Glos Guy and Other X1 owners – help needed please!

• Creator
    Topic
  • #164568 Reply
    Rachel

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@Glos Guy and anyone else who can help and advise me please, have I made the right choice? I’ve been stressing out ever since I placed the order!</p>
    Basically, I ordered the BMW X1 xline 18d auto just over a week ago. I managed to get the £500 discount too from the dealer too, which is great.
    I ordered that particular engine as I believed it would save me money on fuel compared to the 20i petrol variant.
    I drive approximately 20 miles a day during the week and maybe 30 miles a day on weekends. I mainly do town driving with the occasional 60 mile round trip motorway journey, twice a month. I also live in West Yorkshire, near Huddersfield where it is hilly. My last two cars have had 4wd and the 18d doesn’t.
    Should I call the dealer and ask if I can change the model? Is this possible? Also, will the 20i cost a lot more in fuel?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really don’t know what to do!

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #164583 Reply
    joss

@Rachel Yes of course you can call your deal and change model. There are 7 models to choose from. They are all estates.

BMW X1 ESTATE XDRIVE 20I SPORT 5DR STEP AUTO 4×4 Average miles per gallon 38.2 mpg

BMW X1 ESTATE XDRIVE 20I XLINE 5DR STEP AUTO 4×4 Average miles per gallon 38.2 mpg

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#164584 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

If there are s-drive models available they will use less fuel.

#164587 Reply
    Rachel

Thank you for your replies, Joss and Wigwam. I guess I got a bit confused as the BMW saleswoman told me that as petrol is cheaper than diesel and as I’m doing mainly short, stop/start town driving, the fuel saving will be negligible. She also thought that the xdrive would be better for where I live.

Is she right to say that or is she telling me fibs? Ha ha!

#164588 Reply
    Rachel

My current car and last car was diesel but she predicted that it will increase in price due to it going out of favour?

#164591 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

The x-drive is better if you are driving in mud or snow, but going up and down hills the s-drive is fine. All cars have traction control.  The dealer should have mentioned diesel engines aren’t good for many short journeys.  Unless you do lots of miles, I would get a 2 litre s-drive. Over the three years  and 22000 miles we had ours it averaged over 42 mpg which was generally about 38  locally and on long motorway journeys 50mpg was easy to get.

#164594 Reply
    joss

Good points Wigwam.

Joss
    ***🌻🌻🌻 ***
    Current car BMW X2 2.0i Sport sDrive Auto 2019 with Sport pack
    Last car Ford Focus Titanium 1.5 TDCI
    Builder of Gaming PC's

#164596 Reply
    Rachel

Yes, thank you Wigwam. She didn’t mention that about diesel either. I remember now that my previous car before the one I have now (Mini Countryman 2.0 SD) had problems and the garage said it was due to a build up of carbon (I think?)

If I change to the petrol model and I can get 35 mpg or above, I will be happy with that. Did you have the sdrive petrol or the xdrive petrol?

#164597 Reply
    Rachel

My memory isn’t great as I’ve had a brain injury so sorry if I’m having you repeating yourself! 🙄😂

#164598 Reply
    Wigwam

We had the S-drive. At the time the X-drive wasn’t an option. For handling and sports driving the X-drive would undoubtedly be better but with about a 2 or 3 mpg penalty. We were very happy with how the S-drive performed, not having many opportunities for spirited driving in Dorset.

#164609 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Rachel. Sorry for the delay in responding. Firstly, congratulations on getting the £500 discount off the AP which seems to be available to all who ask! Secondly, don’t panic! Either engine will be fine for you and all the 4 cylinder engines in the X1 are excellent.

Although we have a 20i xDrive (4 wheel drive) I wasn’t able to test drive one with that engine before we got ours and I had two separate extended test drives (2-3 hours each) in two different 18d X1’s, an auto XLine sDrive (2WD) – which is the exact model you have ordered – and a manual MSport xDrive (4WD). The three cars are all quite different and I will try to explain why.

We are very pleased with our choice of the 20i xDrive (4WD). We like to have the extra sure-footedness that the 4WD gives you. Traction and grip are noticeably better than the 2WD versions when pulling away quickly on poor surfaces and when pressing on hard on twisty roads. However, I appreciate that for the vast majority of people they will never need that extra ability. I have had some scary moments in 2WD cars when I have been caught in snow unexpectedly and we have elderly parents who may need us in adverse weather, so for the small extra advance payment and the minimal fuel sacrifice over the 2WD sDrive it was a no brainer for us. We are also in the fortunate position that running costs aren’t a concern for us so we choose the very best car for our needs, not the cheapest to run. With the sort of journeys you do, I would suggest that you would achieve high 30’s mpg on your daily 20 miles and mid 40’s on your 60 mile motorway runs. The engine is near silent (quieter than the ventilation fan on its lowest setting), very punchy when you want it to be and incredibly refined. The 4WD 20i has slightly better performance than the 2WD as a result of the better traction and a different sports auto box, but both would be excellent cars.

The 18d engine is an absolute peach. I have run quite a few BMW’s with the 20d engine and although the 18d has less power it doesn’t feel like it. As with all BMW diesels, it doesn’t sound like one. It’s a very smooth, quiet and refined engine with plenty of grunt. Had the 20i not been available to us I would have had this engine quite happily, although we can only get it with 2WD. I should think that you would get 5 to 10mpg better fuel economy than the 20i. Only you can answer whether that is a major factor for you (diesel is only around 1p per litre more than petrol at present, so you only really need to work out comparative costs on mpg).

I’m conscious that I probably haven’t helped you by not strongly recommending one over the other because they are all different and each will suit some people more than others, depending on priorities, but whichever one you choose I can assure you will be a very nice car indeed. As I say, we are delighted with ours but if the only option had been the 18d sDrive I don’t think we would have been disappointed with it. We would have just had to try to avoid using it on the rare occasion that it snows!

#164621 Reply
    Rachel.K

@Glos Guy, thank you so much for your advice and comparisons of both engines/models. I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. By the way, your car looks beautiful on the photos I’ve seen.

Fuel costs are unfortunately a factor for me as I’ve been forced to take early ill health retirement. However the mpg figures that you are getting from your car are quite reasonable in my opinion. They are similar to what I’m getting now from my current car (Audi Q3) and I’ve realised that I will hopefully be doing even less miles soon as most of the daily miles are taking my daughter to college and she’s taking her driving test in November.

What does concern me is the bad weather and how the car handles in the snow. I live high up on the Pennines and when we got bad snow last year and the year before, my Audi was one of the only cars that managed to get out of my avenue. Gritters don’t come down my avenue as it gets really bad if we have snow and ice. I also have elderly parents who needed help last year with shopping and Drs appointments. My Father still drives but will be giving up shortly as he’s almost 80 and my Mother can’t drive.

So on that note, I think the same model As yours would suit me best. I know I can’t predict if we get snow but having the reassurance and 4WD is the dealbrealer for me. I  just hope the dealer isn’t annoyed with me for changing my mind!

Thanks so much to everyone who replied, you’re all so helpful and lovely!

#164623 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

The x-drive is better if you are driving in mud or snow, but going up and down hills the s-drive is fine. All cars have traction control. The dealer should have mentioned diesel engines aren’t good for many short journeys. Unless you do lots of miles, I would get a 2 litre s-drive. Over the three years and 22000 miles we had ours it averaged over 42 mpg which was generally about 38 locally and on long motorway journeys 50mpg was easy to get.

All correct, but one thing to add, because that’s of importance for us in particular: Diesels take considerably longer to get warm. Not just the engine, but the cabin as well. Since my wife has to combat Raynaud’s amongst other things, for us it’s important that the cabin gets warm as quickly as possible. In a petrol (ours), it takes around 200 metres for the heater to spew warmth – it takes considerably longer in a diesel.

Not to mention that with many short trips, DPFs can create issues, though there’s better and worse engines for that. Short trips are never great for oil burners though, and there’s quite literally zero upside to them (higher up front cost, higher running cost, more weight, higher consumption due to the engine not getting warm on shorter trips/inefficiency etc). They are torquier in lower RPMs, but with turbo petrols, that’s negligible. That’s not to say that diesels don’t have their place – but for most non-commuting people, petrols are just the better engine.

#164626 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@Glos Guy, thank you so much for your advice and comparisons of both engines/models. I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. By the way, your car looks beautiful on the photos I’ve seen. Fuel costs are unfortunately a factor for me as I’ve been forced to take early ill health retirement. However the mpg figures that you are getting from your car are quite reasonable in my opinion. They are similar to what I’m getting now from my current car (Audi Q3) and I’ve realised that I will hopefully be doing even less miles soon as most of the daily miles are taking my daughter to college and she’s taking her driving test in November. What does concern me is the bad weather and how the car handles in the snow. I live high up on the Pennines and when we got bad snow last year and the year before, my Audi was one of the only cars that managed to get out of my avenue. Gritters don’t come down my avenue as it gets really bad if we have snow and ice. I also have elderly parents who needed help last year with shopping and Drs appointments. My Father still drives but will be giving up shortly as he’s almost 80 and my Mother can’t drive. So on that note, I think the same model As yours would suit me best. I know I can’t predict if we get snow but having the reassurance and 4WD is the dealbrealer for me. I just hope the dealer isn’t annoyed with me for changing my mind! Thanks so much to everyone who replied, you’re all so helpful and lovely!

Hi Rachel. You are welcome. I’ve had loads of diesels and I have to say that I’ve not experienced any of the problems that Rene mentions. Also, with it being a lease car, some of those issues don’t apply (costs etc) or are less of an issue (e.g. in the unlikely event of a problem, it’s not you who pays). Also, with a 60 mile motorway drive each week you won’t have dpf issues as that run will burn off any accumulation. That being said, I tend to agree that with your type of driving and preference for 4WD, the 20i xDrive might be your best bet. We have moved from a VW Tiguan 2.0 TDi 190PS diesel and the petrol 2.0i BMW engine is just as economical (and significantly more refined), so no increase in running costs for us by moving to petrol unlike, for example, the B4P 2.0i Volvo XC40 which is very fuel inefficient. The BMW engine is also considerably more powerful than the only petrol engine that you can get in either the Audi Q3 or Mercedes GLA through Motability, although the latter is sadly no longer available.

So, in summary, if running costs are a major concern for you, I wouldn’t be at all concerned about getting the diesel. However, if you will feel happier having 4WD I don’t  think that you will find the 20i xDrive to be a thirsty car, although one other forum user is only averaging 34mpg in his, so you should maybe assume that you might get closer to that than what I am achieving (we don’t live in a city so aren’t in stop start traffic all the time). The sDrive (2WD) will be a few mpg better but, like you, we feel that’s a price worth paying for all the benefits, which you get all the time (better performance etc) and not just when it snows.

#164645 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

I’ve had loads of diesels and I have to say that I’ve not experienced any of the problems that Rene mentions.

This is basic physics. Unless you drive a magic carpet, this doesn’t change. Petrols are less thermoefficient (generate more heat), weigh less due to not being cast iron everything (less “block” to heat up, lighter pistons etc) and run thinner oil.

All of that means that a diesel takes considerably longer to heat up. That’s the reason why diesel isn’t recommended for short journeys (apart from the DPF issue) – otherwise it wouldn’t make much sense to buy a petrol at all (especially in countries like germany, where diesel is 23p a litre cheaper than petrol). A short journey (<15 minutes) isn’t enough to bring a diesel to temperature (especially in city traffic).

You might not have noticed, sure – but as i said, there’s no way around this, there’s no magic diesels that don’t work like this. Don’t just take my word for it btw, plenty of sources on the web on that.

You are correct though, i missed the weekly motorway journey, DPF wouldn’t be an issue there.

#164646 Reply
    Rachel

Thank you again @Glos Guy and @Rene, your comments have really helped me decide.
    I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that I don’t know a great deal about engines except for where the oil, water and fuel goes and checking the tyres.  I leave the rest to the garage! Plus I hadn’t thought about the Diesel engine or cabin taking longer to heat up. It makes sense now and I was thinking that the heating system in my Audi was rubbish ha ha!

I’m going to call the dealership now to change my order, Hope she’s not too annoyed😬!

Glos Guy, please can I ask you one more question? How much does it cost to fill the tank in your BMW? It’s £84ish in my Audi for 475 miles.

Thanks!

#164653 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Hi Rachel, just to let you know I have the 2.0 petrol in my 3 series and it’s a lovely engine. So smooth and quiet with reasonable fuel economy. Heats up much quicker than my old diesel BMW did which has led to better fuel economy over short journeys. I don’t think that I could go back to diesel again.

#164662 Reply
    Rachel

Thank you Elliot, that’s useful info too. I think it is time for me to change to petrol as the amount of driving that I do is a lot less than when I was working. In fact my last 3 Motability cars have had Diesel engines but I was doing a fair bit of motorway driving for my job, probably about 80 miles a day so the diesel made sense. Now I’m just pottering about (bored senseless I might add!) since I was medically retired from my nursing job in the NHS. At least I should enjoy the BMW when I get it, as I like driving and I’ve heard they’re lovely to drive🤞🏻😊

#164686 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Thank you again @Glos Guy and @Rene, your comments have really helped me decide. Glos Guy, please can I ask you one more question? How much does it cost to fill the tank in your BMW? It’s £84ish in my Audi for 475 miles. Thanks!

The last time I filled up, when I had around 30 miles range left, the car took just over 60 litres, so it was about £80. When full the car has a range of around 550 miles and that can stretch to 600 miles on long journeys. Much better than our diesel Tiguan which needed filling up much more frequently!

#164709 Reply
    Rachel

Thanks Glos Guy, that’s great to know. Sorry for all the questions, your feedback has been very helpful 😊👍🏻

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Reply To: Glos Guy and Other X1 owners – help needed please!
Your information: