Full Review of Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5T 176PS auto

• Creator
    Topic
    Participant

Our third Motability car is the Kuga Vignale 1.5T 176PS auto in magnetic. White leather – no longer available. Only other extra is wind deflectors front and back. We couldn’t afford the £900 for the sunroof, which is why we chose white leather – it really lightens up the inside of the car. AP (at the time) £2,395 + £79 for the wind deflectors.

The equipment list for the Vignale is already impressive, but is missing a sunroof and BLIS (Blind Spot) as standard.

We ordered the car on the 11th December 2018 and took delivery on the 14th March. So 13 weeks and 2 days. The dealer actually had the car almost 3 weeks before, but e had to wait for the 3 year anniversary of our current lease – Vauxhall Zafira Tourer SE 1.4T auto in black. We had a Ford Focus Estate 125ps auto in white previous to that.

We were, without difficulty, able to get test drives of a Titanium trim, and an ST-line. The ST was too stiff for our knackered backs, but its handling was crisper in corners. We were treated very well by the dealership – nothing seemed too much trouble. I wish this was the case for all Motability customers.

The engine feels powerful and accelerates quickly when needed. I’ve done mostly town driving, but had one trip around most of the M25 and into central London. The Vignale trim has extra sound proofing, and it shows. There is some wind noise at speed from the wing mirrors, but not much else.

This trim is AWD, but drive is mostly to the front wheels only, unless needed. The difference is obvious on the grass, or in the wet. AWD feels much more stable.

This beast is, as expected, thirsty! We’re getting around 24.3 mpg on average. This goes up to 30ish on faster roads.

The seats are very comfortable, even for long distances. Driver’s memory powered seat is saving my arthritic bones much pain getting in and out, as it automatically moves back and forwards for you. Sadly, only the driver’s seat is powered. All four doors open very wide – almost to 90 degrees.

The main reason we chose the Kuga is that it is one of the few cars left on the scheme with a very high equipment level + 82cm tailgate opening height needed for the power hoist for my wife’s manual wheelchair. There is little room for anything else in the back though – see photograph. People have complained the power tailgate is slow but, at <10 secs to open or close, I’m not complaining.

The reversing camera, park assist, front and rear sensors etc. also save me painful twisting and stretching. The view out the front and sides is great, but that front A frame is thick and obstructive.

The infotainment system is fast, responsive, and logical. It is also badly placed. Most functions can be accessed by voice, but you otherwise have a long stretch to reach on-screen controls. Also Ford, why isn’t there a physical Home button! Also, why does it look like I have the head of a Halo video game character embedded in the dash? See photo – some SatNav info blurred out for privacy.

The cabin is very comfortable generally, but feels a generation old in terms of layout and design of the dash, infotainment, and centre console. There should be digital instruments and a HUD (Head Up Display) at this trim level. Maybe the new Kuga will get these?

The high seating position makes it easy – and comfortable – for both of us to get in and out of the car.

We love the car, and our niggles are minor:

The bonnet release catch – not the interior one, the one under the bonnet – is a PITA to get to. It’s small, fiddly, hard to find, and stiff to operate.

That A frame is huge! Blocks a significant angle of view.

Switching between Apple CarPlay and the car’s own functions is very fiddly. It’s easier to unplug the phone.

Why is there no way to drop the back seats from the rear of the car? You have to access the release from the passenger doors.

I hope this helps, although the Kuga gets replaced by the new version at the end of this year.

Current: MY24 Renault Austral Iconic FHD. AP £3,995 +£570 for hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
      2013 Ford Focus estate petrol auto.
      2016 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto.
      2019 Ford Kuga Vignale 1.5 petrol auto AWD.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Participant

My wife wants me to add that the front passenger seat has the very hard to adjust wheel for seat back angle. Horrible.

Confusicated, thanks for posting your informative and detailed review, It’s a very posh looking motor set off by a perfect colour choice.

Let us know about fuel consumption in a few weeks time. Cheers.

Participant

It’s unspammed. Yay!

BTW Just Saying, all the piccies are from my laptop. None are attempting to link elsewhere. So maybe it is the large # of images – which I thought might be helpful – that triggered the spam pixies.

JS
            Participant

Thank you for taking the time, it looks great and I’m sure your informed post will help others .

vinalspin
              Participant

When you say about not much space left in the boot after putting in the Karma Flex Wheelchair I assume that is the standard sized one and not the supersized one for fatties like I have, would that larger one fit in at all?

Participant

That is the standard size Karma Flex, yes. It was slightly modified for back height, footrest position etc, but is the standard chair.

If the larger chair is wider, it would not fit. Part of the problem though is the hoist. Yu can see how much width that needs to work in. What you can’t see is that the chair is up against the rear seats in their upright position.

Hoist is the Autiochair 40kg Smartlifter transferable. I different hoist might cope.

vinalspin
                  Participant

Ah, does seem a little like overkill for such a light chair, might be able to sub it out to lift a few I beams for the construction industry as it can get into tighter spaces than a mobile crane! ?

Participant

LOL!

The lighter hoist was originally specified, as we had in the Zafira, but the order was cocked up. We were only charged £125. The 40kg is £179

Oscarmax
                      Participant

Our Kuga is the Zetec model 2 years ago it was the only diesel automatic option, we went for the 2 litre diesel powershift as we tow a caravan, it make an excellent tow car. For some reason our Kuga came with some extras climate control, sat navy and electric handbrake at no extra charge. Fuel consumption 38 in the winter, 40 -43 in the summer 28 – 30 towing a 1500kg caravan. Do date the Kuga has been bulletproof not one fault or hiccup.

Participant

Oscarmax,

If it wasn’t for most of our mileage being short runs around town, we’d have found the extra £600 for the 2 litre diesel.

Getting those extras was a great result for you.

Anonymous

Thank you @Confusicated very good review, can’t wait for our Kuga Titanium X Edition 1.5 in Chrome Blue only 4 1/2 weeks now!

My wife has a electric scooter which can be taken down to 5 parts so will easy fit in the boot, and I can lift each bit myself.

I’m surprised the Vignale don’t have a sunroof, our will have a full panoramic SR, and full leather seats, with heated front seats.

Participant

Lesmond

The Vignale has all the extras, except for SR and BLIS. Crazy.

Yeah, you should have plenty of room for your wife’s scooter dismantled.

My wife is the wheelchair user, but I am disabled with osteoarthritis – I get PIP high rate mobility too – e actually have the car via my PIP. I cannot lift her chair in, otherwise we would have had a much wider choice of SUVs.  :/

Participant

Did I mention the Sony sound system is really good?

Philjb

I do love that colour it looks even better on there mustang. ?

We were looking at the galaxy but I just couldn’t get comfortable no mater.

But I could in the titanium  X that wasn’t on the scheme. ?

id missed out by a few days.

The kuga I couldn’t get on with it just seemed too cluttered to me for the driver and passenger. But I understand why you went for it.

Normally with the twiggy there is only us two in the car so I can slide the back seats and make the boot bigger if I needed.

Plus it came with a lot of extras that I would have ordered, also the comfort seats and the pan sunroof with blind and auto led cornering and main beam lights.

When my kids drive it it’s sticks etc in the garage, kiss FM on DAB and always comes back with no fuel.

The only sort of fault to date was the left hand led self cornering light says it’s not working? When it clearly is?

Apart from that all good and I love the new Digital dash which can show nav etc if wanted. Plus the massages from the front seat.

But the galaxy, smax and kuga were the first cars we tried.

Oscarmax
                                  Participant

Oscarmax, If it wasn’t for most of our mileage being short runs around town, we’d have found the extra £600 for the 2 litre diesel. Getting those extras was a great result for you.

The AP was £1299 at the time

Participant

AP for the petrol Vignale was £2,395 when we ordered. It’s just gone down to £1,945

Because of course it has.

Trev
                                      Participant

Excellent review there Confusicated, thank you for sharing.

I do like the exterior of the Kuga, but not a fan of the interior – I agree with you that the spec should be better as standard for being the top range.

We must meet in a car park sometime and have a sound off… your Sony vs my Bose LOL

I love my Harman Kardon system …. twelve speakers with two subwoofers. I listen to a lot of rock music with good levels of base!

Trev
                                          Participant

You up for a car park meet as well then Pops?

We’ll show the young ‘uns how it’s done lol

Participant

Trev

I agree re. the interior. The thing is, it has city stop, park assist, camera, sensors all round, excellent stereo etc., but missing a couple of things you’d expect at top of the range trim level.

Kuga wasn’t our first choice initially. It had to be once we realized how few cars on the scheme have an 82cm tailgate aperture.

I suspect your Bose would win – I’ve heard the system.

Trev
                                              Participant

I’ve always considered the Vignale models as the luxury i couldn’t afford, which is why i was a bit taken back with the missing specs compared to what i have now in the CX-5. But as you say, we have to look at needs first, and it’s pleasing that you found a vehicle, a very nice looking one, to suit your requirements.

Participant

Trev

I test drove the CX-5 early on in the process and absolutely loved it. Then I measured the tailgate aperture.  :/

I wish I had found RIDC earlier in the process, invaluable with all dimensions, along with this forum.

https://www.ridc.org.uk/content/car-search

Participant

Update on mpg after driving it for over 2,000 miles.

Anonymous

Wish I was getting that on my titanium x 22mpg but we have only done 550 miles since june

Dave h

Nothing to do with kuga I went down torquay last week got this in my gtd https://forum.whichmobilitycar.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/hm_bbpui/88676/eqplc06lkicnvwtdkrdhdyx1ze16ilpm.jpg

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.