Go Electric for under a Grand AP

• Creator
    Topic
  • #117287 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

We have four/five Electric options for under a £1000 Advance Payment (not including the Smart)

Renault Zoe (from £399)

MG ZS (From £499)

Vauxhall Corsa / Peugeot 208 (from £799)

Nissan Leaf (from £799)

Which one is the best choice? I know we have a lot of electric car knowledge here and with a lot of us considering the switch, I think my vote goes to the MG but the Leaf does catch my eye when one passes.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #117315 Reply
    martino

I was looking at the

MG AND LEAF its the replace volvo xc60  i like the idea of electric  but i live at the bottom of a steep hill and i couldnt get out in snowy weather with ford galaxy smax  then i got xc60 awd i can get in and out .one of my concerns is in the winter if i cant get out cause they’r not 4×4 im stuck also if i cant get into my cul de sac  i can not charge my car

is the worth the gamble

#117362 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

If anyone is going for a Renault Zoe then do the decent thing & choose the CCS charger optioned ones so you’ll be able to charge the thing when you’re going longer distances.

As companies roll out more & more rapid chargers they are dropping the AC option on the charger, so you could get stuck unless you go for the DC CCS option.

As for the MG ZS, well, it’s a decent size car, the range isn’t brilliant but probably OK for many, and it will charge upto 85kW on a decent Rapid charger (most are limited to 50kW in teh UK but there are faster ones appearing)

#117365 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car

@gothitjulie

I was hoping you would reply as you are so knowledgeable.

With regards to the Nissan Leaf, should one be concerned that the batteries are not liquid cooled?

#117428 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

My take on the 40kW/h Nissan Leaf is that I’d avoid it if you intend to do long journeys as it “Rapidgates”

Watch Bjorn Nyland’s video

And yes it’s the battery cooling issue.

It’s difficult to find the idea EV, especially on the Motability Scheme as we don’t get the Kia Niro/Soul or the Hyundai Kona in the EV versions. So that means that it’s a choice between the MG ZS EV that does “coldgate” but it’s not often cold enough in the UK to notice, the Pug e208/e2008/Corsa e/DS3 Etense which have great charging speed, or the Zoe 50kW/h which isn’t perfect either. Main problem is range is too low so you’re relying on being able to charge fast enough, hence I’ve gone for the e2008 as it can charge well enough. That leaves the other option on the scheme, Ioniq EV, it’s a very efficient car, but it’s messed up by the charging speed…. however, it has a very similar battery pack to the Kona 39kW/h and that is being fixed by a software update for the BMS so there’s hope.

#117450 Reply
    Georgie

Regarding electric vehicles I do think it might be helpful if, instead of leaving the mpg and annual fuel cost blank (“N/A”), the Motability website showed the Max and Average ‘Range’ instead.

Just a thought.

#117466 Reply
    Zero1
    Participant

At the current AP of £1499 the BMW i3s is the electric car bargain this quarter…. Especially if it’s available with a £500 dealer contribution….. By my rough calculations on a mileage 6000 per year it’s possible to save over £700 in fuel costs….. Recharging from 0-80% on a 50 kW CCS Rapid charger takes around 40 minutes! For regular long journeys it’s worth considering the optional “Auxiliary Cabin Heating System” (Heat Pump) for an extra £530

#117467 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Regarding electric vehicles I do think it might be helpful if, instead of leaving the mpg and annual fuel cost blank (“N/A”), the Motability website showed the Max and Average ‘Range’ instead. Just a thought.

This is so difficult. Currently the manufacturers will give you a WLTP range which is calculated at around 45mph constant along a flat road when it comes to an electric car.

Speed kills the range in EVs, and winter temperatures affect range too, and Peugeot have range calculators for the e-208 and e-2008 at different speeds and temperatures on their website, so at least they are being honest about it for once (these figures tally with what independent testers have been getting).

For EVs it’s currently necessary to do an awful lot of research into all the cars & the problems that occur with charging. Despite EVs being technically simpler than fossil burners, the efficiency matters so much more, so that means getting the right profiles programmed into the BMS (Battery Management System), regen braking, etc.

Currently, an MG ZS EV on active cruise control will use the physical disc brakes to slow rather than the regen braking, despite it using regen braking preferentially when you are not using the active cruise control. They are trying to work out a fix on the Bosch system it uses, but it shows that the major car manufacturers are desperately learning how to do things compared to Tesla who are making refinements to an already good system that was designed purely for EVs.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by gothitjulie.
    #117469 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

At the current AP of £1499 the BMW i3s is the electric car bargain this quarter…. Especially if it’s available with a £500 dealer contribution….. By my rough calculations on a mileage 6000 per year it’s possible to save over £700 in fuel costs….. Recharging from 0-80% on a 50 kW CCS Rapid charger takes around 40 minutes! For regular long journeys it’s worth considering the optional “Auxiliary Cabin Heating System” (Heat Pump) for an extra £530

I’d agree mostly. I’ve driven the BMW i3s and it’s a lovely car, but it does “jiggle” down Surrey’s potholed roads. Also the boot space is tiny, an inch too short to hold my high tech folding electric wheelchair.

It made number 3 on my shortlist, I like it a lot.

#117480 Reply
    David Jones

Happy to see that the Kia Soul EV is now on the scheme. £3099 AP seems steep but you get much greater mileage than the e-corsa and the others on offer.

#117485 Reply
    JS

Happy to see that the Kia Soul EV is now on the scheme. £3099 AP seems steep but you get much greater mileage than the e-corsa and the others on offer.

its not, its an oversite by Kia

#117493 Reply
    martino

well kia must have got their the details from somewhere to put that particular car with that exact advance payment, on there website.

#117505 Reply
    Zero1
    Participant

I’d agree mostly. I’ve driven the BMW i3s and it’s a lovely car, but it does “jiggle” down Surrey’s potholed roads. Also the boot space is tiny, an inch too short to hold my high tech folding electric wheelchair. It made number 3 on my shortlist, I like it a lot.

I can agree with both of those statements and it is definitely a compromise car!!! It is however huge fun to drive….. 

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Zero1.
Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Go Electric for under a Grand AP
Your information: