FreeFree Motability charger! How much have you actually paid?

• Creator
    Topic
  • #171188 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

On the face of it the home charger is free but in reality it appears you could have additional costs if your install is “non standard”

So let us know if you had additional costs and how much and for what, also let us know which companies you dealt with and how helpful they have been.

And as an aside have motability been of any use during the process?

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #171196 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

So far I have paid £160 (rounded up) for an isolation switch. I am due to be refunded from BP.

I need a cable run of 25m and the standard is 15m. So I am expecting a bill for that, we shall see.

I have to say, I feel like the vanguard here. Am I really the first ever?!

I should add that it will be a significant financial contribution from Motability, and a reason why I am doing it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DumfriesDik.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#171198 Reply
    Tim

We did have a very helpful preliminary step by step pinned to the forum at the top, that appears to have been removed. What gives?

#171199 Reply
    James

A friend who’s got an ev had his installed a few weeks ago with 35 meters of cable and hasn’t had a bill for the extra cable yet.

he’s been more than happy with the install

#171201 Reply
    Ian

No extra charge for me.
    Installation team did a good job.

#171202 Reply
    Daf

I found the service excellent. Was not asked to pay any extra and the installer ensured all of the wires were well hidden.

Touch wood, have had nothing to complain about so far, but I fully empathise with those that have had problems.

#171203 Reply
    Tim

@wmcforum What happened to the pre-install advice sticky?

#171207 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car
    #171208 Reply
    wmcforum
    Which Mobility Car
    #171209 Reply
    Tim

I think the one from Rico was stickied. Both look very useful.

#171417 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

So no horror stories so far, that’s good news. Will be interested to hear from Dumfriesdik if he gets charged for extra cabling.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#171444 Reply
    Sonny

We paid just over £200 for the mains fuse upgrade to 100A. We paid just under £100 for ALL tails to be upgraded. We had new smart meters put in (which have stopped working) and a isolator switch, which we tipped about £20 to the guys doing it. We also paid about £15 in new cabling because the guys who came to install the charger had drilled through a light switch cable, and I had to dash out and buy some replacement cable.

A hell of a lot of time chasing BP throughout the process, which probably ‘cost’ more in time that the aforementioned costs lol..

#171445 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Nobody should have any additional costs. Motability should be funding the lot out of their bloated cash reserves.

#171456 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Ive not paid anything so far. getting mine fitted on Tuesday supposedly, after being victorious in my appeal to the housing. Hoping it goes smoothly, but still not got car.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

#171457 Reply
    Tim

That’s great news Struth! Glad to read they saw sense in the end.

#171465 Reply
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

Dream on Elliot. If there is an upgrade to your property, why should Motability pay for that? It is reasonable to assume that the householder would ensure their electrics are fit for the 21 century.

Mazda CX5 is my DD
    VW ID3 Max on order 5 Nov 21

#171469 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Dream on Elliot. If there is an upgrade to your property, why should Motability pay for that? It is reasonable to assume that the householder would ensure their electrics are fit for the 21 century.

Unfortunate most working family households don’t have the means to keep their homes in the latest fashions after paying Income tax, Council tax, VAT on their cars, duty on their petrol and increases in National Insurance to support the benefit system.

Just saying. 😒

#171470 Reply
    Newfie
    Participant

For me the charger was fitted 2 weeks after ordering the car with Motability.

I had no charges at all. I was also given the option of either running it from the house consumer unit or run it straight from the meter cabinet via an outdoor small consumer unit which was no extra charge. I went for the latter.

It was a breeze compared to some nightmare stories that surround BP Pulse.

VW Tiguan SEL 2.0TDi 150 DSG 4Motion
    in White Silver, '68plate

Currently waiting for an VW ID.3 Tour 77 kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey

#171492 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

If you read a lot of the comments on here, quite a few people have no say in upgrading their electrics. My comment was that in these cases surely Motability could use some of their bloated profits to help. After all it’s the excessive contributions these people have made that has given Motability the money they hold. I own my own property and earn good money, so I wouldn’t expect anything from Motability but surely a grant could be given to help these people out.

#171510 Reply
    Colin

What if additional work is required for a safe installation?
    Motability Operations will cover the cost of any additional work required for a safe installation which can be completed by either bp pulse or Pod Point, including isolator switches, additional cabling etc.

If additional work is needed which cannot be completed by bp pulse or Pod Point, the customer will need to cover the costs.

#171603 Reply
    struth
    Participant

mine is now fitted and hasnt cost anything. some extra work was done by the fitter who was an ex marine, but no charge.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
    Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: FreeFree Motability charger! How much have you actually paid?
Your information: