GRIDSERVE hikes EV charging prices due to ‘spiraling costs’

• Creator
    Topic
  • #174372 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

GRIDSERVE has raised the price of electric vehicle (EV) charging on its network after what it said are “unprecedented spiraling costs” affecting the entire energy sector.

For medium power chargers (typically 60kW) the price is increasing from 30p to 39p/kWh, while pricing for high power chargers (up to 350kW) at the company’s new Electric Hubs is 45p/kWh.

Pricing at the Electric Forecourts, however, is to remain at 39p/kWh, even for the 350kW chargers, due to the onsite solar generation and battery storage, which gives the company more control over energy and distribution costs.

GRIDSERVE said it is continuing to invest in new solar and battery storage projects to provide energy to its EV charging network, the company said, helping to protect customers against the type of price hikes and instability that is currently affecting the energy market.

The company added that it believes it is the last major network to announce an increase in prices.

It follows InstaVolt raising its prices from 40p/kWh to 45p/kWh from 1 December as a result of the increases in the wholesale price of energy, while bp pulse also increased its prices from December stating in an email to customers that the charging network is “no longer able to absorb the rising costs”.

Meanwhile, Osprey Charging told Current± last month that it made a price increase in August 2021 from 36p/kWh to 40p/kWh, with this being due to a mix of wholesale prices as well as the confirmation from HMRC that VAT on the electricity used for EV charging should be 20%.

Last month Current± was also told by on-street charging firm Connected Kerb that it had no plans to increase its pricing, although it was monitoring the situation closely, while IONITY also stated they had no plans to increase prices as of early December.

GRIDSERVE’s price increase follows the company acquiring the Electric Highway from Ecotricity and committing to replacing all of the existing legacy chargers, with 75% of these works completed as of 9 December 2021.

The company is also to open 20 of its Electric Hubs by Q2 2022, with 13 currently in construction.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #174374 Reply
    Jojoe

Wow, just wow, as a small business owner I’d love to have a captive clientele and be able to raise my prices by 25% in one day!

#174376 Reply
    MickC
    Participant

And so it begins.

#174383 Reply
    James

I can imagine in years to come well all be saying can you remember how cheap petrol was at £1.40 a litre and how expensive it is to run an ev now.

I believe some are 69p per kW like ionity

EV’s aren’t great in the winter when you’ve got to heat the battery and for those who are only doing short journeys could see less than one mile per kw.

#174385 Reply
    Rhodgie
    Participant

I believe some are 69p per kW like ionity EV’s aren’t great in the winter when you’ve got to heat the battery and for those who are only doing short journeys could see less than one mile per kw.

Ionity are 69p for anyone not driving an affiliated vehicle or paying a monthly membership,  then it drops to around 30 or 35p if I remember correctly, I don’t use them so not sure on their pricing.

Your last paragraph about EVs in winter is just wrong 🤦‍♂️ complete made up nonsense…. 🤫  I’ve had an EV since 2014 so so that’s 8 winters worth of driving and we’d use my car before taking the wife’s ICE.

#174386 Reply
    James

@Rhodgie this is what I love about this forum, your saying complete nonsense and I’m guessing your the only guy who owns an ev…

I’ve got an ev and have access to several at work and this is just an example last week I drove 42 miles using 42% of the battery which was 32 kw, these was all short journeys less than five miles and early on a morning or later on so colder temperatures.

#174392 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

@Rhodgie this is what I love about this forum, your saying complete nonsense and I’m guessing your the only guy who owns an ev… I’ve got an ev and have access to several at work and this is just an example last week I drove 42 miles using 42% of the battery which was 32 kw, these was all short journeys less than five miles and early on a morning or later on so colder temperatures.

My battery is approximately 25% less efficient this time of year

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV

#174399 Reply
    James

Ours is typically about 30-35% worse in the winter over the month but this is because of the short journeys, on long runs it’s good and will achieve over 200 miles between charges

#174410 Reply
    Rhodgie

James as an EV driver I’m disappointed you want to engage in scaremongering about extremely reduced range 😢 while less than 1 mile per kWh may be possible it isn’t the norm and I doubt anyone driving legally could achieve that even if they tried… less than 3 m/kWh is considered as high consumption.

Here’s one to balance your argument… I recently seen fuel priced at £1.66 a litre (£7.55 a galon) and some drivers could see their mpg figures drop into single figures if only doing short journeys.

#174414 Reply
    James

For starters I don’t brake any laws or speed and it disappoints me when I come across people like you.

This is real life driving and I’ve said it’s based on 42 miles and also said that I can achieve 200 miles plus on a long run.

People need to hear both sides, I love my ev and the several others at work and anyone who knows me would say that.

If you can’t handle that then that’s your problem but to come out and say it’s rubbish or accuse me of breaking the law then I think you need to grow up and stop being an idiot!

#174432 Reply
    Rhodgie

Calm down and try reading things slower… 🤫

Where did I accuse you of breaking the law 🤔 I said you were scaremongering.

And it’s break not brake… 👍

#174436 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

https://www.driveelectricvt.com/blog/winter

https://www.treehugger.com/electric-cars-in-cold-weather-5197506

https://insights.leaseplan.co.uk/electric-vehicles/ev-driving-in-winter/

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#174438 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

30 minute winter pre-heating requires 2.8 kWh

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: GRIDSERVE hikes EV charging prices due to ‘spiraling costs’
Your information: