Housing Association EV Charger Permission

• Creator
    Topic
    MickC
    Participant

I had a reply today from my HA and they want me to give answers to the below questions,how would i know the answers ? the only question i could answer is where i want the location of the charger to be.

Are the below questions ….putting the horse before the cart..so to speak.

———————————————————————

Dear Michael,

I have been asked to make contact with you for EV charger for your property.  In order that I may consider this in more detail, are you able to provide me with as much of the following information as possible.  Items highlighted in yellow are compulsory:

Specific requirements for AC charging equipment; or
      AC charging equipment output power must be measured or calculated at a nominal supply voltage of 230Vac single-phase or 400Vac three-phase.

AC charging equipment must be compliant with BS EN 61851-1:2019.

AC charging equipment must use BS EN 62196 Mode 3 charging.

AC charging equipment socket outlets (where used) shall be BS EN 62196 Type 2.

Specific requirements for DC charging equipment
      DC charging equipment must be compliant with BS EN 61851-23:2014

DC charging equipment must use BS EN 62196 Mode 4 charging

For charging equipment with embedded generation capability (V2X):

charging equipment with embedded generation capability of up to and including 16A per phase must be compliant with ENA Engineering Recommendation G98
      charging equipment with embedded generation capability greater than 16A per phase shall be compliant with ENA Engineering Recommendation G99
      Your chosen contractors Insurance certificate, risk assessment and method statement
      A plan showing the preferred location of the charging point.
      The above information is taken from gov.uk on domestic installation standards for EV charges and so shouldn’t be too onerous for your contractor that you want to appoint to assist with most, if not all of the above.

Please feel free to reach out to me once you have the above information.

Regards

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MissingSound7
      Participant

I’d ask @kezo although it’ll probably annoy him to see yet another HA asking YOU to provide this information.

kezo
        Participant

Specific requirements for AC charging equipment; or AC charging equipment output power must be measured or calculated at a nominal supply voltage of 230Vac single-phase or 400Vac three-phase. AC charging equipment must be compliant with BS EN 61851-23:2014. AC charging equipment must use BS EN 62196 Mode 3 charging. AC charging equipment socket outlets (where used) shall be BS EN 62196 Type 2.

Standard 32A, 7.4kW 1 phase charger.

Electric vehicle conductive charging system meets BS EN 61851-1:2019

AC charging equioment meets BS EN 61851-1:2019 or BS EN 61851-1:2019 where a tethered charger cable is fitted.

AC charging equipment meets BS EN 62196  Mode 3

AC charging equipment socket outlets meet BS EN 62196

DC charginging is not applicable

Your chosen contractors Insurance certificate, risk assessment and method statement
          A plan showing the preferred location of the charging point.

I would speak with Ohme and request they send you the above information, saying your trying to get permission from your HA and could they oblige with this. (@Phaedra had no bother requesting it)

I’m sure you can draw up a plan where you won’t the charger or a picture marked with an x

Good luck 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by kezo.
          kezo
          Participant

I’d ask @kezo although it’ll probably annoy him to see yet another HA asking YOU to provide this information.

I’ll be charging for a new keyboard, with the amount of typing ?

However happy to help where I can 🙂

@Missingsound7
            – it the request of the homeowner doing the survey that annoys me and for good reason lol

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by kezo.
            MickC
            Participant

@kezo

Just a quick question until tomorrow.

Am i right the supply to the wall charger is A/C.

and the supply from the wall charger to the car is D/C.

Thats why they want answers to both questions.

MickC
              Participant

Specific requirements for AC charging equipment; or AC charging equipment output power must be measured or calculated at a nominal supply voltage of 230Vac single-phase or 400Vac three-phase. AC charging equipment must be compliant with BS EN 61851-23:2014. AC charging equipment must use BS EN 62196 Mode 3 charging. AC charging equipment socket outlets (where used) shall be BS EN 62196 Type 2.

Standard 32A, 7.4kW 1 phase charger. Electric vehicle conductive charging system meets BS EN 61851-1:2019 AC charging equioment meets BS EN 61851-1:2019 or BS EN 61851-1:2019 where a tethered charger cable is fitted. AC charging equipment meets BS EN 62196 Mode 3 AC charging equipment socket outlets meet BS EN 62196 DC charginging is not applicable Your chosen contractors Insurance certificate, risk assessment and method statement A plan showing the preferred location of the charging point. I would speak with Ohme and request they send you the above information, saying your trying to get permission from your HA and could they oblige with this. (@Phaedra had no bother requesting it) I’m sure you can draw up a plan where you won’t the charger or a picture marked with an x Good luck ?

I just seen this ignore my last question.

Will contact Ohme for the info that they can supply.

@kezo
                muchas gracias amigo.

kezo
                Participant

I just seen this ignore my last question.

?

For reference the cars onboard charger converts AC to DC, therefore is not included in the AC charging circuit…

Any further questions do ask.

MickC
                  Participant

Contacted Ohme and they are going to send a “permissions pack” to the HA

Ive sent this photo to them saying that the location for the charger will be above the electric meter box,the consumer unit is on the other side of the door on same wall.

chrisneh
                    Participant

You are lucky ,our HA refuses to let us have one fitted on our drive

kezo
                      Participant

Did you tell the HA Ohme are forwarding a pack to them?

MickC
                        Participant

@kezo yep they said the were forwording the permissions pack to the HA.

kezo
                          Participant

You are lucky ,our HA refuses to let us have one fitted on our drive

What reason did they give and was it issued in writing?

chrisneh
                            Participant

@kezo they just said on phone not their policy , I even commented to them about it assisting their carbon footprint , but still told on phone not our policy

kezo
                              Participant

@kezo they just said on phone not their policy , I even commented to them about it assisting their carbon footprint , but still told on phone not our policy

Who is your HA?

It sounds like they couldn’t be interested to look into it and gave their typical reply! I’d suggest going higher to the CEO or getting Ohme send  a permission pack with all the info…

Oneday in the not so distant future they will have to provide them at their cost, yet they look a gift hore in the mout of having a free one.

MissingSound7
                                Participant

I’ll be charging for a new keyboard, with the amount of typing ? However happy to help where I can ? @Missingsound7 – it the request of the homeowner doing the survey that annoys me and for good reason lol

I fully understand why it annoys you and your help is greatly appreciated. I’m trying to work out the feasibility of sorting out a driveway for myself but if I need to be doing additional surveys for the charger as well; it’s a lot of effort, so am in two minds.

Anyway, didn’t want to derail the thread. Hope @MickC gets this sorted and thanks again @kezo.

kezo
                                  Participant

I fully understand why it annoys you and your help is greatly appreciated. I’m trying to work out the feasibility of sorting out a driveway for myself but if I need to be doing additional surveys for the charger as well; it’s a lot of effort, so am in two minds.

Can’t help with a driveway sorry 🙂

Gaining permission from a HA or LA is realistacally down to the tennant. What really isses me mate is the next stage, where the homeowner has to do the survey only for Ohme to put the figures into a “guess o meter” and come out with completrly the wrong answer @MFillingham nearly come instuck is his new BEV thread – woth a read! Not mentioning Ele who’s installer forgot to install a CT clamp.

How I look at it if you were having new wardrobes fitted, you wouldn’t accept the joiner telling you to send a few pic’s along with the measurements. Not to mention its electrics mate.

If you were to get get a company out of Yell say, they would do the survey for you as a qualified person, check any damage DNO equipment that needs reporting for minor works…. Ontop of this if you have a problem you call the installer directly, not Motability, as in most cases sends you on a merry go round, because apparantly its nothing to do with them lol.

Hope everthing is ok your end 🙂

Participant

if youve no driveway with dropped kerb then they wont fit it afaik.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Avatar photostruth.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                      Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

MickC
                                      Participant

if youve no driveway with dropped kerb then they wont fit it afaik.

I was stood on my driveway when i took the pic of the front door an meter cupboard.

MickC
                                        Participant

Whats happened to this thread its been stripped of quite a few questions and answers ? from yesterday pics of my meter box and calculations by @kezo.

kezo
                                          Participant

Whats happened to this thread its been stripped of quite a few questions and answers ? from yesterday pics of my meter box and calculations by @kezo.

Hi mate, that was on  @MFillingham thread – I have asked @POPS if he would be kind enough to transfer our discussions here. It will make it easier for us especially me to follow.

Your last reply to my question, was you sstating HA & Northern Power.

To answer that, Northern power typically allow 8oA cut-out, which is what you have. The charger will come with a CT clamp and be set to 80A. This will prevent your maximum demand going any higher.

When I did the maximum demand calculation it was at 101A, which is high and typically split or 3 phase terrority. However when I looked at what your circuits supplied and applied demand at the correct % on those it was below 100A. Ohme or whoever will submit the maximum demand to Northern power (god help) and will likely submit the higher number. It is then up to the DNO to decidethe next course of action. As long as Ohme dont submit nearly 200A like they did with Mark, you will be o.k and hopefully hear no more other than the charger install or the DNO will need to do some upgrade work. Nothing to worry about 🙂

I think your bigges’t concern at this point is getting permission from the HA – I would chase them up towards the end of the week, to see if they have received the pack from Ohme.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by kezo.
                                            MissingSound7
                                            Participant

Can’t help with a driveway sorry ?

That’s ok, thanks anyway. What I meant was I’ve been deliberating more in terms of whether spending the money to get the dropped curb and driveway laid so I could get a charger would be cost effective.

Not many ICE cars available on the scheme I’d be interested in. Really tempted by the BMW 3 Series Estate but it would need the plug in charging where I live to offset (some) of the frankly ridiculous AP.

MickC
                                              Participant

@kezo good idea a thread tidy up.

kezo
                                                Participant

Can’t help with a driveway sorry ?

That’s ok, thanks anyway. What I meant was I’ve been deliberating more in terms of whether spending the money to get the dropped curb and driveway laid so I could get a charger would be cost effective. Not many ICE cars available on the scheme I’d be interested in. Really tempted by the BMW 3 Series Estate but it would need the plug in charging where I live to offset (some) of the frankly ridiculous AP.

A driveway to park your car and these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314945444140?chn=ps&var=613437403816&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-153316-527457-8&mkcid=2&itemid=613437403816_314945444140&targetid=4585307093462908&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=554648193&mkgroupid=1307320433942731&rlsatarget=pla-4585307093462908&abcId=9323209&merchantid=87779&msclkid=20378ef33c15199db363eb33143e0fc9

The 3 series tourer is very nice (PHEV). Genuinely thought of the tourer myself but by the time we added the required options we wanted, it was comming in at well over £10k. Asmuch as I lover beamers, I drew the line at that, considering I’ll only have it 3yrs and never own it 🙂

@kezo good idea a thread tidy up.

I think so it will be easier all round and I’ll have a headache rather than migraine ?

MissingSound7
                                                  Participant

The 3 series tourer is very nice (PHEV). Genuinely thought of the tourer myself but by the time we added the required options we wanted, it was comming in at well over £10k. Asmuch as I lover beamers, I drew the line at that, considering I’ll only have it 3yrs and never own it ?

It would have been ideal for me as it’s a great estate for my assistance dog. Seen the other options and was not a fan of them. The 3 Series would have come as standard with everything I needed (camera, sensors, etc) and been nice to drive. That AP, monthly payments and the cost of laying a driveway (£2500), altogether it’s just too much for something I can’t get any money back for after 3 years.

Thanks for the link but was told they won’t install a charger unless the curb is dropped. Which is more money I’d need to spend.

@MickC
                                                    – Apologies for cluttering your thread.

kezo
                                                    Participant

@Missingsound7 see Phardra’s Kerbocharge thread!

It would save you hell of alot of money 🙂

MickC
                                                      Participant

Had an email this afternoon from Ohme.Do they practice being thick or does it just come naturally,grrrrrr.

—————————————–

Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately, I’m unable to find your details on our system to confirm which installer will be completing the works.

Would you be able to confirm the full address including the postcode and the email address we have registered on the system to make sure I’m able to locate this information?

——————————————

Well numbnuts my details wont be on the system yet as there has not been order placed.

They dont read the info you put in emails and what you are requesting.

Oh well we’ll start agian tomorrow.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.