Has anyone painted over existing wallpaper?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

I’m about to decorate a room that hasn’t been used for decades. The room has existing wallpaper that is mostly sound but a border glued to it is less so. I’m looking to glue the border down properly as it won’t come off without ripping the wallpaper below.

I don’t want to go to all the bother of gluing then the wallpaper needs an expensive primer applied before applying the final paint coats if the border sticks out like a sore thumb.

So any info would be appreciated.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

The border will show through

Depending on the wallpaper will depend on whether you need a primer, sealer or all in one.

Anaglypter, you would technically beable to paint straight over it using a waterdowned paint base first to act as a sealer

Vinyl, would need a primer or sealer or all in one primer sealer.

Brydo
        Participant

Cheers Kezo I had my concerns about painting over it but was hoping it would be ok-ish lol.

It’s a big room so I was trying to do the least amount of work to get an acceptable painted finish.

joss

I guess the ideal solution would be to remove the wall paper and border. Then prep the walls and either emulsion the bare walls if in good condition, or repaper using anaglypta type paper. That way it’s just a matter of re painting in the future. That is what I would do @Brydo.

Alternatively, you could try a wider border to cover over the old one, should you be able to glue it down successfully.

Or get a decorator in to strip and paint.

Joss
            Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Participant

yeah get the stripper in…. or pay someone.. i had woodchip in my livingroom. it stayed on as it had bonded with the plasterboard. had to find a very thick underpaper to start with then anaglypta on top

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
              Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Brydo
              Participant

The problem I have is that up here we do not plaster over plasterboard we just tape the joints. I let my daughter remove the wallpaper that was on previously and she pulled a lot of the plasterboard paper off. If I remove the current wallpaper I will need to repair the areas of torn paper or wallpaper the entire room again.

I have decided to remove all of the existing wallpaper and put up lining paper then paint it. I could put up a nice wallpaper again but my kids tell my that wallpaper is old fashioned and I should use paint instead ๐Ÿค”

kezo
                Participant

Depending on how good and the type of wallpaper up, it is more than possible to wallpaper over wallpaper with the right stuff.

Brydo
                  Participant

The existing wallpaper has a texture so any new wallpaper would need to accommodate that but it’s a good idea. I would need to get a decent lining paper but it could be achievable.

Ioniq
                    Participant

Always, if you want to hide anything, use Matt paint.

The last guy that did my decorating was supposed to be retired, but kept working. One of his tricks was to mix emulsion with 25% masonry paint. It covers everything.

He did my neighbours house, a lifelong smoker and it covered the nicotne walls easily. Usually when you mobilise that stuff with normal emulsion , it soaks through.

Brydo
                      Participant

Decided to strip it all off.

Brydo
                        Participant

Painting gloss and emulsion tomorrow, window and skirting (gloss) ย and ceiling emulsion. Off to B and Q tonight to get wallpaper, busy week.

kezo
                          Participant

anaglypta and you can paint it every couple of years or so.

Brydo
                            Participant

All done!

Brydo
                              Participant

kezo
                                Participant

Looks great mate ๐Ÿ™‚

Brydo
                                  Participant

Thanks kezo it was a slog ๐Ÿ˜…

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.