Hobbies

• Creator
    Topic
  • #160633 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

What are your hobbies? Keep it clean please ๐Ÿ˜‚

You never know you might find a new interesting relaxing hobby.

I’ll start it off. I have 3 hobbies/interests. (1) Land Rovers, I’ve had landys for over 30 years.ย  Still have two. (2) Motorbikes, unfortunately I can’t ride one anymore, but I still have a few. At the moment I’m working on my 1979 Suzuki gs 1000s, total strip down and rebuild. And finally I’m into traditional field archery.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #160643 Reply
    joss

Hobbies well Motor cross was a long time favourite of mine. I gave up riding after a bad leg injury. So when my son want to ride, that then became our hobby. I sold my KTM 450 and bought my son a big wheeled Honda 80 stroker. I taught him every thing I knew. Non of this riding on tips etc, It was all on proper tracks.

We we lucky enough to have 2 major tracks In Doncaster. One was a hard track, the other pure sand. Both very technical requiring total different skill sets.ย  My son was 11 when I started to train him. He soon out grown the Honda, So I bought him a brand new Yamaha YZ 125cc. He took to it like a duck to water.

We used to go all over the country racing. It really was a great experience for us both. Sad at age 17 he badly broke his Knee. That required plates and screws.

Like Fastbike1000 I have always had motorbikes. I remember GS 1000 Suzuki well. Monster of a bike. My friend had his GS rebuilt with Yoshimuraย  parts. I had theย  The Kawasaki 500 HE two stroke triple. Great in a straight line but cornering was scary as hell.

Other hobbies later.

Joss
    ***๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160664 Reply
    Georgie

Roman History – a long term interest that only got indulged after I had to give up work (I went off and got a degree in it).

Reading – Fantasy ‘(sword and sorcery’ stuff), off-beat or ‘set in the past’ Detective stories, Sci-Fi, Stephen King, Terry Pratchett . . .

Learning to play electric guitar – 4 months in = 10 chords, some riffs, 4 songs badly.

#160665 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Never tried motocross Joss,ย  scared the crap out of me just watching it. So fair play to ya. Always been a road rider, and a massive fan of road racing.

Kawasaki kh 500 I remember it well, I’ve never rode one, but had a kh 250 which was bad enough.

The last road bike I had was a 2007 suzuki GSXR K7 which is the one that nearly killed me.

#160678 Reply
    Georgie

I learned to ride on a Yamaha 175, mud-plugging.ย  Not only fun but really gave a good grounding in how to handle a bike in bad road conditions.ย  Should be made part of the ‘Learning’ process, imho!

I can’t imagine where kids learn to drive/ride now that most of the old air fields are housing estates.

#160682 Reply
    joss

Here is a video of Fatcat Moto park Doncaster. has 3 tracks. 2 for practice 1 for club racing.

Doncaster Moto Parc is a Motocross Practising, Coaching and Racing Facility. Pure sand.

https://www.doncastermotoparc.co.uk/studio

Also Uncle eddies Motor cross and enduro park

Uncle Eddies Motorcycle Park

So we are very luck with such provision in Doncaster

Joss
    ***๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160699 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Reading: mainly science fiction and mystery stuff. Anything lightweight, amusing which can make one laugh out loud. Recent discovery concerns intelligent, personable dragons working with a Yorkshire WI to solve ridiculous Christie-esque crimes. Also trying to find modern sci-fi writer with even half the talent of the much-missed Iain M Banks.

Music: will try any music, from Elizabethan classics to Beatles, Dire Straits etc. and eccentric modern stuff like Hugh Laurie’s jazz/blues LPs. One project is trying to compile “top ten”ย  of popular songs from 30s onwards. Got list up to about 40, still trying to choose best ones.

Photography: taking snaps using proper film cameras. Difficult right now because of Covid restrictions and worsening mobility. Pentax 35mm ME Super is main tool but also use some big roll-film cameras like Rolleifex and others dating back to 30s. Like doing portraits and street snaps. Have a 1936 Leica which still works beautifully but lens is knackered.

Aviation: anything to do with flying: reading, watching and museums. Taking trips in antique aircraft when budgets and circumstances permit. Great fun had in Tiger Moth, Piper Cub and RAF Sea King rescue helicopter (target for day in training flight). Just missed getting MACH 2 ride in RAF Lightning.

#160700 Reply
    Phaedra
    Participant

Target shooting.ย  I help run an indoor 25yd club one night a week and am secretary of an outdoor club that shoots once or twice a month on MoD ranges etc. our members shoot out to well over a mile (2000m plus).

It can be very relaxing, my only problem is that with disabilities I can no longer lie down to shoot (or get back up again!) and have to use a portable table and chair, luckily my son also shoots and makes a great pack horse/general dogsbody ๐Ÿ˜€

Other than that a very eclectic taste in music and movies ๐Ÿ™‚

There's room for all God's creatures, right next to the mash and gravy ๐Ÿ™‚

#160711 Reply
    joss

My main hobby now focus around building PC for people who want a high spec custom build. I enjoy helping them and advising on what system they want. From a basic desktop PC to a high spec gaming PC.

Joss
    ***๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160720 Reply
    FiestaRed

Having had a camera since I was about 10 years old, I love my photography. Being for the most part a wildlife photographer I changed to landscape photography a couple of years ago. I mainly take images of the sunrise and sunsets because I enjoy the solitude these occasions usually bring with them.

I’ve always sent photos in to the various TV channels weather slots and been quite lucky getting them aired. A few days ago I was contacted by a local ITV channel who asked if I would be interested in taking part in a programme they’re making about their lead weather presenter. I was asked to choose a couple of my favourite ‘local’ locations where the presenter, along with a film crew could follow me taking photos.

I’m a bit nervous with the thought of it all but on the other hand really looking forward to it.

The image below of Whitby Abbey was a two minute long exposure. This was done so the area looked as though there was no one around where in reality there were 20 to 30 people in the scene, but because they were moving, some slower than others, it gives the appearance that I had the abbey all to myself.

#160744 Reply
    Georgie

Beautiful picture, FiestaRed.

#160745 Reply
    Noel
    Participant

That has your real name on it!

@joss
    can you edit the pic, if he wants it hidden

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Noel.
    #160750 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Great photo, Fiesta. Very brave going for two-minute exposure, clever idea! Would take too many long bits of adding up to work out the timings for roll-film though!

#160753 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Target shooting. I help run an indoor 25yd club one night a week and am secretary of an outdoor club that shoots once or twice a month on MoD ranges etc. our members shoot out to well over a mile (2000m plus). It can be very relaxing, my only problem is that with disabilities I can no longer lie down to shoot (or get back up again!) and have to use a portable table and chair, luckily my son also shoots and makes a great pack horse/general dogsbody ๐Ÿ˜€ Other than that a very eclectic taste in music and movies ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve tried air rifles but I found the pcp a bit boring, the springers I thought was more challenging.

I might have to look into long distance rifles, it sounds challenging and fun.

#160754 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Very dramatic picture fiestared, I can see why the TV are interested.

#160755 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

My main hobby now focus around building PC for people who want a high spec custom build. I enjoy helping them and advising on what system they want. From a basic desktop PC to a high spec gaming PC.[/quote

way over my head joss.

It’s always nice to hear about Sombody whose passion for a hobby can make it into job.

#160758 Reply
    joss

That has your real name on it! @joss can you edit the pic, if he wants it hidden

Not really @Noel. It could be removed if required ?? But it is his copy right mark also.ย  Ifย  @fiestaRedย  wants itย  removed he just needs to ask.

Joss
    ***๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒป ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#160784 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

He asked, it’s removed.

Beautiful photo, it’s amazing that the people just disappear and are not a blur.

#161004 Reply
    ajn

FiestaRed that photo is fantastic, well done ๐Ÿ‘

#161067 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

One of my neighbours makes models of railway locomotives. Pretty undemanding stuff? Well, no. He scratch builds them from the engineering blueprints. Has an unbelievable model of a BR Battle of Britain class loco. It is about 1/20th scale, some 3ft long. He made every part from scratch, in metal. Wheels, for example, were cut from solid block of metal and milled down to size and shape on lathe. No pre-made parts whatsoever. Every bit hand-made.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Hobbies
Your information: