Granny chargers

• Creator
    Topic
    Kjid5
    Participant

I pick my Volkswagen ID5 up a week on Saturday and although I have a home charger fitted and it comes with a fast charger cable for when I’m out and about I’d like to buy a three pin plug charger for emergencies. Volkswagen have quoted £240 for theirs am I right in thinking I can just buy one from somewhere else they seem much cheaper online

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

I’d look on ebay for a new other or used one.

Kjid5
        Participant

Does it have to be VW branded do you know @kezo ? Or just any type 2 granny charger?

ChrisK
          Participant

Don’t know if this is any good for VW’s but Screwfix do this one and also another that’s £20 dearer.

https://tinyurl.com/ywtcdpwe

Just notice a lot of bad reviews for this about rain water getting into the unit.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by ChrisK. Reason: just to add
            kezo
            Participant

They are all the same.

Jojoe
              Participant

Would you use it enough to save the £140 you’re going to spend in one? We thought about it but realised we’d barely use it.

Kjid5
                Participant

Good question. I visit a friend frequently who lives very rurally. I’m picturing being able to plug in overnight to at least buy me a few miles to get to a fast charger . Alternatively I am also considering what would happen if something goes wrong with my fitted charger. But you’re right both those scenarios are probably unnecessary ( ie I can charge at the motorway services 30 miles before her house or here if my charger fails I’d be able to use a neighbour’s)

Jojoe
                  Participant

Also, a few folk say they can be dangerous, people talk of blackened plug sockets. I’m sure Kezo can advise more on the safety of them.

kezo
                    Participant
                      Oscarmax
                      Participant

My granny charger is still in the manufactures supplied packaging, as Kezo suggest might be worth a punt.

Participant

I have a genuine KIA granny charger i no longer need, feel free to PM me if your interested, thats if it`s allowed of course.

----------------------------
                          Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate
                          Scale modeller in my spare time

Participant

I believe the blackened sockets issue is pretty much resolved now as most granny chargers are limited well below the 13A the socket should be able to handle. Not 100% sure but I think they’re limited to 10 or 11 amps. It does reduce charge speed as a result however

"Man is born in freedom, but he soon becomes a slave, in cages of convention, from the cradle, to the grave."

Kjid5
                            Participant

🙂 I bought the charger off eBay @kezo recommended

MFillingham
                              Participant

I used on for years.  The car I used it with had a smaller battery but it was still the only home charging solution I had.

Running off a high power rated extension lead, without coils the constant draw of high current generates heat.  I had a new plug socket fitted for it and a replacement one after just over 2 years as the connections were getting just a little loose.

In that time I had one extension lead melt (hence the last one was rated much higher than the car would ever draw), one plug melt thanks to heat generated over 14 hours as some idiot hung a flower basket on it (I still remind the wife about that).  However, keep it off the floor, be sensible and you should be good.  Just remember your emergency back up could take well over a day to charge your car.

If it was me, I’d only use it to ensure I could get somewhere to charge at a better speed.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                                I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

kezo
                                Participant

Also, a few folk say they can be dangerous, people talk of blackened plug sockets. I’m sure Kezo can advise more on the safety of them.

I think many of problems were related to the ones you can/could adjust from 6A – 8A – 10A – 12A – 14A – 16A. Many of this type are programable for time of use.

The design characteristics of bs1362 fuse’s found in plug tops are designed with a “non fusing current” and “fusing current”. This means a 13A fuse is technically capable of carrying a current 20A without blowing. Of course if there is a fault current it will blow near instananeously.

The “non fusing current”, is the current the fuse is capable of carrying is 1.6 times the rated Amps (13 x 1.6 = 20.8A) for a minimum of 30 minutes.

The “fusing current”, is rated at 1.9 times the rated Amps (13 x 1.9 = 24.7A), should the fusing current be exceeded, it must blow within 30 minutes of current exceeding 24.7A.

The rule of thumb can be given to any bs1362 fuse.

BS1363 is the standard for plug and socket outlets and have a continuous load rating. A temperature rise test is done for a minimum period of 4hrs and a maximum period of  8hrs. For example bs1363/2 1995 socket outlets were rated 14A and in 2016 somone tested it with 8A continuious, so it became 8A. In 2023 it changed again and the sockets were marked EV on the back (bs1363.2 2023) and they were rated at 13A.

A double socket outlet is not rated at double the above rather 14A/6A, 13A/7A. The quality of the wiring age of the sockets also plays a part.

Hopefully this highlights the problem with adustable Amps granny chargers and why people were reporting blackened plugs and/or sockets, if they had them set to high. Most avalable granny chargers available today are non adjustable and rated at 10A 2.3kW 🙂

🙂 I bought the charger off eBay @kezo recommended

How much did you get it for?

Rich44
                                  Participant

Ultimately the trouble with granny chargers aren’t the chargers themselves but like any prolonged high load they highlight any slight deficiencies in your wiring, like a broken leg on a ring main, loose wiring etc

I used a granny charger for a fair while with my ZS and never had a problem I even used it with a 10m extension lead too (fully unwound) and nothing ever even got warm.

However if you have a broken ring main say and other stuff on that circuit I could see you quite easily upsetting things.

If going to use a granny charger a lot or going to have a charger fitted might be worth considering an electrical safety test prior as that can identify any potential issues and give peace of mind

Participant

I’ve got myself one of these, it came recommended!

https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/products/type-2-to-uk-3-pin-plug-ev-portable-charger-6a-to-13a-variable-3kw-10-metre

Skoda Enyaq Coupe 85x Sportline Plus Adanced, Heat Pump & 21" Supernova Wheels In Moon White Metallic - Ordered 27th December 2023 - Confirmed 31st January 2024 - Build Week 16 (W/C April 15th) Estimated Delivery 26th May. Build Week moved back to week 23 W/C 3rd June) Build Week moved again to week 32 (W/C 5th August) Brought forward to week 27 (W/C 1st July 24)

Participant

Thankfully our Bz4x came with a granny charger as well, was useful till we got the charger fitted.

Bz4x fwd vision in silver

comfortablynumb2
                                        Participant

Bought this outdoor socket from Screwfix for my Phev. Electrician installing new dedicated circuit to CU. Was using another outside shared double socket (lawnmower/strimmer) but plug top on the charger lead got very hot after a few hours (wife had been using iron on same circuit inside at the same time, TV and Broadband router run off it also). This socket supposed to be more robust for longer charging.

Kjid5
                                          Participant

@kezo £51 including postage I used a mate’s  account as I don’t have one any longer. Possibly a bit over the odds but seller has good feedback and I’m happier with that than the £240 VW wanted.

@mfillingham
                                            it’s exactly why I wanted one, just to make sure I’ve got enough charge to get me to a fast charger. I fully intend to stay with electric cars if they keep selling them so I’m sure it’ll get some use over the years.

kezo
                                            Participant

@kezo £51 including postage I used a mate’s account as I don’t have one any longer. Possibly a bit over the odds but seller has good feedback and I’m happier with that than the £240 VW wanted. @mfillingham it’s exactly why I wanted one, just to make sure I’ve got enough charge to get me to a fast charger. I fully intend to stay with electric cars if they keep selling them so I’m sure it’ll get some use over the years.

For a new one, I wouldn’t grumble 🙂

Ele
                                              Participant

Hi Kezo whilst on the subject do you know if one of these can be used on my Etec for instance   thanks in advance https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404954416951

kezo
                                                Participant

Hi Kezo whilst on the subject do you know if one of these can be used on my Etec for instance thanks in advance https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404954416951

Yes it will be suitable for your ETEC mate! Its rated at 10A ,so thats good and certainly worth a go, if you can get it at the right price 🙂

Ele
                                                  Participant

Many thanks your a star Kezo

Will
                                                    Participant

We purchased  “Masterplug Mode 2 EV Charge Cable 10m UK” (a Granny charger) from Halfords for £174.99. We have a plug-in hybrid and use this cable for 99% of our charging. I have to say it is very well built and works very well. No issues over the 7 months we’ve been using it (1-2 times per week). I just checked and the price has risen to £179.99 now.

Will
                                                      Participant

P.S. I see the same Masterplug 10 m charger is currently £159.99 at Screwfix.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.