Home exercise treadmills – advice please

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #124030 Reply
    Tharg

Well, the time had arrived when we must purchase one of these walking treadmill thingeys. Me, because under adverse weather conditions I cannot do my physiotherapy walk on the roads without falling over/bashing into stuff; Madam T, because she hates getting cold and wet. We’ll only need one for walking speeds, not running. Will need a powered type, I reckon. Anyone have experience of these devices? Looking on Internet it seems that choosing the right one is even more complicated, and dodgy, than buying a used car. So any advice would be greatly appreciated…

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #124309 Reply
    Menorca Mike

#124310 Reply
    Menorca Mike

#124311 Reply
    Menorca Mike

#124312 Reply
    Menorca Mike

#124313 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Hello this is my powered treadmill I got from amazon 2 years ago was £180 delivered it’s a Confidence make I have it at 5 mph walking pace it has been totally reliable my brother in law put it together I’m sure it came with a spanner ! I walk with walking stick outside this treadmill is ideal in the comfort of your home

#124353 Reply
    Tharg

@Menorca Mike Thank you so much for that, Mike. Sounds just the sort of thing we should get. Need it, like you, because I walk with stick outside (still trying to avoid wheelchair!). The handholds are just what I need. Thanks again…

#124369 Reply
    Menorca Mike

It’s very sturdy and has pull cord to stop it instantly but at 5 mph walking pace it’s fine my niece came and ran on it she loved it good thing with. Amazon delivered to your door I try to do 2 miles a day by the way it’s quiet and very well made

#124392 Reply
    Tharg

Mike, does your machine have an “incline facility”? As far as I can gather this is the ability to simulate going up a hill. Madam desires this, preferrably at push of a button. Thanks again

#124394 Reply
    Tharg

Also, please forgive delay in replies. Have not been able to get an auto alert sent to me email so might take a bit of time to find a reply. Sorry – can’t find the right button!

#124397 Reply
    Menorca Mike

There is no incline button on mine I think you have to pay a bit more for that ?

#124410 Reply
    Tharg

OK, Mike. Thanks for that. Reckon my best bet would be to find a Confidence like yours but with GTi go-faster incline button.

#124411 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Yes lol

#124412 Reply
    Menorca Mike

It’s got 3 incline settings I’ve just looked at my past orders on amazon I got it in 2018 so would be ideal for you

#124413 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Zoom this my order from 2018 from amazon 

#124414 Reply
    Menorca Mike

Zoom this my order from 2018 from amazon 

#124424 Reply
    Tharg

Thanks, Mike. Will have a word with Madam to see if she is happy with that.

#124868 Reply
    Alex

I have recently bought a treadmill online and its really worth buying it. I recommend you to buy treadmill.

#124994 Reply
    Tharg

Mike and Alex… thanks again for your thoughts. Alex, you were very lucky to get one. On mainland UK they are near impossible to buy. We know now what we want but cannot get it anywhere. All of the treadmills offered by Argos are “out of stock awaiting delivery”; Amazon much the same. Some dodgy items available from China and some OK items from dodgy suppliers. Couple of OK shops offering a “book ahead” service for delivery late Oct, may have to do this.

#126486 Reply
    Tharg

Absolutely the final word on these appliances: be very careful if you want to buy one. The whole market is like a mega-dodgy used car showroom.

Ours, for example, arrived fine; earlier than promised and very helpful delivery chaps. However, the “simple to assemble” bit did not work too well. A metal spool, intended to be a sort of hinge had been welded in place by someone who last worked for Brunel! More weld than part and would not fit the adjoining bit. Had to gind off about half an inch of offending weld to get a fit. Damn poor in a contraption costing over £350. Also, the machine had obviously been delivered elsewhere and returned – lots of loose packing bits around and chronic stains on the moving walkway. Should have sent it back but the prospect of waiting until next March for another one did not suit Madam, Besides, it was easier to re-engineer the damn thing than try to pack it back in box. Hope it continues to work.

#126577 Reply
    Georgie

Glad to see you’ve got your treadmill, Tharg.  It’s not a subject I could give constructive info about, but now you have one I hope it serves your needs. 🙂

#126582 Reply
    ajn

Maybe they could give discounts on blue badge holders  who would benefit from these machines..

#126595 Reply
    Tharg

ajn – nice idea but zero chance of it happening. The Arthur Daleys selling the things wouldn’t want to know. Very few, if any, actually made in UK. Far East for most.

Georgie – thanks for good wishes. It’s really for Madam T who is absurdly fit for a 70something – in every sense of the word. Likes to walk some 3 or 4 miles a day (in addition to dogwalk) to supplement her 50min exercise routine (!). Weather and road conditions often prevent this. My physio routine from NHS physiotherapists is to walk as much as possible without using aids. Propensity to fall over/bash into things means the machine could be quite useful as a “road alternative”. Overall objective is to delay the wheelchair for as long as poss.

Have set appliance up in nice, bright conservatory with garden view and under Shoreham airport climb-out so plenty to see. Have good proper record player there too so can stoll gently to classic original Beatles LPs with occasional V-Williams, Shostakovich, Iussi Bjorling and many others.

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
Reply To: Home exercise treadmills – advice please
Your information: