Green Homes Grant

• This topic has 47 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by joss.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #125290 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I see the new government scheme has started. PIP and DWA are qualifying benefits for grants of £10000 for qualifying work.  Has anyone looked into this yet?  I’ve looked at the govt website and elsewhere and it’s unclear if it is means tested or income related in any way.

Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140066 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

I don’t know if the nationality of the company is relevent, Joss. The problem is Government comes up with a scheme, hands the problem of delivering it to civil servants to implement. They have no technical knowledge or ability, only a history of similar schemes in the past being abused by cowboy installers.  They come up with a complex and impractical brief and  pass it on to a private contractor who impressed them in a boardroom presentation.  Problem solved.

#140239 Reply
    joss

Green Homes Grant funding to be cut by £1.5 billion

Funding for the Green Homes Grant voucher scheme is set to be slashed by around £1.5 billion from April, it’s been revealed.
    The Government had set aside a total of £2 billion for the initiative, under which homeowners in England can get up to £5,000 in vouchers to make their homes more energy efficient. £1.5 billion of this was earmarked for households, with the other £500 million going to local authority-led schemes.

read more here 

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#140250 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

For the BEIS to blame Covid for the failure of the scheme is despicable.

#140255 Reply
    joss

Totally agree with you Wigwam. I have just come off a phone call to GHG, Who again confirmed that they have everything that they need on my application. It is just a matter of waiting for their audit team now.

I asked in light of the news that the grant scheme funding is to be cut by 1.5 Billion, where does that leave use? She replied saying “we are carrying on as normal, until notified other wise”

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142045 Reply
    Sam

Thanks for the information Joss. Yes it is a waiting game. I haven’t heard anything either. I have tried contacting them via phone and webchat, but it’s the same response stating the application is being processed. They previously told us that our first qoute for the secondary measure was too high, so we got a new qoute from another provider, but this turned out to be even higher than the first one. All prices have risen, so this can’t really be helped. Hopefully, we should get a response soon and they don’t delay it any further. I’m getting worried due to reports that the scheme is going to be scrapped.

#142133 Reply
    joss

I rang GHG today Sam for a progress report. Sam old response, but see did say that once your claim has been accepted and all criteria met, then you will get the grant. Just a waiting game really. Question is Do I trust what they say?

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#142187 Reply
    Sam

Hi Joss,

They have asked me to change my qoutes again asking for a more detailed breakdown and seperate qoutes for each secondary measure. They didnt even bother emailing me this request, but i had to call and ask for an update. This is going to delay the application even more as the installers are really busy, and dont really have time to be changing qoutes and adding additional details which are already clear in the first qoute. I suggest you regularly call for updates as they take a while to update applicants through email, apparently its a queue system.

#142196 Reply
    joss

@Sam

Yes had the same thing re quotes Sam. Asking for the same thing over and over despite explaining how they have already accepted the quotes!.

I ring them every fortnight for updates.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143700 Reply
    joss

Green Homes Grant scheme to insulate houses axed

I knew it. After months of being fobbed off by the GHG team. Yet again this government has botched another home insulation scheme.

A much-promoted grants programme to help UK householders insulate their homes is to be scrapped within days. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-56552484 From the BBC Roger Harrabin.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143709 Reply
    Sam

I know Joss, i knew they would do this. I called them today, and they said they are honouring the applications which have already been submitted, so that’s something atleast, but knowing them they can change their minds anytime

#143717 Reply
    joss

Yes Sam, they said the same thing to me. However. forgive me if I do not trust them to honour this. Until I have it in writing.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143791 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Received this today from the glazing company we were going to use:

Dear Customer,

Over the weekend we received terrible news that The Government has scrapped the Green Homes Grant with almost immediate effect.

Since the launch of the scheme we have been trying to get over all the administration and qualification hurdles the scheme rules put in place. By November it was clear that we had to partner with ***** to push through the requirements together. However the governing bodies we have had to deal with have been extremely slow and incompetent causing major frustration and delay to our customers.

We have had all our inspections and all paperwork submitted but still we have no official sign off.

We will be sending your quote for works to ***** to put on the voucher system on your behalf to try and beat the deadline of Wednesday this week, but we cannot guarantee it will be accepted or honoured.

It has been a costly and frustrating exercise to help the Government deliver this grant and to have it snatched away at such short notice after we have invested so much money and time has left us speechless.

We can only apologise that you have been effected by this governmental debacle.

There are talks of other Grants taking this place and we will keep you informed, but for now will do our utmost to get you registered for these vouchers.

Regards,

#143824 Reply
    Sam

I was contacted today by GHG again stating my quote for solid wall was too high even after a reduction, breakdown of costs and a justification letter. This has been happening for six months. They don’t seem to consider justification from installers and only care about the figure on the quote. I have had to instruct new installers as my current ones are refusing to reduce the price anymore. It looks like an even further delay now. I think this will be my last attempt if they don’t accept this quote.

#143873 Reply
    joss

Out of interest Sam how much did they quote for for solid wall insulation? Also what type of house?

My home is a mid terrace in a block of 3. Quote was £8.700.00 for my preferred company. The other company quoted £10.000

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143889 Reply
    Sam

Hi joss, i live in a mid terraced house, and for the front of house for 1 wall 32sqm they have quoted £4500. Ghg have said this is higher than average for the houses in my area, more than 25%. The installer isnt willing to go any lower.

#143921 Reply
    joss

Thanks Sam. Why only One wall?

I had the same from GHG say it’s too costly! The company is a large national and multi award winning external wall insulation company. Many of the EWI used today where developed by Westdale ltd.

So some one behind a desk who knows FA about EWI says it’s to dear. I argued the toss with them and won.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143940 Reply
    Sam

Did they accept your quote then, and have you been issued your voucher? My application is just going round in circles to be honest.

#143974 Reply
    joss

Yes they accepted the quote with the help of my installer of choice Sam. Why I have not been issued with a voucher is beyond me. It has met all the conditions a long time ago. When I ring them, I am told that they will honour my claim. So why not just issue a voucher?

I shall ring them later

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#143981 Reply
    joss

Just found this on Money saving expert (Martin Lewis)

Scheme to close to new applications on Wednesday 31 March at 5pm
    Update Tue 30 Mar: In a shock statement on Saturday evening, the Government announced the Green Homes Grant scheme will close to new applications at 5pm on Wednesday 31 March. The Government said applications made before this deadline will be honoured and any vouchers already issued can still be used, or extended upon request.

This follows months of speculation about the future of the scheme – which has largely been a flop due to its complexity and a shortage of installers. Many thought it could be scrapped in March’s Budget, but it was given a stay of execution at the time… until now.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#144780 Reply
    Sam

Hi Joss,

I wanted to let you know that we finally got our vouchers through for our solid wall and windows. It’s been a massive struggle, but i’m glad i got these out of them. Good luck with yours

#144809 Reply
    joss

Excellent news Sam. I really am so pleased for you. I rang GHG and was not happy with what they said about my vouchers. I rang them last Wednesday and was told my application was on hold because they needed more info. I firmly asked that I speak with a manager. The line suddenly went dead!.

Rang up Friday and I was told” No everything is fine. We don’t need anything else” I ask for this in writing but was told I had to email them stating my chosen contractor and they would reply with in 48 hours.

Mean while….I am still waiting. If don’t hear anything Thursday morning, It’s blast off time.

Sneaky me has been recording the calls. I have transcribed them. Also all emails back and forth in chronological order. All ready to send.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#144933 Reply
    joss

Well just landed in my inbox from GHG Team.

Thank you for your email.

I can certainly assist you with this today.

I can see that you called into us to advise that you wished to go with the Westdale quote and you were advised to put that in writing to us.

I can confirm that we have received your request and that has been noted.

Your application is now with our dedicated admin team for final review and they will be in contact with you should they require any further information. Otherwise, they will issue your voucher in due course.

I trust that this information has answered your queries today.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 22 replies - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
Reply To: Reply #140255 in Green Homes Grant
Your information: