Help with fitting 13amp plug – my home electric

• This topic has 21 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Rachel.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #154955 Reply
    Rachel

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi,</p>
    my home electric supply is shown below. I’m not very savvy with technology and I’ve had a stroke  and live with my teenage daughter so please excuse the dust as I can’t clean it properly.
    The boxes are situated in the hallway so I got a quote from a local electrician to fit the 13amp socket.

He quoted £240.00 plus VAT for a double outdoor socket and a RCD circuit breaker inside. Does that sound reasonable?

I live in a 1970’s built 3 bed semi. I don’t think it’s ever been rewired but apparently the electrics are ‘sound’ at the moment. As you can see, there are 2 boxes. My local council fitted the newer one about 3 years ago when I had a wet room fitted.

I hope I haven’t confused or bored anyone, I can’t communicate as well as I could prior to the stroke.

Thanks,

Rachel.
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>Electric/fuse box?</p>

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154956 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Rachel, how far is the new distribution box from were the socket is going? Is it on the same wall? And what part of the country do you live in?

#154961 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

For a decent make of outdoor socket with RCD protection, you’re looking at around £60, the circuit breaker in the MCB in the consumer unit is another £10, cable, clips, and drilling to the outside to fit, probably a few hours work.  I’d say it was probably about the going rate for a qualified spark

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#154963 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

I’m not sure how up to date this website is, but it does give some ideas as to cost, a lot depends on how far he has to run cables etc, how easy it is to get to etc.

https://www.yourjobcost.co.uk/outdoor-power-socket-cost/

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#154966 Reply
    ajn

Well I haven’t got a clue about the charger instillation Rachel, however glad you worked out the posting pics situation. 👍

🌻

#154967 Reply
    Rachel

Thank you Wigwam and Intranicity, your advice is much appreciated!

Wigwam, the new distribution box will be on the other side of the wall – on my driveway. I think the electrician said it would be easy because it’s basically on the other side of the wall. I live in West Yorkshire, near Huddersfield.

Intranicity, thank you for the breakdown of the costs and sending me that link. I just need to decide now whether to hang on until the end of this quarter to see if the Mercedes EQA appears and if not, I will order the Volvo XC40 – if it’s still there to order!

Thanks,

Rachel😊

#154970 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

In my view, Rachel, given what you say, you should get another quote.  To me it’s a two hour job with a generous fag break and should cost half what you’ve been quoted, at most.  My local electrician here in Bournemouth charges £36 an hour plus the VAT. I doubt where you are would be any more.

#154978 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

For a decent make of outdoor socket with RCD protection, you’re looking at around £60, the circuit breaker in the MCB in the consumer unit is another £10, cable, clips, and drilling to the outside to fit, probably a few hours work. I’d say it was probably about the going rate for a qualified spark

Looks like the Hager board has a couple of RCBOs already fitted so would probably make more sense to fit another one for the outside socket instead of an RCD protected socket – overall less expensive and the whole cable run for the “fuse box” is protected as well as whatever is plugged into the outside socket.

#154984 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

My thoughts too TJ. So an RCBO, an IP66 double socket and a bit of cable through the same wall.  £240  + VAT ??

#154987 Reply
    Rachel

Thanks ajn, your instructions and diagram helped me a lot!👍🏻😊

#154988 Reply
    Rachel

Wigwam, your witty comments make me laugh 🤣 but seriously, thank you. I’ve got no clue whether I’m being ripped off or what I need. The new double socket would literally be on the other side of the wall.

I did wonder if the electrician who quoted me, couldn’t just fit ‘whatever’ there’re called to the new Hager board? Didn’t think it would be that easy though! That is the RCBO ‘things’ that you’re talking about T.J?

T.J – thank you too, it seems like it is that simple after all, just the electrician out to make as much money as possible from an unsuspecting customer?

I’m so glad that there’s people on this forum who can help people like me!

#155024 Reply
    Douglas Brimson

If you’re doing anything involving tradesmen, get more than one quote and listen to personal recommendations.

trustatrader.com are a great source.

#155056 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

Rachel, yup – it’s not really a big job at all and certainly something that even a newly qualified sparky can do with ease 🙂

Excuse the technical jargon but hopefully this will explain / help you understand a bit better what needs doing…

MCB (miniature circuit breaker) = protects the circuit / wiring from overload, pretty much the same sort of idea as the fuse in an extension lead but an MCB can be reset when the overload is resovled.

RCD (residual current device) = protects you from electric shock by detecting when current is going somewhere it shouldn’t for example running over the lawn mover cable or drilling through a cable.

RCBO (residual current breaker with over-current) = combines the functions of an MCB and RCD in one module

Your “old” consumer unit (fuse box) doesn’t have RCD protection and the law now requires that new circuits under most circumstances have it, this is why when the wet room was done the Hager board was added as it would have been easier and probably cheaper than trying to retrofit into the main house one.

In the case of the outside socket there are a few ways the electrician could go about it…

Fit another separate board similar to the small ones used in garages, sheds etc –  these typically have space for 3 MCBs with one RCD protecting them.  Is a bit overkill in your case but an option if they don’t want to touch the Hager board for whatever reason.

Fit an MCB in the Hager board and use an outside socket with its own built in RCD.  Would provide RCD protection to whatever us plugged in but not to cable between the MCB and the socket.  Depending on cable run / length this may not be an issue.

Fit an RCBO in the Hager board, provides RCD protection to both the cable and outside socket.  RCBO’s are a bit more expensive than MCBs but on the flipside it means a “normal” and cheaper outside socket can be used instead of a more expensive RCD one.

Sorry its a bit long winded and quite a bit to take in but hope its helps.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by T.J. Reason: Typos
    #155059 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

With regards to cost an RCBO is around £25-£35 and a standard (non RCD) outside socket £10-15, add in something for the cost of the cable, wall plugs, screws, silicon to seal around the socket etc and your looking at realistically no more than £50.

Labour rates of course vary from one end of the country to the other but £200 for what is a small job does seem rather steep….

Have you been in touch with council?  Ours offers a “handy man” service for the disabled, might be worth a call to see if they do similar – if nothing else they may be able to do it at a more reasonable cost especially if your a council tenant anyway.

#155138 Reply
    Rachel

Cheers Douglas – I certainly will after everyone’s comments here👍🏻

#155139 Reply
    Rachel

T.J – Thank you so much for your feedback and detailed explanation, it really does help me to understand what’s required 😊👍🏻.

I’m unable to work now due to worsening of my disability but I previously worked as a Registered Nurse in Theatres and ICU so a lot of that was ‘technical’ I suppose. I enjoy trying to learn new things and you explained it really well, thank you. My home is mortgaged, not a council property but as I’m now on a low income, I qualified for help from my local council to fit a wet room. I hadn’t thought of asking them if they could recommend an electrician so thanks for that too.

I just need to make my mind up then on either placing an order for the Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV or if I risk waiting for the Mercedes EQA to appear this quarter and the Volvo disappearing 🤷🏻‍♀️🙄!

#155144 Reply
    ajn

📣    Volvo 📢

only joking it’s a personal choice I guess, the down payment is a totally stupid price anyway…

#155149 Reply
    T.J
    Participant

No worries Rachel, glad it helped and sorry for assuming it was council home – our local one is very reluctant to do much of anything to private rented or homeowner property’s but nice to see that in your case they were able to assist 🙂

#155155 Reply
    Rachel

No problem T.J and no offence taken 😊. I’m lucky in the respect that I have a good physio, O.T and brain injury nurse. They applied to my council for funding for me for my bathroom to be converted. I didn’t expect to get it so it was a nice surprise when they said they could help me.

Thanks very much for your help👍🏻

#155157 Reply
    Rachel

ajn,  I never thought I’d consider a Volvo but my Grandad would be proud of me – he was a farmer and they were all he would ever drive.

I remember being about 6 year old and we went to market in his Volvo estate car and came back with a calf in the back. I threw up all the way back because of the stench 🤢🤮😷🤣!!!

#155158 Reply
    ajn

😂 just remember to stop off at the nearest farm on test drive make sure a calf will fit in 👍..

🌻

#155160 Reply
    Rachel

😆🤣🤣🤣…will do👍🏻

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Help with fitting 13amp plug – my home electric
Your information: