Has the process for getting a courtesy car changed.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Philjb 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #83053 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I haven’t had a courtesy car for years but have heard it’s changed. Anyone know what the procedure is?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #83082 Reply

joss
    Participant

Pretty simple really Brydo. If your car needs work at the dealer, then just advise them that you need a courtesy car. You are usually asked to bring your driving license and insurance papers. The courtesy car is covered with your motability ins.

Just a word of caution. You could potentially end up in a smaller car. Just be clear you need something like your current car. Usually provide a choice of autos as well.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#83089 Reply

Philjb

Mine went in for a software recall and they did a mini service, top up fluids, for me.

They had the car for a day.

So as said I took my insurance policy and my license and told them I need a like for like car.

Originally they were going to give me a golf estate.

But once they saw my disability they gave me a Tiguan 1.5 s which kangarood and stalled when cold? But apart from that it was all very simple.

#83096 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

I had been told that you need to contact DVLA and get a number from them that is taken to the dealer.

#83097 Reply

joss
    Participant

I had been told that you need to contact DVLA and get a number from them that is taken to the dealer.

Umm never heard of that one Brydo. Who told you that? It has nothing to do with DVLA as all the info is on your license.

You might find this useful Brydo https://www.motability.co.uk/information-for-customers/cars-and-wheelchair-accessible-vehicles-customer-area/temporary-replacement-vehicles

• This reply was modified 4 months, 4 weeks ago by  joss.

Joss
    Current car BMW X2 2.0 Sport sDrive Auto 2019
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#83101 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Joss it was my Volvo dealer they said that you don’t bring license and insurance to them but contact DVLA they check your details and give you a number that would be given to Volvo. They would then give you a courtesy car.

#83105 Reply

BigDave
    Participant

It is explained here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/hiring-a-vehicle

It is ever since they abolished the paper counterpart to a photo driving licence.

Motability dealers don’t usually request it – mostly it is hire car companies both in UK and in Europe that want to see it. I printed one off for my USA trip recently and they didn’t even look at it!

I presume if they are asking for one, that Volvo treat their courtesy cars like hire cars and want to know what motoring convictions/penalty points  you have/have not.

It shouldn’t really be needed as your Motability insurance covers courtesy cars loaned to you whilst your Motability car is with them, as opposed to using the Volvo dealers own ‘courtesy car’ insurance.

Dave

#83107 Reply

JS

Anytime (well a few years now) I’ve had to hire a van/car I’ve always had to supply the hire company with a licence checker code, most ask for it to be emailed to them 24hours in advance. Simple to do, takes a few minutes and valid for 21days.

Link I was sent a couple months back (van hire)

https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence

motability courtesy car wise all I’ve ever had to do is show identification and they’ve checked paper work to confirm I’m named on the insurance of ingoing  car, then they hand over the keys.

#83120 Reply

Footloose

Recently my golf gtd went to the dealers regarding corner lights issue and I mentioned I required a curtesy car as it would take a few days and I was working during the period the dealer then got eurocar to contact me to coincide with dropping my car off at dealers..when I got to the dealers the hire car was there which was a Citroen c5 aircross which is fine but it’s not as easy to drive a different vehicle with a disability and no one showed me the set up before driving away so it was a bit of a pickle however I managed to drive it on another note the car had several areas of what seemed weeks old bird poo over it solidified I then returned the vehicle to Arnold Clark and was expecting it to be fairly clean as I had valeted the vehicle prior to the service but it was filthy and so returned home and cleaned the car myself!

#83121 Reply

Winston

Ive had a few over the last few years, the last one being a couple of months back

with Audi is was really straightforward, all agreed at the the time I booked my car in, turned up with my driving licence and signed a few forms

Once thing I noticed over my 4 years of going there was they had a fleet of about 55 courtesy cars, only about 15 were automatic and the majority tended to A3 and Q2 towards the end

Whereas at the start they had a fee Q3 and Q5

They did say that it ever got to stage where I didn’t have a suitable couresty car available on the day for me they could get a 3rs party involved ( possibly eurocar ) but thankfully that scenario never happened

Was always a great experience and nice to look about the higher end motors in the showroom etc

Unfortunately I’m going to have to deal with Arnold Clark now for my current car when it comes to repairs, servicing etc and if you can’t get a decent sized automatic to test drive there is absolutely zero chance one will be available for a courtesy car ? but I’ll deal with that at the time ?

#83186 Reply

Philjb

I thought you only do that if you’re  hiring a car, but your not motability is as they pick up the bill.

It was only last month I had a courtesy car from vw, no mention of ringing DVLA?

Just bring your license and if you can a copy of your insurance, you have the same walk around noting any damage , then jobs a good un.

#83198 Reply

Menorca Mike
    Participant

I’ve had a new Passat for the day in the past when my Golf has had full service I felt like lord of the manor it was a big car

BBC Breakfast expert, VW Golf driver.

#83367 Reply

jordanc93
    Participant

If you want to be guaranteed a dealership courtesy car is available under the scheme rules you have to give the dealership three weeks notice prior to a service that you will need one. If you don’t give three weeks notice the dealership doesn’t have to provide a courtesy car.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  jordanc93.
    #83376 Reply

Philjb

I didn’t give three weeks notice?

I rang the vw booking line and they did everything.

My car was in within 10 days and the courtesy car was there waiting. That was only a month ago.

#83378 Reply

jordanc93
    Participant

You don’t have give three week notice but if you do then the dealership is responsible for guaranteeing their will be one on the day of service. Not giving three weeks notice allows a dealership to get out of providing one if they are have no courtesy cars available.

https://www.motability.co.uk/contact-and-support/faqs/when-is-a-courtesy-car-available

#83379 Reply

Philjb

The dealer gave me a choice of cars, booked at the time I booked the car in.

I think some of these rules are out of date, most dealers have a booking line and you tell them you need a car, while they have yours.

They even collected and delivered for free.

#83380 Reply

JS

Some dealers are part of big Groups and can source a vehicle more easier than  other individual or family run franchises, the info is the most upto date and allows for all eventualities . Good advice Jordan and something to note for those that want to guarantee a replacement vehicle.

#83385 Reply

Philjb

Agreed good advice if you know you have had trouble in the past getting a car.

I read that information but it’s not what has happened in my experience.

Nobody said you need to give us three weeks notice?

I wouldn’t let them take my car if they didn’t have a courtesy car for me.

Viewing 17 replies - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
Reply To: Has the process for getting a courtesy car changed.

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: