Full Review of Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5T 176PS auto

This topic contains 40 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Macca 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #77666 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Our third Motability car is the Kuga Vignale 1.5T 176PS auto in magnetic. White leather – no longer available. Only other extra is wind deflectors front and back. We couldn’t afford the £900 for the sunroof, which is why we chose white leather – it really lightens up the inside of the car. AP (at the time) £2,395 + £79 for the wind deflectors.

The equipment list for the Vignale is already impressive, but is missing a sunroof and BLIS (Blind Spot) as standard.

We ordered the car on the 11th December 2018 and took delivery on the 14th March. So 13 weeks and 2 days. The dealer actually had the car almost 3 weeks before, but e had to wait for the 3 year anniversary of our current lease – Vauxhall Zafira Tourer SE 1.4T auto in black. We had a Ford Focus Estate 125ps auto in white previous to that.

We were, without difficulty, able to get test drives of a Titanium trim, and an ST-line. The ST was too stiff for our knackered backs, but its handling was crisper in corners. We were treated very well by the dealership – nothing seemed too much trouble. I wish this was the case for all Motability customers.

The engine feels powerful and accelerates quickly when needed. I’ve done mostly town driving, but had one trip around most of the M25 and into central London. The Vignale trim has extra sound proofing, and it shows. There is some wind noise at speed from the wing mirrors, but not much else.

This trim is AWD, but drive is mostly to the front wheels only, unless needed. The difference is obvious on the grass, or in the wet. AWD feels much more stable.

This beast is, as expected, thirsty! We’re getting around 24.3 mpg on average. This goes up to 30ish on faster roads.

The seats are very comfortable, even for long distances. Driver’s memory powered seat is saving my arthritic bones much pain getting in and out, as it automatically moves back and forwards for you. Sadly, only the driver’s seat is powered. All four doors open very wide – almost to 90 degrees.

The main reason we chose the Kuga is that it is one of the few cars left on the scheme with a very high equipment level + 82cm tailgate opening height needed for the power hoist for my wife’s manual wheelchair. There is little room for anything else in the back though – see photograph. People have complained the power tailgate is slow but, at <10 secs to open or close, I’m not complaining.

The reversing camera, park assist, front and rear sensors etc. also save me painful twisting and stretching. The view out the front and sides is great, but that front A frame is thick and obstructive.

The infotainment system is fast, responsive, and logical. It is also badly placed. Most functions can be accessed by voice, but you otherwise have a long stretch to reach on-screen controls. Also Ford, why isn’t there a physical Home button! Also, why does it look like I have the head of a Halo video game character embedded in the dash? See photo – some SatNav info blurred out for privacy.

The cabin is very comfortable generally, but feels a generation old in terms of layout and design of the dash, infotainment, and centre console. There should be digital instruments and a HUD (Head Up Display) at this trim level. Maybe the new Kuga will get these?

The high seating position makes it easy – and comfortable – for both of us to get in and out of the car.

We love the car, and our niggles are minor:

The bonnet release catch – not the interior one, the one under the bonnet – is a PITA to get to. It’s small, fiddly, hard to find, and stiff to operate.

That A frame is huge! Blocks a significant angle of view.

Switching between Apple CarPlay and the car’s own functions is very fiddly. It’s easier to unplug the phone.

Why is there no way to drop the back seats from the rear of the car? You have to access the release from the passenger doors.

I hope this helps, although the Kuga gets replaced by the new version at the end of this year.

• This topic was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Confusicated.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Mota cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #88677 Reply

Dave h

this was going down previous post was return with extra 40st on board missis. mother and sister in law

#88679 Reply

Dave h

Sorry I forgot to say nice car

#88711 Reply

paul

its a comfy car i have one it at the end of the lease now  but i only get 20 around town and 30 if im on the mway its the 1.5t the stop start is terrible and works when it wants to i wont be getting another one and i def wouldnt recommend the 1.5 one to anyone

#88713 Reply

lesmond
    Participant

its a comfy car i have one it at the end of the lease now but i only get 20 around town and 30 if im on the mway its the 1.5t the stop start is terrible and works when it wants to i wont be getting another one and i def wouldnt recommend the 1.5 one to anyone

I found The stop/start only works if the aircon is turned off, mine is a 1.5 petrol.

2019. KUGA Titanium X Edition 1.5, petrol, manual in Chrome Blue

#88718 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

I’m a bit confused about the stop/start issues some are reporting, as I’m finding it works well, whether the a/c is on or off.

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Mota cars:

#88724 Reply

lesmond
    Participant

Mine works ok until I turn the AC on 🙁 and then its intermittent

#88728 Reply

Markymate

Lesmond, it does that when the aircon is on, as the battery can’t keep all the other systems supplied without the engine running. Its basically a fail stop to stop the battery draining to much.

#88730 Reply

Confusicated
    Participant

Good point Markymate. The start/stop will start again if you’ve been stopped for very long with things like the a/c running, heated screens on etc. As you say, to preserve the battery.

Previous Mota cars:

#88731 Reply

lesmond
    Participant

Lesmond, it does that when the aircon is on, as the battery can’t keep all the other systems supplied without the engine running. Its basically a fail stop to stop the battery draining to much.

Yes I understand that, I was just answering Pauls post

#88852 Reply

Philjb

Magnetic is the best colour ford do in my opinion, it looks much like our metalic grey indium Tiguan.

I always like the way fords drive, they know how to make any car handle really safe but fun. We loved out Galaxy titanium X , but now don’t need such a big car.

The only thing that lets some fords down is the infotainment systems that are a bit fiddly and not the reverse camera image isn’t as clear as the vw.

hopefully the mpg will improve the more miles you do.

#89153 Reply

paul

i asked about the stop start and only works if battery above a certain level i forget what it was , the car other than the few niggles is an ok car but i wish id got diesel version instead as the mpg is awful as i was told 35 to 40 around town and i got 20 and thats driving like miss daisy , but i have had the kids say the back isnt comfy but i dont care im in the front lol

#89155 Reply

paul

im not joking mine doesnt work with aircon on or off as tried everything with it over the three years the ford reply was cause i do short journeys. im actually shocked when it does work lol if it worked well the mpg would be a lot better though so perhaps ford need to put bigger battery to the car to address the issue

#89160 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

i asked about the stop start and only works if battery above a certain level i forget what it was , the car other than the few niggles is an ok car but i wish id got diesel version instead as the mpg is awful as i was told 35 to 40 around town and i got 20 and thats driving like miss daisy , but i have had the kids say the back isnt comfy but i dont care im in the front lol

Wow that’s bad, we have just got back from holiday our 2 litre Kuga Powershift towing a 1500 kg caravan, (the fuel consumption seems to be improving with mileage we are now at 16000 miles) on the way down towing at approximately 50mph ish 34mpg, on the way back towing at 60mph 29.5mpg.

As regards the stop start you can switch it off in the settings, I leave mine off at present normal driving 44-46 mpg

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#89163 Reply

Philjb

Wow 20 mpg in a modern family suv is pretty shocking,

As for the stop start, it definitely is connected to the mileage you do, when we first got ours it was really hit and miss if it worked.

10 months and coming up to 18k miles later it works every time even with the aircon on full.

But I’m not a fan of the VW version it’s almost dangerous at times, it cuts out right at the time you want to pull away, as it works on breaking pressure.
    Also sometimes it will cut out while your still coasting to a stop? So it gets switched off when family is in the car.

#89167 Reply

Macca

We have a 2.2 diesel santa fe which does 5000 miles a year, and the start stop works perfectly everytime. In contrast to that we very briefly had a diabolical Vauxhall Mokka in 2013 and amongst other issues the start stop had a mind of its own and was total pants.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Full Review of Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5T 176PS auto

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: