Good condition bonus ( in uncertain times)

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 days, 3 hours ago by Thomas H Carson.
  • Creator
    Topic
  • #174530 Reply
    Harrysback
    Participant

Good morning all.

As per Title, and having read about the potential consequences of cancellation of lease, it was mooted that the Good Condition Bonus ( GCB) would be affected.

It seems the GCB is directly linked to the three-year contract. My concern is…. with the widespread and lengthy delays currently the norm, thousands of drivers are using ( legally) vehicles beyond the three years.

If Person A has damage caused which, normally, would disqualify them from the GCB, and the damage happens after the three years …. what then?

They will have satisfied the normal requirements but the rules will have changed. If they had been in the new vehicle, tha specific damage would not have happened ( other damages might, but it’s impossible for it to be the same). So should the GCB be assessed at the end of the third year?

Sorry about the rambling. It’s simple in my head. But…

Take care out there 😊

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #174531 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I don’t really understand the question, but I’ll give it a go! Whether or not you get GCB is dependent upon the condition of the vehicle upon return not the length of lease, which is irrelevant, other than you get more GCB after 4/5 years.

Motability allow ‘fair wear and tear’, so a car that has been on lease for 4 or 5 years will understandably show more signs of wear than one that is returned after 3 years and that would be acceptable.

The threshold for ‘fair wear and tear’ is very high and seems to include things that I would personally consider to be minor accident damage rather than wear and tear, so I really wouldn’t worry.

#174563 Reply
    Robert

my lease was extended because of wait for new vehicle they still paid GCB when original lease was up 6 months before I handed vehicle back.

#174564 Reply
    Thomas

Good Guy.

Thanks for responding.

I fully accept the point you make in paragraph one….. until I read Robert’s post, which chimes rather well with my original, and possibly confusing, query.

The GCB if warranted is either at end of term OR return of vehicle.

Currently these are unlikely to be the same.

Perhaps I should plan to treat myself.

Kindest regards

Thomas Henry Carson

#174565 Reply
    Thomas

But without an engineer’s report I suspect I shan’t see any reward for my care for a while yet.

#174591 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Good Guy. Thanks for responding. I fully accept the point you make in paragraph one….. until I read Robert’s post, which chimes rather well with my original, and possibly confusing, query. The GCB if warranted is either at end of term OR return of vehicle. Currently these are unlikely to be the same. Perhaps I should plan to treat myself. Kindest regards Thomas Henry Carson

Harrysback,

At the ‘height’ of the pandemic (during 2020) Motability decided to help customers in financial need by permitting them to claim the GCB ‘in advance’ at any point during the lease period. This was done purely to help those in financial need and had to be applied for (this ended in July 2021).

Later and partially concurrent with the above, Motability temporarily decided to automatically pay the GCB to customers at the natural end point of their lease (normally the 3-year point) regardless of the fact the customer may still have the vehicle while awaiting their new vehicle or extended the lease.

I believe it was in or around summer/autumn 2021 that Motability reverted to its pre-covid policy of only paying the GCB upon actual return of the vehicle.

If you search the forum using the search term ‘Good Condition Bonus’ you can read how GCB’s evolved during the pandemic before reverting back to pre-covid practices.

#174601 Reply
    Thomas H Carson

Good morning Big Dave and apologies to Glos Guy for my error in writing his name.

Thank you Dave for finding and posting the recent history of GCB vis a vis lease agreement etc.

At least they were aware of this potential point of contention. Anticipating problems is key…. there’s always someone like me prodding around in search of a loophole.

Regardless, while I would like to enjoy good health and mobility I feel fortunate to have a car offered every three years. My daily routine would be quite grim without it.

So, no moaning from me and if I have to wait a further three months, no matter.

Chin up

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Good condition bonus ( in uncertain times)
Your information: