Ford Kuga ST Line X Edition

• Creator
    Topic
  • #135912 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Just collected today all contactless collection. Very happy with first impressions.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #136046 Reply
    Confusicated
    Participant

Honey Monster… thanks. I thought it looked like it swooped down at the back. *sigh*

Current Motability car: Ford Kuga Vignale (2019-old shape) 1.5 petrol auto AWD. AP £2,395 + £199 for 4-way 80kg hoist.

Previous Motability cars:
    2013-16 Ford Focus estate petrol auto. AP £95. No adaptations.
    2016-19 Vauxhal Zafira 1.4T petrol SE Auto. AP £795 inc. basic hoist.

#136051 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Comfortablynumb. The Tarraco was in my wifes name. When she passed, they where unable to swap it from her PIP to my War Pension Mobility. So I had to go through the hassle of returning, ordering new vehicle. Of course the model Tarraco i had was no longer available. So that is why a six month old car was returned. We changed one car at 10 months when my wifes condition deteriorate. They where fantastic I think as long as not a habit, they wouldn’t have a problem. But a quick call and worst they can say is sorry no.

Sorry to hear of your circumstances for early change of car. I didn’t mean to pry.

Good to hear that Motability may be amenable.

#136055 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Honey Monster, that looks great. Congrats on what should be a fine choice. Will follow with interest any further reviews/updates you make. I myself got a Focus ST Line X four months ago and although I think the Focus is a great wee car, I have committed the cardinal sin of not enough research to see if it really suits my mobility needs. A current relapse with my rheumatoid arthritis has confirmed I made the wrong choice of car. Something like the Kuga with a higher seat position and auto should have been my priority. Not sure if I would have the gall to ask Motability for a change after only four months. Can I ask why you changed the Tarraco after 6 months? On a lighter note, would you please confirm if the Kuga has a proper sounding horn? In all my days of driving I don’t think I have heard a more feeble sound from the Focus horn…like something from a mini in the 60’s lol Cheers

I echo HoneyMonsters comments and would advise you to call Motability and explain your situation. Motability are excellent about things like this. We were mid way through a lease when my wife became concerned that her legs were weakening and I called Motability asking if she could be assessed for hand controls and , if deemed necessary, have them installed on our car. They were as good as gold and when my wife was tested and deemed to need hand controls they let us order a brand new car, even though we were happy to keep the existing one. Motability Operations make a sizeable profit on every single car leased and are sitting on millions of pounds of profits that in my view should be used in circumstances such as yours. We all make mistakes with car purchases but when you are struggling with disabilities you shouldn’t have to put up with it for 3 years. My only advice would be to lean more heavily on the fact that your condition has deteriorated and how that has affected your ability to access and drive the car, rather than you feel that you might have made a bad choice. Good luck.

Thanks Glos Guy for your thoughts and suggestions. Makes me feel less of a muppet.

I certainly will contact Motability in due course to put my case to them. Nothing ventured and all that.

#136262 Reply
    Shaun

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@Honeymonster how do you find the st line suspension. Is it as firm as all the car reviewers make out?</p>

#136264 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

I believe on the awd 2.0 diesel  version it has same suspension as other models. Found  the article i read, from whatcar article. ” ST-Line trim comes with a stiffer sports suspension setup – except if you order the 2.0 Ecoblue 190 engine. ”

That is model i have with that engine Ok havent done many miles yet but had over an hour each way to hospital and back and I didn’t notice any harshness, That was on full range of roads from Dual to B roads so it tested all.

If nitpicking seat base is hard but that should bed in with time. That is only very slight criticism i can find at moment.

https://www.whatcar.com/ford/kuga/4×4/review/n57/on-the-road

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#136275 Reply
    MickC

@HoneyMonster its hard to tell from the photo’s of the interior but does the steering wheel have shift paddles + and – for the auto box,and how have you found the 8 speed is it smooth at crawling speeds.

#136276 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

@HoneyMonster its hard to tell from the photo’s of the interior but does the steering wheel have shift paddles + and – for the auto box,and how have you found the 8 speed is it smooth at crawling speeds.

Does anyone actually use those paddle shift things in an auto? I have to say I find them a ruddy nuisance. They can foul your hands when the wheel is returning to centre and on more than one occasion I have triggered them unintentionally. I get an auto because I don’t want to select gears manually. I flick into Sport now and again for overtaking (our Tiguan has some lag on acceleration – never needed to do that in my previous BMW’s) but other than that it’s standard auto all the way. Perhaps I am becoming a dinosaur? I love all the modern tech in cars nowadays, but just don’t get these paddle shift things 😂

#136304 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Yes it has the flappy paddles and manual mode on mine. I find the box is better than the one that was in my Tarraco which i found I needed sport mode above 30mph and normal around town. Also getting readings above 50 mpg which i never got with same driving style in Tarraco. Once i fill up will do the maths and see how accurate its trip computer is.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#136320 Reply
    MickC

@HoneyMonster  cheers.

#136333 Reply
    rox
    Participant

The flappy paddles are useful in an auto, My golf did not have them and sometimes you need to use engine braking and it mean’s you don’t have to move the stick to manual gear mode is great in snow rather than breaking you can change down gears to slowdown.

Also my current car is a honda civic sport and you can only get the revs high when you use the paddles and boy does the car shift like a rocket then.. I have had the issue with lag on most modern auto’s as the gearbox always trys to keep the revs as low as possible and either you can kick down or put you foot down more on the gas but for me thats an issue so the paddles are great. If i need a sudden boost i use the paddle to kickdown. Also the thottle responce is faster when in sport mode which also means not having to press the gas peddle down as much as in normal mode or eco that’s painfull indeed. very rarely use it if i am driving.

#136869 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Comfortablynumb. The Tarraco was in my wifes name. When she passed, they where unable to swap it from her PIP to my War Pension Mobility. So I had to go through the hassle of returning, ordering new vehicle. Of course the model Tarraco i had was no longer available. So that is why a six month old car was returned. We changed one car at 10 months when my wifes condition deteriorate. They where fantastic I think as long as not a habit, they wouldn’t have a problem. But a quick call and worst they can say is sorry no.

Hi @HoneyMonster and @Glos Guy. Just thought I would update you on my situation ref early contract  termination. Delighted to say that after contacting Motability yesterday they have agreed to cancel the current agreement and let me change to another more suitable vehicle.

I had actually just logged onto Motability website to check something else and wasn’t even considering ringing them at the time but up popped the live chat icon and before I could blink I was connected to an advisor. I was then just expecting her to tell me to ring customer services but lo and behold after about twenty minutes of chat the whole thing was sorted.

I will have to pay £50 for the cancellation fee, have up to 6 months to sign for a new vehicle and will get pro rata for the AP and GCB. Really happy with that although it is going to be a right grind trying to organise anything with dealers for some time.

Anyway, thanks for your encouraging words.

#136875 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Hi Comfortablynumb. I’m absolutely delighted to hear that Motability have agreed to allow you to change your vehicle. As I said when offering my original advice, having to cope with a disability is challenging enough, without being saddled with an unsuitable car for three years. I recall that when we had to change our car early we were given a pro rata refund of the AP but not the GCB (as far as I can recall), so they must have improved that aspect. Another good example of how this forum can be invaluable when we all share our experiences.

I agree that it’s going to be a real challenge to select a new car at present. We can order from the end of March but I can see us extending the lease, unless we opt for a newer version of our current car. There is no way that I would order a new car without a decent test drive (and that’s a few hours, not 20 minutes). I need to check access for my wife and her wheelchair and I always reset the fuel computer when I pick up the car so that I can see what the fuel economy is like with my style of driving. I also like to test the cars on the motorway, twisty roads and in traffic, all of which takes time. Luckily we have a massive garage, so I can fit any two cars in it with ease, but if I had a normal sized garage I would want to drive it home to check that as well! It is so true what they say about buying new cars – choose in haste and repent at leisure! The other reason that we might delay is because there is nothing available on the scheme at present that particularly excites us. We have a short list of half a dozen but none are perfect!

#136877 Reply
    HoneyMonster
    Participant

Comfortablynumb, that is brilliant result. There are some comfy cars out there it is just finding the one that works for you.

Cars On Motability
    Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
    Vauxhall Antara
    Skoda Superb Estate
    Seat Alhambra
    Seat Tarraco
    Ford Kuga

#136880 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Hi Comfortablynumb. I’m absolutely delighted to hear that Motability have agreed to allow you to change your vehicle. As I said when offering my original advice, having to cope with a disability is challenging enough, without being saddled with an unsuitable car for three years. I recall that when we had to change our car early we were given a pro rata refund of the AP but not the GCB (as far as I can recall), so they must have improved that aspect. Another good example of how this forum can be invaluable when we all share our experiences. I agree that it’s going to be a real challenge to select a new car at present. We can order from the end of March but I can see us extending the lease, unless we opt for a newer version of our current car. There is no way that I would order a new car without a decent test drive (and that’s a few hours, not 20 minutes). I need to check access for my wife and her wheelchair and I always reset the fuel computer when I pick up the car so that I can see what the fuel economy is like with my style of driving. I also like to test the cars on the motorway, twisty roads and in traffic, all of which takes time. Luckily we have a massive garage, so I can fit any two cars in it with ease, but if I had a normal sized garage I would want to drive it home to check that as well! It is so true what they say about buying new cars – choose in haste and repent at leisure! The other reason that we might delay is because there is nothing available on the scheme at present that particularly excites us. We have a short list of half a dozen but none are perfect!

Cheers Glos Guy.

The pro rata for GCB is dependent on reason for cancellation so isn’t yet confirmed I qualify. Would only be a few beer tokens anyway.

This is what the advisor sent me on the live chat:

Claire: CANCELLATION CONDITIONS:

Conditions:

– You need to have at least 12 months of your mobility allowance remaining to be able to order another vehicle.

– By ending your agreement early you will not be eligible for the full Good Condition Bonus (GCB) However, you may qualify for a partial GCB depending on the reason for your cancellation.

– Please ensure you test drive your next car and that your new car is higher up than your current car. Also make sure you are happy with the vehicle before placing your next application.

– Any extras you may have paid for on your vehicle are non refundable.

– You will receive a pro rata refund of the Advance Payment (AP) you paid towards your vehicle after it has been returned.

– If you have any outstanding debt this would need to be addressed before a new application can be made (for example speeding or parking tickets).

– We would ask that you please return the vehicle with both sets of keys and the manual.

– If you have a personalised number plate that you wish to retain, please let us know when you are able to pay the £80 retention fee to do this.

#136884 Reply
    comfortablynumb
    Participant

Comfortablynumb, that is brilliant result. There are some comfy cars out there it is just finding the one that works for you.

Thanks @HoneyMonster

It is going to be a real challenge as I’m going to have to go the SUV route for the higher seating position. Never had an SUV in my life…in actual fact I don’t think I’ve ever sat in one lol

Time for me to drop the boy racer facade and realise I need comfort and practicality above all else.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
Reply To: Ford Kuga ST Line X Edition
Your information: