Honda Civic gone. Decent SEAT Arona gone.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #121799 Reply
    Georgie

What’s going on?

I was just perusing my ‘Emergency Alternates’ list and I see that ALL the Honda Civic models have now disappeared from the Motability List, along with all the 150bhp SEAT Arona models.

Only six weeks in to Q3 I really get the feeling that ‘decent’ cars are being either downsized or removed all together.

Viewing 17 replies - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #123007 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Well said Rox.

The trouble is that most people who knock CVT’s are going back years when they last drove one… or are basing their opinions on the awful Nissan versions of the system (which were absolute crap & nothing like Toyota or Honda’s systems).

I currently drive a Toyota C-HR with a CVT box and it’s a joy to drive. No one does modern day CVT’s like Toyota or Honda… look how many CVT-equipped Toyota’s are on the roads! As I mentioned earlier on another thread, I love the look of the new Corolla GR Sport which has an ECVT box (a ‘real’ 1st gear if you will). Watch some videos on YouTube of the car and see for yourself! It does 0-60 in just 7.9 seconds and returns around 52/53 mpg.

Having only ever had an auto licence due to my condition since learning to drive, I have had many, many automatic cars over the 40+ years of driving. Some were great. Others were dire. But if we’re talking about modern day Toyota & Honda cars fitted with a eCVT box – I suggest anyone considering one take one out for a test drive. I would wager that you’ll be pleasantly surprised!

#123066 Reply
    Tharg

I reckon the bad reputation, or at least mistrust, of CVTs may date way back to the little Daf motors built in the Netherlands many years ago. The Dutch model of CVT was remarkably simple consisting, essentially, of rubber bands sliding up and down rotating cones in the “gearbox”. They were “variable” in practice as well as design. People seemed to think they did not work well – if Honda did not call it a CVT but made up another name instead I don’t think there would be a problem?

#123073 Reply
    Philjb

I’ve driven the new Honda crx with a cvt box and the new Toyota rav 4 cvt both were as expected and something I’d stay clear of myself and no comparison to a Dsg gearbox I’ve had dsg boxes in my last 2 vehicles and paddle shift.
    But each to their own.

I think you’ll find Honda and Toyota call it a cvt box because that’s what it is.

cars constantly come and go these days as well as APs changing between quarters. So trying to guess what will happen in the next quarter is nigh on impossible.

we’d all like more choice and lower aps, I think it will continue to be the hardest to shift models being offered to the scheme at lower aps and the best selling models up near the top price cap.

#123079 Reply
    Menorca Mike

That’s the problem Phil I’m used to a DSG box had 3 golfs but I’m after mpg in hybrid and a Toyota only has the cvt box

#123080 Reply
    Menorca Mike

I’m sure the new Honda Jazz hybrid isn’t a cvt box they call it something different

#123084 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@ solent60 Indeed Personally I used to hate driving automatics as i preferred a manual, but now i have accepted that I need an automatic.

Technology has come on leaps and bounds.

Seeing as auto’s are all you’ve ever driven. You been in a great position to see that 1st hand and sometimes it’s the combination with the engine or the software in these modern cars that can make it a good marriage or not imo.

Cvt’s are giving a good performance and economy right now, love it or hate it, the world we are living in now is changing. As we move towards Ev’s gears will not be needed at all. That imo will bring another set of issues at higher speeds and the new Id.3 from Vw will hit max speed at 16,000 rpm. with it’s Single-Speed Gearbox.

Is it going to sound like a spin cycle on a washing machine or an old milk float. Could not resist that one ha ha. Pretty much like driving a truck which top speed is limited via the gearbox, Not nice that. foot to the floor maxed out.

In the usa when there was the fuel crisis in the 1970’s Demand for big, fast, thirsty cars dried up as rising gas prices had many buyers looking at more affordable cars to run. At the same time, progressively tighter limits on tailpipe emissions forced automakers to detune engines via lowered compression ratios, fewer carburetors, more restrictive intakes, and other power-sapping measures and this is what is happening here in the Eu now. Stick another motor on it as well or add a dpf or now a Gasoline Particulate Filter (GPF) add blue etc etc. To meet the regulations and avoid fine. Ice only cars will get less and less attractive imo,to meet the new rules and to force us into ev’s. So i can see why a hybrid is the next best thing and i do see that tech getting better and better, before it’s banned too.

#123088 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@Philjb ‘I’ve driven the new Honda crx with a cvt box and the new Toyota rav 4 cvt both were as expected and something I’d stay clear of myself and I’ve had dsg boxes in my last 2 vehicles and paddle shift. But each to their own.’

Not much one can take from that, what did you not like? how long did you drive it for? what was the ride like and why will you stay away. Sure ppl would wanna know and how long ago did you drive it.

Did you mean the CR-V  (Honda crx 1983-1991 ) Second Gen: Honda CRX VTEC – 1988-1991

What size engines did they have in the cars that you drove.

If you driving a 2.0l tdi for example. Then a 1.5 petrol in an suv ain’t gonna be the same imo.

Your actual issue maybe it’s not a diesel?. It’s hard to tell as you give no info as to why.

Don’t take this the wrong way but infomation is what this forum is about and is what people are searching for.

It was as expected?. Just like how you said in another thread the honda civic is a small and an undesirable car. Maybe to you, yes each to there own. but why is it?

Maybe you will never like the Cvt or the new one speed boxes coming to drive ev’s. I have a family of 4 (was 5) and with the boot fully loaded I had no issues on our recent trip in the honda.

No comparison to a Dsg gearbox. who compared it?. My last car was a DSG, My current is a CVT.

They two different things and are different in a many ways. The newest car has over 60 more bhp than the dsg.  You fail to mention your observations from your drive. In a car that this thread is not about. But it is that info people want to here. Not just I’d stay away for what ever reason you’d rather keep to yourself.

#123091 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Rox is your cvt box as quiet as your golf dsg box? Has it got a whine with it ?

#123092 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

@Rox That’s why I said the new as in latest models, both tested some time last year to see for myself if there auto boxes had improved and nope they haven’t still have exactly the same issues all cvt gearboxes have.

I hated the cvt box as like all cvt gearboxes you accelerate and all you get is more noise in the cabin with little change in speed unlike a regular box which kicks down a gear, the same when your going  down hill because the box can’t change down as it doesn’t have individual gears, so it feels like the car is coasting not a nice feeling when the hill is steep, what does it matter how long a test drive is, if you drive it and don’t like something as major as the auto box you don’t like it and choose something else.
    As I said each to their own I know what I do and don’t like in a car and a cvt box isn’t for me. I’d take the manual version anyway.

#123094 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I’m sure the new Honda Jazz hybrid isn’t a cvt box they call it something different

an eCVT

An advanced and responsive i-MMD (intelligent Multi-Mode Drive) two-motor system – with an efficient 1.5 litre petrol engine – intelligently switches between three driving modes and delivers a maximum engine power output of 97 PS.

All i can say is test drive all you selections them all and make up your own mind sometimes there’s lots to take into account.

I was also in a golf. did 40k miles in it in the 3 years and i did like it apart from the few things we talked about before, like the seat. But i got no issues with the cvt in the honda civic, I did get and i was like you about cvt’s put off by bad reviews and look there always gonna be haters and i don’t drive like a snail.

I don’t care so much right now about mpg, been there done that for the last 9 years. Before the golf dsg,  I had a c4 grand picasso and a nissian QQ which was my 1st on the scheme. Both of those was manual. but it was down to the test drives with the family that sealed the cars as well. Gotta be practical as well and tick most of the boxes. Sometimes hard choice have to me made and something has to give.

#123102 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@Rox That’s why I said the new as in latest models, both tested some time last year to see for myself if there auto boxes had improved and nope they haven’t still have exactly the same issues all cvt gearboxes have. I hated the cvt box as like all cvt gearboxes you accelerate and all you get is more noise in the cabin with little change in speed unlike a regular box which kicks down a gear, the same when your going down hill because the box can’t change down as it doesn’t have individual gears, so it feels like the car is coasting not a nice feeling when the hill is steep, what does it matter how long a test drive is, if you drive it and don’t like something as major as the auto box you don’t like it and choose something else. As I said each to their own I know what I do and don’t like in a car and a cvt box isn’t for me. I’d take the manual version anyway.

Pretty much exactly as i thought, some people just cannot drive a manual version, I hope to do some videos soon gonna borrow my brothers go-pro hopefully next time i down in london.

I do get what you are saying, but the cvt box can change down to any point it needs. It’s like using adaptive cruise you need to understand how it works to get the best out of it, a cvt works differently to the dsg.

For me the real issue with a dsg or a cvt is the same, i have to press the peddle down alot the more it hurts me unless, i use sport mode which uses alot more fuel, kicking down etc causes me more pain. hence i can now kickdown in the cvt using the paddles., If and when needed.

Engine braking is hard to do in an automatic in normal mode as you would do in a manual, it is why say when driving in snow an automatic is not as good imo. If the cvt ain’t got a manual mode or paddles i can see how it would be an issue in certain circumstances.

I cannot power/slide around roundabouts in an automatic in the snow anymore!. engine rev matching is not easy, unless it has paddles and then simulates the gears. My golf did not have paddles but if you shifted the gear lever to the left it became a semi-auto. Maybe that is the issue with those versions and the cvt.

The dsg has the same issue when driving in auto mode imo and on the mk7 golf i had, it had eco mode as well and the car would coast to save fuel, did not use that alot.

No Automatic is as good as a manual but it is what it is.. Sometimes it is in the design to be more frugal and cut emissions, which is the way alot of cars are going.. That a certain driving experience is not given in the same way as before. I have not driven the cars you mention so i cannot comment on them. I am talking about the honda i have and other cars i have driven alot. But i do understand what you saying and your reasons, i appreciate that. Also i hope you understand where i am coming from.

#123105 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

I’ve just had my new company car delivered, a corolla hybrid with a cvt box. Will let you know what it’s like soon but I am dreading it.

#123115 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

The Aisin 8 speed auto box is sublime and this is coming from 3 years with a DSG, the difference is huge.

I had a C-HR rental for 3 days, the 1.8 Hybrid with the CVT and it has to be the worst car I have driven in at least 25 years, no electric until warm, petrol only on the motorway, put your foot down at 60mph and all it does is turn petrol into noise with hardly any change to speed, 450 miles covered at an average of around 24mpg, rubbish.

#123119 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

Rox yes I know how a cvt box works and I’m one of the people who needed an auto, i can’t drive now due to my health.

Im just sharing my experience like other people are it’s up to others if it’s helpful or not.

Ive driven lots of auto cars In the past and I found all cvt boxes to be dreadful. Thats the only reason I wouldn’t choose one.

In my experience Vag DSG gearboxes are far superior and more efficient.

#123120 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Vinalspin what cars have this 8 speed box ?

#123123 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

BMW/MINI:

2015–present BMW 2 Series Active Tourer (F45) and Gran Tourer (F46) with 4-cylinder engines
    2016–present BMW X1 (F48) with 4-cylinder engines
    2016–present Mini Clubman (F54) with 4-cylinder engines
    2016–present Mini Countryman (F60) with 4-cylinder engines (and B38 with AWD)
    2018-present Mini Cooper SD (F55/F56) and JCW (F56) due to torque output over 300Nm
    2018–present BMW X2 (F39) with 4-cylinder engines
    2019–present BMW 1 Series (F40) with 4-cylinder engines
    Geely:

2019–present Geely Xingyue[6]
    GM:

2016 Chevrolet Malibu
    2017 Buick LaCrosse[7]
    2017–2019 Cadillac XT5[5]
    2018–present Buick Regal TourX, (I4 AWD only)
    Lexus:

2013–present Lexus RX
    2018–present Lexus ES (4-cylinder non-hybrid engines)
    Opel/Vauxhall:

2017–present Opel Insignia
    2017-present Opel Grandland X
    2020-present Opel Corsa
    Peugeot:

2017–present Peugeot 5008
    2017–present Peugeot 308
    2019–present Peugeot 3008 1.6 EAT8 & 2.0 EAT8
    2019–present Peugeot Rifter EAT8
    DS Automobiles:

2018–present DS 7
    Toyota:

2018–present Toyota Avalon (4-cylinder non-hybrid engines)
    2018–present Toyota Camry (4-cylinder non-hybrid engines)
    2019–present Toyota RAV4 (4-cylinder non-hybrid engines)
    Volkswagen/MAN:

2017-present Volkswagen Crafter and MAN TGE (transversely mounted engine only)
    2018–present Volkswagen Tiguan (US version only)[8]
    2018–present Volkswagen Atlas (US version only)
    2018-present Volkswagen Golf (US Version only)
    2019–present Volkswagen Jetta (US version only)
    Volvo:

2014–2016 Volvo S80 II[9]
    2014–2016 Volvo V70 III[10]
    2014–2016 Volvo XC70 II
    2014–2017 Volvo XC60
    2015–2018 Volvo S60 II
    2015–2018 Volvo V60
    2014–present Volvo XC90 II[11]
    2016–present Volvo S90 II[11]
    2016–present Volvo V90 II[11]
    2016–present Volvo V90 CC
    2018–present Volvo XC40 II
    2017–present Volvo XC60 II
    2017–present Volvo XC40[12]
    2018–present Volvo V60 II[3]
    2018–present Volvo S60 III

#123127 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

I’ve driven the BMW 8 speed and yes agreed it’s far superior again to my tiguan 7 speed Dsg box much smoother and more responsive to change downs.

Viewing 17 replies - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
Reply To: Honda Civic gone. Decent SEAT Arona gone.
Your information: