Facelifted Tucson Now on Motability – Better choice and no AP increase

• Creator
    Topic
    Glos Guy
    Participant

The 2024 facelifted Hyundai Tucson has joined the scheme today. There are some welcome additions, in that the self charging hybrid and PHEV variants have both joined the scheme in both top spec trims – Ultimate and N-Line S. AP’s remain at the lower prices that were introduced at the start of the quarter, which we thought had been for the outgoing model.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Glos Guy.
    Viewing 17 replies - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      kezo
      Participant

Thank you love the Tucson but not enough room in the back without sliding seats for my scooter 🥴

Wide scooter?

The back seats drop indvidually 40/20/40 if that helps.

JohntheLeg
        Participant

@Glos Guy. I’ve had my Tucson Phev Ultimate for approximately two and a half years, it’s been a comfortable and relaxing car to drive.

I do a regular roundtrip of 42 miles every Sunday.  I do the first 21 miles in Auto Mode  and the return trip in Ev Mode. The road on the trip is an A-Road with one long hill and various small hills. The regen gives me back approximately 3 miles. If I don’t use the Auto Mode on the first leg of the trip I am generally always 4 miles short on the return journey. My Tucson Phev has auto regen unlike the Facelifted version  which has regen settings.  Like @Kezo I also get approx 50 -55 Mpg on my long journeys to Scotland, London, Wales and the Lake District.

During the week my trips are only 20 – 25 miles. I always charge at home using my cheap electric tariff or from my solar and battery system.

Winter driving here in the East Riding hasn’t affected my EV Range very much,  I have been getting 30 miles EV Range. I use the heater at 19 – 20c, after 5 – 7 miles the car is warm enough and it can revert to Ev Mode.  If I want extra warmth like @Kezo mentions I use the Steering Wheel and Seat Heaters which are excellent for instant heat.  In the summer the Air Conditioned Seats are wonderful.

As @Kezo says you will only get the benefit of a Phev if you keep the battery topped up.

I’m due to change my Tucson Phev in the New Year and will probaly go for the facelifted Tucon Phev Ultimate  or NLine S.

I test drove a Facelifted Ultimate Phev on Friday and thought it was an excellent drive and the new interior features were great apart from them moving the various steering wheel buttons to the opposite side compared to my Tucson Phev.

Glos Guy
          Participant

Thanks @JohntheLeg That’s useful. I’m hoping that I like the Tucson when I have one on test next week, otherwise I’m a bit stuck. The only other options PHEV wise would be the Ford Kuga and the Mazda CX-60. I can’t get terribly excited about the former, and the latter is very expensive and the option packs that I’d want are no longer bundled with it 🙄

JohntheLeg
            Participant

@Glos Guy I hope the test drive in the Tucson goes well and you get sorted out.  I forgot to add earlier I like that they have returned to dials for changing the A/C temp settings.

kezo
              Participant
                Glos Guy
                Participant

@kezo Yes, just picked up on the addition of the new Tiguan. I did a paper exercise on this a few weeks ago, comparing it with the Tucson, as it was rumoured to be joining the scheme this month.

The Tucson is far better equipped and has a bigger boot (important for us). I prefer the exterior of the Tiguan, but the interior of the Tucson. Reviews of the new Tiguan report an unsettled ride, even with the petrol models. I would assume that the extra weight of the PHEV could make that even worse?

The comparable model to the £4,599 Tucson N Line S would be the higher powered R Line PHEV at £5,699. Although £1,100 more, the Tiguan would lose electric front seats (£2,120 on Tiguan), hands free tailgate (£905 on Tiguan), Premium Sound System (£1,420 on Tiguan), Adaptive Headlights (£1,530 on Tiguan). The Tiguan also doesn’t have Blind Spot Assist or Four Wheel Drive, both of which are standard on the Tucson. So the specification gap is big.

I suspect that the Tiguan fit and finish might be a bit better than the Tucson, but I prefer the Hyundai infotainment system. I am also reminding myself that I had a number of problems with our previous Tiguan and none of the VW dealers in our part of the world are any good. I think that we need to have a look though before ruling it out, especially if the Tucson test drive doesn’t tick every box.

kezo
                  Participant

@kezo Yes, just picked up on the addition of the new Tiguan. I did a paper exercise on this a few weeks ago, comparing it with the Tucson, as it was rumoured to be joining the scheme this month. The Tucson is far better equipped and has a bigger boot (important for us). I prefer the exterior of the Tiguan, but the interior of the Tucson. Reviews of the new Tiguan report an unsettled ride, even with the petrol models. I would assume that the extra weight of the PHEV could make that even worse? The comparable model to the £4,599 Tucson N Line S would be the higher powered R Line PHEV at £5,699. Although £1,100 more, the Tiguan would lose electric front seats (£2,120 on Tiguan), hands free tailgate (£905 on Tiguan), Premium Sound System (£1,420 on Tiguan), Adaptive Headlights (£1,530 on Tiguan). The Tiguan also doesn’t have Blind Spot Assist or Four Wheel Drive, both of which are standard on the Tucson. So the specification gap is big. I suspect that the Tiguan fit and finish might be a bit better than the Tucson, but I prefer the Hyundai infotainment system. I am also reminding myself that I had a number of problems with our previous Tiguan and none of the VW dealers in our part of the world are any good. I think that we need to have a look though before ruling it out, especially if the Tucson test drive doesn’t tick every box.

Indeed the Tucson is very good spec wise. The ventilated seats and tech was one of the main reasons for staying with Hyundai and its worlds apart from my previous one and has the benifit of real buttons.

When I viewed the Tiguan, I though it looked cheap inside, especially with the huge dose of piano black across the dash and a cockpit that resembled one from the Mokka and the rear hard plastic. I rember in the last decade or so where VW were sought after for their high quality interiors but VW seem to be going backwards, embracing PET materials to the extreme these days.  Ive also read the torque is capped at 250 on the e-hybrids.

Glos Guy
                    Participant

Interesting @kezo I’ve yet to inspect the new Tiguan personally, but having watched a few reviews the interior quality has certainly been highlighted as not being up to the VW standard of the past. We’ve had 4 previous Tiguans and the build quality and standard of fit and finish admittedly wasn’t to BMW standards, but was better than the other non-premium brands. Where they fell woefully short of the premium brands was engine refinement and economy, as well as the fact that none of the driver aids worked as well as on the BMW that I ran (privately) at the same time. However, that’s comparing VW to BMW. How they compare against Hyundai I have no idea.

Glos Guy
                      Participant

@kezo My long awaited extended test drive of the Tucson PHEV is now Monday into Tuesday (24 hours). Very impressed with my local Hyundai dealership (who I have bought 2 new cars from previously for one of my daughters) as they have just taken delivery of it and it’s being PDI’d on Monday and then given straight to me, so I’ll be driving it straight out of the box.

One quick question for you. The model I am testing is an Ultimate, which I know has the easy access system where the drivers seat and steering wheel move back automatically to allow for easier entry and exit, resetting again when you get back in. Is this feature (which isn’t listed in the detailed spec) purely on the Ultimate or does your N Line S have it as well? I am thinking that it might be linked to the drivers seat memory function, which is on the Ultimate but not on the N Line S.

Anything else that you’d suggest that I specifically test out, especially as I would be coming from a BMW? As you know, if I like the Tucson I am torn between the Ultimate (I like the moss grey leather interior, but dislike the grey plastic wheel arch and sill mouldings) and the N Line S (much prefer the painted arches and sills but not so keen on the black cloth interior). As I will have the car overnight I can charge it, which will be good (and a first for me 😂).

Participant

My sportage ive just got has easy access

Glos Guy
                          Participant

My sportage ive just got has easy access

That’s good Micky, but my question relates to a specific model of the Hyundai Tucson that @kezo has recently taken delivery of.

kezo
                            Participant

As if by magic, my post came out of moderation!

Please ignore 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 day, 11 hours ago by kezo.
                              kezo
                              Participant

@kezo My long awaited extended test drive of the Tucson PHEV is now Monday into Tuesday (24 hours). Very impressed with my local Hyundai dealership (who I have bought 2 new cars from previously for one of my daughters) as they have just taken delivery of it and it’s being PDI’d on Monday and then given straight to me, so I’ll be driving it straight out of the box. One quick question for you. The model I am testing is an Ultimate, which I know has the easy access system where the drivers seat and steering wheel move back automatically to allow for easier entry and exit, resetting again when you get back in. Is this feature (which isn’t listed in the detailed spec) purely on the Ultimate or does your N Line S have it as well? I am thinking that it might be linked to the drivers seat memory function, which is on the Ultimate but not on the N Line S. Anything else that you’d suggest that I specifically test out, especially as I would be coming from a BMW? As you know, if I like the Tucson I am torn between the Ultimate (I like the moss grey leather interior, but dislike the grey plastic wheel arch and sill mouldings) and the N Line S (much prefer the painted arches and sills but not so keen on the black cloth interior). As I will have the car overnight I can charge it, which will be good (and a first for me 😂).

Hope they charge it prior to letting you have it!

My previous Ultimate had easy access seats but not the steering wheel, which I believe is due to it being manual reach/rake rather than electric. I believe the 2024 Ultimate works the same along with 2 memory seat settings. However, although advised the new N line S having easy access seats, but not memory seats, I have not found the setting and if I’m honest, I don’t believe it has this function due to not having the the memory seat function!

The settings menu is pretty easy to understand and in safety settings you can turn many functions off or set to vibrate i.e Lane Keep, though I doubt you’ll be wanting to mess around with them too much. My advice is in safety settings and volume settings, to turn the warning volume down. This won’t silience every safety setting in particular Lane Keep Assist, Speed Limit Assist and Emergency Braking however it makes it more bareable. Lane Keep Assist can be turned off on the Steering wheel, so can Speed Limit assist by pressing the volume mute button for a few seconds, untill a notification appears across the top of the infotainment display. This will pretty much enable a hushed drive!

If your going to setting out the various semi automonous driving features lane keep will need to be on. Settings for various functions including turning off or set to vibrate can be found in section 7 of the user manual.

The granny charger is set to 6A and is better if you turn it up to 10A by pressing and holding the button on the charger untill the display flashes – keep pressing the button to cycle to 10A and press the button to set.

The passenger side has a grab handle to help mrs GG and using her hand in the tray in the dash may aid further.

The seats in mine are an alcantara material and more of a dark grey than black, the roof is also blackish. Would I have prefered leather my answer would be yes. However I had the Ultimate previous and fancied a change. Given these types of carstry to mimick an SUV, they all have either black plastic, gloss black or body coloted wheel arch trims. My honsest oppinionblack plastic doesn’t looks as bad as gloss black when starting to get dirty and Ive had both. Body coloured speaks for itself unless you have a dark or black car.

Leave the car in eco and automatic mode, unless your going from eco to sport to give it a blast. As with any automatic you can ease slightly of the accelerator to change up a gear or force ev driving for longer when battery rab low. Its really easy and comes natural after a while with phev’s.

Link is the manual where you can explore section 7 etc etc more in depth and get some insight. Its for the Kona ev but is near identical for the Tucson phev! Hyundai talks frequently about warning volume setting but there is only one master on both cars.

https://dmassets.hyundai.com/is/content/hyundaiautoever/Kona+SX2+EVpdf

Glos Guy
                                Participant

Thanks @kezo All very useful as always. I’m not sure that I understand the 6A / 10A thing. Is that safe to do with my problematic electrical system which has, at last, calmed down? 🤔😂

Ive asked them to make sure the car is charged, but I can charge it overnight if not. How long do you reckon it would take to recharge from say 20% on a 3 pin granny charger?

kezo
                                  Participant

Thanks @kezo All very useful as always. I’m not sure that I understand the 6A / 10A thing. Is that safe to do with my problematic electrical system which has, at last, calmed down? 🤔😂 Ive asked them to make sure the car is charged, but I can charge it overnight if not. How long do you reckon it would take to recharge from say 20% on a 3 pin granny charger?

Yes it will be safe at 10A however leaving it at 6A just takes longer to charge which is no biggy realy.

12% to full takes about 5-6rs on 10A, 6A closer to 8hrs. Commando socket 1.5 -2 hrs. Either way charges when a sleep or in the evening and stops once the charge level is reached (100%)

I normally charge mine late afternoon.

kezo
                                    Participant

Thanks @kezo All very useful as always. I’m not sure that I understand the 6A / 10A thing. Is that safe to do with my problematic electrical system which has, at last, calmed down? 🤔😂 Ive asked them to make sure the car is charged, but I can charge it overnight if not. How long do you reckon it would take to recharge from say 20% on a 3 pin granny charger?

Yes it will be safe at 10A however leaving it at 6A just takes longer to charge which is no biggy realy. 12% to full takes about 5-6rs on 10A, 6A closer to 8hrs. Commando socket 1.5 -2 hrs. Either way charges when a sleep or in the evening and stops once the charge level is reached (100%) I normally charge mine late afternoon.

I will edit my answer with a more accurate response:

If charging from 20% for easiness, you are topping the battery up by 80% or 11kw.

10A at circa 240V is a charging rate of approx 2.4kW. 11kw (80%) / 2.4kW (10A) = 4.5hrs to charge

If charging from 10% again for easiness, you are topping the battery up 90% o4 12.4kW.

Using thesame calculation 12.4kW (90%) /2.4kW (10A) = 5.1hrs to charge

kezo
                                      Participant

Came across this Hyundai video on how to set granny charger charge Amps. Max in UK is 10A!

The granny charger lives under the boot floor to the right, just behind the lift up section.

• This reply was modified 1 day, 3 hours ago by kezo.
                                      Viewing 17 replies - 76 through 92 (of 92 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.