Fobbing-Off Motability Customers with “old” Diesels

• Creator
    Topic
  • #167498 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

I have been searching Motability for “automatic” and “4 wheel drive only” over the past year, so I am quite familiar with the cars coming up – new ones and others that suddenly disappear.

I have noticed that the Skoda Kodiaq Diesel and the Seat Ateca Diesels have now suddenly made an appearance (remember I am searching for “Autos” and “AWD”).  I think it is quite obvious why – ie: the move away from diesels and towards EV’s and petrol PHEV’s and HEV’s etc – and so very blatantly they now choose to put these cars on motability.  They where not interested in doing so a year ago but now the climate is changing they dump them on Motability customers to lease them.

Shame on Skoda and Seat.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #167500 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

How very cynical of a car manufacturer to want sell cars. Whatever next?

#167502 Reply
    Warkman

All manufacturers/Motability provide cars that are either slow selling, or very new to get them seen on the road for one quarter.

why would any manufacturer want to give a big discount to Motability on cars that are selling well?

#167505 Reply
    Paul

Rather they dump them on the scheme than elsewhere,more choice is a benefit.

#167507 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I never understand why people think cars are ‘dumped’ onto motability. I think it’s a very negative way of looking at things and there’s no real need for it.
    I don’t personally want an AWD diesel SUV but I bet there’s plenty out there who do so for them this can’t be bad news.
    I would hate to think anyone who was considering one of the mentioned cars was made to feel as though they were only driving a car because nobody else wanted it or that it was a bad car because in almost all cases it just isn’t true.

Finally, are we saying that all diesels should be removed immediately to just leave hybrids and electric? Or did I read the post wrong?

#167511 Reply
    Mike

I would have loved a Kodiaq diesel but the AP was double the 1.5 petrol, which  I couldn’t justify as we do less than 12,000 miles a year.  I think a diesel engine is better in these big SUV’s.

#167515 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

The choice available now is more limited compared to say 2 or 3 years ago, however the range is good. Many company car drivers, including friends and family have a choice of just one manufacturer in some cases.

#167523 Reply
    struth
    Participant

i dont see a 4*4 diesel as a car thats there to get rid of … lots of motability customers would be interested in one.

at moment motabilty customers cant be overly choosey. there is a real shortage of new cars

#167526 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

I do see it as “dumping” cars, (after 5 cars on the motability scheme this is what I see it as) at least some manufacturers have the “honesty” to reduce the AP accordingly and not use covid or “shortages” as an excuse to ask £3k+ AP’s to get rid of diesel engines, probably many of which will be stock cars, sat in a car park somewhere – at least reduce the AP accordingly!

#167528 Reply
    DBtruth
    Participant

I could understand them wanting to ‘get rid’ of Diesel engines if this was the year 2029 but it’s not. There’s still plenty life in Diesel engines yet. I’d also like to think they’d have reduced production of diesels by then so that they don’t end up in a situation where they’re trying to ‘get rid’

#167531 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

@DBtruth – possibly, maybe I am being cynical 🙂  I have benefitted from cars being “dumped” but by this I am referring to cars that had been on motability for some time and a newer model was coming out, hence the AP was drastically reduced to “get rid” of old stock/models.

I remember Mitsubishi doing the same with the Outlander PHEV – but the PHEV was on motability for some time and when Mitsubishi announced their departure from Europe and the UK Markets it was an odds-on bet that the PHEV on motability would be reduced – and it was, and it was a great lease for some on the scheme at a really good low AP.

I am specifically talking about the two models I mentioned which have not been on motability all of this year yet suddenly appear on the scheme.  Again, I am not suggesting that the cars are bad, or that diesel is bad, I just think that they are offloading diesels as their prioirty and focus is elsewhere, in which case the AP’s should be considerably lower.  Personally, I think it is unethical to do such a thing as motability is a charity and I think a lot of these cars will be stock cars, already produced, and possibly manufactured some time ago and so I would recommend anyone interested in the two models I mention clarify whether they are “stock” cars and find out their manufacture date as this could at least give you some negotiation room on the very high AP.

#167536 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Motability is a charity, Motability Operations is a company negotiating terms with car manufacturers to provide lease cars to qualifying individuals on behalf of the charity. Skoda and Seat are car manufacturers supplying cars to Motability Operations under the negotiated terms. Where on earth do ethics come in?

#167538 Reply
    John Morris

You just can’t win anymore …..99% on here complaining that there are not enough cars of certain types and then there is you.  Very strange post. The more options the better obviously.

#167540 Reply
    Rene
    Participant

Even if i gave this argument the benefit of the doubt, it entirely falls apart at the cars you listed.

If you’d listed cars that actually have an EV or PHEV option, we could humour that argument. Neither Ateca nor Kodiaq do. On the other hand, both manufacturers offer their PHEVs to the scheme – the Leon eTSI/ehybrid and both the Octavia and Superb TSI iV certainly are on the scheme.

The Leon is pretty cheap on top.

I certainly do think that certain manufacturers “dump” cars onto the scheme – but that’s cars, not the particular engine choice or spec they offer.

Current: SEAT Ateca Xcellence Lux 1.5 TSI DSG MY19
    On Order: VW Golf GTE PHEV DSG MY22

#167541 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Mrs Glos Guy was keen that we moved away from a diesel this time. Something about the environment? I was wary, mostly due to the fantastic torque that you get with diesels, but our excellent petrol BMW X1 is returning better mpg than our previous diesel VW Tiguan and feels much quicker. Also it’s whisper quiet in comparison.

However, if BMW decide to ‘dump’ diesel X5’s in Motability’s direction, or Porsche joins the scheme to ‘dump’ diesel Macan’s, then I shall immediately find considerable fault in the X1 and contact Motability insisting that we are allowed to change it!

#167543 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

Charities are very much about ethics and morals.  With regards diesel cars – they are Dinosaurs and I think that many manufacturers will dump these types of engines on Motability and Motability will willingly accept them – which I do not think that they should due to the greater environmental concerns that we are now facing, in fact I would say that Motability should have a policy of scrapping all diesel cars on the scheme within 2 years – probably another unpopular opinion 🙂

#167548 Reply
    ajn

🙄 deleted post..

#167549 Reply
    struth
    Participant

Emissions Analytics has revealed that the latest Euro 6d-Temp diesel models emit, on average, 71% less particulates that petrol equivalents. New diesels also emit 18% less CO2 in real-world testing, according to early testing from Emissions Analytics.

says it all really.

#167564 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Emissions Analytics has revealed that the latest Euro 6d-Temp diesel models emit, on average, 71% less particulates that petrol equivalents. New diesels also emit 18% less CO2 in real-world testing, according to early testing from Emissions Analytics. says it all really.

That’s the problem “mud sticks” and diesel are the demon regardless of how clean they are.

Clueless politicians are the problem listening to clueless experts or lets say experts who gain from any particular legislation.

Had good laugh today at the local rag reporting that the burning of wooden logs in fireplaces in homes in inner city heavily populated areas are now causing more micro particulates than diesel cars and lorries.

#167566 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

And more people are stocking up on logs ready for the winter power cuts…

#167568 Reply
    struth
    Participant

if you use an eco stove/fire and less than 20% water content renewables hardwood logs then its very eco .. of course as london doesnt really allow dirty polluting  lorries etc in to inner ring then they wont be polluting so much either.

#167578 Reply
    ChrisK
    Participant

Struth there you see the problem I’m talking about, once the so-called “experts” get there teeth into wood burning stoves then wood will become the new demon of the hour no matter how clean they are and there is debate going on now about removing wood burning heating as a sustainable fuel, much the same is happening now with gas whereas 15 years ago we were getting government grants for installing gas boilers now there frowned upon.

Motability of course, getting back on topic, have to take what there given and its us who pay the price. I think the only time you see dumping on Motability is with discontinued models that are stock orders only though at this present time AP prices may be distorted.

#167581 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

Emissions Analytics has revealed that the latest Euro 6d-Temp diesel models emit, on average, 71% less particulates that petrol equivalents. New diesels also emit 18% less CO2 in real-world testing, according to early testing from Emissions Analytics. says it all really.

You should know the forum rules by now Struth. Never let the facts get in the way of a bit of populist bandwagon jumping 😉

#167583 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

I have no idea whether wood burners are eco friendly or not, but all I know is that one or two of our neighbours have them and we get a really strong stench from them outside our property during the winter months. It can be quite overpowering and can’t be healthy breathing that in.

#167672 Reply
    Olpk

It’s always happened. Nothing new.

Remember the Hyundai Santa’s Fe came on briefly before they changed to a new model.

I dont see it as “dumping”.

It can give us a chance at cars we sometimes couldn’t get.

#167682 Reply
    Glos Guy
    Participant

It’s always happened. Nothing new. Remember the Hyundai Santa’s Fe came on briefly before they changed to a new model. I dont see it as “dumping”. It can give us a chance at cars we sometimes couldn’t get.

That’s also how I see it Olpk. We have all been (rightly) criticising the poor choice at present, so any additions are most welcome. As you say, if using the scheme to offload end of line cars means that we can get cars that we wouldn’t otherwise then it’s a win win. Nobody has to chose one if they don’t appeal.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Fobbing-Off Motability Customers with “old” Diesels
Your information: