Home Charger install for phevs guidance

• Creator
    Topic
  • #144475 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

Ok I don’t know if its been posted before and I wanted to help, so thought I would post this, if one of you want to tidy and make a sticky it would provide useful info for those looking to get a PHEV which motability don’t provide a charger for.

First of, just because motabilty are not providing you with a charger its not all doom and gloom, The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) is a grant that provides a 75% contribution to the cost of one chargepoint and its installation. A grant cap is set at £350 (including VAT) per installation. The main requirement is that a person owns, leases, or has ordered a qualifying vehicle and has dedicated off-street parking at their property. A person may apply for 2 chargepoints at the same property if they have 2 qualifying vehicles.

The list of qualifying Vehicles are here Govt website link a list of of approved installers can be found here too on govt website approved installers

What this means is the Govt through these approved installers will pay 350 towards the charge point, the main rule is it must be a smart charge point, the cheapest I have seen from the installers is $450 which would leave you £100 to pay. but I advise to go with a company that will do all the paperwork for you.

been mindful to search for info on the approved installers and find the ones that will do the paperwork for you as I know a lot of you will hate paperwork and form filling (thanks to dwp).

If this post save any of you money I hope its useful.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #144578 Reply
    TheSUVGuy

Great information thank you

#144601 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

If anyone is thinking of fitting an EV charging point for a plug in hybrid, it’s worth checking your particular car’s maximum charge rate.

Looking at the Volvo XC40 T5 Recharge, the maximum charge rate is only 3.7kW no matter what it’s plugged into giving a charge time empty to full of 3 hours at best.  On a 3 pin plug it’s 5 hours.

It seems hardly worth the bother and expense for such a small gain.

#144633 Reply
    Richard

It’s future proofing to an extent i guess & I’ll bet those 2 hours soon add up for the right person, horses for courses but worth bearing in mind some PHEVs will use 7kW some won’t

#144656 Reply
    Zed

Thank you very much for this post, i was looking for this exact information,

#144657 Reply
    Rico

NP zed happy to help, and wigwam with govt changing the goal posts on grants and reported phevs coming with 80 yo 100 mile ranges,  would it be better to not get 1 for 100 rather than 450 yo 500 later down the line?

#144658 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For £100 yes, Rico, of course.  Best price I’ve seen is £399 after the OLEV grant. Do you know who does it for £100?

#144664 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

podpoint have a smart one for 449, then they will do the paperwork, the email stated if approved i would have to pay 100 towards it

#144668 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Can you provide a link, Rico? Looked at their website and best price seemed to be £499 after the grant.

#144669 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

podpoint have a smart one for 449, then they will do the paperwork, the email stated if approved i would have to pay 100 towards it

I’m pretty certain the £449 price is after the OLEV grant has been deducted, without the grant it’s £799 for a 3.6kWh, and the 7kWh prices are £859 (£509 after the grant)  These prices are off the PodPoint website

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Intranicity.

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#144671 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

If that’s the case there’s little point having a 3.6kw (16A) one fitted when you can get an external 13A plug fitted for a granny charger at 2.3kw (10A). To  7kW (32A) is going to cost £500?  And it still comes back to many PHEVs will not charge faster than 3.7kw – Mini and Volvo for two.

Obviously if you go full EV on the scheme you get the charger for free.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Wigwam.
    #144675 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

We ordered our Podpoint in February 2020, at the time the grant was a bit more generous we went for the 7kW version (save upgrading at a later date) and a tethered cable £290.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV has a 3.7kW onboard charger with Octopus Energy I charge up off peak it takes about three and half hours for a full charge. I charge up at the daughter and on the caravan sites using the manufactures supplied Granny charger which requires five and half hours for a full charge. I have a separate lead were I can charge up at free charging points like Tesco’s etc it is that point I wished it was a 7kW charger, but that’s me being just greedy, but there is nothing like the feeling free eclectic.

I have too admit I have saved a fortune over the last 9 months I have recuperated the cost of the PodPoint charger months ago

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#144782 Reply
    John

Thank you for this information, I have ordered a Peugeot plug-in hybrid, nobody informed me that you had to pay for the home charger, neither  Motability or the Peugeot Dealer. I think I will be cancelling the car tomorrow, and be adding another diesel car  to pollute  the world, which I really regret. I need four wheel drive, because of where I live. I believe that Motability should tell members when they order a new plug-in hybrid. I suppose this has come about because you cannot visit the dealers because of Covid.

#144784 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

John, you can charge it from an ordinary three pin plug.  If you don’t have an outside socket, it shouldn’t cost much to install.  It’ll go from empty to full overnight.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Wigwam.
    #144937 Reply
    LDC7080

I dont know if this has been covered but you need to check the PHEV you are buying as well.  i am looking at the Peugeot 3008 which comes with a 3.7KW onboard charger.  you can upgrade to a 7.4KW for £300 but given its a small battery you are charging in a PHEV i am not so sure its necessary for everyone.  i would be more than happy to leave my car on charge overnight which is more than sufficient to cover the recharge times.  just a guide but to charge a battery from 0% to 100% on a 13amp plug would take about 10 hours and about 8hours if it were from a charging point.  if the vehicle you are looking at does have a 7.4KW onboard charge  then your 10 hours charging time will drop to 4 hours so more beneficial .

#144938 Reply
    LDC7080

also another tip i have been given.  if you do buy a home charger to keep your options open and past your current lease do not buy the tethered cable as this might become specific to certain cars only.

#144939 Reply
    LDC7080

Also for anyone interested in the Peugeots.  they are currently offering pod point wall box chargers for £149 which includes the government OLEV grant  OR if you want a free mode 2 doemstic charging cable as the peugeot come with a mode 3 cable as standard

#144991 Reply
    John

Hello

The 13amp charging lead for the Peugeot is £400, they do supply the 3.7 cable free of charge, as I am on Octopus energy at home, and have economy 7 meter for cheaper electricity overnight for 6 hours.

I have never had a battery Hybrid until now, I run a VW Tiguan 4motion at the moment. I think I may for another, as I have not had any problems with it.

John

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Home Charger install for phevs guidance
Your information: