GPs warn over plans to share patient data with third parties in England

• Creator
    Topic
  • #154276 Reply
    joss

In an article published in the Guardian today. GPs warn over plans to share patient data with third parties in England.

Doctors have warned that plans to pool medical records on to a database and share them with third parties could erode the relationship between them and patients.

The warning came as the Royal College of GPs wrote to NHS Digital urging it to better communicate with the public about the plans and their options for opting out.

Critics have voiced concerns over the NHS Digital plans, which would put the medical histories of more than 55 million patients into a database available to academic and commercial third parties for research and planning purposes.

The health secretary, Matt Hancock, first announced the plan in April via blog posts on the NHS Digital website and flyers at GP surgeries.

Being as we, the general public, can not see these flyers at GP’s surgeries because of Covid restriction. Also how many of are even aware of NHS Digital and what it does?.

Keep an eye on this. As it is trying to be sneaked out with as little as a months notice to opt out.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #154296 Reply
    joss

How to opt out of your medical date being shared with third parties.

Just following up on the above post. Here is a link to to download the opt out form. Once completed, had to your GP.

How to opt out

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#154317 Reply
    Georgie

“which would put the medical histories of more than 55 million patients into a database available to academic and commercial third parties for research and planning purposes” Dig a little deeper and we find that many ‘research’ projects are funded by Health Insurance companies, so Good Luck to the next generation when they try to get Health Insurance and Life Insurance if breast cancer is prevalent in your family, or there’s a potentially inheritable gene like Huntingdon’s Disease out there!

#154330 Reply
    joss

Exactly, Georgie. This is why I have shared this information with forum, and provided the means to for readers to opt out of this wholesale selling of our data.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#154343 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Thanks for the reminder joss.  We have filled in the forms here and I will be dropping them off to our doctors surgery tomorrow.

#154349 Reply
    joss

@Wigwam

Your welcome

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#154406 Reply
    Peter

You can also opt out via the NHS App.  Saves ink, paper and a trip to the Doc’s. 🙂

#154410 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Agreed, Peter, if you already have a need to use the NHS App.  The app is run by NHS Digital (which is not the NHS) who are very keen to harvest personal mobile phone numbers and you can’t use the app without giving them your mobile number.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: GPs warn over plans to share patient data with third parties in England
Your information: