Fogstar Energy 30kWh 48V Rack Battery Bundle £6,000

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

Battery prices have been predicted to fall over the past years but I couldn’t believe the price of this home battery. It is almost half the price of the battery I was looking at (givenergy 15.5 all in one).

Theres  virtually no info on this battery and there are a few omissions compared to the givenergy but the price is really interesting.

In my situation this, on its own, would pay for itself in about six/seven years maybe sooner depending on future electricity prices.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 9 replies - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Brydo
      Participant

3000 watts from my existing solar and 2500 from my new solar.

As far as I’m aware the 3kw array needs to be on a separate inverter from my new array.

The plan is to sell all my solar to the grid and fill my battery from the grid at cheap times.

Brydo
        Participant

Received from fogstar this morning:-

If you were to fit a charger capable of charging two batteries to 10kwh in this 4 hour window, they would be fine as if you parallel two batteries, the max charge/discharge will double.

The cheaper of the two would be the one I would recommend as the set-up is much easier. The 15kwh bundle will require more time to install as this is made up of 3 x 5kwh batteries. Some people opt for this as you can increase the power in smaller amounts over time, instead of having to increase by 15kwh with each battery, you can just increase it by 5kwh if needed.

Kind Regards
          Lyndsey

kezo
          Participant

Without getting too technical and talking about lossed or absorption charge voltage.

10kWh charge into each battery is 208Ah (kWh / battery voltage x 1000) or (10/48 x 1000)

Lets round this off to 200A and divide it by 4 hours (200 / 4 = 50)

This would equate to a AC charger with an output of 48V 50A.

This is basic maths in its simplis’t form taking everything was equal, with what comes out of the charger goes into the battery without losses.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by kezo.
            Brydo
            Participant

@kezo I don’t want to baffle you with my knowledge……………… so I won’t ? but can you get a charger/hybrid inverter?

kezo
              Participant

??

Hybrid inverter with Force Charge Mode, will allow off peak charging. Whether that is the best way depends on what the battery charging power is compared to a standalone AC charger and a hybrid inverter to do the rest.

An PWM inverter will be about 85% efficient and a MPPT inverter about 95%.

Rich44
                Participant

Rules on battery installs was recently changed so that loft installs are no longer allowed. Apparently in the event of a fire they’re worried about the immense weight collapsing on people and crashing thru the ceiling and making matters worse.

That was what I heard anyway I might be mistaken and apologies if people already knew this

Oscarmax
                  Participant

I read something the other day on the Matin Lewis site, apparently they cannot be installed in a bedroom by a doorway etc, they are recommending installation in an outbuilding, garage or outdoors under cover. Our is mounted inside a cupboard.

kezo
                    Participant

PAS 63100:2024 Recommendations 

The British Standards Institute recently released the PAS 63100:2024, which outlines that solar batteries should not be installed in voids, roof spaces, or lofts. However, it’s essential to understand that this PAS is not a regulation but can be considered best practice.

Until the new PAS becomes an official British Standard, it remains a recommendation

Official Regulations currently:

Official regulations state, solar batteries can be installed in lofts as long as specific conditions are met, which require a fire and smoke alarm are present, with adequate lighting and  Adequate lighting and accessible entry points are ensured. Adequate ventillation is also required to prevent heat build up.

The MCS, will discuss the new PAS in a meeting scheduled for July 2024!

That said the shear weight of these batteries could mean they could fall through the loft without any mechanical fixings, fixing them to the wall, which is seen as best practice. Where possible I prefer them to be outside or in an outbuilding.

Interesting read

https://solarenergyuk.org/more-regulation-coming-to-battery-energy-storage/

Rich44
                      Participant

Wasn’t that long ago companies were being twitchy about adding the weight of flooring to the loft for putting additional weight in the loft that’s nothing vs putting batteries up there lol.

Can’t imagine the extreme thermal cycling would do them much good either scorching hot in summer freezing cold in winter, well unless you insulate the roof that is

Viewing 9 replies - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.