Hope I won’t regret ordering 2-wheel drive this time 🙈🤷🏻‍♀️😄

• Creator
    Topic
  • #170211 Reply
    Rachel

Hi everyone,

Have you seen the weather? Well I hope I’m worrying unnecessarily but I’ve got a BMW s-drive 18d ready to collect, just before Christmas hopefully.
    I hope I don’t regret not getting the x-drive!!!🤞🏻🙄🙈

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #170307 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

I’ve been driving for 48 year and I’ve never got stuck in snow, never ever had Winter tyres and never ever had 4 wheel drive.

Just have to assume a lot of folks don’t or have forgotten how to drive these days.🤷‍♂️😊

#170337 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

That’s an interesting video @vinalspin Thanks.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#170343 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

How can you tell if tyres are all season as opposed to summer? Do they have a specific code?

#170347 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

How can you tell if tyres are all season as opposed to summer? Do they have a specific code?

Thanks. I can’t see that symbol on the Bridgestone Turanzas that are on our new car, so I’m assuming that we don’t have them. The X1 is prone to some road noise, so I’m guessing they’ve gone with a very quiet tyre as a priority. Clearly winter or all season tyres are preferable in poor conditions, but we get snow around once every two or three years where we live and thankfully being retired we can just stay in, so it certainly wouldn’t be worth our while changing them and on balance I’d be better off sticking with the quietest tyres as I’d get the benefit from those year round. I guess my point is that if your car is supplied new with regular tyres and you don’t want, or need, winter or all season tyres, then having 4WD at least gives you some traction advantage over a 2WD car with exactly the same tyres. Certainly that’s been my experience when I’ve had to go out in snow. No problem at all in any of the 4WD’s we’ve had, but a ruddy nightmare in my rear wheel drive BMW.

#170360 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

4×4 and 4×2 are apples and pears. I hadn’t fully appreciated what a difference having all season tyres make. I think with the ID3 I will buy a pair of snow socks for it.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#170361 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

What folks do forget is that 4x4s will keep you going traction wise but doesn’t help with braking.

#170382 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

What folks do forget is that 4x4s will keep you going traction wise but doesn’t help with braking.

Exactly, that’s why if I ever get caught in snow, or have to go out in it for an emergency, I try to slow down using the gears rather than the brakes. I’ve never lost grip doing that. You have to be careful if someone’s close behind you though, although in snow you’d hope not!

#170449 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

Used to own this, and while it was the slowest pile of poop on normal roads, it could go anywhere and never get stuck! Should have kept it just to have fun in the snow.

#170454 Reply
    Rachel

Thanks for that vinalspin, it seems winter/all season tyres are the best option. Just not sure if I’d pay out for them if I only need them a few days a year, as Glosguy said plus we’re all ‘tight’ in Yorkshire ha ha!

The snow has all disappeared now too!🙄😆

Viewing 9 replies - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Hope I won’t regret ordering 2-wheel drive this time 🙈🤷🏻‍♀️😄
Your information: