Fogstar Energy 30kWh 48V Rack Battery Bundle £6,000

• Creator
    Topic
    Brydo
    Participant

Battery prices have been predicted to fall over the past years but I couldn’t believe the price of this home battery. It is almost half the price of the battery I was looking at (givenergy 15.5 all in one).

Theres  virtually no info on this battery and there are a few omissions compared to the givenergy but the price is really interesting.

In my situation this, on its own, would pay for itself in about six/seven years maybe sooner depending on future electricity prices.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
      Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DumfriesDik
      Participant

Very interesting thread. I have recently received a solar/battery setup.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that Givenergy integrates with Octopus which may be of interest to some??

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Brydo
        Participant

@DumfriesDik Yes I am aware of this and I think they are the only battery manufacturer, at this time, that has this status. To be fair it is a big plus in favour of Givenergy as letting Octopus Energy deal with charge and discharge times is a major attraction for me.

How are you finding your system?

kezo
          Participant

@Kezo the one thing the givenegy does have in its favour is the Gateway. Ad far as I can make out its the Gateway that is the brains of the op and the all in one is just connected to it. The Gateway allows the house to continue to run even in a energy blackout. Also in the future the Givenenergy EV charger will be upgraded to V2L and “work seamlessly withe Gateway”

What the Gateway does, can easily be done on every other system such as @Oscarmax system using switch controller board!

Brydo
            Participant

@kezo that’s good news, I was going to ask if the inverter could do that but I assume it’s just a dumb piece of kit that just converts DC to AC?

I might be doing electricians a missservice by suggesting the installation is a one-day job when I have little knowledge of what’s involved. Could you shed some light on what’s actually involved in an installation?

My own situation is that the battery would be installed in my attached garage. The main fuse board is about 5 metres away from where the battery would be. There is electricity in the garage already but I assume that’s neither here nor there with regard to the installation. There is access underneath the floor of the house so getting a cable from the fuse board to the battery would be straightforward

Brydo
              Participant

@oscarmax you noted earlier “mine charges at 3.7/3.8 ish kWh so approximately 15 kWh” So over the four hours a “max” of 15 kWh can be fed into the battery, this would leave me with 15kwh of spare capacity in the battery and would screw up my calcs for pay back period as i was hoping to fill the battery to 30kwh each night on the cheap rate and sell 20kwh back to the grid during the day leaving 10kwh to run the house. Also if I’m charging  my hybrid at the same time and running an ASHP does that further reduce my battery input or is the 3.5kwh input controlled by the battery as in that’s as fast as it can charge?

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Brydo.
                • This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Brydo.

Oscarmax
                Participant

Mine can charge the battery up at 3.7/8 and the PHEV 6.6 kWh at the same time, just over 10 kWh, it may be possible the inverter/batteries could charge at a higher rate, Kezo the man to ask.

Have you looked at Octopus Cosy it designed for heat pumps you have 2 charging period in the same day.

kezo
                  Participant

The All in One as with most battery installs can be installed within a day (half day installing/half day configuring & commissioning)  Add an extra half/full day if the installion is not straight forward.

Of course if your having solar installed at the same time it will take longer 🙂

Brydo
                    Participant

@kezo/oscarmax the solar/ASHP side of the equation is on hold just now as I’ve not had a quote less than £21,000 ish and I’ve recently found out I am required to pay that upfront before getting the grants and interest-free loans some six to eight weeks later.

Just applied for a zero interest on purchases credit card so the current plan is to get the battery and invertor myself on the credit card, 21 months to pay, sorted 🤞

kezo
                      Participant

Just applied for a zero interest on purchases credit card so the current plan is to get the battery and invertor myself on the credit card, 21 months to pay, sorted

Whils’t this seems like good idea and is on the supply cost basis, there are also pitfalls that may out weigh any positives.

If it is faulty you will have to arrange replacemen, with the risk of paying for the installers time on the premises upto determing the unit is faulty.

If the installer warranties the install and something went wrong with the unit 6-12 months down the line, you would probably have source a replacement part by doing a warranty claim and the installer could charge a fee for diagnosing the fault and fitting the replacement part, something that may have been otherwise included by the installer.

Something for you to think about.

DumfriesDik
                        Participant

Just looking at the quote and chewing the cud. £10k for 13 solar panels and 2 x 2.6kWh batteries.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Oscarmax
                          Participant

@kezo/oscarmax the solar/ASHP side of the equation is on hold just now as I’ve not had a quote less than £21,000 ish and I’ve recently found out I am required to pay that upfront before getting the grants and interest-free loans some six to eight weeks later. Just applied for a zero interest on purchases credit card so the current plan is to get the battery and invertor myself on the credit card, 21 months to pay, sorted 🤞

And if you have a change in political power at the top ?

Kezo has raised a good point, a fair majority of warranty  claims are due to poor installation

Brydo
                            Participant

Just looking at the quote and chewing the cud. £10k for 13 solar panels and 2 x 2.6kWh batteries.

Which type of solar panels are you looking at and is your solar array all on the one face? You can get really decent 400+ watt panels for well under £100 per panel

Looking at your battery size I suggest it’s a bit on the small side. The average house hold uses 10kwh per day so I would suggest battery storage of at least that size to get more bang for your buck and larger if you can afford it so you can charge at 9p per kwh and sell it back for 15p per kwh, this in itself will give you an absoluteminimum of £110 per year and sold back at the right time 4pm-7pm then much more.

Fogstar do a 15kwh battery for £3,000 including VAT so £2,500

So to buy a 15kwh battery £2500 with 13 Jinko Tiger Neo 430W N-Type 54 Cell £72.50 per panel and 13 Enphase IQ8 MC-72-M-INT Microinverter @£106 you are looking at a total big item cost of £5,000. You may of course need scaffold which can add a fair bit.

Brydo
                              Participant

@kezo, @oscarmax you make a good point however I will use the “I’ve purchased a Fogstar 30kwh battery how much will you charge to fit it” line initially to see how much they charge to fit it plus the other bits and bobs then decide if it’s worth the risk.

Brydo
                                Participant

Found this online.

What is the Battery C‐Rate?
                                  A battery’s C rating is the rate at which a battery can be fully charged or discharged. For example, charging at a C-rate of 1C means that the battery is charged from 0 – 100% or discharged from 100 – 0% in one hour.

A C-rate higher than 1C means a faster charge or discharge, for example, a 2C rate is twice as fast (30 minutes to full charge or discharge). Likewise, a lower C-rate means a slower charge or discharge, as an example, a C-rate of 0.25 would mean a 4-hour charge or discharge.

The formula is:
                                  T = Time
                                  Cr = C-Rate

T = 1 / Cr (to view in hours), or T = 60 min / Cr (to view in minutes). For example:

C-Rate.     Time
                                  2C.            30 minutes

1C.              1 hour

0.5C.          2 hours

0.25C.        4 hours

DumfriesDik
                                  Participant

Which type of solar panels are you looking at and is your solar array all on the one face?

Solar Panels: *HIB* Longi HiMo5 400W All Black Mono

Yes, I thought the batteries were on the small side. BUT I did contact Givenergy and they are happy for any size battery to be added at a later date. The small 2.6’s are just over a grand each, so I would be able to expand as funds allow.

I am still considering it, it isn’t a done deal yet.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

kezo
                                    Participant

The C rate refers ratio of current (A) to the battery’s capacity (Ah)

“C” rate: Battery capacity Ah/charging current A

Pulse rate can double C rate for a short time

The Inverter wattage and Battery Management System can also have an effect – if the inverter isn’t large enough for the system for example.

Brydo
                                      Participant

@kezo This electricity lark is a minefield 🥹

Oscarmax
                                        Participant

Foster sold out in the first week apparently there is now a waiting list for the next assignment.

Brydo
                                          Participant

I spoke to them yesterday and they are saying May delivery. They did say they would not sell me a battery but I’m working on that.

Brydo
                                            Participant

I slid ask them how quickly that battery would fill and they said 10kwh in four hours which I was disappointed with.

Brydo
                                              Participant

This is one for Kezo 🤞 as I noted above Fogstar are saying I would only get 10kwh into the battery every four hours. If I got two 15kwh batteries rather than the 30kwh would each take 10kwh over the the four hours?

On their website they have two 15kwh batteries, one is circa £3000 and one is £2500. I’m not sure what the difference is except one is a rack system. Would that account for the £500 difference?

kezo
                                                Participant

Fogstar 15.5kWh

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
                                                  Manufacturer: Fogstar Energy
                                                  EVE Cell Model: LF304
                                                  Cell Assembly: 16S1P
                                                  Cycle Life: 3500 cycles (rated at drawing 200A per cycle)
                                                  BMS: PACE 200A BMS
                                                  Maximum Discharge: 200A
                                                  Balancer: 2A JK Active Balancer
                                                  Capacity: 304Ah
                                                  Weight: 140kg
                                                  Dimensions: 500 (w) x 230 (l) x 830 (h)
                                                  Nominal Voltage: 51.2V
                                                  Pre-loaded Inverter Protocols: Victron, Sofar, Pylontech, Growatt, Solis, Goodwe.

Fogstar 15kWh Rack battery

Spec for each battery 3 in tol for 15kW

Manufacturer: Fogstar Energy
                                                  Model: ESR51.2V 5.12KWH
                                                  EVE Cell Model: LF100LA
                                                  Cell Assembly: 16S1P
                                                  Cycle Life: 4000 Cycles at 1C to 80%. (After 4000 cycles, you will still have a battery that can deliver 80% of the stated capacity) 5.12Kwh is fully useable.
                                                  BMS: PACE 100A BMS
                                                  Maximum Discharge: 100A per unit (300A for a 15kWh system)
                                                  Balance Current: 0.5A
                                                  Capacity: 100Ah
                                                  Weight: 45.2kg
                                                  Nominal Voltage: 51.2V
                                                  Rack Unit Size: 3.5U
                                                  Size: 155mm x 450mm x 440mm
                                                  Pre-loaded Inverter Protocols: Victron, Sofar, Pylontech, Growatt, Solis, Goodwe.

Both batteries have 8yr warranty 15yr life. Both have Grade A battery cells and Pace gold standard BMS.

The main differencies are:

They have slightly different Cells LF304 vs LF100A in the rack battery (They are both listed as having the same cell pack assenbly, (which maybe a slight error on fogstars part, as each battery pack has different dimensions) They both have Grade A batteries.

The maximum discharge is 200A on the 15.5kW and 100A per unit in the 15kW rack battery (300A in total)

The 15.5kW batter has 304Ah capacity the 15kW rack battery 300Ah, which is nothing.

Cycle life is more on the 15kW Rack battery, than the 15.5kW

The cheaper 15.5kWh pack link:

https://www.evlithium.com/LiFePO4-Battery/eve-lf304-lifepo4-battery-cell.html

kezo
                                                  Participant

For comparison, the specs for each rack battery (3 in total for 15kW)

https://www.evlithium.com/LiFePO4-Battery/eve-lf100la-100ah-battery.html

Brydo
                                                    Participant

@kezo can’t deny it I don’t understand most of it 😂 but reading between the lines it appears there are a few differences whether or not they are enough to justify the £500 difference, I don’t know. Having said that the wife always says “when you’re not sure go for the dearer one”.

With regard to the question about buying two 15 kWh batteries rather than one 30kwh, in relation to how much electricity you can put into the batteries in a four-hour period, what’s your thoughts on that?

kezo
                                                      Participant

What is your solar wattage?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 58 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.