Golf mk8 GTD Test Drive

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145609 Reply
    Vaun
    Participant

Hi, I enjoyed a thirty minutes test drive in a new golf mk8  gtd today. Immediately after my test drive in an ID.3.

The golf is a very strong contender for me now. The torque and power suits my driving style.  I found the layout quite intuitive, I’ve driven previous golfs extensively. I found the this version even more solid, planted and surefooted on the road.

Its acceleration was strong and quite addictive and the assistance systems worked very well.

I was surprised to some extent how it felt similar to the Id.3 solid, surefooted, steering direct. Although the golf felt more agile.

Driving a countryman, Peugeot 3008 tomorrow.

Cheers, all the very best

Vaun

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145624 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

What did you think of touchscreen for heater air con etc etc ?

BBC Breakfast expert, Toyota CHR driver.

#145627 Reply
    Vaun
    Participant

Hi Mike,

To he honest I see a lot of “band wagon” jumping in “professional” reviewers and if one popular reviewer says something is a problem it tends to become a trope for the rest.

I personally found no issues with it, you can tap the slider as well which makes temperature go up and down. And also how many times or how much do you tend to change the temperature anyway.

Other annoying tropes on “professional” reviews water bottle storage tests, complaining about the boot features like hooks and how you have to fold sears from inside the  car, fascination with the design of lights. Never actually saying  whether they work at night well or not.

I’m going to get off my hobby horse now. But in conclusion those slidy things although unnecessary aren’t a major problem.

Cheers, all the very best

Vaun

#145655 Reply
    Mike

Anyone tried out the VW Travel Assist?

Youtube reviews show it on motorways/dual carriageways & slow traffic.

I’m wondering if it’s works  in  general city driving (with a destination put into the sat nav) ?

Or am I asking too much

#145840 Reply
    James Pond

I returned the Golf 2.0TDI 150 Style . Faulty .. Mater tech said there was a known software bug and German HQ were working on a fix.

Parking sensors Touch screen wouldnt work..

I dont understand the whole touch screen fad.. its ilegal to touch your phone but not the big screen in your car??!! No abilty to control the lights which are perminant set to AUTO ,, caused battary drain..

Voice controls are hit and miss and the LKA is not mature enough.. pulling you towards parked cars or lorries on the motorway .. Last straw was not being able to unlock my car when i got out the supermarket.

Kia is was VW used to be

#145852 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

They should have kept the Golfs rotary controls like it was and just had screen for sat nav and camera I had three Golfs like this never had any trouble in 9 years

#145874 Reply
    Sif

Cars are full of stuff nobody wants, then they feature in ads as if it’s the sole determinant of choice. They have the tech so stuff it in. Touch screens are stupid for basic functions. You only have to read the car specific forums to find millions of unhappy owners and it nearly always the tech that has failed. I though windows updates were annoying, try a modern car…always in for software updates.

#145879 Reply
    Richy
    Participant

When I was going to get the MG HS the heater controls were on the infotainment system, it’s probably the only thing that would put me off a car a little bit. I like the old way of doing it or I’d be worried that each time I wanted to change the AC I’d end up staring at the infotainment system too long,

Maybe it’s an easy thing to get used to though, I know when my dad buys his Volvo XC90 he’s asked me to go round and sit with him to teach him the infotainment side of things, he said being 70 and not to techy minded it could be fun 🤣

I’d love the golf gtd but being a camper and not being able to afford the ap I’m having to stick with my practical family things, maybe when I’m older there’s still some fun cars on motability

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Richy.
    #145883 Reply
    Dante2
    Participant

I saw the gtd when I test drive the Tiguan – looks lovely & in moonstone colour moreso.
    if I didn’t need the easier access etc… of any suv – the good gtd would be calling me, even if I can’t afford an AP that much lol

#145899 Reply
    Vaun Earl Norman

Yes, the moonstone grey is lovely if I order a gtd it will definitely be that colour.

#145904 Reply
    matt

i orded mine in dolphin gray

#145906 Reply
    Vaun Earl Norman

Yes the test car was that colour really lovely too.

#145927 Reply
    Zak

Hi Matt,

I have also ordered mine in doplhin grey, do you know when your build/arrive date is scheduled for?

Zak

#145944 Reply
    matt

hi no in the tracker it just says  Processing your order stage 1

#145948 Reply
    matt

forgot to add the dealer did say about 17-18 weeks for it

#145949 Reply
    Kev

You will have to remove the car,and put in order again for updates,as the tracker does not update automatically

#145954 Reply
    matt

ok thanks for that

#146014 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Hi, still not sure if I’m going to continue with the order until I’ve had a drive (think its going to be a bit small tbh) but I have been given a build of week 29 for the GTD if that helps others who have ordered.

#146045 Reply
    ree94

we have driven the GTD today and the car is and has a lot more room/space then we was expecting the drive was nice gear box was smooth the car we test drove had the 19 inch wheels which was ok to be fair the only thing that takes some getting used to is the touch screen but im sure after a few days you can master it 🙂

#146065 Reply
    Zak

I received an email today from the dealer where I placed my GTD order. The link took me to a personalised video message from the sales guy providing me with an update of my build week and potential collection date. I thought it was a nice touch and something I wasn’t expecting.

#146082 Reply
    James Pond

“They should have kept the Golfs rotary controls like it was and just had screen for sat nav and camera I had three Golfs like this never had any trouble in 9 years”

I agree with Mike . Same here

#146090 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

Should never have changed them James rotary controls so easy quick and eyes not took of the road

#146113 Reply
    solent60
    Participant

Should never have changed them James rotary controls so easy quick and eyes not took of the road

You’re right Mike. Golf sales are suffering at the moment, both in the UK and especially Europe, because the Mark 8 is pretty dull design-wise when it could have been so much better. Add to that the cheap materials used/cost cutting in the new Golf and that touchscreen & it’s not hard to see why buyers are looking elsewhere. VW are crafty of course. If you want nice alloys, heated seats & a reversing camera – then sell one of your kidney’s first in order to pay for such items!

#146115 Reply
    matt

your right i noticed everything is an extra even car matts.

#146121 Reply
    Menorca Mike
    Participant

your right i noticed everything is an extra even car matts.

front and rear Toyota carpet matts were free on my CHR as was keyless sat nav 10 inch rear view camera 18 inch alloys park assist etc for £795 design 1.8 hybrid

#146124 Reply
    Matt

Already got the 7.5 gtd in white silver  going to put my order in this week for the 8 but not to sure on the upgrade for the 19s sounds good for £795 but then you have to pay another £800 for  the sport button thingy which is a rip of so you have to pay £1800 1st then another £1500 ish for the wheels n sport thingy then paint £595 then any other bits u want ouch but besides all that still a good car sporty and good looking nothing else on the scheme atm that can rival it made a Audi q3 black edition but only 150 bhp round the same price

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Golf mk8 GTD Test Drive
Your information: