How far are you from an EV charger?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #177817 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Just checked Zap-Map, https://www.zap-map.com/live/, and found out that within 1 mile of my house i have 3 rapid chargers band 5 fast chargers. I can charge at home so won’t use them very often, if at all, but it is worth a check if you are considering an EV and can’t charge from home.

“Failing To Prepare Is Preparing To Fail” — Benjamin Franklin lol.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #177819 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Brydo, you won’t be using them at all. The XC40 Hybrid will only charge at 16A. So an hour at your local Tesco (free) will give you about 6 or 7 miles range.

#177823 Reply
    Serendipity
    Participant

I have 8 within a mile, and two within 50 yards, benefits of living in the city centre.

#177828 Reply
    ajn

How about how busy are they, as well as distance..

#177831 Reply
    Littledave

I have no off-street parking available and there are four chargers available within 3 miles, 2 3kw and 2 7kw.

#177837 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

It has ‘improved’ (if you can call it that) where I live. The closest four according to Brydo’s ZapMap thingy:

9.7 miles  – at a Guest House – Restricted to guests only . 1 x Type 2 – 3kw

11.0 miles – Guest House – Restricted to guests only 1 x Type 2 – 7kw

13.7 miles – Farm Shop – 1 x Type 2  3kw – Accessible only whilst shop open (Mon-Sun 9-5.30).

15.8 miles – Public Car Park  – 2 x Pod Point Type 2 – 7kw

Three of the above four are in different directions!

The next is 22 miles away!

#177839 Reply
    X

I have access to 8 rapid chargers ranging from 50kW to 150kW – 6 miles away 24/7 access. Not too bad.

X

#177862 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Dave you must be out in the sticks to be so far away from a decent charger. I live in a large village and we have many chargers around, probably about 20 within five mile radius.

#177863 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Ten miles radius not five.

#177868 Reply
    Ian

12 miles away for me for 1st public charger. I do live quite rural tho through choice.

If I was unable to charge at home then Ev wouldn’t work for me.

#177888 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

1 7kw charger 2 miles away.

No off road parking thus no EV for me just yet.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Mercedes Benz B180 Premium Plus.

#177889 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

P.s.

Unless Tesla join the scheme (yeah right), 3 superchargers 1 mile away.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Mercedes Benz B180 Premium Plus.

#177910 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

We have scoped out the chargers at Gretna which is about 30 miles from home, just in case we ever need a splash and dash to make it without any anxiety.

Surprisingly, Dumfries has a few public chargers.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#177981 Reply
    Littledave.

I live near Bognor Regis. There are two others, one in Butlin’s and one in the Nissan dealership. I have just found one 50k charger in the new Lidl, 2 miles away.

#177995 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Only a few 7Kw within a few miles and some of them aren’t working or for hotel guests only.

Without a driveway it looks like an EV isn’t an option at present.

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy 🙂

#177998 Reply
    Russ

I have a rapid charger 8 meters from where I park my car.

I live on a private estate owned by an Earl and it is free to use.

#178011 Reply
    Chris

0.5 miles to a 50kw charger 🙂

#178022 Reply
    Georgina Walker

What is the point of them then if you have a driveway or not? Electric cars are milkfloats. But worse. No milk.

#178029 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Electric cars are milkfloats.

I think you are in for a surprise when you try one.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#178073 Reply
    struth
    Participant

3 or 4 within a couple of miles. think they are 44kw and 7kw. not had to try them as yet.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#178085 Reply
    Windy
    Participant

When we did our research we were 21 miles from the nearest charger we live rural in a small village, by ghe time it was delivered there were 3 in our village and 5 within 7 miles. Fortunately we have a hone charger too even without a drive. As for a milk float reckon it would be cheese delivered at these speeds😂

#178088 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Strangely I sent the zap map link to my son who lives on the south side of Glasgow and he only has two chargers within a mile of his flat.

#178150 Reply
    Abercol
    Participant

Used to be pretty dire here, but recent upgrades/installs mean 50kw or more rapids:

1 x 0.1m; 1x 0.2m, 3 x 10-11m, 8 x over 15, but under 20 miles.

For the 3 months I solely used rapids I tended to use the bank of 4 that were 16 miles away, as they were always available. I had seen them full but only while I was charging for the hour or so to get from 10-80%. It wasn’t really far away as my wife works in the same town, so drop her off and get a charge or charge up and collect her. Ditto with shopping – charge/shop/collect wife…

The closest one charges at 43kw despite allegedly being a 50kw unit, also on a slope in a narrow car park, so difficult to access/use. Got stuck once when someone in an ID3 parked too close to my door and plugged in to the fast charger rather than wait for me to finish, I was reading and didn’t notice how close she was until I went to leave, had to climb over to the back seat – was like doing the Krypton Factor in a small cube. That put me off using it. Also made me miss my Grand Picasso where you could just scoot over to the passenger side in seconds!

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Reply #177837 in How far are you from an EV charger?
Your information: