Green number-plate scheme to start on 8 December

• Creator
    Topic
  • #130521 Reply
    Brydo

New and used zero-emissions vehicles will be able to display a green number-plate as part of the government’s Road to Zero plan

From 8 December 2020, all newly registered and existing electric cars in the UK will be eligible to wear a green flash on their number-plate to help distinguish them from internal-combustion-engined vehicles.

Of the three possible designs discussed last year, the final version is a plate with a simple green flash down the left-hand side – similar to those used for country flags and EU badges. UK transport secretary Grant Shapps announced the idea earlier in the year as part of wider plans to drive a “green economic recovery” in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

The new number-plates are intended to make it easier to identify zero-emission vehicles, “helping local authorities design and put in place new policies to incentivise people to own and drive them”. Shapps said: “A green recovery is key to helping us achieve our net-zero carbon commitments while also promoting economic growth. Green number plates could unlock a number of incentives for drivers and increase awareness of cleaner vehicles on our roads, showing people that a greener transport future is within our grasp.”

The Department for Transport (DfT) believes the measure will allow local authorities to quickly identify ‘clean’ cars, making exclusion areas like London’s Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) easier to police. Drivers could also benefit from reduced parking rates in some areas, as well as the ability to drive in bus lanes without risking a fine.

Green number-plates and ‘The Road to Zero’
    The idea of green number plates is part of the DfT’s ‘Road to Zero’ strategy, which set out the Government’s ambition to see ultra-low-emissions vehicles form at least half of all car sales by 2030. Currently, on average, around 1% of newly registered vehicles are fully electric.

The Road to Zero plan is inspired by a similar scheme in Ontario, Canada, where drivers of clean vehicles have free access to toll lanes, among other perks. This has led to an increase in electric-vehicle registrations, raising hopes that similar results can be achieved in the UK.

However, not all parties are convinced green plates are a good idea. When the consultation period was first announced, Nicholas Lyes, head of roads policy at the RAC, said: “While the sentiment seems right, there are question marks as to whether drivers would see this as a badge of honour or alternatively it could foster resentment among existing drivers of petrol and diesel vehicles.”

The president of the AA, Edmund King, also cast doubt on green number plates, saying: “While some will see it as a ‘plate of honour’, drivers should be given the option of adding them to their vehicle. Other incentives, such as cheaper parking, will help, but reinstating the grant for hybrids would also encourage those not ready to go for the full EV.”

In addition, the Government has pledged £12m through the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) for research into zero-emission vehicles and vehicle charging technology. A total of £10m will be put aside for a Zero-Emission Vehicle Innovation Competition, with the remaining £2m provided for small and medium-sized businesses to “support their research into zero-emission vehicles in areas such as battery technology, which could be used by major vehicle manufacturers in future electric vehicle production.”

Presently, the government’s plug-in car grant takes up to £3,000 off the price of a vehicle costing less than £50,000, which also emits less than 50g/km of CO2 and can travel at least 70 miles in pure-electric mode. Another grant contributes up to £350 towards the cost of installing a wallbox charging unit at home.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #130533 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

This could be something that is very useful when I drive into London, in that it may stop the extinction rebellion lot diving in front of my car between being hugged by the Met police.

As for driving out here in the countryside, I’m worried about a cow trying to chew off the green bit, 1st World problems, meh!

When I got the car, back in the summer, I had people at the chargers thinking it was a hybrid & asking about why I’d plug it into a 350kW CCS, so I can see there’s a use for the green flash.. I’m just not that convinced it’ll make much of a difference until a couple of years down the line when councils wake up to EVs.

#130538 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

It’s very very virtuous though. Oh my, I can’t wait to paint my number plates…

#130540 Reply
    Brydo

Wigwam the point of any forum, any thread or any post must be to entertain or inform.

We have had lots of banter and have shared the opposite sides of most topics but recently I have found almost all of your posts to be extremely negative and a bit depressing.

Let’s get back to discussing topics, seriously, but with a bit of give and take with a spoonful of lightheartedness again my friend it makes reading your posts and the replies much more enjoyable.

#130541 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I’m sorry you feel that way Brydo. I really am.

#130542 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

No, that only makes sense to those who virtue signal.

I’m more of the type who would ride around with the green flash, signalling to fossils that I’m paying next to nothing for fuel whilst they are being crippled by fuel taxes…. mwahahaha! Just think of all that money I’d be saving being spent on having to stay in a hotel overnight because the damn rapid charger is only going at 7kW instead of 100kW…. hmmm!

#130543 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

And all the stress of wondering if you’ll make it home on a dark wet winter night when your battery discharge rate is double what the manufacturer led you to believe…

That’s not ment to be negative Brydo, just realistic.

#130544 Reply
    Brydo

Ah well I did try.

#130547 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Be better if all the plate was green instead of just a blob at one side.

----------------------------
    Tiguan SEL Auto in Tungsten Silver
    Metal Detectorist & scale modeller
    in my spare time

#130551 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

Be better if all the plate was green instead of just a blob at one side.

Would you want a big green rectangle attached to your car?  Not sure I would!

Assuming the green bit replaces the old EU flags and country initials

#130552 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Why not, you have a big yellow one at the moment. Nobody is saying it has to be fluorescing green.

in my spare time

#130553 Reply
    alan1302
    Participant

I’m not keen on the yellow one either!

#130560 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

pathetic reply…

#130561 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

I don`t know whats wrong with everyone lately. Must be that time of year or the aftermath of 2020

in my spare time

#130563 Reply
    ajn
    Participant

I don`t know whats wrong with everyone lately. Must be that time of year or the aftermath of 2020

🤣😂

#130611 Reply
    Ellie

Thanks for the update Brydo.

I expected the whole background of the plate to be green. The green flash down the side is rather restrained. 😊

We still haven’t got our charge point installed but have been doing fine just plugging into the 3-pin plug in the garage.  Getting a smart meter installed next month so we will be able to go over to a time of day tariff if we want to.

Been very happy with our Soul so far. A couple of people have stopped my husband to ask him about it when he has been out and about.

#130613 Reply
    Brydo

I agree Ellie a bit restrained, the plate entirely green would have been good, “go big or go home”.

Maybe some veg in the top left corner and ” I am vegan” along the bottom.

What about a coal fired power plant with a red cross through it, bottom right lol.

All ideas welcome.

#130614 Reply
    Brydo

Glad to hear your enjoying your soul and it goes to show not everyone needs a rapid charger to run an EV.

#130623 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

Glad to hear your enjoying the car Ellie cant wait for mine but im hoping to get the charger in before i collect in Feb but its good to hear you can still manage with the old 3 pin plug should it not happen.

in my spare time

#130640 Reply
    Landyman

Do you think I could have one on my green 1963 Landrover?

#130652 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Do you think I could have one on my green 1963 Landrover?

Yes, I think that’s quite possible, you’ll need one of these to increase the power to 450HP though…

https://zero-ev.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Tesla-Large-Drive-Unit-Kit.pdf

And perhaps some batteries….

Oh, & some brake & suspension upgrades.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by gothitjulie.
Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Green number-plate scheme to start on 8 December
Your information: