Faster charging batteries nearing the market

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #140260 Reply
    Intranicity

Sounds like a great leap in technology, but 5 mins to compete with fossil fuel stations… only if they don’t have the supermarket instore!

#140262 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

But what will the working life of such cells be?  We know fast charging reduces the life of current EV batteries.

#140270 Reply
    fwippers
    Participant

If this technology is going to be available soon combined with a decent range in the 300’s or 400’s I think it would tick every box.  Of course there will still be some sceptics.

#140271 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Great article julie, thanks.

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe.
    Anything i post over three lines long please assume it is an article lol.

#140288 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

But what will the working life of such cells be? We know fast charging reduces the life of current EV batteries.

1000 cycles degradation detailed in those graphs, so about 82% capacity after charging from zero to 100% 1000 times, something you’d never do. Most BEVs get charged from 10-30% charge upto 80-90% on rapid chargers, the slower AC charging at home doesn’t heat up & degrade the batteries in the same way & the car slows the charge rate down to the 6 amps minimum 98-100% as it does its balance charge (where all the cells are brought upto the same SoC by supressing individual cell charge using the BMS (battery management system)).

N.B. Most lithium batteries go bad because of BMS faults & engineers underrating the BMS to save money, but in cars they usually try better because of the higher values of such large battery packs.

N.B. 1000 charges is about 1 per week for 20 years, 2 per week for 10 years, etc.

N.B. The easiest way to kill a lithium battery pack is to leave it at zero charge for a few months, it won’t revive again unless you take it all apart & gently shunt some power into each cell from spare charged cells, and you’ll not be doing that as it would take an age without dedicated equipment.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by gothitjulie.
    #140293 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Yes, gothitjulie, I know about current battery technology. I was asking about the proposed use of silicon anode cells.

#140296 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

If this technology is going to be available soon combined with a decent range in the 300’s or 400’s I think it would tick every box. Of course there will still be some sceptics.

I’d make a guess that those ranges & this battery tech will be in cars around 2025.

#140315 Reply
    Richardw
    Participant

Excellent news. More charging points and we should be good to go!

#140321 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Why would you make that guess, gothitjulie?  What do you base it on?

#140350 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Yes, gothitjulie, I know about current battery technology. I was asking about the proposed use of silicon anode cells.

From the article detailing the tests on the silicon anode cells:

“The cells tested by INL have completed 1,000 dynamic stress test (DST) cycles following the USABC three-hour charge protocol, and over 900 DST fast charge cycles using a 4C rate or 15-minute charging protocol under 100% depth of discharge (DOD). The high-rate capable cells can be charged to 80% of their capacity in 10 minutes and to 90% of their capacity in 15 minutes. Zenlabs says its silicon anode cells enable a vehicle with a 300-mile range, and a potential battery life of up to 300,000 miles.”

#140352 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Why would you make that guess, gothitjulie? What do you base it on?

Based on the company’s cars that are already 3-4 years ahead… Tesla, and the way that the rest are trying to play catch up.

#140371 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Ah, Elon Musk said it.

#140373 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

Ah, Elon Musk said it.

Well, here you go, & it’s OK to ask when that Tesla Roadster is coming on the scheme, but you already know what the reply will be:

https://www.edfenergy.com/for-home/energywise/electric-cars-longest-range

#140376 Reply
    Wigwam
    Participant

Well, I would, but MrsW wouldn’t be able to get in it.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: Faster charging batteries nearing the market
Your information: