Ford Kuga ST Line X

This topic contains 24 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Matt 4 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #39722 Reply

Neil F

Looking at the awd, petrol, auto any thoughts?

Has anyone got one?

Regards

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #39731 Reply

Kam

What engine size is it? I had the kuga 1.5 and the economy was appalling..

#39738 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

I was talking to a gentleman the other day, he asked my opinion my 2.0powershift Kuga diesel, he told me he had spoken to a lady who had the petrol 1.5 180bhp wad auto, apparently lovely car but awful on fuel.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#39739 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Sorry auto correct has over corrected my last post

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#39741 Reply

Neil F

It the 2.0 petrol

#39747 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

Petrol Kuga only comes in 1.5 no 2.0 option, I have driven a new 1.5 180 automatic petrol they do drive lovely, the petrol uses a conventional 6 speed transmission and torque converter, the diesel use a dual clutch powershift transmission.

#39748 Reply

Neil F

Apologies, it’s the 1.5 180 auto.

#39751 Reply

Glos Guy

Do Google reviews on this particular engine and gearbox combination – they are universally awful.

#39754 Reply

Nick

I was told.by Ford dealer to stay away from.them he says about 23mpg which was shocking real world

#39757 Reply

Paul

My son has a Kuga titanium x sport, { not on the scheme, it’s his own )  his is a 1.5 petrol and says unless he drives like ” driving miss Daisy ” the fuel consumption is shocking, when the turbo kicks in it drinks petrol, he loves the car but not the thirsty engine.

#39760 Reply

Kam

23mpg is about right. It is a great car but sadly let down with the fuel consumption. Even with trying it like miss daisy didnt make much difference.

#39919 Reply

Olpk

I have a 180bhp diesel. Ford quote 57mpg. I get 38mpg driving very carefully.

Problem is you can’t turn the 4wd off to save fuel. Its intelligent 4wd which kicks in when it wants and you’d be surprised how often its on as you can watch it on a screen in the car.

The petrol cars don’t have the torque for such a heavy car so have to be worked hard at times.

I’ve extended my motability lease because I can’t get the spec to replace my diesel. I tested the petrol and couldn’t hit 30mpg

#39928 Reply

tgo
    Participant

Just get the 1.5 150 manual petrol, its faster… and better on fuel 🙂

#39931 Reply

Glos Guy

I’m sure, but sadly not an option for those with more severe physical disabilities who are unable to drive anything other than an auto which, given the PIP criteria for higher level mobility is surely the majority of Motabilty drivers nowadays?

#39932 Reply

Oscarmax
    Participant

My mobility car Ford Kuga 2.0tdi 150bhp powershift, we get around 44/45 in the winter and about 47/48 in the warmer weather.

Towing our caravan we get around 32 mpg.

#84449 Reply

Andyb

I have just bought an ST Line X.

This is my 3rd Kuga as I have always been happy with the vehicle type.

This ST Line has Adaptive Cruise Braking. When the cruise control is selected, your vehicle monitors the distance between a vehicle in front and if the front vehicle is travelling slower, your vehicle automatically applies your brakes and slows down to avoid running into back of it.

My questions is: Do your vehicle brake lights come on when the slowing down.

At times the brakes do apply quite harshly.

An example for my concern was today, when I was in a residential 40mph limit with cruise control selected and the adaptive braking engaged. A motorcyclist was following very close, when a vehicle in front of me slowed down quite quickly to enter his premises. The brakes did apply quite sharply, when normally I would have not applied my brakes.  Fortunately the motorcyclist avoided me, but he was clearly ‘shocked’ as he gave me a rather rude gesture. Did my brake lights come on when the brakes automatically apply? On my way home I was travelling at 70mph and cars were slowing down to 55mph, displaying brake lights. Again the system worked and my car reduced speed from 70mph to 55mph. Did the cars behind get a warning of the reduction in speed?

#84452 Reply

Philjb

Andy

If the car applies the brake the brake lights will come on. If the car just decelerates with engine braking they don’t come on.

Im not sure about the Ford system but vag cars can control the distance you want to maintain.

Fine when your not in any hurry.

But if you leave too big a gap, cars pull in between and your car keeps slowing down to keep the gap. On a busy motorway this can be frustrating.

#84454 Reply

Philjb

I had an s max 2.0 diesel auto and it would only do 37mpg max, driving the same style in our vw 2.0 diesel auto will do over 50mpg.

Really noticeable how many more times we had to fill up.

The 1.5 petrol auto in such a big car I’d expect low 20’s mpg.

#84460 Reply

Andyb

Thank you Philjb.

I would hope that the brake lights did come on, but I am still not 100% convinced. Are the brake lights controlled via the ECU, or a footbrake switch?

The distance gap can be selected. Your absolutely correct commenting on leaving a large gap, those that do ‘cut in’, apply the brakes quite harshly.

I have asked more than one person at the Ford dealership whether the lights come on and the do not know. They are going to contact Fords and ask the question.

I am trying not to become paranoid about this, but will not be happy until I physically see them come on when the system cuts in.

The next thing I will do is mount a camera in the rear light cluster, and get my wife to check. She will love that. Yeah right!!!

#84469 Reply

Bandit

Looked at the 1.5 AWD myself (briefly) as a replacement for the 2.0 Tdi 180 AWD  that’s due to finish, mainly because AP was attractive. But decided even with the reduced mileage we’d b doing over this next lease the petrol mpg just wasn’t good enough. Plus ultimately, I just didn’t want the same car again.

Can’t fault the diesel 180 AWD Auto over the last three years though. Pretty much 40mpg average over the three years, no faults and coped fine with snow etc.

I’ll miss the opening part of the power tailgate, but not the constantly having to stop helpful passengers from just yanking it shut! And I’ll miss the heated screen. The Sharan that might one day go to build and replace it has neither unfortunately.

#84471 Reply

Andyb

It’s me AGAIN!!!!!

AKA Sado.

I have just rigged up a camera using Duck tape to the outside of the light cluster.

The brake lights do come on when the Adaptive Cruise system cuts in sharply. They do not illuminate when the deceleration is gradual.

So to conclude, I am satisfied that there is a sudden braking warning, but the gap it creates, invites other drivers to cut in. Will I use the system? I don’t think so. I have managed to maintain a good/safe distance for the past 40 + years of driving.

#84494 Reply

Philjb

Andy same here there is only one time I use it and that’s generally stuck in traffic on the motorway or on a really relaxing long motorway journey.

Most of the time you get better fuel economy without it.

As I said if you leave a big gap, thinking it’s safer, you spend the whole trip braking as people pull into the gap and your car falls further and further back.

The times I use it I set it too the smallest gap, but you still get some plonkers, usually bmw or Audi drivers who pull into the gap, to turn off the motorway at the last minute.

#95135 Reply

Andyb

Well, it has been 4 months since getting my ST Kuga and so far I am very pleased. There is a ‘however’. I have now disabled the Adaptive Cruise Control. Enough is enough. I have had so many near accidents with the system on. The final straw was on a windy day when some debris was blown in my path and applied the brakes without warning. The dash went bright red and flashed warning me of an immanent impact.  What is interesting, my insurance renewal advice came through this week. I was previously asked if I had the adaptive cruise control and said yes. Today I called them and asked how much more it would be if I didn’t have it enabled. The new quotation was £14 cheaper!!! Hmmm.

#95200 Reply

Abercol
    Participant

It was something that concerned me – reading of the issues  with both adaptive cruise and auto emergency braking, so I am happy enough that my S-Max 2.0 180 diesel auto has neither.

As for fuel, after 15 months car is at just under 30k and the average is 43mpg. 44/45 in summer, 41/42 winter. Driven the same as always  – not like Miss Daisy.

#95493 Reply

Matt

My last car was the 2.0 Titanium X AWD 108PS Powershift Kuga, and although I loved the car for comfort and useability the fuel consumption was horrendous I was lucky if I got 35Mpg on a motorway run local driving was 30Mpg.

Its fuel consumption was the sole reason I didnt go with another Kuga.

I can report though that my new Toyota C-HR Hybrid is a very nice car especially at 58mpg local driving 🙂

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: Ford Kuga ST Line X

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: