Finally Picked Up The New Car! WOW wow WOW

• Creator
    Topic
  • #116142 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Actually picked it up late monday afternoon, but Straight after picking it up, I had to take my eldest daughter home and that’s like a 150 miles round trip mainly on motorway. All i can say is wow..

I’ve been rather busy and it took a while for me to get the pics on to the pc to post them here.

The flies got the a good killing. It drives like a dream and when you hit 4ooo revs the vtec kicks in and that’s very very addictive.

Any concerns i had about the cvt are gone, smashed it honda. Most of the time i use the adaptive cruise and the lane keep assist is awesome to have on such journeys, but the powers there if needed all 182 bhp, All from a 1.5l turbo..

Hopefully my sons looking down from the brightest star and smiling.. This ones for you son.. Might not be so practical to get into, but it’s even better than the one we talked about getting next, not long after i got the golf back in 2017.

My first ever car was a honda an accord, my m8s called it the beast. Not got any pics of it but here’s one very similar.

The Obsidian blue pearl is a new colour for the civic my20 the slight refresh has really taken the civics looks to another level. Very happy..

The rear of this car is like marmite, personally i h8 marmite but loving the new look over the 2019.

Viewing 24 replies - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #116210 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I agree Rox, I wouldn’t want to modify it for more power either. 182bhp is more than enough for normal roads

Very true.. I’ve not had any points for along time and most of those have been when i had been working driving vans or trucks guess thats where the adaptive cruise control comes in!! Is way to easy to drive way to fast, which is great when you need it..

#116218 Reply
    Tharg

Thanks to all for running-in advice. BMW say do not exceed 4500 rpm or 100mph until you get to 1000 miles. Doubt that I would do that even if it WAS run-in! Remember “old days” when a new Morrie Minor was kept under 30mph for geological ages and didn’t even have a tacho!

Enjoy yourself, Rox

#116242 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Thanks to all for running-in advice. BMW say do not exceed 4500 rpm or 100mph until you get to 1000 miles. Doubt that I would do that even if it WAS run-in! Remember “old days” when a new Morrie Minor was kept under 30mph for geological ages and didn’t even have a tacho! Enjoy yourself, Rox

Yeah for sure, Over a ton and it’s a ban so if you do 101mph may as well make it a worthwhile experience he he he (as it maybe one’s last for a while) or one could just plan a trip to germany and hit the autobahn..

Not sure if you can do a track day in a MB car but you can use the autobahn..

#116265 Reply
    Tharg

Not much chance of doing an autobahn trip at moment. Wouldn’t want to do a track day either as they probably involve racing against others. Not my thing at all. Will confess to an autobahn moment some decades ago when, on 6 mile straight empty road early a.m. one’s Nissan 200sx showed 145 on clock – for a few seconds – before end of straight came in sight.

#116266 Reply
    NewYork1
    Participant

What about the Nurburgring? I think that’s technically a toll road, on days when open to the public.

Current car VW Touran SEL

#116272 Reply
    Tharg

Nurburgring’s too far and too fast. Would seriously like to find a site, probably old airfield, where I could go on a wet day to see just when it’ll all let go and how, if at all, I could get it back again. Prefer to find this out in controlled condition rather than on black ice on M25.

#116315 Reply
    Littledave

I hope you enjoy your new car. It’s definitely a marmite car, I think it’s one of the ugliest on the road. So many fussy fake vents and plastic inserts.

#116319 Reply
    Philjb
    Participant

If you race other cars on a track day you’ll find yourself black flagged and on your way home.

Most don’t even allow lap timing, so actually a track day is a lot safer then being let loose on an empty airfield.
    You’ll get instruction on safety and also safety marshals on hand should anything happen like going too fast and the car letting go.

#116327 Reply
    Tharg

Cheers, Philjb. Didn’t realise that track-day outings didn’t allow racing. Still a bit wary, though, of other vehicles on track at same time with everyone pushing envelope a bit. Will make enquiries anyway as I would like to be fully aware of safety aspects of new car.

#116329 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

I don’t want to be a killjoy, but I’m pretty sure the RSA insurance doesn’t include track days or testing the safety aspects of a car. 🤣😂 Never heard it called that before. Also, I wouldn’t have thought Motability would allow you to buy track insurance.
    The one thing I’d never contemplate doing in a lovely new car is put it on a track or test the limits of it’s handling. Or ragging the ar5e off it in boy racer terms!
    When I get a new car the first thing that comes to mind for me is polishing and protecting the paintwork.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#116345 Reply
    BigB

Rox,

I have a Civic the prestige model it has the same engine as yours but with a manual box. It is a fantastic driving car quick of the mark and really holds the road on twisty bits. Although the 0-60 is supposed to be 8.2 seconds in reality it is less, probably closer to 7.2. I read somewhere Honda deliberately understated the performance to maintain a bigger differential with the Type R. The car is a great drive on A & B roads and you can really nip along. My previous three cars were all SUVs and having gone back to a conventional car has brought the joy back to driving.

#116369 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I hope you enjoy your new car. It’s definitely a marmite car, I think it’s one of the ugliest on the road. So many fussy fake vents and plastic inserts.

I think what’s worse is that basic not painted trim around the wheel arches and door skirts so they look more suv like.. Some are getting huge like on the mazda cx30 that looks so cheap imo.. and fake exhausts lets not go there hehehe (leaf collectors) or oversized kidney grills, I think all car companies are at it these days in some way or form.

Personally i like the 1.5 vtec engine, the way it drives and sounds so that really is all that matters and to me it is a lot nicer looking that the old version X,  or the gen 8 and gen 9 civics, They was ugly, I’d never be seen in one of those, no way with the dropping front end but this one I like it..

#116378 Reply
    rox
    Participant

Rox, I have a Civic the prestige model it has the same engine as yours but with a manual box. It is a fantastic driving car quick of the mark and really holds the road on twisty bits. Although the 0-60 is supposed to be 8.2 seconds in reality it is less, probably closer to 7.2. I read somewhere Honda deliberately understated the performance to maintain a bigger differential with the Type R. The car is a great drive on A & B roads and you can really nip along. My previous three cars were all SUVs and having gone back to a conventional car has brought the joy back to driving.

I had the test drive in a prestige, not available in uk anymore though that one or even the sport plus now..

Think the exhaust adds a few more bhp maybe 4 more 182 which for a 1.5l is stunning imo..

I went over to the derbyshire dales yesterday and when you put it into sport mode and then use the paddles it is a different car altogether again OMG. The notes from the exhaust are a nice sound indeed.

The steering is awesome as well. super light, I didn’t floor it to much but was shocked  at how good the cvt really is.

I cannot do manual cars anymore but i bet the clutch is super light as well in the manual.

I was also driving suv’s and mpvs till my last car which was a golf and i enjoyed the lower down driving again.. Especally on a windy day or high speed bends. So decided to go with a car again.

The civic is ultra low and that is good for handling and actually the ride ain’t so bad either.. I think in america they’d call it a daily driver as opposeed to the type r which is a crazy car 320 bhp from a 2.ol as standard.. deffo has brought the joy back of driving hopefully that don’t mean points for speeding..

Not had anything so quick since i’ve had kids and before them i had a boredout 205 gti but now they bigger it’s time to enjoy life and have fun as you never know what’s around the corner..

#116390 Reply
    rox
    Participant

I don’t want to be a killjoy, but I’m pretty sure the RSA insurance doesn’t include track days or testing the safety aspects of a car. 🤣😂 Never heard it called that before. Also, I wouldn’t have thought Motability would allow you to buy track insurance. The one thing I’d never contemplate doing in a lovely new car is put it on a track or test the limits of it’s handling. Or ragging the ar5e off it in boy racer terms! When I get a new car the first thing that comes to mind for me is polishing and protecting the paintwork.

True i highly doubt any lease or hire car would be allowed on a track by the actual owners ( if they knew) and would cause problems.. Some have trackers fitted and are set to notify them if you go near one or go crazy speed in them.. My brother got a phone call, once in a hire car telling him to slow down.. he was doing over a ton he said..

I used to work for an engineering company years ago who made bespoke disks and pads and at the car shows we used to go to, some people would want to buy racing pads for driving on the road, which is illegal and stupid as they will in most cases not get to the right operating temperature, the same with standard brakes on a track, the brakes will get too hot and that will cause issues..

Maybe a track day experience a better option. I have done a few of those, one was at silverstone and on those there was no overtaking on corners or racing as such.. Worth it if you can get it discounted..

I can see you washing and polishing your pride and joy to a mm of the paints life hehe,  Me i don’t bother i take it to the car wash and get someone else to do it as i just cannot anymore.. My son used to do it?

As for boy racers, I like to see what the cars limits are within the scope of the law. but with speed limits getting lower and lower it’s getting harder and harder to do that within the law. Except for on christmas day he he. Then i might get out of 3rd gear before i have to lift off..

Alot of A-roads near me are now 50mph not 60mph anymore and now it’s about how quick can i get to that speed and then cruise along.. at 56mph. Which is less than the 56mph on the speedo..

#116392 Reply
    Saintsman

@rox

You sound like me, there’s nothing better than pootling through towns and villages at 30, once that national speed limit sign appears I’m in sport mode, then it’s flick over the gearstick to m/s and floor it.

#116399 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@rox You sound like me, there’s nothing better than pootling through towns and villages at 30, once that national speed limit sign appears I’m in sport mode, then it’s flick over the gearstick to m/s and floor it.

Yep i sure do.. only near me the A roads are all 50 mph now and most have speed cameras tracking you over a distance, so I need to drive to the dales, which just the otherside of the m1 from me.. for a joyful drive.

I drove up to chatsworth house yesterday and then around abit and then back home. Best drive i’ve had for many a year.. effortless

When i had the golf it had the slide the stick to the left option as you say for manual mode. The honda don’t it has the paddles but they work good enough and if you don’t change up or down it will do it automatically so you don’t wreck the engine.. When road conditions allow for it of course, pedal to the metal and often i don’t get out of 3rd gear.

Many years go when i had a 205 gti you could do 80 mph in 3rd easy in it..

I reckon they should increase the speed limits not be decrease them like they seem to be doing.. when it’s safe to do so of course.. speed imo don’t kill idiots speeding at the wrong times do imo.. or where they don’t know the roads.

I used to drive for a living and when they reduced all  the major roads around and into london to 50 mph from 70 mph that was 20 miles per hour i could not do anymore over say an 8 hour day that’s 160 miles a day less.. My boss was like how come you cannot do all the drops you could anymore. I was like the speed limits and pretty much every points i have  ever had has been when i was working driving a van..

#116446 Reply
    Tharg

“I’d never contemplate doing in a lovely new car is put it on a track or test the limits of it’s handling. Or ragging the ar5e off it in boy racer terms!”

I would never rag the bottom off a car and certainly not as a boy racer. But I do want to know what it feels like when things go wrong – and have a strategy to deal. Example: many years back I had the luck to drive a London Transport RT-class bus on the LT skidpan – and then write up the experience for a magazine. Having 7 tons of bus attached to your backside and whizzing around behind you was quite an experience! After the skiddy bit, and snaps, were done, the instructor took me round a few more times to show me “cadence braking” – this was pre-antilock days – which drivers are trained to use in emergency. A few days later I found myself on totally invisible black ice, going downhill with a brick wall at the end. Only doing about 25mph but without using what I had learned on skid pan I would have ended up with a very broke morrie Minor. Cadence braking stopped me in straight line. Point is, learning how to deal with, in this case, a skidding loss of control was not a “boy-racer” exercise.

Different cars lose control in different ways, so I’d like to find out how my present one does it so that I’m ready if it happens on road. A track day is not up my street at all bit I have discovered that there are a few skidpans which will instruct in one’s own car. May give it a go.

#116477 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@Tharg Most decent Modern cars hardly gets out of shape unless you do stuff erratically in them or the weather conditions are so bad they not effective. IMO There’s nothing wrong with and when safe to do so, turning off certain systems and keeping your skills in check of how to handle a car when stuff does happen.. Which most of the time is out of your control as it can be other driver’s actions that can cause one to have to take evasive action, and lots of times i have avoided things other’s just would’nt of (their view not mein).

We always learning everytime we drive.. everyday down the same bit of road is not the same and some people switch off as they think they know the road so well or don’t drive to the current conditions.

some seem to alway drive 10 mph below the speed limit no matter the conditions and then when they enter the 30 mph zone they do 10mph over. Which i find very strange indeed..

I used to find an empty gravel car park or a muddy field when i was younger, Always on private land and never on the actual road and not for a long while though as my back cannot take it anymore.. Growing up in north wales, i had lots of chances to do off road driving. Which is what i luv’d to do the most out of all the driving i have done over the years. Give’s you a great feeling for how they handle and you don’t have to be going crazy speeds to lose it either, your right about that. It’s just physics and i love the science behind it.. understanding how you intiate a car to enter a controlled slide is great info to have in your pocket.. Deffo not on the road though.. although when it snows it is useful around where i live to get about when the ploughs not been out for a bit and snows deeper..

#116490 Reply
    Georgie

There was one of these at the garage where I fuelled up this morning, though in red.  It looks even better ‘in the flesh’.  Absolutely stunning.

#116493 Reply
    rox
    Participant

There was one of these at the garage where I fuelled up this morning, though in red. It looks even better ‘in the flesh’. Absolutely stunning.

Reds the standard colour they come in and as of yet, I ain’t seen any of the newer my20’s on the road. I’ve only seen a few of the older ones about on my travels as well. Pretty rare. Yesterday some guy in a jeep stopped and asked me about it as i pulled up outside the house.. I must admit it looks stunning parked outside the house.. Compared to the golf that i had before..

#116508 Reply
    Tharg

Totally agree, Rox. Particularly re having dangerous situations thrust upon you. Another bit of advice from the bus instructor was “always assume that the other bloke IS out to kill you” – so constantly monitor your course for the escape tactic. Worked many times, successfully, for me: including an artic’s rear load door swinging open, I managed to ditch, sliding, into sidestreet. Damaged wheels but car still had roof and I still had head!

Wish I had a local area where I could try limits, as you did, but it’s all too neat down here. Really think the “let-go” point of individual car is important to know. They’re all different: my old Nissan 200sx gave plenty of warning and was perfectly controllable and happy going sideways; my original 1976 mini once had total brake failure on one side and just went, spun wildly. Had just enough control (handbrake) to ditch into set of railings and avoid parked cars and pedestrians.

#116511 Reply
    BionicRusty
    Participant

@Rox. I won’t be too far from where you grew up then. I’m pretty close to Rhyl.

🏎 I will be remembered for nothing but had great fun doing it 🏎

#116536 Reply
    Elliot
    Participant

Sounds like you drive like me @Saintsman.

I love using the paddle shift on my BMW in sport mode.

#116575 Reply
    rox
    Participant

@rox. I won’t be too far from where you grew up then. I’m pretty close to Rhyl.

It not to far from Bangor, especially with the new road although where my dad lives now llandrillo yn rhos real close to you.. not seen him for awhile? it’s complicated. I may go for a trip to N wales as I wanna show my daughters the sights and hit the mountain passes and a trip to down to blaenau ffestiniog. How i miss those places and roads on the doorstep.

Viewing 24 replies - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
Reply To: Finally Picked Up The New Car! WOW wow WOW
Your information: