Hit and run bus driver.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #78480 Reply
    Philjb

Typical sat eve I just want to relax and watch football.

Dam you Liverpool (joke)

I get a message from m my daughter says can I get her she’s feeling rough.

So I get her location through whatsapp or whatever.

Im approaching Putney Bridge lights traffic. A bus indicating to the curb on his last stop I know the bus route well.  I’m about half way past only one car behind.

And he indicates to pull out but still crawls along the left lane as he’s not looking my way at all. I can’t go forward as there’s a turning right lane full off cars so I just stop.

Theres at least two bus lengths before the busses left turn onto a massively wide Putney Bridge. He slowly moves over I can see him in his mirror he’s looking at his machine?

He pulls over into my lane really early and catches my passenger front wing (this is dusk 830pm) so I flash him continually, wave my hand out rhe window, he just keeps creeping slowly through the lights now taking up both lanes? I’m behind.

He crawls with me now flashing and tooting him to stop, he goes through the lights slowly just as they go red so I have no choice but to stop.

Once light goes green (I still don’t know my damage but the car drives ok.

I remembered the first two and last 2 numbers of his bus number. I catch up with him over the bridge him turning right. Me still flashing my led main beam and tooting and waving. No reaction from the driver so I follow him still flashing.

He goes up a bus only road to Putney Bridge station which I know where it comes out.

So I go right left towards station. Stop at the end and notice the bus and driver who hit me coming straight towards me so again I flash him continually and wave my hands. He drives straight past like he has blinkers on. I go to get out of the car to try flag him down, bang didn’t notice a low post , so I realised later I’d put a dent in the drivers door , because of my condition I need to open my door wide to get out. (Balls)

This time by the time I turn around and negotiate traffic on the bridge the bus has gone. (Fcuk). I was furious he never stopped and I still had said daughter to pick up. So luckily I did manage to take a pic of the bus and it’s numbers.

Picked up daughter and looked at my bright red wing and number protector. Plus my new ding right below my door hand on  the crease of the side profile.

So now Monday to ring insurance with details.

And said daughter was feeling fine.

Ah it’s good to get off my chest.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #78481 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

All London buses have 360 degree external and internal CCTV which should have recorded the incident with your vehicle.

What you need to do is contact the TFL contact centre (0343 222 1234) and raise an incident, giving details of the bus involved/time/date/location etc. The CCTV disc from the bus will then be pulled before it is recorded over. You can also use their webform to report the incident here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/help-and-contact/contact-us-about-buses

however telephoning is probably quickest.

If you wait for the insurance company to contact TfL, then there is a chance the disc could have been recorded over. If this happens, it is your word against the bus driver’s word. Hence the importance of getting the bus’s disc pulled.

#78483 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

I would actually just phone the bloody bus company first, and tell them drive ignored all attempts to wave him down!

#78495 Reply
    WardyGTC
    Participant

Report to the police too, failing to stop is an offence.

If I seem a little strange, that's because I am.

Mercedes Benz B180 Premium Plus.

#78496 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Sorry to hear this Phil, what a stressful and traumatic experience for you. Hope you managed to get some sleep last night.

BigDave has given an excellent, informative post – i was going to say the same about the cameras on the bus, so please don’t stress about their being no evidence. Wardy is also correct in that you should inform the police, even though they will probably only take details over the phone and issue you with a crime reference number, it’s evidence to give to the insurance that it wasn’t your fault so no excess to pay.

I’m pleased that the car is still driveable, and hopefully still is when you inspect it this morning. Nothing much more you can do today, being Sunday. Try not to dwell on it too much, and take comfort you did all you can to avoid the accident, and were not at fault.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#78498 Reply
    Philjb

Thank you for the info guys, typical when your on your own my priority was just trying to get the numbers off the bus and get him to stop.

Im guessing opening the door onto the post trying to flag him down is all down to me?

Looking at it this morning it looks like the wing will polish out.

I think it caught part of the tyre which protected the wing from more damage.

Only  had one at fault accident in over 40 years driving! But I can’t believe he just ignored me.

I wasn’t hurt to call police, plus if I had stayed and called police, id have no bus numbers.

Just part numbers. Which I’m sure they’re say is no good.

#78500 Reply
    joss

Philjb

Sorry to read this story Philjb. Maybe time to get a dash cam as that would have recorded it all.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#78509 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Something similar happened to me. A bus pulled out without indicating and clipped my company pool car. Like yourself I chased him but he ignored me. When I went back to the office I filled in the forms. Luckily the bus company admitted liability. I was naive at that time, new to driving etc. Dashcam? This was late 1980s the only thing that can provide evidence straight away is an instant Polaroid stuck to the screen.

As the previous poster recommended get a dashcam. If on a tight budget just use an old smartphone with a free dashcam app and you are set to go.

I always tell my family to get one. As usual they just say ok. Yes they do get one only after being involved in an accident lol

#78510 Reply
    Rico
    Participant

I think the call the police is probably good advice as It is a criminal offence for someone to drive off without giving name and details after a accident.

#78511 Reply
    Philjb

Thanks josh yes your possibly right but motability won’t allow one to be fitted unless it is factory fitted and not wired by a third party to the car?

As far as I knew?

Plus I’m hoping this bus has it recorded.

Ill ring the bus company later this morning.

but the car only went into vw for a check over and software recalls so it was in absolutely tip top condition cleaned inside and out.

Plus if the driver was paying attention you’d never not notice  vw LEDs on main beam they are bright.

The car didn’t even have a stone chip in 5 months and 10k miles.

But now I remember on the way home the autonomous braking warning kept operating with nothing there? so maybe it’s damaged a front sensor too?

#78513 Reply
    Philjb

Rico yes I’ll call police and get an incident number.

I think all of us react differently I tend to just loose it on the only occasion someone hits me and tries to blame me or doesn’t  stop.

I know others would just follow exactly the advice given just swap details and drive off.

But anyway no one was hurt, cars can be fixed.

Im actually more annoyed I opened the door onto a post trying to get out quickly and wave the driver down.

#78516 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Philjb – you can just plug your dashcam into the cig lighter or usb socket for power. This way it can easily be removed. What you are thinking of is the hard wired version where the power lead of the dashcam is connected to the fuse box. This is regarded as a modification by some insurance companies.

#78517 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

How much does a dash cam cost ? I’ve never had one

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#78518 Reply
    joss

Philjb – you can just plug your dashcam into the cig lighter or usb socket for power. This way it can easily be removed. What you are thinking of is the hard wired version where the power lead of the dashcam is connected to the fuse box. This is regarded as a modification by some insurance companies.

Thanks Wazza saved me typing the above out. cheers 🙂 Oh it’s joss not josh Philjb 🙂

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI

"Men fight for liberty & win it with hard knocks. Their children brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves" - D.H. Lawrence

#78519 Reply
    mzmps
    Participant

Philjb,

You can fit a dashcam as Wazza says, plug into the 12v socket, then either use a suction cup to fit to the windscreen, or sticky pads. The sticky pads can be removed with a bit of dental floss, to ease them off the glass, and/or old credit card size type bit of plastic to massage it off. Have done this in old cars to removes the sticky pads myself, then bit of glass cleaner.

About dashcams, this is the answer I got from Motability themselves:

“I can advise we are happy for you to have these in the car as long as they are not hard wired in and can be removed leaving no trace or damage.”

#78520 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Could anyone recommend a cheap but good dash cam ? Thankyou for your help

#78521 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I have an Halfords just 4 miles away

#78522 Reply
    Philjb

I see what you mean thanks.

As I’ve never had one or used one I’ll look into one.

I did manage to take a picture of the bus numbers on my mobile which was in my pocket after I’d got out quick as possible and hit my car car on a post. ?

#78528 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

How much does a dash cam cost ? I’ve never had one

I think the cheapest is £20 but unsure of the quality.

My set up only cost me £2.50. That was for the mobile holder. Had old smartphone. Download free dashcam. Been using this since around 2010. Waiting for it to fail before investing in a proper dashcam.

#78529 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

#78530 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

#78531 Reply
    vinalspin
    Participant

Morning Phil, sorry to hear about your crap night, I would have parked in front of the bus but I’m not as calm as you.

Calling the police is a must(you will only get a crime number but it will be evidence for insurance)

Ring the bus company and stress about the video(play the disability card)

Your car was mint so take good pictures of the damage today.

Just plug the dashcam into 12V socket and use suction cup for screen mount. If like me you go for one of the Nextbase cam’s then the mount holds the power and the cam just slides on and off magnetically, very easy and they range between 50-100 pounds for a decent one(just remember to remove it every time you leave the car)

#78532 Reply
    Wazza
    Participant

Tried to make this as one post but unable to. First pic my smartphone set up. I remove the phone everytime I leave the car. Second pic shows usb lead plugged in for power. The blue thing is the usb stick for music.

#78539 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

I can afford £20

#78542 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

I can afford £20

Didn’t Michin, Kirkwood, McVey take out a restraining order preventing you owning a camera Mike? LOL

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#78544 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Trev I got off with a warning lol ! Did you see streaker on 18 mins in last nights champions league final ? She was gorgeous her name is Kinsey Wolanski I’ve put photos on chat section on here her boyfriend spanked her bottom as she came off the pitch see you tube

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
Reply To: Hit and run bus driver.
Your information: