had cx5 for a week now

• Creator
    Topic
  • #62831 Reply
    coralie winship

hi all ok need ya help had the cx5 for a week now only done 383 miles in in and all ready put 55 pounds in the tank it says am only getting 35 mpg now this has got me very worried cause I cant afford 55 a week to put in the thing will this or could it get better as time goes on please help my head is done in

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #62833 Reply
    Matt
    Participant

Hi Coralie what’s the engine and transmission

#62838 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Hi Coralie,

You may have forgotten, you stated a thread on the same subject here –

https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/forums/topic/running-costs/ 

I’ve closed that one now so to avoid any repetition and confusion – please keep the discussion on this thread, thanks.

I take it you have the 2.0L petrol…. thus my reply is on that assumption –

The book figures are – combined 44.1mpg manual, 42.8 auto, urban 36.7mpg manual, 36.2mpg auto.

Thus if you do have the petrol, the car is behaving as it should. I would expect to see a little improvement over time, but not significantly.

Did you not consider fuel consumption when you choose the cx-5, being that it is a big car and petrol?

Mota History - Nissan Qashqai Ford Focus Seat Leon ST Mazda CX-5

#62844 Reply
    Mike

I didn’t have a Mazda CX 3 auto because of the poor fuel consumption I’d read owner reviews that’s why I had another Golf I’m getting around 600 miles on £50 but it’s how you drive and my Golf 1s mostly in 2 cyclinder mode etc .

#62847 Reply
    Mike

Please note yes I said CX 3 not the CX 5 which of course is bigger and heavier

#62848 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Apparently you have to be a light footed driver with the petrol CX5 dare I say you may need to change you driving style.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#62849 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

You not wrong there Oscarmax, the missus and i had a conversation only yesterday about it, and how luxurious the car feels inside, it naturally makes you want to lift the foot, enjoy the ride and cruise.

My previous car was a Seat Leon, similar engine to what Mike has, lower down, sport design as was FR trim and car felt like it wanted to get from A-B in the quickest time.

The Leon was about getting to the destination as fast as possible, the CX-5 is about enjoying the journey….. apologies for the cliche lol

#62851 Reply
    Mike

Yes Trev and with all your extras standard totally luxury I would love an electric tilt slide sunroof Etc

#62855 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

35mpg for a large SUV with such low mileage is not bad, we have a Ford Kuga 150 diesel powershift (auto) new we were getting just below 40mpg.

In the autumn onwards you will get lower mpg regardless to whether it is a petrol or diesel, in the summer we get around 44mpg, in the winter we struggle to get 40mpg.

Once you get a few miles on the clock (you will have noticed the CX5 owner mileage is improving) you will probably find the mpg improves, this due to two things (a) the engine is loosening up and more importantly (b) you are learning the characteristics of the car, i.e. were the torque curve is.

Unfortunately you will also find some of the users who are getting very good mpg have  very good spatial awareness anticipating traffic conditions, this just a fact of life.

If you compare your CX5 to a petrol Ford Kuga 1.5 petrol you will find your fuel consumption is good.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#62856 Reply
    Matt

Auto Cx-5 on the way, I’m looking at things as no insurance, no tax, no repair bills, no servicing costs. Fuel is an afterthought, though I fully appreciate that it can be a concern.

Have you considered an alternative? What would you switch to if Motability accepted that you made a mistake and charged £250 to switch? You should weigh up some alternative suitable vehicles if it’s something that is going to be cost prohibitive going forward. At least that way you are showing Motability that this time you have done more research (that’s supposed to come across in the nicest way, we’re all guilty of missing things!).

#62911 Reply
    Winston

I’ve never sat in let alone drove a CX-5 but like any car your MPG can be affected by the type of journeys you undertake ie if you do your 400 miles cruising along the motorway/dual carriage ways etc  then you’ll be at optimum fuel efficieny and on the other hand if you did your 400 miles driving round your local town Just going from A to B then that will use up your fuel slightly faster

I’m not sure if you car has driving modes such as Sport, Economy, Comfort etc. These can also have an impact on your MPG

#63118 Reply
    Rapster
    Participant

You also have to factor in losing all your AP money for the CX-5 as well as the £250 break of contract administration fee. Can you afford to lose that?

#63119 Reply
    Rapster
    Participant

However, considering the car’s consumption, it sounds entirely normal. The CX-5 weighs just over 2 tonnes, that’s a lot of car to push along. To be honest, 35 mpg isn’t actually that bad considering the aforementioned.

#63128 Reply
    Macca

The whole of the AP would not be lost, motability return it pro-rata, i.e they deduct a portion equivalent to time that the car was driven for. This happened to my wife in 2013 when she had to end an abysmal Vauxhall Mokka. The only downside was that we had to find the AP for the replacement car before we got most of the Mokka’s AP back a couple of weeks later.

Regards the mpg on the CX5, what you’re getting is to be expected and as others have said will improve with running the car in, and improved driving habits.

#63129 Reply
    coralie winship

at the min I am only driving the kids to school took the kids to school yesterday and only managed 24mpg I don’t put my foot down am just trying to find my feet cause my last car was a hybrid so am trying not to go from that if you know what I mean

#63131 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

383 miles a week just taking the kids to school!! My i suggest moving them to a closer school? lol

Seriously though, i’m afraid you will never get anywhere near the mpg of a hybrid, and short runs with a cold engine means you will never reach the full potential of the cars capable mpg… any fossil fuelled car.

You aren’t doing long enough runs for the engine to warm up, thus at least you know there is no fault with the car. This is a hard lesson to learn, and perhaps if you need a high-up , large car for only taking the kids to school and back, then you should consider taking a short term financial hit and look at changing to the Outlander Phev @ £1999 ap but for those short journeys you’ll be running on electric alone.

#63137 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Nearly forgot to add Coralie, if considering a Phev you must look at your charging options – these vehicles ideally need a home charging option – i’m unsure, but with motability at may be mandatory to have a home charger, and this can only be provided if you have a private driveway.

There are grants currently available to assist in the installation of a home charger, but for phev’s this grant expires very soon, so speed will be of the utmost importance.

Hopefully Brydo will see this and add his expertise views.

#63138 Reply
    Mike

Trev couldn’t she get an Ioniq or Auris hybrid virtually no advance payment ?

#63139 Reply
    Mike

Then if the congested school runs are short trips up to 40 mph she would be in electric mode

#63141 Reply
    coralie winship

thanks guys for all the help I will look into this and yes I think I will have to bite the bullet and a take a loss expensive lesson to learn for sure

#63142 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Sure could Mike, but I read it as Coralie went from a hybrid to a higher up, larger car – hence recommending a phev with the same criteria.

If Coralie would like to post what her specific requirements are we could advise her of options.

#63143 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Coralie, if you would like to post your specific requirements in terms of what you need from the car, ride height, size, etc I’m sure people here will kindly post their recommendations.

#63146 Reply
    coralie winship

Hi trev I like abit higher sitting cause of lower back is degrading but I like a bit of horse power for when I do over take but also like good mpg need heated seats and a boot that fits atleast my crutches I also need a satnav

#63149 Reply
    coralie winship

opps forgot to say I need an auto cause my hip pops out of its socket  if I drive a manual this is due to a fall at work in 2001

#63160 Reply
    Trev
    Participant

Coralie, we are limited on the scheme to high seating, hybrid vehicles. 2 spring to mind –

The Mini Countryman 4wd for £1749 AP

Outlander 4wd for £1999 AP

Both these are auto’s – all hybrids are – and will have more ‘beef’ than the cx-5.

Lower seating you have more options, and are less expensive options as well – perhaps worth visiting a showroom just to see how you feel sitting in them?

My recommendations would be –

Hyundai IONIQ 1.6 GDi Premium Hybrid 5dr – £199 AP

Kia Niro 1.6 GDi 2 5dr – £349 AP

There are many other options for a ‘hatchback’ medium hybrid car – List Here, but as for SUV type, the 2 mentioned are really all i can think of.

My recommendations come from knowledge of what is on the scheme, i haven’t personally driven any – hopefully people who have will come forward with their views.

Which hybrid did you have prior to the cx-5, and what made you change to the cx-5, was it just for the higher riding position? as if so, how do you find the cx-5 excluding fuel economy?

If you like everything else about the cx-5, than the mini and outlander are the 2 i think you would be most happy with.

Please bear in mind, if you do decide to change, ensure you are taking in to account how your condition needs may change in a year, 2 years, 3 years time – as that’s the length of the lease, you don’t want to end up having the same problem 2 years or so down the line – of course we cannot predict what is going to happen, but think carefully, and please feel free to ask anymore questions.

#63164 Reply
    JS

WMCForum recently posted this, high AP but ticks lots of boxes

The New Kia Sportage with the 48v ‘Mild Hybrid’ system has sneaked onto the Scheme so the Hyundai should be added at some point.

The Sportage is £3749 AP in top GT Line S trim.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/kia/sportage/first-drives/kia-sportage-gt-line-s-20-crdi-48v-2018-review

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
Reply To: had cx5 for a week now
Your information: