Good Car for towing a caravan

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145598 Reply
    darren drabwell

Hi can anyone recommend a large car for towing a caravan.

Thanks

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145618 Reply
    DaveW

The Kuga is good, especially the 2.0d AWD.

#145620 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

Darren, towing is mostly about weight, not just power, the heavier the better. So the vw shuttle will be a better tow vehicle than any other vehicle fitted with the same 148bhp diesel unit.

Diesel is the only realistic option and as big as possible. Ford Galaxy was a good tow vehicle for us, the vw Sharan was better (sadly deceased) I’m sure the extended family of the VW Tiguan would be where I would start my search and I would call in to look at the Ford kuga mentioned.

#145632 Reply
    Pswoff
    Participant

I hope this helps, it lets you match any car and caravan to see their suitability.

https://www.towsafe.co.uk/consumer/loginCsumer.asp

#145637 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

The large SUV types with 2.0 litre diesel’s in the 150hp range should be heavy and have lots of torque for towing.

I’d look into the insurance side of things as motability doesn’t cover towing and you need your own personal cover. I remember this been talked about quite a while ago.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#145646 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Motability all ready have an arrangement with RAC, as far as I can recall we paid £65 last year.

When you say large caravan (a) do you have the MIRO weight, were do intended to tow to the Scottish highlands, Europe, CL/CS etc ideally we could do with some back ground information, have you towed before do you have the necessary categories on your driving licence ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#145652 Reply
    PillBoy
    Participant

The Volvo XC40 B4 can tow up to 2100 kg.  It’s got 300 Nm of torque.

#145660 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

The Volvo XC40 B4 can tow up to 2100 kg. It’s got 300 Nm of torque.

WOW. That is a lot of ‘grunt’ for a petrol.

#145666 Reply
    darren drabwell

<p style=”text-align: center;”>I’m looking at the mazda cx5 2l auto it can pull 2000kg it is a petrol as the diesel isn’t on the scheme. I’m.old so have the license up to 7.5ton. I’m.looking at a van with a loaded wieght of about 1600kg.</p>

#145669 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

Not a great choice imo as its an old school naturally aspirated petrol so doesn’t have much torque (pulling power usually) and you have to use a lot of revs, which would make it bad for fuel economy. Modern turbocharged engines produce lots of torque st low rev due to there forced induction.

Current car
    Peugeot 5008 Allure Premium
    Previous Cars
    VW Touran SEL

#145692 Reply
    sif

a big heavy 4×4, safer and copes with the  pitch when you get there and want to leave, especially if its been a typical summers day…wet

#145806 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

Personally I’ve always towed with turbo diesels as I found their the best for the job , I towed with a st220 Mondeo before and it just wasn’t as smooth and easy going as my turbo diesel Mondeo ST was , of course I always preferred bigger cars for towing, I had a pajero 2.8 turbo diesel and honest I hardly noticed towing with that!

#145815 Reply
    sif

pajero 2.8 turbo diesel one of the greatest cars ever made.

#145825 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

@sif , I loved it , really wish I’d kept it now

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Good Car for towing a caravan
Your information: