Fancy an electrochromic glass roof-what is it?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar philjb 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #85732 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

Glass roofs on cars have evolved somewhat from the humble, retractable sunroof to the sleek and very stylish panoramic glass roof of the Tesla Model 3 and S electric sedans.

Michigan-based Rivian, which came out of stealth mode and wowed crowds last year with its all-electric ute (pickup) and SUV at the LA Auto Show, is taking it one step further.

According to comments made by the EV maker – which is yet to confirm a release date for its electric offerings, the all-electric R1S SUV will have an optional electrochromic glass roof.

Electro-what, I hear you say?

An electrochromic glass roof – otherwise known as “smart glass”, it can change its light transmissions properties when a small voltage is applied to the window, turning it from transparent to opaque.

Rivian electric SUV will have optional “electro-chromic” glass roof

The only person who got all his work done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #85741 Reply
    SaintsMan

Amazing how long things take to either get on the market or to find a useful purpose to create a market. I’m sure I remember a similar glass way back on Tomorrow’s World.

#85744 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I Think i remember that one saints man lol.

#85746 Reply
    Brydo
    Participant

I think it has been about for a while now and is used in some high end houses with large windows in toilets and shower rooms to blank out those pesky Paparazzi.

#85757 Reply
    philjb

They already fit them in high end cars, have done for years.

I think Mercedes calls it magic glass?

Its definitely not new.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Fancy an electrochromic glass roof-what is it?

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: