Has anyone ordered a car then not heard from the dealer to even confirm a date

• Creator
    Topic
  • #175630 Reply
    Chris

I ordered a kona ev ultimate on January 14th  went smooth was told April left it at that came home 2 days went passed and I noticed my application had been rejected rang up motability to find out why which was sorted Monday. 17th I rang the dealer to tell him to remove me from the driver as it was a little early and I wasn’t the age for the car now I emailed him to confirm the date to be April as I seen the car had started to get a backlog of orders and was a 5+ wait and he hasn’t got backed to me been 2 weeks still no reply so I sent it again and still nothing????

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #175633 Reply
    Kacper

Ordered a RAV4 in July 2021, was told initially it would be delivered December. I haven’t heard anything since and the dealer is not returning my phone calls.

#175634 Reply
    struth
    Participant

maybe go into place and politely confront him/them.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#175636 Reply
    Chris

I do want to but it is early as far as him saying April but then I just want some conformation

#175637 Reply
    Chris

Sorry that made no sense I was meant to say I want to but I think I might leave it a month before doing so just annoying how he can’t be bothered to even answer my email

#175639 Reply
    kbfern

If the dealer has taken your order you would get a confirmation from Motability within a week or so, if you have heard nothing they have not placed an order with the factory IMV.

#175640 Reply
    Chris

I kinda disagree with that nothing is that quick

#175641 Reply
    Chris

I’ve had a letter and email to confirm my order and stuff just not a date yet

#175642 Reply
    Chris

Except what the dealer said on that day

#175643 Reply
    Chris

Also got my pin

#175647 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Yup. Same here, VW Lookers in Carlisle don’t respond to my monthly emails requesting updates.

@Chris
    , have you started the home charger process yet?

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#175648 Reply
    Em

Not heard a thing since September was told December   I’m not going to chase them as I doubt they have no idea when I will get the car and just will give me a guess date then I will get annoyed when it misses it again,  Better off just waiting  for the call or email just the way it is and will be for a least another year.

#175650 Reply
    Whitney
    Participant

Hi Chris,

With the way that the car situation is now, you wouldn’t get a confirmed date until a good few months after the order is placed with the factory.

i.e I ordered a Kuga Sept 21 and my order status remained ‘confirmed with no predicted build date’ until January 22, when I was informed by my dealer to say the status changed to include a build date of the end of Jan 22 and a VIN number.

In that space of time between Sept and Jan, nothing had changed but I received emails from my dealer every month or so to confirm that. I would ask for regular updates (maybe every fortnight after the first couple months) to keep you in the loop.

#175651 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

This issue crops up all the time on this forum and almost always means that the dealer hasn’t ordered the car yet as they don’t have any available build allocation slots, or those that they do have, have been allocated to private customers.

Just to clear up one thing mentioned on this thread that confuses people. Anything from Motability (whether online or paper) that shows your new vehicle is NOT an order or even confirmation of an order. It is merely showing you that Motability has agreed that the dealership can order this car for you. The order itself is an entirely different process. You cannot see this on the Motability website at any stage and Motability staff have no knowledge of it either. That’s why if you ever call Motability regarding the progress of your order they will just tell you to speak to the dealership or the manufacturer, because they have no visibility of the order progress whatsoever. Anticipated delivery dates are a best guess from a dealership and mean nothing. They certainly aren’t confirmation that you car has actually been ordered.

The way it works is that when you go into a dealer and you think that you have ordered a car, you haven’t. You have merely said that you want to order that car. Whilst you are there, the dealer inputs your request onto the Motability system. Motability agree that you can order that car at the AP quoted. You leave the dealership thinking that you have ordered a car, but you haven’t. The actual order is something that happens between the dealership and the manufacturer and may not happen until many months after you think you have ordered the car. Dealerships are allocated a limited number of ‘build allocation slots’ for each type of car each month. There will be other customers in the queue who ordered before you (sometimes many months before you) who will be allocated a slot before you are allocated one.

Nine times out of ten the dealership will not be honest with you about whether they have actually ordered your car. They will imply that they have and will just blame long delays on the manufacturer. In an ideal world, when a Motability customer goes into a showroom to order a car, the dealer would say something like “We are happy to accept your order, but we have 20 orders ahead of you and we are currently getting around 5 build slot allocations for that particular car every month, so it’s likely to be 4 months until we can even place the order for you”. Of course, they won’t say that because you will then shop around and could find a dealer where the wait may be much less, or a dealer where there may even be no wait at all if they have no backlog of orders for that particular car. So dealers imply that they can order the car now but in reality often sit on your order for months until they can actually place it.

The above explains why two different customers on this forum can order the same car on the same day at two different dealerships and one gets the car in 6 months and the other gets the car in 9 months. In the latter case, the dealer wasn’t able to actually place the order until 3 months later than the first dealer due to their backlog of orders versus their build allocation slots.

So, what do you do? Two things. Firstly, when you want to order a car, ask the dealership where they are with “build allocation slots” for the specific model of car that you want and if they don’t have an immediately available slot ask how many months it is likely to be until they can actually place your order with the manufacturer. Don’t be afraid to shop around different dealerships. The answers you will get (if they are being honest) will vary by many months. Secondly, make it clear that you want a manufacturer order number as soon as the dealer is able to place the order. This is NOT the number on any order paperwork (that is a dealer order number for internal use only and is not an actual order with the manufacturer) and it is also nothing to do with Motability so is never visible to them. Only when you get a manufacturer order number that enables you to contact the manufacturer to ask for a progress update has your order actually been placed.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by Glos Guy.
    #175655 Reply
    Dante

GlosGuy that’s a brilliant explanation and rationale & indeed should be a pint of good practice for dealers to be open and honest with customers. In 20+ years as a motability customer I’ve maybe had one good ‘motability advisor’ – the motability accreditation system isn’t fit for purpose.
    it’s always good to read the rare nugget of people having dealt with a food dealer.
    And the current industry issues withstanding, and a wide variation in manufacturer logistics and CRM.

i think most people would rather have an explanation like you’ve articulated above

#175660 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

GlosGuy that’s a brilliant explanation and rationale & indeed should be a pint of good practice for dealers to be open and honest with customers. In 20+ years as a motability customer I’ve maybe had one good ‘motability advisor’ – the motability accreditation system isn’t fit for purpose. it’s always good to read the rare nugget of people having dealt with a food dealer. And the current industry issues withstanding, and a wide variation in manufacturer logistics and CRM. i think most people would rather have an explanation like you’ve articulated above

I learnt the hard way Dante, after a bad experience with our first Motability car at a VW dealership. I didn’t understand how the system worked at that stage and assumed that the car had been ordered only to find out two months later that it hadn’t. Now I specifically ask the questions that I mentioned.

When we ordered our current car last year I asked the BMW sales person (who I trust, having ordered privately from them) whether they had any available build allocations for X1’s. They didn’t, but hoped to within 1 to 2 months. As we had negotiated nearly £1k discount off the AP and options I accepted that, but said that if it hadn’t moved to a firm order within that time I would cancel. A week later, the AP dropped £100. The dealer cancelled the order on the Motability system and re-entered it at the lower AP without me even asking, which was great service. Obviously this didn’t affect the ‘actual’ order as it hadn’t yet been placed with BMW. Within a few weeks, the dealer called me to say that they had spotted a cancelled order for an M-Sport model at a different dealership and had called them to ask if they could have it. They were successful and changed that order to the X-Line that we wanted. We got the car in less than 4 months from when we first visited the dealership, and that was during the early stages of the chip shortage.

There are very good sales people out there, but they are few and far between. If you know the right questions to ask it is far more difficult for them to bluff.

#175664 Reply
    Chris

@dumfries I haven’t opted for one as I haven’t got a drive unfortunately so I’d be using public chargers

#175667 Reply
    Capuchin

Not heard a thing, despite chasing up with Hyundai U.K. 4 times now and then sending off a request to the factory.

#175668 Reply
    Chris

And that’s not good news but nothing I can do but ring to find out

#175687 Reply
    NanasRob71
    Participant

This isn’t new.

Twenty years ago I ordered a Ford Mondeo and the dealer called three weeks before delivery to tell me he ‘cant find stock’ and ‘its a bit of a blow, isn’t it’. (And back then there was no Motability lease  extensions. I had no car for 5 weeks whilst I sourced another)

In 2017 I ordered a Seat Leon (the £150 super deal) which took 9 months to be delivered. Dealer told me initially it would be ‘about 3 months’ for delivery. Not once did I hear from him, and it was up to me to chase.

#175712 Reply
    Chris

Got some news car has been ordered factory accepted my order And it has been dated for 1/05/2022

#175715 Reply
    Djw38uk

I’ve ordered three cars from the same (Ford) dealer. Constant emails throughout as and when any changes and a phone call once delivery date confirmed.

#175928 Reply
    Javert

Interesting thread as we are trying to order a car for my wife who recently became entitled to this.

I assume that if the dealer has not yet placed the order to the factory, you can cancel the order with no penalty – actually, up to what point could you cancel your order without any obligation?

Also – when you place the order that locks in the advance payment at that price does it?

Does this work the same way with all cars – MG dealer told me yesterday that if we placed an order we could get a car on 28th May as he could see when they would arrive in the country – based on the discussion on this thread, this must be cobblers?

#175935 Reply
    milligan
    Participant

Reordered a RAV4 on the 6th January (original order placed Sep 22nd 2021) because the original order was cancelled by Toyota due to the My22 build being implemented. Fleet cars (which includes Motability orders) that were not allocated a build slot were cancelled I believe.

The RAV reappeared on the Motability Website on Jan 1 2022 and even better, there was a listing for the AWD Excel which is the one I ordered on the 6th Jan. On about 8th Jan, the RAV 4 AWD was removed from the website, lucky I got my order in at the right time methinks. Anyway, the dealership found that while Motability had approved the order, Toyota wouldn’t allow the dealership to order one!

The upshot is that my order was reordered (again) on the 7th January as a 2WD which unfortunately had nearly £1K more on the Advance Payment (AP) I have to make. I contested this and it is now at the original AP from the Jan 6 order weyhey.

I questioned the dealership about allocations of order etc and they were absolutely adamant that they have NO CONTROL over when the car will be built and definitely not any ‘monthly allocations’ etc. As far as they are concerned the build date for the car is completely out of their hands and remains with Big Toyota.

The best estimate that I have been given for my car delivery is ‘probably October 22’ at the moment, and they don’t expect me to get a hard build date until maybe May/June. It is all very frustrating but I am fairly sure most of the car manufacturers have similar problems so I am going to sit and wait with fingers crossed that they don’t decide on a My23 and cancel my bloody order again!!

#175937 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Reordered a RAV4 on the 6th January (original order placed Sep 22nd 2021) because the original order was cancelled by Toyota due to the My22 build being implemented. Fleet cars (which includes Motability orders) that were not allocated a build slot were cancelled I believe. The RAV reappeared on the Motability Website on Jan 1 2022 and even better, there was a listing for the AWD Excel which is the one I ordered on the 6th Jan. On about 8th Jan, the RAV 4 AWD was removed from the website, lucky I got my order in at the right time methinks. Anyway, the dealership found that while Motability had approved the order, Toyota wouldn’t allow the dealership to order one! The upshot is that my order was reordered (again) on the 7th January as a 2WD which unfortunately had nearly £1K more on the Advance Payment (AP) I have to make. I contested this and it is now at the original AP from the Jan 6 order weyhey. I questioned the dealership about allocations of order etc and they were absolutely adamant that they have NO CONTROL over when the car will be built and definitely not any ‘monthly allocations’ etc. As far as they are concerned the build date for the car is completely out of their hands and remains with Big Toyota. The best estimate that I have been given for my car delivery is ‘probably October 22’ at the moment, and they don’t expect me to get a hard build date until maybe May/June. It is all very frustrating but I am fairly sure most of the car manufacturers have similar problems so I am going to sit and wait with fingers crossed that they don’t decide on a My23 and cancel my bloody order again!!

Its true that dealers don’t have any control over when a car is built, but that’s not what build slot allocations are. Although generally known in the trade as Build Slot Allocations this means allocations for when orders can be placed with the manufacturer, not when they can be built – so very different. Once a dealer secures its new allocations they place orders for the next batch of outstanding customer orders in their queue. Each order is given a provisional build or delivery date but this usually changes several times. Toyota may have a slightly different system to other manufacturers for all I know (or call it something else), but I think you were possibly confusing two very different things – order allocations and build dates.

#175994 Reply
    Micky

That’s interesting glossguy, my order taken April 21, placed June 21 told it had build slot ,it’s now been 8months of polite patient waiting ,latest dealer contact said stock had been released by mercedes ,he found exact match to my ordered car, put a reserve on it for march delivery, but said given the problems recently he awaits an official mercedes  confirmation yes, dealer seems to be good .

So I hope ,he said twice  ( I think we have pulled it off )

I hope so ,if it turns out to be another disappointment ,well I’m used to that.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Has anyone ordered a car then not heard from the dealer to even confirm a date
Your information: