Glos Guy’s Electrical Woes

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have been having some major electrical problems that @kezo has been very kindly advising me on, so I’ve opened a new thread here as I’m conscious that it was dominating my ‘The Search Begins’ thread and was completely  off topic.

@kezo
      The Wylex MCB tripped off yet again last night and that was with the underfloor heating, towel rail, washing machine, tumble drier, shed and security light all switched off. Presumably this means that we can now eliminate all of those things as being the cause? Hope so as I’ve switched them all back on. Is that OK?

The only other things powered from sockets in the extension are now our bedroom (bedside lamps, clock radio, phone, hairdryer) and the rear living room (TV, Sky, BluRay, Soundbar, 2 x electric armchairs and a multi point extension lead that we use to charge our mobiles, iPads etc). I might switch all of them off when I go to bed tonight, on the basis that the last two nights the trip has happened overnight / very early morning. I am assuming that the bedroom is unlikely to be the cause?

That then leaves me with the final test where I switch off all 4 MCBs on the extension consumer unit (but leave the main switch on). As I understand it, if it still trips in that scenario then we have completely ruled out any appliance or device being the cause and it has to be either the Wylex unit or the main cable linking that with the extension consumer unit. Am I correct so far?

Can all these trips be damaging / weakening the new 80a main incoming fuse that the chap from Western Power Distribution fitted last week? I know that it won’t be doing the Wylex Unit or MCB any good, but we are going to replace that regardless.

I’ll let you respond to this post first, but I’ve written out all the things you suggested I talk to my electrician about and I’d be grateful if I could play them back to you as I have a few questions about some of them? Many thanks as always.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

The bedroom is unlikely to be the fault but, given you have gone this far you may as well run the test if safe to do so, especially for your wife.

Yes, the final test is to leave the RCD on and turning all four MCB’s off. This technically has then ruled out you appliances and devices. That said there is one test I purposely haven’t asked you to do, as I’m not confident it will acheive anything at this stage and would involve unplugging every device and turning the isolation switch off to all fixed appliances. Not only would it be a pain in the ass for you, I’m still under the oppinion, it won’t acheive anything at this stage, because if their was faulty device or appliance, it would knock out a MCB or trip the RCD on the extension consumer unit. Thats not to say we don’t carry on with the final two tests we have agreed.

I have done the calculations for the 10m 6mm2 Twin and earth cable supplying the extension consumer unit and have ruled this out as being the problem at this stage. Given the problem occurs early morning it’s unlikely there is an overload, as not many appliances will be turned on to cause it?

It is unlikely a new 80A cut-out will be affected, it would take a dead short to blow it.

To summerise:

The Wylex unit apart from being old, is also likely to be a weak point in the event of external influence, such as at the transformer causing the problem. We also don’t now whether or if any fault current has exceeded the 3kA (3,000A) rating of the MCB, rendering it unuseable or weak. Replacing the Wylex unit won’t cost a fortune and is the first thing I would do,  replacing it with a 63A main switch and 32A 6kA MCB.

Following replacement, I would then wait and see if the fault still persists over the course of a couple of days.

If the problem continues to persist:

Your electrician should be doing a RCD test on the extension consumer unit, to check for any leakage however, I’d expect it to trip an MCB on the extension consumer unit.

Carry out an insulation resistance test on each circuit of the extension consumer unit and also ZS, ZE and R1+R2 tests.

Intermittant PEN fault unlikely but, possible going through the service head but, thats for another day!

Glos Guy
        Participant

Thanks @kezo I’ve now got a long list of things to go through with the electrician. If it’s OK with you, I’m going to repeat them here so that you can tell me if I’ve misunderstood any of them, although I do have some questions about them which, for ease, are in italics;

1) You think it sounds like a L-N (Live – Neutral?) overload Earth fault between Earth & Live or a short circuit somewhere (Do I understand from your last post that given the times it’s tripping – at times of very light usage – you now think that the overload scenario is now unlikely?)

2) There is a load imbalance between the Wylex unit and the extension consumer unit. The extension consumer unit has a 63A 30mA RCD rated at 6kA, along with 4 MCBs rated at 6kA. However, the Wylex unit has 32A MCB rated at 3kA, which may not be strong enough to withstand possible fault currents and is relying on the cut out fuse to absorb the energy coming through. This unit may be seeing a fault that doesn’t necessarily exist. Also, the MCB may be damaged or weakened due to all the trips.

We need to replace the Wylex unit. I am a bit confused as to what we need to replace it with, as you’ve mentioned two different types. I’ve noted a “small 4 module, 2 useable ways consumer unit” and “a modern 3 module consumer unit with a 63A main switch and 32A MCB rated at 6kA”. Which should I suggest and, if it’s the 4 module unit, does it still need a 63A main switch and 32A MCB rated at 6kA?

Discuss with electrician whether better to have a Type C MCB rather than Type B due to the higher load of the extension consumer unit. 

Moving on to tests required (he may have already done some of these), I have captured the following 4 tests, but may have got muddled up as some may be the same thing;

1) Do a prospective fault current test at the extension consumer unit with the power on (tests Earth fault between Live and Earth, and short circuit fault between Live and Neutral). Result will likely be a few thousand amps and probably more than the 3000 amps the Wylex unit is rated at.

2) Do an Earth Loop impedance test

3) RCD test on the extension consumer unit to check for any leakage (you’d expect this to trip an MCB on the consumer unit) – is this the same as test 1, or something different?

4) Carry out an insulation resistance test on each circuit of the extension consumer unit and also ZS, ZE and R1 + R2 tests. 

Question – should these tests be carried out now, or only after replacing the Wylex unit and the fault persists?

Finally, an intermittent PEN fault is unlikely but possible, going through the service head.

I am so sorry to bombard you with these questions but my knowledge of these things is minuscule and I don’t want to look a complete idiot when discussing these things with my electrician. You have the patience of a saint and I am extremely grateful to you.

kezo
          Participant

By telling your electrician all that in one go, he may get the impression you are telling him how to suck eggs and wondering where you have got all the information from all of a sudden, giving him a complex lol.

I would in the first instance ask him to come around and replace the Wylex unit, with a small consumer unit with a main switch and MCB, as its old. It doesn’t matter how many modules/ways it has, as long as it fits in the space.

You could say you have spoke to a electrician friend some distance away and he has suggested changing it, as the old Wylex 3036 breakers (MCB’s) are only rated at 3kA and may be see a fault that doesn’t necessarily exist. such as one from an external influence i.e surges/spikes back at the sub transformer. And I have asked you to discuss the possibilty of a type C breaker (MCB) given its supplying the extension consumer unit.

I would leave it at that for now 🙂

P.S At this point no I don’t believe that there is a short on the cable supplying the extension as the calculatios were in tollerance.

Rich44
            Participant

Haven’t read everything yet but just wanted to point out that you can only truly rule stuff out when fault finding if you isolate it. Not just power or down but physically disconnect it. Good luck with getting to the bottom of it all

kezo
              Participant

Haven’t read everything yet but just wanted to point out that you can only truly rule stuff out when fault finding if you isolate it. Not just power or down but physically disconnect it. Good luck with getting to the bottom of it all

It’s not tripping any of the MCB’s on the consumer unit in the extension, that is suppyling the appliances & devices. Its tripping the old wylex board with a “bs3036” MCB in another part of the house, that is supplying the consumer unit in an extension. I’m therefore not 100% conviced it an appliance or device at fault at this stage.

You need to look at the latter pages of “the search begins” thread for a full picture.

Glos Guy
                Participant

@kezo I’ve known my electrician for around 15 years and he’s done loads of jobs here. He lives in the village and I tipped him £60 for popping around for 15 minutes late the other night when everything failed and we were plunged into darkness with no power, so hopefully he will forgive me asking him lots of dumb arse questions. He knows I’m thick when it comes to these things 😂

Just going back to the questions in my last post though, are all those tests pointless until after the Wylex box has been replaced, or should they be done before it’s removed?

One final question. The Wylex tripped again about 90 minutes ago. I don’t know if this is coincidental, but just before it tripped we had rain and a clap of thunder. I flicked the switch back on and a few seconds later it made a popping noise and went off again. I switched it back on yet again and it’s held so far. Does this latest scenario offer any clues or is it just coincidental? Cheers

kezo
                  Participant

The tests idealy should be done to determine the fault and anything that needs replacing then done. If your electrician has the time to complete the necessary tests before you go a way thats great. My concern was if he was busy to at least get the Wylex changed first, as the Insulation resistance can be time consuming.

1 – We can ignore this question, because the supply cable has tested fine.

2 – the important test is the insulation resistance across all four circuits coming from the extension fuse box, as this is the test that check for any faults on the circuits. To do this test you will have to unplug all your devices, switch off any double pole switch’s and remove light bulbs.

3 – An RCD test can be done to check for any abnormal leakage however, I would expect a faulty RCD to trip an MCB on the extension consumer unit, supplied from the RCD and not before it at the Wylex unit.

3 – An earth fault impedence (ZS), ZE and RI + R2.

4 – A prospective fault current Test, on extension consumer unit. The test is also neede to see if the prospective fault current exceeds 3kA of the Wylex MCB.

In a nutshell you are asking him to carry out what is know as a EICR.

5 – Discuss the potential imbalance of the Wylex MCB being 3kA with the extension consumer unit, along with the possibilty of an external fault, such as a surge from the sub transformer, which may exceed 3kA.

6 – Discuss the possibilty of a Type C MCB when the Wylex board is replaced with it supplying the consumer unit in the extension. Be guided by your electrician here, as there is no right or wrong way.

7 – discuss a possible PEN fault. He will know your area better than anyone and the likelyhood of one.

One final question. The Wylex tripped again about 90 minutes ago. I don’t know if this is coincidental, but just before it tripped we had rain and a clap of thunder. I flicked the switch back on and a few seconds later it made a popping noise and went off again. I switched it back on yet again and it’s held so far. Does this latest scenario offer any clues or is it just coincidental? Cheers

Was the rain heavy? Thunder alone won’t necessarilly trip an MCB.

Even if, it was heavy rain getting into the outside lights, I would expect it to trip the corresponding MCB in the extenson consumer unit, unless the short/fault was going through the extension consumer unit, to the Wylex MCB, with it only being 3kA, half of that of the ones in the extension consumer unit. (a MCB will still work in reverse) but, it wouldnt have blown the 60A cut-out fuse as they are rated at 0.3pf (33kA), unless it was severly weakened from the years of use and the fault/short was travelling into it repeatedly of the last week or so. Cut-out fuses are however, designed so the consumers installation trips first.

I’m talking aloud there mate but I’d at least see if he can do an installation resistance test on the extensin circuits, to determine whether there is a fault on the extension side, appliance, device or outside lights.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by kezo.
                    kezo
                    Participant

You haven’t put any screws or nails into the wall recently, to hang a picture frame etc or removed any?

kezo
                      Participant

How was it last night?

Glos Guy
                        Participant

Morning @kezo Firstly, no I haven’t done anything with the walls, so it’s not that.

I’m kicking myself this morning. I’ll explain why. Last night was the test where I switch off all 4 MCBs on the extension consumer unit, but left the main RCD switch on. 10 minutes before I did this, the power tripped again. Anyway, I turned the Wylex MCB back on and then flipped the consumer switches off before going to bed.

Came down this morning and looked in the meter cupboard and thought that the switch was still on, so no trips. Mindful of what you suggested about giving it as long as possible, I decided not to flip the switches on the consumer unit back on. I got a long extension lead reel and plugged it in to the kitchen (main house) and ran it into the rear living room (extension). I plugged the TV / Sky / Blu Ray and Soundbar, along with my wife’s rise and recline chair into this reel, so that we could use those things with the consumer unit still off.

Prior to switching them on I went back to have another look at the Wylex and realised the MCB was definitely in the ‘off’ position. I’m now thinking that it was probably off when I came downstairs, and I got confused, partly because the main power switch for the Wylex is down for on and up for off, whereas the MCB is the opposite. Also, the ‘on’ mark on the MCB is worn off, and the ‘off’ becomes hidden under the switch when it trips off. So I’m now doubting myself as to whether it was on or off when I came downstairs – after all that 🙄 I suspect it was off and I got confused.

Anyhow, leaving that aside, even if it was still on when I came downstairs, it definitely tripped off in the time it took me to unplug the TV etc and chair – and all 4 MCBs were (and still are) off. I will leave those switches off all day and night to see if it trips again, as I have now turned the Wylex MCB back on.

Sorry to be an idiot, but does this shed any light on anything? If the Wylex MCB has tripped with the 4 consumer unit MCBs off (which it definitely has) does this rule out any sockets / appliances (inc oven) or lights that are all supplied from that consumer unit, meaning that the fault has to be either the Wylex unit (which we are going to replace) or the cable between that and the consumer unit? Or (if it hadn’t tripped off overnight), could the act of just unplugging the items in the living room, even with no power to them, cause a trip if one of those items is the root cause? Hope that all makes sense?

kezo
                          Participant

Sorry to be an idiot, but does this shed any light on anything? If the Wylex MCB has tripped with the 4 consumer unit MCBs off (which it definitely has) does this rule out any sockets / appliances (inc oven) or lights that are all supplied from that consumer unit, meaning that the fault has to be either the Wylex unit (which we are going to replace) or the cable between that and the consumer unit? Or (if it hadn’t tripped off overnight), could the act of just unplugging the items in the living room, even with no power to them, cause a trip if one of those items is the root cause? Hope that all makes sense?

No unfortunately, it doesn’t 100% rule out an appliance or device or even the extension wiring. The only proper way to rule out any appliance or device is to unplug them or turn of any double pole switches supplying fixed appliances such as a cooker and remove all the light bulbs. Only then will you be 100% sure its not an appliance, device or light bulb. By doing this your left with 2 possible faults (1) fault on the extension wiring (2) an inrush current coming into the Wylex MCB from an external influence such as the substation transformer or coming back through the extension consumer unit or a loose connection (previously mentioned) causing an inrush/surge current, when the wire heats up and quickly makes contact are the main ones.

However I puposly haven’t asked you to do this because it will be a PITA and you will have to repeat, if your electricial needs to carry out an insulation resistance test.

As I have said before and can be taken as a positve, if there was an major fault with an appliance, device or extension wiring, I would have expected the correspnding circuit MCB in the extension consumer unit to have tripped. There is a greater possibility the Wylex MCB is tripping because the extension MCB/s are blinded because of their higher kA rating and operating range or it is tripping because of an external inflence or the fact its that old, Does that make sense?

So the reason why I am pushing to replace the Wylex unit first is for a number of reasons. (1) it balances with the extension conumer unit and if there was a fault within the extension, it would trip a MCB on the extension extension consumer unit. (2) Fitting a C Type MCB in the Wylex replacement will ensure a MCB in the extension will trip first but, still afford protection (3) a small inrush current from a breaker at the sub transforformer quickly reseting, is above 3kA but below 6kA but, not an actual fault with your house and  the issue clears because there was no actual fault condition.

(3) above I get alot of where the power very qickly dips and comes back on but, nothing in the house turns off.

What I would like you to do now, is to turn the RCD off in the extension consumer unit, so there is no power going to it at all, rather than repeating/carring on with the current test again today and overnight

Glos Guy
                            Participant

Hi @kezo There had been no trips all day since I have been running the TV, Sky and my wife’s electric chair off an extension lead from the main house (so not via the extension consumer unit). However, I flicked the RCD on the extension box to ‘off’ an hour or so ago, as you suggested in your last post, and it’s just tripped the Wylex MCB. I’ve reset the Wylex MCB back to ‘on’ to see if it does it again overnight.

Two questions;

1) Does the fact that the Wylex MCB has tripped with ALL power on the extension consumer unit switched off either eliminate any possible issues or point to a likely cause? I’m really hoping that we can start narrowing it down.

2) As the TV, Sky, BluRay, Soundbar and my wife’s chair have all been running off the main house via an extension lead, can we now rule those out completely? I’m hoping so, as that would be a great help as it would eliminate two things that we’ve been wondering might be the cause. My wife has been wondering if the Sky Q box is the issue, as the cables connecting it to the satellite dish run inside guttering and several of the trips have been in rain. Also the chair was supplied by the NHS and was refurbished.

The electrician is hoping to come back on Friday. If nothing else, I’ll get the ball rolling with having the Wylex replaced.

P.S. it’s been dry and warm all day, so no rain (which I was thinking might be a factor), but I’m still baffled as to why it seems to trip more late evening or overnight and almost never during the daytime?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
                              kezo
                              Participant

1) Does the fact that the Wylex MCB has tripped with ALL power on the extension consumer unit switched off either eliminate any possible issues or point to a likely cause? I’m really hoping that we can start narrowing it down.

The fact the wylex MCB tripped when turning off the RCD on the extension unit with all MCB’s from a distance  points to a faulty RCD in the extension or the Wylex. The isulation resistance of 0.18 for the supply cable is within tollerance.

(2) Yes you can rule those out because you would expect them to trip a MCB/RCD on the house consumer unit if any were faulty. If the chair motor arced or caused when making contact to move the chair in a non fault condition, there could be a small chance of it going through the board and tripping the weak link (Wylex).

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by kezo.
                                kezo
                                Participant

Mornin GG

Did the Wylex trip through the night?

Glos Guy
                                  Participant

Hi @kezo No it didn’t trip last night (extension consumer unit switched off). Today I turned the power back on as I needed to get the car in and out of the garage. I’ve left it on all day and no trips yet but, as we know, most trips happen at night. It’s also been dry and warm here today and I’m still thinking that rain may be a factor for most, but not all, trips 🤔

kezo
                                    Participant

It will be interesting to see if it trips overnight after the couple of days of decent weather, but it does make me wonder whether there is a fault of some nature on the extension side, whether that be water or dampness in one of the outside lights or in the garage/shed we havent spoke an awfull lot about and it going throgh the board and tripping the weakest link, rather than a MCB on the extension unit, which would have made it easier to diagnose.

I would be interested to here how it goes tonight with the power back on, as I’d hope any dampness in any outsides lights has dried up now, you can often check for this by looking for condensation on the glass when the sun shines or zoom in with your camera phone to see if there any standing water inside the light, which is often noticed as an algae line however, if there was standing water over the connections the MCB would not turn back on and would trip the RCD depending where the water was lying, even if you had turned the the MCB off to try and irradicate the problem!

I think because it’s tripping the Wylex and not a MCB on the extension comsumer unit, which would have being much easier to diagnose over the internet and any further testing would require you removing neutral and wires to each circuit as well as turning the MCB off, which I’m not encoraginging you to do.

I therefore think it is time for your electrican to be on “site” and carry out at least a full insulation resistance test on the 4 circuits in the extension. This will require all appliances and devices to be unplugged, any fixed appliances to be switched off at the dp isolator and light bulbs removed. The garage should be isolated whils’t the extension consumer unit is tested and its own test if required as its own DB Consumer unit. Testing is done if your intersted, on a IR or multufunction tester sending 500V DC unless you have LED light bulb transforms or other electronic items, which is best done on 250V DC. Testing is done across L+N of the main switch/RCD (turned off) and MCB’s turned on, then live conductors to to earh (cpc), L+CPC & N+CPC. Your electrician can also do a 5x 10x RCD test to check it working correctly.

Replace the Wylex as previously described (i’d mark that as C1 on a EICR anyway), if  its considered the flood lights are the problem, replace them to avoid any future problems when it rains. If its a mouse in garage/shed shoot it!

At least you have an history of when it tripping, along with a few tests you have  done, to discuss with him, however I’m happy to answer any further questions you have anytime 🙂

P.S you might want to make sure everything is unplugged in garrage/shed.

Glos Guy
                                      Participant

@kezo Overnight update. Left everything switched on overnight. Woke at 2am power still on. Had to get up at 5.30am. Power off as Wyles fuse tripped again. I decided to turn off all 4 MCBs on the extension consumer unit and also turn off the RCD on it, which I did, and then flick the Wylex fuse back on to see if it tripped again today with no power in the extension at all. As I tried to flick the Wylex fuse back on it banged and sparked as it did the night when it took out the main incoming 60amp fuse. Thankfully the new 80amp fuse held this time, so we have power in the main house, but I’m not touching anything now (leaving all switches ‘off’) as the electrician is coming tomorrow. No rain during the night.

kezo
                                        Participant

Morning @Glos-Guy

Turning the the RCD off “isolates” the extension consumer unit from the incomming supply from the Wylex unit. In theory this isolates from the system from its elecrical supply along with any any faults that may have been pressent. The only common througout is ground (earth) which cannot be turned off by a switch.

Difficulty energising the Wylex, when the extension consumer unit is turned off at the main switch/RCD, isolating it from the incomming supply, sugests there is a “fault” on the incomming supply equipment (Wylex) or the supply cable which brings us back to what was initially suggested, on the “search begins” thread.

The fact the Wylex didn’t trip yesterday, when you turned the RCD off, is likely to indicate an intermittant fault.

Perhaps the most important advice you can give your electrician is, the Wylex MCB is still tripping, when the extension consumer unit is isolated from the circuit with the RCD in the off position and it also tripped the other day when you turned the extension RCD off with the Wylex MCB in the on position. Your electrician can pay particuly attention to the supply side and perhaps run more tests.

I’m going to rule out any external influences for the moment, especially as it looking like it could be an internittant fault on the supply side, along with the fact that the Wylex MCB is only rated at 3kA as discussed before. If the supply cable to the extension still clears his insulation resistance test, the first thing I would be changing is the Wylex unit along with a Type C MCB, which you need to run past your electrician.

Glos Guy
                                          Participant

Morning @kezo The electrician has been here this morning and was very patient whilst I went through my long list of what has been happening and all the things you’d suggested!

Many of the tests you were talking about he had already done on his first visit (as I suspected). Bottom line, he thinks that the fault isn’t to do with an appliance or light, he thinks it’s the cable linking the Wylex with the extension consumer unit.

By Monday latest, he’s going to replace the Wylex Unit with a 3 module consumer unit. He said he’ll get 80A (you’d said 63A) main switch and a Type C 32A MCB. It will be rated at 6kA so we address the load imbalance.

He doesn’t think this will solve the problem though, so to test the theory that it’s the supply cable he’s going to rig up a temporary arrangement between the new unit and the extension consumer unit. If that solves the problem, he has proposed a far easier and less disruptive solution to a permanent replacement of the cable which will avoid taking up floorboards (or chipboard) and drilling through 18” thick stone walls. There is a void in the porch above the main meter box which can deal with the first 10 feet then he can drill a hole at the back of the porch and affix a trunked run of external cabling to the outside of the house to connect to the extension consumer box. Whilst not ideal, I’d much prefer that to all the disruption in the house. At least it will be accessible.

It may be wise to do this regardless of whether or not it’s the cause of the current power trips, as we know that there’s a definite issue with the existing cable. After all of that if we still have a problem then I’m going to blow the house up and claim on my insurance 😂

kezo
                                            Participant

By Monday latest, he’s going to replace the Wylex Unit with a 3 module consumer unit. He said he’ll get 80A (you’d said 63A) main switch and a Type C 32A MCB. It will be rated at 6kA so we address the load imbalance.

Thats absolutely fine mate, as I only suggested 63A because thats what I thought the RCD in the extension consumer unit was rated at but it’s neither there as the MCB is supplying the extension consumer unit.

I would have probably gone for the Wylex change in the first instance, as that would have ruled out any external influences such as breaker tripping and re-energising quickly at the transformer, potentially causing small spikes enough to knock out the Wylex 3kA breaker, but not 6kA. The reason I say this is the IR test on the cable he did was 0.18 mega Ohmes, which when I calculated it was bank on. However thats not to say the supply cable hasn’t got an intermittant fault and wouldn’t measure a different reading shortly after the MCB tripped.

Something for you to seriously think about! If your thinking of replacing the cable, I’d suggest replacing it with 10mm2, which will future proof the extension consumer unit should you ever want a charger fitted! (The MCB in the new board can then be uprated to a higher A cheaply when and where needed)

Increasing the size of the cable will also better meet your maximum demand on the extension consumer unit, which is 44.8A for future additions.

I fully agree with the route he propesed, as this is the route I suggested when your were considering the implications of having a charger.

The only thing I would have done different, is use SWA (armoued cable) clipped direct using Safe D clips (as below) rather than trunking but thats personally and ultimately down to the customer.

I’m glad he can fit you in quickly, it lessons my concern of you or mrs GG tripping over extension cables or overloading them.

I

Glos Guy
                                              Participant

Thanks @kezo. The Wylex unit is definitely being replaced first. I don’t think he’s going to do the temporary cable replacement on the same day, so we might get a day or two to see if the new unit trips first.

He mentioned upgrading the cable to future proof, should we have an EV charger in the future, so that’s already been covered.

Trunking was my word as it’s surface mounted, not chased into the wall. I’ll check what he’s proposing and show him your photo diagram. Cheers.

kezo
                                                Participant

Trunking was my word as it’s surface mounted, not chased into the wall. I’ll check what he’s proposing and show him your photo diagram. Cheers.

If an house is rendered, I normally suggest opting for D Line curved trunking coming down the wall, as its available in many colours and the Safe D clips,cliping the SWA below the render line. (I prefer SWA outside, as not only does it have more impact strength but also the current carrying capacity (Amps) is greater than T+E)

This short video shows the principle and will give you an idea what I’m rambling on about.

Other than you keeping me updated on the on going progess , I take it you have now made me redundant 😂

Glos Guy
                                                  Participant

I think I do need to make you redundant @kezo as I may start testing my electricians patience if I keep going back with more and more 😂 Seriously though, you have been an absolute star and I am extremely grateful for your thoughts and guidance, so thank you very much indeed.

He’s just phoned and said he’s bought the new unit to replace the Wylex and will fit it tomorrow morning. He will leave it at that tomorrow, so that we can turn everything back on in the extension and run it for a few days to see if that alone has solved the problem.

If we still get trips, plan B will then be to run a temporary cable between the new unit and the extension consumer unit and, again, leave for a few days to see if we still get trips. If we don’t, we move to plan C which is to replace that cable properly on the assumption that the cable has been the problem all along.

I’ll post an update after each phase 🫣

joss

@Glos Guy

At what plan will the “Blowing up the house” Be? Will you be hiring @Kezo for  demolition?

Joss
                                                      Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Glos Guy
                                                      Participant

@Glos Guy At what plan will the “Blowing up the house” Be? Will you be hiring @Kezo for demolition?

With all the problems we’ve had Joss, I shall save that pleasure for myself 😂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.