Government announces an extra 1,000 residential electric car charging points

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Brydo 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85149 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Funding for public electric car charging points in built up, residential areas is to double, Government claims
    The Government has announced an additional £2.5m in funding for the public on-street electric car charging infrastructure, claiming that the cash will see an extra 1,000 charging points installed in residential areas.

The money supports the Government’s on-street residential charging scheme, launched in 2017 and introduced to assist drivers of electric vehicles with no access to off-street parking for convenient charging.

The money is being handed over to local authorities, who will be responsible for the installation of the extra charge points. The scheme has already seen 16 local authorities prepare to install 1,200 new charge points in residential streets up and down the country, and it is hoped that these new points will be operational by the end of the year.

In total, the Government has announced up to £37 million in funding for the electric car charging infrastructure, the cash being spent on projects intended to overcome hurdles such as a lack of on-street charging for would-be electric car owners.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107626/government-announces-an-extra-1000-residential-electric-car-charging-points

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85169 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

A drop in the ocean, 100 000 would have been a good starting point.

#85177 Reply

Georgie

Vandal magnets.

#85178 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

With a bit of luck they’ll electrocute themselves in the process.

#85181 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

“With a bit of luck they’ll electrocute themselves in the process.” Wardy a bit extreme don’t you think?

I take it you would rather there were no chargers or maybe no EVs.

What is your problem.

#85268 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Maybe he meant the vandals? that’s how I read it anyway.

1,000 charge points eh, well at least a couple of areas around kensington and cheshire will be ok.

#85272 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

I did mean the vandals lol

#85295 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

A drop in the ocean, 100 000 would have been a good starting point.

Quote from BBC News, “there are 25 million homes in the UK and 7 out of 10 are owner occupiers”

Not many to go before we all got one then. ?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  ChrisK. Reason: correction
    #85298 Reply

Philjb

It’s a start and I would think it is linked to the number of EV’s on the road?

They will also need to add cctv to all the sites so they can keep them working. The few in Kingston were all vandalised one evening? Maybe by a Petrol head. ?

#85301 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Unfortunately it is a bit of them and us with regards to EVs. Those with off street parking and personnel wall chargers and the rest who will need to use fast chargers or street chargers.

Until such times that charging an ev takes as long as filling a petrol or diesel car people are not going to be happy.

#85304 Reply

Philjb

It will take a long time to convince everyone they are a good thing

Plus we don’t like having things forced  on us.

I’m off the mind set that as long as a vehicle can do the range I feel comfortable with why change? Yes I’ll save money but do I want to change my habits and charge up more often?

#85307 Reply

WardyGTC
    Participant

If I could charge overnight at home I’d have no issues with having an EV. We rarely do long journeys but we have on street parking and it’s about 100 yards from door to the road.

#85310 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

I like electric motor powered vehicles, instant power at any speed, what’s not to like, unfortunately I fall into all 3 minus brackets, no off street parking, not enough range and nothing remotely big enough.

Maybe when they can tick those boxes I’ll look at an EV but it will have to be private as I’ll be way too old to drive by the time anything like that is available on the scheme!

#85312 Reply

POPS

I’ll be honest and up front about my concerns over full going electric. I need to know when I leave my home that I will get back safely. I know that EV’s should provide that assurance, but if it doesn’t then I’m in full panic mode.

I fell over in the kitchen tonight trying to change the cat litter tray, which gives you an insight into my frailties. I wobble when I walk, and I worry enough about going out and getting back home.

I do not need the extra level of uncertainty that comes with overhyped ranges for EV’s.

I have more than enough space for home charging, but my present diesel engined car is bullet proof and that’s what I need for my peace of mind.

#85315 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

Wow, you’ve got a bullet proof car POPS, knew you were something special! ?

#85316 Reply

POPS

I am vinalspin lol.

Until a couple of years ago I was totally sure of myself in managing my disability, but the last two years have taught me humility.

#85324 Reply

mitch
    Participant

it would be far better if they made it compulsory for all  new builds to have a charging point and solar panels.

until that happens anything else is pointless unless they put them eveywhere.

that doesnt cost the government anything its built in to the cost of the home, although no doubt housebuilders will try to get some form of grant or subsidy.

#85325 Reply

solent60
    Participant

it would be far better if they made it compulsory for all new builds to have a charging point and solar panels. until that happens anything else is pointless unless they put them eveywhere. that doesnt cost the government anything its built in to the cost of the home, although no doubt housebuilders will try to get some form of grant or subsidy.

Hey mitch; a bit off topic I know – but I saw my first DS3 Crossback on the road today. What a stunning car it was too! I know it’s on your shortlist… mine too when the time comes. A beautiful machine if ever I saw one!

#85326 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Having solar on every new build is a great idea but unfortunately won’t work as only southish facing roofs are any use for solar. With regards to charging points I think this is mandatory in English new builds, just recently brought in.

#85327 Reply

Philjb

My sons new build house had a charging point on the specs.

That way it costs the council or central government nothing.

He was quite excited about it till they added the cost to the house price.

#85329 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

You don’t need south facing roofs for solar panels, east/west are just as good and actually give a more even spread of power generation rather than a lunchtime peak that you get with south facing.

#85330 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant
    #85331 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Vinalspin you can of course put your solar panels in any direction you want, but putting panels on a west facing roof will result in the panels producing very little electricity.

East facing panels will produce more than west but neither will give anywhere near what south facing panels will produce.

If you have spent £5000 on a 4Kwh system would you prefer to have repaid this outlay in ten years or twenty years.

If the government wants to face solar panels east or west to smooth out electricity supply then that’s up to them but for most people it makes little financial sense.

#85357 Reply

vinalspin
    Participant

The point is that you can still put the panels on new builds but to expect a lower gain.

#85369 Reply

Brydo
    Participant

Yes that is true but who will pay for these panels? The panels cost the same no matter where you put them, so if you are paying £5,000 but only generating 1000/1500 kWh a year with an east or west array as to 4000 kWh with a south facing array who would choose to do this?

It is not financially justifiable for Joe public to pay this, however, if the government, or the grid wanted this and were willing to subsidise the cost then that would be different.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Government announces an extra 1,000 residential electric car charging points

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: