Extending motability lease

This topic contains 51 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar ian 1 day, 1 hour ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #74373 Reply
    John

I’m sure I read on one of the threads that motability are allowing customers to extend their lease beyond the 3 year lease,can anyone please confirm if this is true??

thanks

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #74946 Reply
    Tosh

and….that’s a great choice of car Hammerhead. The Allspace Match dsg 4motion is the limit for me based upon the AP.  The £600 dealer assistance and the £600 good condition bonus would only leave me needing to pay approx £300. All depending on if the pieces of the jigsaw come together ?. It would just be time off work and 2 round trips to York or Hull to place the order and collect ?

#74960 Reply
    HammerHead
    Participant

Cheers Tosh! Was originally going for the same as you but whilst sat in the dealers, my son (other named driver) asked why I was ‘speccing up’ the Allspace Match to the same as the R Line Tech. To which I replied I prefer the R Line. His response… ‘So you are basically paying £3000 for a heated steering wheel!’

Umm well when you put it like that… I turned to the Salesman and asked him to change the order 😉 £2899 AP – £250 Discount – £500 GCB = £2149 and I plan to keep the car for the 5 years so under £430/pa 🙂

Hope this helps.

#74961 Reply
    catturbo

can anyone clear up the extended lease.if you extend for 12 month,can you change anytime in the 12 month without paying any fee at all,such has ending your lease early.

#74962 Reply
    HammerHead
    Participant

Catturo, Yes is the short answer.

I am in a 1 year extension (after 3 year contract) and have just ordered a new car. I will not be liable to any fees with motability whatsoever.

#74974 Reply
    Tosher

Just cleared this up with motability; no fees payable if ending the extended lease contract at any time  ( I guess this would apply to anyone on an extended lease). So I’m going ahead with ordering the Allspace with peace of mind. Taking a trip over to Yorkshire this weekend to place my order. Only issue is the 20 odd week wait for delivery but I’m  in no rush and will receive it beforeally the winter so will hopefully benefit from the 4motion (only time I’ll wish for snow to try it out!) ?

#90896 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Silly question,

I am a little concerned as regards of Brexit and the possible effect on the Motability scheme , availability and increase AP, I am due to change my car in May 2020 and can order in February. We paid AP £1295 for m y current Ford Kuga at present we are up to 16,000 miles we are happy with the car, now the car has some mileage we achieving around the mid 40’s. As we tow a caravan we have also had a towbar fitted which cost around £400.

Here is my question, I accept my AP is below the £2000, but if the availability and the AP rise i.e. 20% will Motability allows us to extend ?

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#90902 Reply
    Footloose

Can someone please tell me what the mileage has to be after 3 years to be able to extend your lease and is it set in stone or can you go over?

#90903 Reply
    Macca

Motability say 15000 or less but there are people on here that have secured lease extensions with far more miles on the clock

#90904 Reply
    Fordmax

I just extended mine and my milage was just under 30,000. When I rang to extend, they were more interested in my reasons for extending rather than the mileage the car had done.

#90905 Reply
    Brydo

For me they said because I paid an AP more than £2000 I could have an extension.

#90913 Reply
    Footloose

Hi Brydo

like you I believe some time ago I was told by Motability that as I had also paid a higher ap it would be possible to extend my lease with no mention of mileage.

#90914 Reply
    Brydo

Footloose we have a VolvoXC60 and it’s been the best car I’ve ever had. We are coming up to year four so will need to get serious next year and decide what we are doing.

Waiting to see what comes on Q1 and Q2 next year then deciding if we stay on the scheme or get our own BEV. Hopefully something is on the scheme we can live with but I’m not confident.

#90916 Reply
    Paul

ive just extended my xc60 .They didnt ask about mileage,im currently just under 45k.They allowed me to extend due to high AP.

I originally paid £2950.

They give you the choice of 1 or 2 years and i was advised to extend for 2years,it makes no difference if you find a new car a month into the 2yr ext or in last 2months.

Please note the reason i was advised to do 2 not 1 year was that changes to the extension rule could change in next 12 months.

So i dont know if the lady let something out the bag or not or she was just stating common sense,why extend 1 year and after decide to extend again another year

#90918 Reply
    Brydo

Paul I don’t think you can extend one year then extend for another. It’s either one year or two, I think.

#90920 Reply
    Paul

Brydo ,you are correct yeah.Just makes sense to extend by 2 in my opinion ,just gives you  more time and hope of a vehicle to come available that ticks all the boxes.

One thing though she never mentioned about the good condition bonus,gave me the impression would still be £600.Although correct me if im wrong but im sure i read on here that it does rise after 4 and 5 years.Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?.

#90921 Reply
    Brydo

£900 for five years I think.

#90923 Reply
    Paul

That makes me feel even better lol.cheers

#90924 Reply
    Brydo

Haha I hope I’m right.

#91021 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

An interesting couple of questions about extending contracts on the latest ‘Ask Helen Dolphin’ video on the Motability website.

It is in the Helen asks Hani video:

https://www.motability.co.uk/c/ask-helen/?utm_source=cust-standard-car-enewsletter-oct-2019&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enewsletter&utm_content=helenaskshani

From what it said, it seems as if a ‘long term’ (upto 2 year extension) is now one of a customer’s options at the 3yr point, regardless of and AP paid etc, provided the vehicle remains suitable for the user.

Worth a quick nosey at anyway.

Dave

#91040 Reply
    Brydo

Ive said for years Dave this should be the case. Spreading an AP over five years could allow those on the scheme to get the best car for them, rather than the only car they can afford.

#91051 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Ive said for years Dave this should be the case. Spreading an AP over five years could allow those on the scheme to get the best car for them, rather than the only car they can afford.

Indeed Brydo.

Also, from Motability’s point of view, with a lot of cars now coming with 5 or even 7 years warranty , there is no ‘added risk’ (ie cost) for Motability for being billed for ‘out of warranty’ repairs.

It seems to me to be a bit of a win-win all round.

Dave

#91052 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Thanks Dave the video was most enlightening, from what I can see there are no underlying restriction, if we chose to go down this route I will give Motability a call.

In 2005 I suffered a brain injury which has left me with mental and physical disabilities.
    Unfortunately I do get confused and get things wrong, so I apologise in advance.

#91055 Reply
    BigDave
    Participant

Infact it makes even more sense for those on WPMS to extend their lease.

Doing so, means receiving a cheque from Motability for currently £101.12 every quarter* (mine arrived yesterday). Save up all 8 of these over the two-year extension, plus the GCB gives a fund of £1700 towards the next car.

*This is because Motability’s computer cannot charge WPMS recipients less than the full amount they were paying on their original 3-year lease. After the 3-year lease is completed DLA/PIP/AFIP and WPMS all pay the same weekly amount for the vehicle during the extended lease. Hence the refund to WPMS recipients, paid quarterly in arrears.

Dave

#91056 Reply
    Brydo

It really is great news, I’ve never been one to buy or need a new car every three years. We will be in to our fifth year next year when will need to change. The timing of this isn’t great as the choice of EVs is almost non existing at the moment and a petrol SUV would be too expensive to run.

#92784 Reply
    Oscarmax
    Participant

Silly question, I am a little concerned as regards of Brexit and the possible effect on the Motability scheme , availability and increase AP, I am due to change my car in May 2020 and can order in February. We paid AP £1295 for m y current Ford Kuga at present we are up to 16,000 miles we are happy with the car, now the car has some mileage we achieving around the mid 40’s. As we tow a caravan we have also had a towbar fitted which cost around £400. Here is my question, I accept my AP is below the £2000, but if the availability and the AP rise i.e. 20% will Motability allows us to extend ?

I phoned Motability this morning regarding term of extension to my current lease, I explained I only paid an AP of £1295, they did not ask the mileage of the lease car, at present there would be no problem extending the lease, but I would need to contact them once I received my renewal notice and  they would put a note on my record.

So in theory the is no minimum AP or mileage

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
Reply To: Extending motability lease

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: