Got a few bob? Tesla model Y on sale in the UK

• Creator
    Topic
  • #166730 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I’m not a fan off the minimalistic look of Tesla interiors. What do you guys think?

Almost three years after its debut, the Tesla Model 3’s sister car capable of seating up to seven people is coming to the UK, with prices starting from £54,990 and first deliveries to begin in early 2022

The Tesla Model Y is now on sale in the UK, close to three years after it was unveiled back in March 2019. Two versions of the electric SUV are available, with the first deliveries of the Model Y Long Range beginning in early 2022; Performance models will follow slightly later in the year.

Both versions of the Model Y sold in the UK feature dual-motor setups with one electric motor on each axle for all-wheel-drive. Power figures have yet to be formally announced for either model, but the entry-level Model Y Long Range will sprint from 0-62mph in 4.8 seconds according to Tesla, with prices starting from £54,990 for this version.

Meanwhile, the top-of-the-range Model Y Performance gets a £64,990 price tag, offering drivers an increase in performance, with 0-62mph taking just 3.5 seconds. Top speed jumps from 135mph on the Long Range car to 150mph for the Performance variant. Tesla says the Model Y Performance can cover up to 298 miles on a charge, while the Long Range version gets a 315-mile range.

However, though the new Audi Q4 e-tron, Ford Mustang Mach-E and BMW iX3 rival is based on the same platform as the Model 3, it isn’t expected to be offered with that model’s Standard Range, single-motor configuration.

The Model Y also isn’t currently available in the UK with the optional seven-seat layout you get in North America, with European Model Ys all featuring five seats. Tesla’s mid-size SUV is capable of towing up to 1,600kg, with a tow hitch available to buy after delivery, however.

Inside, you get a 15-inch central infotainment touchscreen that also acts as your instrument display – just like in the Model 3. All Model Ys feature a panoramic glass roof and slightly raised seating compared to its sister car. Tesla’s mid-size electric SUV also boasts 854 litres of boot space when filled from the laden to the roof and in five-seat form, as well as a 117-litre ‘frunk’ under the bonnet.

In terms of charging, the Model Y is compatible with the latest V3 Tesla Superchargers, which means it can recharge at speeds of up to 250kW. A top up from flat to 80% capacity will take close to 40 minutes at that rate. It’ll take roughly 12 hours to recharge the Model Y’s from 0-100% using a 7.4kW home wallbox.

Unlike most of its rivals though, there is a fairly limited options list with the Model Y: customers get a choice of five paint colours, black or white upholstery, and the option to add ‘enhanced autopilot’ for £3,400 or full self-driving capabilities for an extra £6,800.

The Model Y marks the completion of the ‘SEXY’ line-up of cars Tesla CEO Elon Musk laid the groundwork for over a decade ago when he unveiled the Model S back in 2009. The premium zero-emissions saloon went on sale in the UK in 2014 and was followed by the larger Model X SUV, and the highly popular Model 3.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #166739 Reply
    Fastbike1000
    Participant

Definitely not a fan of minimalist interiors. I’m a bit of a sucker for interiors that seem to wrap around the driver. Im also not a fan of tesla cars but saying that I wouldn’t say no to one.

#166742 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I couldn’t see myself spending that sort of money on one of those. I don’t think any Tesla’s look nice at all. I’m not a fan of the interior either

#166744 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

Definitely not a fan of minimalist interiors. I’m a bit of a sucker for interiors that seem to wrap around the driver. Im also not a fan of tesla cars but saying that I wouldn’t say no to one.

Have to agree, that´s what put me off the ID.3

#166762 Reply
    Tharg
    Participant

Nothing against minimalist design. Quite like a bit of art deco with some Bauhaus stirred it. But for that price? Nah! For nearly £70 I would get a top-of-the-range Superb and have enough left over for an MX5 to whizz around in at the weekend.

#166779 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

For that sort of money i would have an Audi in my driveway all day long.

----------------------------
    KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#166780 Reply
    Georgie

“For that sort of money i would have an Audi in my driveway all day long.”

Because you couldn’t afford to put fuel in it and drive anywhere?

#166784 Reply
    Stuart
    Participant

“For that sort of money i would have an Audi in my driveway all day long.” Because you couldn’t afford to put fuel in it and drive anywhere?

How do you know what i can or cannot afford ?

KIA Soul EV First Edition
    Scale modeller in my spare time

#166793 Reply
    Georgie

Oh, never mind . . .

#166795 Reply
    struth
    Participant

think it was a joke, not aimed at your finances..

#166796 Reply
    Warkman

I would never buy a Tesla.

the fit panel quality is that of a skip and the overall quality is of a 90’s lada.

there are so many YouTube videos of issues, one being the rear door lock stops working and if you need to get out in an emergency you are stuffed.

second hand, if the battery fails, the cost to replace it in £10,000 plus.

emperors new clothes, all style and awful substance.

#166801 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Warkman a Tesla car can be a bit “jekyll and hyde” on one hand you get the best battery and tech on the market but, as you say, the worst build quality.

I am also underwhelmed with the car design, inside and out, but would I have one ,absolutely.

#166803 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i doubt i’d get in one so i’d sell it and buy summat cheaper and pocket the change. many may say im being a typical Scot lol, but i dont think the old stereotype is valid now.(not sure it ever was tbh)

#166805 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Don’t know about that Struth I’m a Scot and I’m as tight as a drum, well so the wife says, but she’s a big spender so maybe not the best judge.

#166807 Reply
    struth
    Participant

most wives like to spend.. mine did lol

#166812 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Don’t know about that Struth I’m a Scot and I’m as tight as a drum, well so the wife says, but she’s a big spender so maybe not the best judge.

I’m very tight fisted Brydo

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#166813 Reply
    Brydo

We’ve so much in common Mike 👍

#166819 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

“For that sort of money i would have an Audi in my driveway all day long.” Because you couldn’t afford to put fuel in it and drive anywhere?

You do realise that they make quite a few electric cars, no? Any which one of them i find more desirable than the Tesla.

In regards to the car itself, i mean.. My wife called the ID3 interior “dentists waiting room”, the Tesla is just void of anything interesting. Yeah, tech is good, but any other “rival” car is put together considerably better, even the ID3 (which is subpar/cheaper compared to other VWs). If i put £60k on the table, i expect considerably more than a car that looks as generic as this, while basically having no interior design at all. It looks slightly more acceptable in black (the interior pictured is £1100 extra), still not great.

I’d take an Ionic 5 over this any day of the week. It’s better equipped (can’t get ventilated seats in the Tesla, nor matrix LEDs, nor blind view cameras etc), it’s better put together, and is actually the better looking car (albeit subjectively). In terms of range, it has 17 miles less range than the long range model and is marginally slower to 60 (4.8 to 5.2 seconds). 17 miles, less equipment and 0.4 secs quicker to 60, if that’s worth more than £5000 to you while knowing that you can stick your finger in the panel gaps, absolutely you do you.

I’ll take the Ionic 5.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#166836 Reply
    Michael

Thanks for posting Brydo, hopefully one day I will be able to afford a Tesla. My dream car.

#166837 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

You do realise that they make quite a few electric cars, no? Any which one of them i find more desirable than the Tesla. In regards to the car itself, i mean.. My wife called the ID3 interior “dentists waiting room”, the Tesla is just void of anything interesting. Yeah, tech is good, but any other “rival” car is put together considerably better, even the ID3 (which is subpar/cheaper compared to other VWs). If i put £60k on the table, i expect considerably more than a car that looks as generic as this, while basically having no interior design at all. It looks slightly more acceptable in black (the interior pictured is £1100 extra), still not great. I’d take an Ionic 5 over this any day of the week. It’s better equipped (can’t get ventilated seats in the Tesla, nor matrix LEDs, nor blind view cameras etc), it’s better put together, and is actually the better looking car (albeit subjectively). In terms of range, it has 17 miles less range than the long range model and is marginally slower to 60 (4.8 to 5.2 seconds). 17 miles, less equipment and 0.4 secs quicker to 60, if that’s worth more than £5000 to you while knowing that you can stick your finger in the panel gaps, absolutely you do you. I’ll take the Ionic 5.

There was a Tesla 3 parked up a couple of weeks back, the interior is like marmite. Not to my taste at all. In reality we spend virtually all our time inside the car so it is a space which should be desirable.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Got a few bob? Tesla model Y on sale in the UK
Your information: