Ford Kuga ST Line X Edition

• Creator
    Topic
  • #135912 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Just collected today all contactless collection. Very happy with first impressions.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #137406 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

That is fantastic HoneyMonster. Thank you.

Sounds like you are sorted then Comfortablynumb! Pleased that I remembered that little nugget and was able to point you in HoneyMonsters direction! Have to say that the Kuga ST Line X remains on my shortlist. My wife wants us to move away from diesel (and this is the only diesel on our list) but she likes 4WD and the only other car on our short list with 4WD is the BMW X1 which she doesn’t like 🙄 The Ford is great value at £2,695 for the 190PS version and all I would probably add is the £400 pack that gives you the full spec headlights, auto high beam and head up display, which is a bargain. The only problem for us might be that you can’t get an upgrade to full leather seats and we will have to see how my wife finds getting in as she has to sit on the side of the seat and pivot around, which is easier with leather. HoneyMonster – any more feedback on the car? Are you happy with the performance and refinement and how’s mpg looking? I’m probably getting old, but I much prefer that set up for the heating controls (in your photo) than these ruddy touch screen things that are a nightmare to use when you are driving!

You would think so Glos Guy but now that I’m happy with all the toys on the ST Line X I have turned my attention back to engines and power trains available and I’m now deciding over those. I do not want nor need a diesel. I am not really sure if a 1.5 Ecoboost 150ps is enough for a big vehicle. The 2.5 Duratec 190ps petrol/electric hybrid isn’t available on Motability (probably too much AP anyway). The 2.5 Duratec 225ps plug in electric/petrol is probably still on fire somewhere.

So lots more research to be done.

#137414 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Same sort of dilemma here Comfortablynumb. We’ve had diesels for years and enjoy their torque and economy, but we are retired now and do a lot less miles. Also, my wife thinks we should move away from diesels now. Something to do with saving the planet 😉 I share your concerns about the small petrol engines in big SUV’s that are now the vogue. I quite fancy a car that can run on electric sometimes but also has a petrol engine so that we are never stuck looking for somewhere to charge the thing (can’t recall what they are called as there are so many names depending on the differences), as I think we are still decades away from having the infrastructure where all electric cars are practical, but many of them seem to have CVT gearboxes (which aren’t great) and only 2WD (which isn’t a showstopper, but we prefer 4WD). You can get this set up in the Kuga (albeit 2WD) but reviews are mixed.

#137419 Reply
    sif

There’s a shockingly long list of faults for the Kuga Phev. Lots and lots of threads on forums and many people returning their cars under trade descriptions Act. It doesn’t help when Ford tell you under no circumstances to charge the car or use it as a Phev, instead issuing petrol coupons. The problem is that the initial faults have been difficult to rectify, contaminated batteries and Covid has meant the solutions have been deferred. I note the MG HS Phev is newly on the scheme. It’s so new there’s not much info about it that comes from independent sources.

I cannot understand why manufacturers cannot offer more options. Mitsu don’t fit sunroof to the Phev because they explode. Audi think electric seats are only for top of the range Q3 which isn’t on motability. Seat don’t do sunroofs or elec tailgates. 3 years is a long time to live with something that isn’t really what you want.

The great strength of motability is the high mileages allowed otherwise leasing the ordinary way, or buying something about a year old becomes much more attractive. It’s also a pain that cars come and go as if it was the local store running flash sales. For Gods sake can’t motability sign availability contracts that ensure vehicles come on and stay on at least for a year. Otherwise its just a lottery

#137420 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

There’s a shockingly long list of faults for the Kuga Phev. Lots and lots of threads on forums and many people returning their cars under trade descriptions Act. It doesn’t help when Ford tell you under no circumstances to charge the car or use it as a Phev, instead issuing petrol coupons. The problem is that the initial faults have been difficult to rectify, contaminated batteries and Covid has meant the solutions have been deferred. I note the MG HS Phev is newly on the scheme. It’s so new there’s not much info about it that comes from independent sources. I cannot understand why manufacturers cannot offer more options. Mitsu don’t fit sunroof to the Phev because they explode. Audi think electric seats are only for top of the range Q3 which isn’t on motability. Seat don’t do sunroofs or elec tailgates. 3 years is a long time to live with something that isn’t really what you want. The great strength of motability is the high mileages allowed otherwise leasing the ordinary way, or buying something about a year old becomes much more attractive. It’s also a pain that cars come and go as if it was the local store running flash sales. For Gods sake can’t motability sign availability contracts that ensure vehicles come on and stay on at least for a year. Otherwise its just a lottery

Well said that man.

#137421 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Same sort of dilemma here Comfortablynumb. We’ve had diesels for years and enjoy their torque and economy, but we are retired now and do a lot less miles. Also, my wife thinks we should move away from diesels now. Something to do with saving the planet 😉 I share your concerns about the small petrol engines in big SUV’s that are now the vogue. I quite fancy a car that can run on electric sometimes but also has a petrol engine so that we are never stuck looking for somewhere to charge the thing (can’t recall what they are called as there are so many names depending on the differences), as I think we are still decades away from having the infrastructure where all electric cars are practical, but many of them seem to have CVT gearboxes (which aren’t great) and only 2WD (which isn’t a showstopper, but we prefer 4WD). You can get this set up in the Kuga (albeit 2WD) but reviews are mixed.

With regards to the engines. I have the 1.0L Ecoboost Hybrid 125ps in my Focus (kerbweight 1344kg) and I really love it for the driving I do, 90% short local town trips with no motorways. So I reckon the Kuga 1.5L Ecoboost 150ps (kerbweight 1564kgs) would technically kgs/ps provide the same driving experience. If I could find some good reviews on that Kuga engine I would probably pull the trigger.

#137422 Reply
    Speedy James

I posted this on the Skoda Enyaj thread as well  but just for info.

With some sadness I have cancelled my order for the Ford Kuga hybrid today. It was ordered back in August and Ford unfortunately still cannot yet provide an anticipated delivery date.

I am waiting for an NHS wheelchair assessment to change electric wheelchair now as well because time has moved on.

I expect I will be waiting and hoping for the Skoda or it will be back to the MG ZS EV with the seats down to enable the hoist and chair fit all being well.

#137423 Reply
    Shaun

@GlosGuy have you considered the Honda CR-V? Comes in all wheel drive and is an eCVT, much like the kuga if I remember correctly

#137429 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@GlosGuy have you considered the Honda CR-V? Comes in all wheel drive and is an eCVT, much like the kuga if I remember correctly

Hi Shaun. Yes, I have considered it. I don’t like the look of it, but would compromise on that if the car was right in all other respects (I really don’t like the look of the Volvo XC40 either, but still have that on my shortlist). Sadly, the reviews of the CR-V aren’t great. Because we can’t get out and even look at cars at present, let alone test drive them, I have gone through the reviews of 5 car magazines / websites (What Car, Top Gear, Car Wow, Auto Express and Autocar) and added up their combined scores. Out of a maximum possible total of 35 points (two score marks out of ten and the rest out of 5), the 8 cars on my shortlist score as follows (worst to best);

Honda CR-V 23.5

Toyota RAV4 26.0

Ford Kuga 26.5

Audi Q3 + BMW X1 both 27.5

VW Tiguan 28.5

BMW 3 Series Touring 29.5

Volvo XC40 31.0

I appreciate that it’s only a guide, but we have a VW Tiguan at present which we could extend the lease on and although I’m not a massive fan of it, I certainly don’t want to change it for something that might be a step backwards! The only one that I really fancy is the BMW 3 Series Touring, but it may not be practical for my wife as it’s not an SUV (and I like the higher driving position as well as I have some back issues). Sadly, like a few of us, I am going around in circles with this as all the cars have definite pros and cons and being honest none of them are cars that I would chose if I was in the private market (which I still haven’t ruled out considering).

#137438 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Hi Shaun. Yes, I have considered it. I don’t like the look of it, but would compromise on that if the car was right in all other respects (I really don’t like the look of the Volvo XC40 either, but still have that on my shortlist). Sadly, the reviews of the CR-V aren’t great. Because we can’t get out and even look at cars at present, let alone test drive them, I have gone through the reviews of 5 car magazines / websites (What Car, Top Gear, Car Wow, Auto Express and Autocar) and added up their combined scores. Out of a maximum possible total of 35 points (two score marks out of ten and the rest out of 5), the 8 cars on my shortlist score as follows (worst to best); Honda CR-V 23.5 Toyota RAV4 26.0 Ford Kuga 26.5 Audi Q3 + BMW X1 both 27.5 VW Tiguan 28.5 BMW 3 Series Touring 29.5 Volvo XC40 31.0 I appreciate that it’s only a guide, but we have a VW Tiguan at present which we could extend the lease on and although I’m not a massive fan of it, I certainly don’t want to change it for something that might be a step backwards! The only one that I really fancy is the BMW 3 Series Touring, but it may not be practical for my wife as it’s not an SUV (and I like the higher driving position as well as I have some back issues). Sadly, like a few of us, I am going around in circles with this as all the cars have definite pros and cons and being honest none of them are cars that I would chose if I was in the private market (which I still haven’t ruled out considering).

Very interesting Glos Guy but the results for me are not surprising. The Ford, Audi, BMW and VW are all in the same ball park give or take. I would really be interested in seeing a comparison of the AP’s for all these models when they are spec’d to the same degree as an ST Line X Kuga with comparable engines and drive trains.

I’m willing to bet that most won’t touch the Kuga for value for money for anyone like me with a self imposed AP budget limit of £2k.

#137442 Reply
    Shaun

@comfortablynumb I think the only thing that may come close in terms of equipment/price is the seat ateca which seem like surprisingly good value

#137444 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I’ve done that as well Comfortablynumb 😂

I have a list of all the equipment that our next car MUST have, so if not standard have to be added, and equipment that I would ideally like that I will add if the cost isn’t prohibitive. Best value and best equipped is the Tiguan Elegance 1.5TSi petrol, as it has pretty much everything the Kuga has as standard plus it also has as standard almost everything that you pay extra for in the technology and driver assistance packs. However it’s a 1.5 litre and 2WD. There is a chance that the 2.0TSi 4WD Tiguan Elegance may come on the scheme when released at £2,499 and, if it does, that will be very difficult to argue against. Based on my personal requirements, total price of AP and options would be;

Ford Kuga £3,095 (that’s without the driver assistance pack at £1k, some of which is standard kit on the others. No option for full leather trim is a big negative for me, especially when it’s standard on a number of the others)

Honda CR-V £3,999 (no options possible, but doesn’t have premium sound system, adaptive headlights, head up display and the power tailgate doesn’t have hands free feature)

RAV4 – £4,630 (doesn’t have adaptive headlights, head up display or – I think – digital dashboard)

Audi Q3 – £3,544 (without adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, high beam assist, keyless access, head up display)

BMW X1 – £5,749 (that’s with quite a few options, but still excludes adaptive cruise and keyless access)

VW Tiguan – £2,989 (only things missing would be leather and head up display. The latter not a big deal but the former a real shame as it’s a very expensive option)

BMW 3 Series Touring – £4,089 (without keyless access, high beam assist and head up display)

Volvo XC40 – £4,024 (without adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, head up display)

So you can see what I was meaning when I said that none of them are prefect and all have pros and cons!

#137456 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

@comfortablynumb I think the only thing that may come close in terms of equipment/price is the seat ateca which seem like surprisingly good value

@Shaun
    Funny you should mention that. I watched a showroom video of the Ateca for the 1st time last night when browsing through Youtube and it really caught my eye I must say.

#137457 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

I’ve done that as well Comfortablynumb 😂 I have a list of all the equipment that our next car MUST have, so if not standard have to be added, and equipment that I would ideally like that I will add if the cost isn’t prohibitive. Best value and best equipped is the Tiguan Elegance 1.5TSi petrol, as it has pretty much everything the Kuga has as standard plus it also has as standard almost everything that you pay extra for in the technology and driver assistance packs. However it’s a 1.5 litre and 2WD. There is a chance that the 2.0TSi 4WD Tiguan Elegance may come on the scheme when released at £2,499 and, if it does, that will be very difficult to argue against. Based on my personal requirements, total price of AP and options would be; Ford Kuga £3,095 (that’s without the driver assistance pack at £1k, some of which is standard kit on the others. No option for full leather trim is a big negative for me, especially when it’s standard on a number of the others) Honda CR-V £3,999 (no options possible, but doesn’t have premium sound system, adaptive headlights, head up display and the power tailgate doesn’t have hands free feature) RAV4 – £4,630 (doesn’t have adaptive headlights, head up display or – I think – digital dashboard) Audi Q3 – £3,544 (without adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, high beam assist, keyless access, head up display) BMW X1 – £5,749 (that’s with quite a few options, but still excludes adaptive cruise and keyless access) VW Tiguan – £2,989 (only things missing would be leather and head up display. The latter not a big deal but the former a real shame as it’s a very expensive option) BMW 3 Series Touring – £4,089 (without keyless access, high beam assist and head up display) Volvo XC40 – £4,024 (without adaptive cruise, adaptive headlights, head up display) So you can see what I was meaning when I said that none of them are prefect and all have pros and cons!

Great post as usual @Glos Guy

Another factor to me would be the fact of any completely new versions of these models being released in say the next year. Tiguan and X1 especially starting to look a bit dated imho.

#137462 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The Tiguan won’t be updated for at least 3 years as it’s only just had a face lift. The Elegance version looks very, well, elegant! The thing  that bugs me with the Tiguan Elegance is the horrible looking grey plastic skirts along the sides. You have to have the R-Line to lose them (or get a grey one, then they become invisible), but the new R-Line loses a lot of kit compared to the Elegance and is no longer the best version. Keep in mind that VW is a slightly more premium brand than Ford and the build quality will undoubtedly be better. Also, much as I like Fords, their tech always feels slightly ‘last generation’ compared to the German brands. Take the digital dashboards as an example. The look and functionality in the Tiguan’s version is much better and more modern looking than the Ford equivalent, IMO. The Audi version is better still and the best is the BMW one, but that’s a very expensive option on the X1.

The X1 is definitely due a replacement and now looks dated on the inside compared to the newer BMW models. Personally, I still think that, on the outside, it’s the best looking of all the cars on my shortlist, but I believe an all new model is due out within the next year or so, which would be mid lease. That might bug me.

In terms of ‘kit count’, the budget brands will always come out best, but they aren’t for everyone. Although those who like them will say differently, there is a noticeable difference in quality and refinement, but for people who aren’t particularly into cars or have never experienced the premium brands, they are very difficult to argue against. One that might be worth looking out for is the brand new Hyundai Tucson which is now on the road and due to enter the Motability scheme very soon. Very well equipped, very modern inside and out. A bit smaller than the Kuga and Motability usually only offer the weaker engine versions, but might be worth a look.

I suppose that all of the above does reinforce the view that the Kuga is very good value. Ford isn’t a premium brand, but neither is it a budget brand. It’s bang in the middle. It’s bigger than most of the small SUV’s that we are allowed and you can still get a reasonably powerful engine, coupled with 4WD. The X1 engine and transmission (20i) would be better, and it’s petrol (if you don’t need a diesel) and 4WD, and those who have them report mpg that is better than many diesel SUV’s, but to spec it to the same level as the Kuga ST Line X will cost a good few grand more, although it does have full leather as standard. Decisions, decisions 😂

#137482 Reply
    sif

It does seem to happen. A car comes on that is so well specced and such value its hard to ignore. The Kuga seems to be that car. If we, the consumers are seeing it, whats the odds next quarter it will be hiked in price, taken off, or available only at lower spec. A decision for 3 yrs is very difficult esp with the market due to the impact of EVs changing so rapidly.

#137530 Reply
    Shaun

@Honeymonster how are you finding that flat seat base so far? Has it gotten any comfort?

#137536 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Finding ok so far, longest journey has been about hour and a half, so will review after a longer trip once circumstances allow. Having the AWD it apparently has softer suspension than the other st line x variants which may help as well.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#138157 Reply
    ron brandreth

Seriously considering the AWD Kuga with the paint upgrade (£850) and tow bar fitted  (£650). Just wondering if anyone has got or tried for a discount on optional extras ,also, any idea on delivery times.

At present got the BMW  X1  18 S Line petrol which has been a brilliant car but slightly heavy on petrol and the AP for an AWD X Line has now gone up considerably

#138158 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Seriously considering the AWD Kuga with the paint upgrade (£850) and tow bar fitted (£650). Just wondering if anyone has got or tried for a discount on optional extras ,also, any idea on delivery times. At present got the BMW X1 18 S Line petrol which has been a brilliant car but slightly heavy on petrol and the AP for an AWD X Line has now gone up considerably

Hi Ron. I can’t answer your specific questions, but I presume that you are aware that the paint upgrade will only cost you £250, that being the difference in price between metallic (which is free of charge for Motability customers) and special paints?

#138160 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Seriously considering the AWD Kuga with the paint upgrade (£850) and tow bar fitted (£650). Just wondering if anyone has got or tried for a discount on optional extras ,also, any idea on delivery times. At present got the BMW X1 18 S Line petrol which has been a brilliant car but slightly heavy on petrol and the AP for an AWD X Line has now gone up considerably

When I was looking for a stock Kuga I was able to get them to agree to £150 off the Magnetic colour (£750 retail) but in the end went for a Solar Silver for earlier delivery.

Would be interested to hear if you’ve ever had a test drive in the 2.0 Auto AWD? I’ve a 1.5 ecoboost stock car ordered but would prefer an auto although don’t really need a diesel.

#138162 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

The discount i got from my dealer, was them giving me a tank of fuel. Which was far better than arnold shark on previous motors. Happy so far with my AWD Kuga

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#138167 Reply
    Paul D

In the last 6’years I’ve had 2.0 diesel 150 and 1.5 petrol 150 titanium X . The petrol was by far the better drive .

Was going to change again to the new Kuga and after a run in it and the Seat Ateca I’m going with the Ateca .

#138172 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

In the last 6’years I’ve had 2.0 diesel 150 and 1.5 petrol 150 titanium X . The petrol was by far the better drive . Was going to change again to the new Kuga and after a run in it and the Seat Ateca I’m going with the Ateca .

Hi Paul D. Can I ask why the Ateca over the Kuga for you?

Thanks.

#138178 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Comfortablynumb- Not wishing to interfere in your choice, but I note that you said that you would have preferred an auto. My best mate (not disabled) decided to save a few quid on one of his previous cars (private purchase) and he got a manual. Every time I went in that car with him during the 3 or 4 years he had it, he told me he regretted not getting an auto (which he has now reverted to). The irony is he’s a multi millionaire, but he’s not into cars at all and begrudges spending too much on them 😂 I sense you might be wavering a bit regarding your choice, so just thought I’d throw this in before you are beyond the point of no return!

#138187 Reply
    Paul D

Hi mate . I was going to get the 1.5 St line x and was about to order when I read a few reviews on the Ateca. So went and test drove both .

The Ateca was an absolute joy to drive . It handled more like a Ford Focus than a suv .
    So after the test run I ordered a 1.5 tsi 150 FR Sport…….

The Kuga is still a good suv but for me the Ateca is a more involving drive !

cheers Paul

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 86 total)
Reply To: Ford Kuga ST Line X Edition
Your information: