had cx5 for a week now

• Creator
    Topic
  • #62831 Reply
    coralie winship

hi all ok need ya help had the cx5 for a week now only done 383 miles in in and all ready put 55 pounds in the tank it says am only getting 35 mpg now this has got me very worried cause I cant afford 55 a week to put in the thing will this or could it get better as time goes on please help my head is done in

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #63166 Reply
    whisky
    Participant

Hi coralie,

I cancelled an order back in July after discovering how bad its real world fuel economy was. It is a major consideration for a lot of people on the scheme, and also one that can be easily overlooked in all the excitement associated with choosing your shiny new car.

Diesel engined cars will give you much better fuel economy and there is far wider choice of diesels to choose from on Motability than phev’s.

Going from info on another thread, it seems the sooner you do this the less of your AP you lose, as it’s done on a pro-rata basis. I would assume on a monthly basis but Mota do not make it clear.

From Motability:

Please note that if you cancel your agreement we will charge an administration fee of up to £250 to cover our costs and you will not be entitled to a Good Condition Bonus . Any Advance Payment you have paid may be refunded on a pro-rata basis, less any administration, where applicable. Please be aware that your eligibility for the Motability Scheme may be affected if you cancel your agreement more than three times in any seven year period.

Might be best to contact them to let them know of your problem and find out how much of your AP will be refunded.

#63167 Reply
    coralie winship

hi trev I had the chr and the only reason I got rid of it is because the gas pedal jammed at 50 and it scared the living crap out of me it took me about 2 miles to stop my car so was to scared to drive it after that

#63203 Reply
    Littledave

We had the previous CX-5 petrol model. We only achieved 35 mpg over the 3 years we had it.

#63220 Reply
    Mike

Omg Dave that’s terrible I couldn’t live with that mpg

#63221 Reply
    coralie winship

that’s the best I can get do and am driving like miss daisy lol even my kids have asked why am driving so slow I took the cx5 for an hours drive up the fells and omg I can only get 29mpg and I seam to have a flat spot from 1st to 2nd gear dosnt want to move the car much lol I have to floor it just to pull away but am hoping its cause I had a hybrid and that was fast off the mark or pulling away from a junction I am gutted cause I really love this car but at this rate it will stay on my drive or have a fuel station on tow

#63223 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

I am on the Ford Kuga Owners club forum, the Kuga 1.5 auto are recording figure on the low 20’s 22 -25mpg. 35mpg is good, the motor trade are reporting some people who changed over to petrol are changing back to diesel.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#63224 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

I think Littledaves mpg is what you can expect from a big petrol car – it’s no diesel! There will be far worse mpg from big petrol cars.

The rule of thumb has always been if you have a heavy car and want good mpg, and torque you have a diesel, if you are willing to compromise and do minimal mileage than a petrol is a consideration. Of course that has all changed with the phev’s but only still if you do shorter journeys – on longer journeys you’ll be back to petrol power and lower mpg.

So what’s your plan of action Coralie – are you going to get down to the dealers and see the offerings?

If you are doing more just trips to the school and back, Whisky makes a very valid point that a diesel suv may be your best overall option –

You can get a Vauxhall Grandland X in auto diesel for as little as £499 AP this quarter – with your pro-rata AP refund on the cx-5, it would cover the early termination fee, the AP, and still leave change in your pocket.

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#63226 Reply
    Mike

Fords have always been poor on mpg the new Fiesta 1 litre auto is shocking I’ve read owner reviews

#63228 Reply
    garry
    Participant

From very recent experience:

Admin is a sliding scale from £0 to £250 depending on the reason for the change. Medical condition changes = less admin charge / whim = max charge

(mine was £50) Motability put a note on your account from the date they agree to the change and it remains valid for 6 months ( so you can pay the admin charge and change anytime in that 6 month window)

AP,s are on a pro-rata basis calculated from start of  current contract to start of new contract.

Example:  Original AP Audi Q3 £2099 divide  36 = £58.31 by the time my new car contract starts say 15 months

36 – 15 = 21 months remaining so multiply £58.31 by 21 = £1224.51 refunded from original AP

you need to pay new contract AP plus any options and adaptation costs, then you receive a cheque  from motability for AP refund a few days later

You lose your right to any good condition bonus on your current car but do qualify to it on your new contract

#63236 Reply
    whisky
    Participant

This post from Garry is the clearest and most informative one on the subject of early termination/changing an unsuitable car early.

From very recent experience:

Admin is a sliding scale from £0 to £250 depending on the reason for the change. Medical condition changes = less admin charge / whim = max charge

(mine was £50) Motability put a note on your account from the date they agree to the change and it remains valid for 6 months ( so you can pay the admin charge and change anytime in that 6 month window)

AP,s are on a pro-rata basis calculated from start of  current contract to start of new contract.

Example:  Original AP Audi Q3 £2099 divide  36 = £58.31 by the time my new car contract starts say 15 months

36 – 15 = 21 months remaining so multiply £58.31 by 21 = £1224.51 refunded from original AP

you need to pay new contract AP plus any options and adaptation costs, then you receive a cheque  from motability for AP refund a few days later

You lose your right to any good condition bonus on your current car but do qualify to it on your new contract.

On Fords, my 1.6 petrol Focus titanium only gets 35 mpg. Thankfully changing it next week.

#63241 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

The mobility site shows the Mazda CX5 automatic 42.5mpg and Ford Kuga 2.0 180bhp diesel automatic 43.8, the Kuga is not far of the mark, but the Mazda is very misleading.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#63245 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Mobility shows the manual at 44.1 mpg, had mine 3 weeks and i’m average 42.2 mpg…. i think that’s pretty much on the money. Individual mpg figures will differ by driving style, and location.

#63246 Reply
    coralie winship

wow wish I was getting that I have an auto had it 2 weeks on sat and can only just manage 34mpg but that was last week mileage  this week I can only get 28mpg spent about 90 pounds on fuel in this time and I only have a quarter tank of fuel left so I cant afford to run this car if this is all I can get

#63247 Reply
    Billy

Hi yeah got to agree with trev. I’ve been watching this topic with interest as I’ve just ordered sport nav manual in deep crystal blue. My brother drives an auto with 11000 miles on clock and is achieving 42mpg Ave . I’m not sure what some people expect after all its a 2.0ltr and fairy large car. Then also concider the ridiculously low AP for a vehicle of this quality 1199 as opposed to a diesel x trail for instance 2899. That’s 1700 pounds to spend on petrol  I will let you work out how many happy miles you will enjoy in your cx5

#63249 Reply
    coralie winship

hi  billy what kind of road use does he use cause I just use mine for school runs and hospital apps I know everyone diff in there driving

#63250 Reply
    Marcus

Hi,

I’m picking up my 2.0 petrol sport nav manual tomorrow, I will see how it fairs. I’m leaving a 1.5 tsi golf and that only managed around 42mpg, a lot lighter car and with two cylinder deactivation!

I wouldn’t be surprised your car settles down and starts to give better mpg in the future.

Marcus

#63251 Reply
    Billy

Hi coralie he does a 20 mile commute each day motorway making up 15miles of that city driving 5 miles  I’ve just spoke to him and he said he was achieving 36/38mpg for first couple of thousand miles maybe this was a mix of running car in and adjusting your driving habits. If you still feel there’s something not right take it to dealer and ask to have it checked. Hope this helps a little because they are lovely cars  take care.

#63253 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

enjoy tomorrow Marcus, look forward to the photos.

#63264 Reply
    Mike

Marcus I’m surprised at your Golfs mpg is it the 150 bhp version ? My 1.5 tsi dsg 130 bhp average 55 mpg

#63265 Reply
    Mike

I drove my Golf out of the showroom on March 16th it had done zero miles my first tank full got 650 miles

#63268 Reply
    Marcus

Yes Mike it’s the 150 bhp version and I’m a tad right foot heavy!

#63269 Reply
    Marcus

One sleep it’s like Christmas, my 13 year old son told me to calm down it’s only a car lol but he wants picking up from school in it tomorrow…

Photos to follow tomorrow Trev, bound to be up at 5 pacing around?

#63433 Reply
    djbasics
    Participant

After test driving the CX-5 i can totally agree with Trev, it is about enjoying the ride with this car, it felt comfortable, I like to put my foot down sometimes, but this wasn’t telling me to do that. very nice car indeed

#64324 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

I really feel that on motability which is for rich or poor disabled you should get vat or tax free fuel in uk as its these costs that the poorest motability customers need with the austerity taking place i know some will say you have to pay the biggest con the 20% vat on most goods even fruit juice holy moly? exceipt disability equipment.

#64385 Reply
    daveblue
    Participant

By the way i saw a post on this forum about uni credit that labour has not said it will scrap it well i just saw a guardian article with john mcdonnell says he will scrap it but there is a vote coming soon on rules of the credit that the gov may lose although it will not effect me as i have a private pension but i do not like seeing people having to go to food banks due to being destitute in 2018.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
Reply To: had cx5 for a week now
Your information: