litre tank gives a range of between 360-390 miles, not a great deal more than some electrics.

#177183 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

On a full tank, I get a theoretical range of 5/600 miles, possibly the main advantage of diesel, you just fill up and go wherever you like, for weeks, without a moments thought about range anxiety.

#177186 Reply
    ajn

Yeah fill up and go, maybe fill up and go a bit more often than you Serendipity 😂, however the full electric thing way off the mark for me yet, maybe next time around, thats if it’s not a fortune to charge or the electric suppliers don’t make so expensive we’re all on buses🥴..

I must admit I think the cracks in the whole electric car thing is yet to come..

However I could be totally wrong..

petrol & electric seems a good choice IMO..

#177187 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

Before e10 came in I could regularly get 480 miles from a tank in my ioniq, now its closer to 410. Not that I can drive that far in one go now but when I switch to electric I won’t mind having to stop at 300 because it’ll give me a good excuse to stop and stretch

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#177191 Reply
    ajn

Mrs ajn always shoving fuel in when ever we go anywhere anyway, if there’s a station shes fuelling, always been the same 😆..

Imagine her with a plug, she’d fry it..

(Joking 👀)

#177192 Reply
    struth
    Participant

my hybrid toyote was about 400/450 depending.  the kona ev is about 280 theoretical, although i guess you could get a bit more or a lot less depending.  this is winter and im averaging 4.2 miles per kwh, so pretty good.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#177194 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

My BMW 5 Series Diesel had a range of around 600 miles. Our current BMW X1 petrol has a range of around 550 miles although during the winter that drops closer to 500 miles. These are achievable figures, unlike the quoted ranges of many EV’s. From what I’ve read about EV ranges from articles and user experiences, a quoted range of 300 miles is more likely to be closer to 250 miles in real world driving and possibly less again during the winter.

The range that we achieve means that the only ‘fuelling’ interaction with the car is a short refuelling stop of less than 5 minutes once every 3 weeks or so. That’s why I always smile when people say “I’ve just got an EV and I’m really looking forward not having to go to a garage again” yet they are happy to spend the time plugging it in and unplugging it most days and will have to plan longer journeys around charging locations where a 20 minute stop will be required just to do an 80% top up.

I absolutely get that EV’s are (currently) a lot cheaper to run and if that’s the main priority from a car then they are a no brainer. But they have a hell of a long way to go to be as practical and hassle free as an ICE car.

#177195 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brydo. The indicated range is based on recent driving, it will change as you go.

#177200 Reply
    ajn

Are you enjoying that xc40 fuel/elec engine Wigwam any plus/minus points to report..

#177202 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

We have the same model, Brydo.
    It’s really not good.
    A brimmed tank shows a 380’ish range for me.
    Before the E10 full intro, it was 420’ish from memory. Definitely well over 400.
    I drive everywhere in Eco but even so, short journeys return late 20’s – low 30’s.

My first Petrol car for about 25 years and definitely my last.
    For fuel economy, I really miss my 18d X1.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#177204 Reply
    Brydo

Gloss Guy it would only be with a Phev that charging daily might be needed. A BEV will give most people a week or so without recharging. If charging from home sticking a charging cable in will take a minute or so, so not exactly a chore 😂

#177206 Reply
    Brydo

BionicRusty has it been a while since your last post, it seems a while since I’ve read anything from you, maybe I’ve just missed your posts. Good to have you back if you’ve been gone, if not I’ll just shut up 😂😂😂😂😂

#177207 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

All pluses, ajn.  Particularly smooth quiet local driving.  I find I’m quite happy to sit in rush hour traffic queues in comfort listening to music rather than trying to find ways around. On long journeys I rarely notice when the car switches between electric and petrol.  The car encourages being relaxed…

#177208 Reply
    Brydo

Wigwam that’s good news as, hopefully, I will be joining you very soon.🤞

#177209 Reply
    ajn

Great stuff Wigwam, well done 👍

#177210 Reply
    Dante

My MG HS 1.5 petrol dct

300 (mainly urban) / 360 (mixed use)

#177213 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

500 miles is achievable in Summer with my 1.7 diesel MPV but its a boring drive with danger of falling asleep at the wheel. 😱😁

Otherwise mostly around 400 miles per tank with a 55 Litre Tank and around 380 in Winter.

Mostly suburban and city driving.

#177214 Reply
    Xz130
    Participant

500 miles is achievable in Summer with my 1.7 diesel MPV but its a boring drive with danger of falling asleep at the wheel. 😱😁 Otherwise mostly around 400 miles per tank with a 55 Litre Tank and around 380 in Winter. Mostly suburban and city driving.

on a boring drive back from Wales last August I managed to get 56mpg so it was a nearly 500 mile run on one tank.

Current car
    2019 Hyundai Ioniq Premium in black
    New car 2022 Hyundai Kona premium in Jungle green.

#177216 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

@Brydo.
    You’re right, my friend, I have been gone.
    It’s truly not a good time and I’ve either not been able or up to posting, although I do dip in as a ‘lurker’. 🙂

You’re a real stalwart here, bud. Keep it up.

To be quite honest, with everything, I’m quite often switched off from all media.
    The less bad news you have, and let’s be honest, the past couple of years has been pretty bad, the less depressed it all seems.

Am I right in thinking that you are getting rid of the Volvo? Or are you going electric as well?

#177221 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Changing to a Volvo xc40 PHEV, hopefully coming soon.

Sorry to hear you have been poorly bionic rusty we all know that good health is the most important thing in life but as you say so many have suffered and are suffering. I really hope you keep better and if you can give yourself a wee treat. Whatever you enjoy, whatever it costs do it if you can. Life can be cruel but if you can improve it by introducing things you like/help then do it no matter what.

#177228 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Gloss Guy it would only be with a Phev that charging daily might be needed. A BEV will give most people a week or so without recharging. If charging from home sticking a charging cable in will take a minute or so, so not exactly a chore 😂

I didn’t say every day and I appreciate that it wouldn’t be as much of a chore for those of us who are lucky enough to have a garage that we park in and could charge in. However, it hasn’t stopped raining all day today here and if I had to park outside and faff about with a charger in all winds and weathers then it’s a hassle (albeit minor) that I don’t have now, so that’s not progress for me. If, during my few minute refuel every 3 weeks or so, it is raining I am at least under a canopy!

I repeat that I absolutely get that if cheap running costs are the prime consideration with a car then EV’s are unbeatable, but nobody will convince me that, with the current issues over limited range, regular need to charge and having to make stops that I otherwise wouldn’t on long journeys, they don’t add a degree of hassle and inconvenience that I do not have at present. Of course, over time, all these issues will be mostly overcome but, I guess, by then the current cost advantages may have been eroded by new forms of taxes to replace fuel duty!

#177229 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

Wow. How on earth did that happen!
    Of course you don’t have to answer that.
    I couldn’t believe it when the Recharge became available after we were told categorically that it wouldn’t by Volvo, Motability and every dealer I spoke to

I love my XC40 and it was definitely the top of the pile at the time but I all but dread driving it due to its mpg.

Thank you for your kind words, Brydo. As I’ve deteriorated so fast, being happy and doing what I can is definitely top of my list. And thankfully, I have a wife in a million. I won the lottery the day she said ‘yes’.

Be happy, Stay safe.

#177233 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

GG just now you have a choice and for the next decade or so you have a choice but after that no real choice. If your choice is motability it is likely to happen before the government’s official date. I think it’s unlikely motability will still be offering anything other than BEVs by the end of this decade.

luckily speed of charging and range will not be an issue by this time and we will all be perfectly happy with an electric vehicle as our choice.

#177235 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

“will all be perfectly happy with an electric vehicle as our choice.”

Is that an order, Brydo? In your scenario it won’t be a choice.

#177236 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

GG just now you have a choice and for the next decade or so you have a choice but after that no real choice. If your choice is motability it is likely to happen before the government’s official date. I think it’s unlikely motability will still be offering anything other than BEVs by the end of this decade. luckily speed of charging and range will not be an issue by this time and we will all be perfectly happy with an electric vehicle as our choice.

I don’t disagree with any of that Brydo (although I think that the 2030 deadline will move) and you’re right that, thankfully, we all have a choice at present. My choice is convenience, but I appreciate that this comes at a cost. Like you, I could be tempted with a PHEV, especially if the next X1 comes on the scheme, but I’m going to let battery technology and charging infrastructure improve considerably before I go full EV.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 80 total)
Reply To: How far can you go on a full tank/charge?
Your information: