Extending motability lease

• Creator
    Topic
  • #74373 Reply
    John

I’m sure I read on one of the threads that motability are allowing customers to extend their lease beyond the 3 year lease,can anyone please confirm if this is true??

thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #92857 Reply
    ian

I am also looking at extending our lease for a further 2 years in the hope that the scheme changes for the better. back in 2016 I asked Motability about lease extension and was advised each case is looked at individually not based just upon low mileage,  such as higher AP paid. I also noted that the contract I signed for the lease was for up to 60 months.  Although I have paid a high AP £2999, my concern is the high mileage we would have done 45k when the lease ends and the warranty. We cant really afford another high AP which is what we would have to pay to get a similar car, and not one we really want.

#120641 Reply
    Mike 700
    Participant

I really like the xc60, best car i`ve ever had, pity there is nothing close to it on the scheme but things can change.

Brydo,

Just looking through some older posts and came across this one from you-

I have had two XC60’s , both R design, geartronic, Etc Etc, as well as an XC70, XC90 and a V60, and I must agree, that the XC60 is the best car ,overall, that I have ever owned.

VW Tiguan SEL in Silver White.

#120642 Reply
    Brydo

Mike it’s brilliant, I asked motability if I could extend to six years, to help them out with COVID and obviously me as I want to keep it lol. They said no, unfortunately, although they went on to say we would have it as long as we need it if the delivery date goes into the sixth year.

I understand people liking a new car every three years but this is something that doesn’t bother me. If the car suits I am happy to keep it five years no problem.

#120652 Reply
    C2clo

We extended our contract on our XC60 for an extra two years in Oct 18 on the understanding we could change anytime within the two year extension. At the end of the first extension year (Oct 19) we decided to seek a replacement car. On talking to Motability we were put under quite a bit of pressure not to change it but to keep the car until the end of the extended lease. The question they kept asking was “why did you extend it for 2 years and only want to keep it for one”.

After lots of back and forward telephone conversations we gave in, but now I wish we hadn’t. We could have had a much more suitable car rather than the compromise we are now being forced to make as the car we would have chosen is no longer available on Motability.

#120654 Reply
    Brydo

C2clo that’s one of the major compromises with the scheme. No one knows, from day to day, what will be available.

We we’re looking to change to the xc40 diesel but it’s no longer available so back to the drawing board.

#120657 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

We extended our contract on our XC60 for an extra two years in Oct 18 on the understanding we could change anytime within the two year extension. At the end of the first extension year (Oct 19) we decided to seek a replacement car. On talking to Motability we were put under quite a bit of pressure not to change it but to keep the car until the end of the extended lease. The question they kept asking was “why did you extend it for 2 years and only want to keep it for one”. After lots of back and forward telephone conversations we gave in, but now I wish we hadn’t. We could have had a much more suitable car rather than the compromise we are now being forced to make as the car we would have chosen is no longer available on Motability.

How very odd. When on an extended lease you should be able to change vehicles at any time during the extension. The only variable is that the Good Condition Bonus for the extended lease is for completed full years only (for example if you exchange after 4 years and 8 months you only get the 4-year GCB).

As others have pointed out above, there is almost zero chance of an extension beyond 5 years (other than whilst awaiting delivery of one’s next vehicle), so you are rather between a rock and a hard place if there is no suitable vehicle on the scheme.

If your change date is late October, could you push it to wait to order until the new quarter starts on 1st October? This is a gamble though. There may be more/or less suitable vehicles available and the advance payments could go in either trajectory.

Although I personally don’t condone it, you could try a few ‘stalling tactics’ to delay ordering until October – the pandemic does give you a bit of leeway – for example someone in your house may develop symptoms requiring you to self-isolate for 14 days, and then you come back from ‘holiday’ so need to self-isolate all over again.

Then if you need an automatic, awaiting a few suitable vehicles to test drive can also cause a few weeks delay whilst dealerships source automatic versions (particularly with rare or new models). I am sure you could be somewhat ‘creative’ to extend your ‘ordering period’ to the next quarter – however it is a gamble on what will/will not be available come October.

Dave

#120663 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

I am risking an onslaught of disagreement but….

There is always a suitable car or WAV on the scheme, even if it means compromise, an available adaption under the scheme or charitable grant if you cannot afford the AP.

#120670 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

Smallcar, yes thats true but you have to take into account a little that these people lucked out when volvo decided to use the scheme to “offload” the en d of line xc60. now theyve been spoilt lol as theres nothing even close on the scheme so now theyre sulking because theres nothing comparable on the scheme.

note i say this with tongue firmly in cheek lol.

#120671 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

Mitch

Yep, in life it always helps to be in the right place at the right time – but it doesn’t always happen that way- reality strikes.!!!

#120676 Reply
    mitch
    Participant

perhaps motability could implement a seperate leasing agreement for the poor old xc60 club to enable them to extend for 20 years until theres something they like???

only joking boys and girls.

#120681 Reply
    C2clo

@BigDave We have already chosen a car which is, for us, a large compromise. I was making the point that we were put under pressure to remain with the extended lease rather than allow us to change at the end of first year.

#120685 Reply
    C2clo

@Smallcar That is a very sweeping statement. Yes there is always a WAV, we have tried several different types but we don’t need one yet, we just need a car/Van/SUV with with sufficient space to take a large power chair. Many cars that have the physical space to take the wheel chair do not have sufficiently strong mounting points to take the necessary hoist to lift it. For example the XC40 mounting point will only take 80kg mounting and we need considerably more. That would have been the car of choice even though the rear seats would have to be folded down at all times.  I have been through every car on the scheme that could possibly cover the three criteria below:-

1. the opening height of the tailgate also known as the throat and its width

2. The floor loading for the wheelchair

3. The hoist mounting point and its load bearing capability.

Motability are as much use as a chocolate fireguard when it comes to having/giving specific advice on cars and to be honest many of the sales force in garages don’t have a clue either. I have spent several hours with a Motability Adapter working out what is doable and ended up with a shortlist of 4 vehicles that will cover all three points above.

Then add to the the nature of my wife’s disability, the seating position she needs, heated seats and backrest angles. Sure there are vehicles on the scheme, just precious few that meet her specific needs.

#120686 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

C2clo

i can understand your particular dilemma, all the best with your car search.

#120698 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

They want you to stay in your current car longer as if you getting pip/dla then they will get the full allowance for a car that the 3 year premium has been paid off on and thus MB make more money and maybe they’ll get a bonus..

I dunno ??? or maybe as you said there is nothing on scheme right now to compare it to for you, they think it’s best you stay in the car you extended a year ago for the reason you did then.. have they changed no…

As for everything, sometimes something has to give, like for me this time it was heated seats, on my last car, i had them they was great for my back. but my new one t don’t have them, but i can get a plug in seat warmer if it’s that much of an issue when it gets cold again.

The car i did get is low but any car is not easy for me to get into, so i understand your issues but sometimes certain things we need and others we don’t really need we’d prefer them.

I’d rather the Adaptive cruise than heated seats and volvo and others charge that as part of a pack on top of the Ap and that really helps me drive and be in less pain than using normal cruise control and me braking as the stop start functions is great for me.. We all have different needs, I need an auto, a big enough boot and acc with stop/start function. I’d rather have them than a higher car without them, if I can get in, you getIn and out once per journey say, but driving more and more hurts me more and more than getting in anycar which hurts as my body bends in some way, even when assited.

I hope you understand i’m trying to help you with my view. the last 4 cars on the scheme have been down to two real options and test drove them only. I have decided that it don’t always have to be an suv or higher car. The driving part is more important and I cannot afford a huge AP. right now about £1400 is my limit.

It’s not easy

#120710 Reply
    Zoe

If you love the car you have and have had it for 5 years, could you not see about buying it from them instead of renewing with a new car? I know it’s hard when you love a car.

#120756 Reply
    Motaxyz
    Participant

Extending lease has obvious disadvantage of having a car that is less reliable as it gets older. Tyres, battery etc are likely to need renewing. MOT and extra services. More trips to the garage needed.

I know to some this will seem minor compared to spreading AP and cost of extras out over two extra years and to hope that their dream car comes into the scheme within two years.

Each to his own I suppose but paying a similar weekly payment for a car  over 4 years old to a new one seems counterintuitive.

#120774 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

I’d never extend and probally never  will buy the car after I’ve had it for 3 years as wear and tear starts to take it’s toll and the main bonus to the scheme for me is the piece of mind it gives me.

Had 1 problem that needed the rac in 9 years, a faulty battery and thats pretty much it.

If you do higher milage you’ll  soon have major services to have done as well like the timing belt etc depends on the car so could cause more hassle than a new car, Unless you unlucky and get a lemon.

Plus you get that new car smell again.

#120790 Reply
    Azzy

Just to chime in, I called Motability today regarding a lease extension and based on the car I have it’s only going to be done for 6months, I’ve got a Seat Leon FR and only paid £250 Ap. The reasons I was given for not being able to extend it further was basically in 5 years (2 year extra lease) it wouldn’t be worth anything to them.

previous cars I have had far higher AP which is why I most probably was allow to keep them for longer, so come March 2021 they said they car will need to go back unless I’ve ordered another one

#120798 Reply
    rox
    Blocked

That’s alright as the new Seat Leon FR will be here soon maybe you can order i dunno…

The gcb is only for the whole year as well so the fact you have only extended it for another 6 months means you will still only get the £600 unless you already asked for it because of covid or they sent it to you like they did me.. So I’d personally change it and get a brand new car again if you can asap. unless they extended you in march because of covid and now another that would be a year extention.

#120886 Reply
    Azzy

Rox, unfortunately I need a higher car now, I have been looking at the Mini Countryman Cooper S Sport so I can just slide in and out. I tried the normal one but found the seats unsupportive.

i am not feeling the new AP though, in 2 quarters they have increased quite a bit. I have a funeral to pay for so I can’t just go spending what I want on a car right now because with that in place things are tight financially. Even with the £500 off AP it’s still near £2k.

But hey I’ll see how it goes, I’ve got until March, I struggle with my car now but I will make do until things are a bit more sorted.

#120901 Reply
    Gary

@c2clo

sounds like you are in much the same position as us, can I ask what your shortlist is?

Cheers

#120911 Reply
    Russ

C2clo

I would be interested to know which cars don’t have the ability to have a hoist during to their mounting point and weight bearing ability.

I spoke to a Volvo salesman yesterday and he said my hoist and scooter wouldn’t be able to go in an xc40.

#120914 Reply
    Gary

@Russ, I was told the Skoda Kodiak, Seat Tarracco and the VW Tiguan Allspace all wont take the weight 🙁

#120920 Reply
    Russ

Will they take an 80k hoist?

#120925 Reply
    Gary

No idea sorry, they wont take 150kg hoists which was my starting point 🙁

TBH, I would expect 80kg would me more than ok.  you could ring Martin Healey adaptations in Darlington (01325 389900) and ask them, just tell them you are looking for your next motability car and need to check suitability, they’ve seemed really helpful when I’ve called them.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 84 total)
Reply To: Extending motability lease
Your information: