EV Reliability makes me Nervous

• Creator
    Topic
    MickC
    Participant

Thos on this forum that have had an EV for a year or two or longer could you report on how your EV has been regarding reliability,number of days the EV has been in the workshop,or has niggles that just get on your nerves and you live with.

Think back on how it compares to your previous ICE car and its reliability etc.

Ive seen this report https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/electric-vehicles/article-12815881/ev-bubble-burst-electric-cars-problems-gas.html

I need a car that is utterly reliable a car that you can jump in in all weathers push the start button and off you go,my Kuga diesel has been that car,my lease runs out in early May and i am in “new car look out phase” considering all methods of car propullsion,i would like your honest reviews please.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Bo
      Participant

Had my Hyundai Kona for nearly 3 years about to change for another electric car the Kona has been fantastic, the only thing I’ve had to do is put air in the tires never had a warning light on the dash. Only been to Hyundai for servicing.

Participant

ive currently got the ev version of the kona too. nothing major although ive had it over 2 years. currently ive a couple of minor issues with warning lights. the tyres keep saying ive issues but the readout changes every day re pressure or which tyre is low so think its the reciever or sender at fault. a new one appeared the other day. intermittently says all 4 seats dont have belts fastened even though only driver in car with belt on.. an irritating bing for several mins before it shuts up for a while.

car is overdue its service but going in on wed ..they are picking it up as im not walking well. hopefully they will fix but who knows?

other than that its been flawless. nice car with plenty gear for a reasonable price then. the main issue is the nearest garage is in edinburgh and its not ideal at my age. if i drop it off i cant get home so have to wait, and im outside their pick up radius so have to pay.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
          Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Participant

Had my KIA Soul for 3 years now, in all that time its been flawless. Just waiting for my Ioniq 6 to arrive.

----------------------------
            Hyundai Ioniq 6 Ultimate
            Scale modeller in my spare time

Rhodgie
            Participant

You will never get any vehicle that is 100% reliable so there’s always the chance of a fault occurring no mater whether EV, ICE or hybrid.

After 3 EVs in 10 years, doing over 150k miles I’ve had one issue, my first Leaf where the 12v battery went flat.

Niggles that annoy me are this one I can’t preheat it unlike my previous 2… First world problems eh?

kezo
              Participant

I wouldn’t listen to what the Daily Fail prints or Daily Express for that matter. Each of them praise them one day and slate them the next!

There is less moving parts in a EV compared to ICE. Yes they suffer 12v battery problems but no more than ICE since stop start became a thing.

What puts me off is cold weather range but, I do more mileage than most with long journeys on roads chargers aren’t in abundance.

You will be OK mate.

Ele
                Participant

Only advice I can give is to decide on what ever you want as quickly as possible

Seek out the best individual dealers APs

And order this quarter and if AP drops next quarter get the dealer to match the lower AP

joss

Ive seen this report https://www.dailymail.co.uk/yourmoney/electric-vehicles/article-12815881/ev-bubble-burst-electric-cars-problems-gas.html

Consumer Reports, which the mail article uses is USA/Canada centric. So not really relevant to the UK market.

Joss
                    Current car: Peugeot 308 GT Premium 1.2 Pure tech Petrol.

Glos Guy
                    Participant

There are plenty of things that would concern me about getting an EV, in terms of convenience versus an ICE car, but reliability wouldn’t be one of them.

kezo
                      Participant

Consumer Reports, which the mail article uses is USA/Canada centric. So not really relevant to the UK market.

…and the consumer report witout the daily mail’s spin on it.

https://www.consumerreports.org/media-room/press-releases/2023/11/electric-vehicles-are-improving-but-charging-and-battery-issues-persist-in-consumer-reports-2023-annual-auto-reliability-survey/

That said different battery cell manufacturers typically supply different regions. The Chevy Bolt/VW id family/Mustang used LG cells which had issues around 2020.

Fastbike1000
                        Participant

I’ve had a Nissan Ariya for just over a year and I’ve had quite a few little niggles, most of them are known and are common among Ariya owners but it’s not because it’s a EV it’s because it was a new design which you might have had it had been an ICE or Hybrid or EV.

Robert88
                          Participant

Ele you state order car just now and if AP goes down just get dealer to match it. I tried that as my AP has reduced £600 and dealer has refused to put new AP through stating that he can’t as motability will not allow it.

Glos Guy
                            Participant

Ele you state order car just now and if AP goes down just get dealer to match it. I tried that as my AP has reduced £600 and dealer has refused to put new AP through stating that he can’t as motability will not allow it.

Your dealer is talking BS. Dealers do this all the time. It’s nothing to do with Motability. Your dealer just cancels the order on the Motability system and immediately re-orders it at the lower AP (although it’s not the actual order, it’s just admin). Takes less than 5 minutes. Doesn’t affect the actual order, which is between the dealer and manufacturer, so doesn’t affect lead time. Tell the dealer that if they don’t do it you will cancel and go to another dealer. I suspect they will suddenly remember that it’s a 5 minute job and costs them nothing! Sign of a poor dealer I’m afraid. Mine did it without me even asking them to!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Glos Guy.
                              DumfriesDik
                              Participant

For me there are two sides to the coin. The hardware and the software.

I have no real problems with the hardware BUT the software can drive me demented. Not all the time of course, indeed, reflecting upon it rarely.

I have an OTA update ready to do, can I figure it out? Well, that’s an example.

Best car I have ever driven and cheap as chips to run. I’ll not say anymore on how great it is . . .

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Participant

Your dealer is talking BS. Dealers do this all the time. It’s nothing to do with Motability. Your dealer just cancels the order on the Motability system and immediately re-orders it at the lower AP (although it’s not the actual order, it’s just admin). Takes less than 5 minutes. Doesn’t affect the actual order, which is between the dealer and manufacturer, so doesn’t affect lead time. Tell the dealer that if they don’t do it you will cancel and go to another dealer. I suspect they will suddenly remember that it’s a 5 minute job and costs them nothing! Sign of a poor dealer I’m afraid. Mine did it without me even asking them to!

quite. if they are trying that on just cancel as the dealer isnt worth using.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                  Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Phaedra
                                  Participant

As above, mine did it twice for me, last time was only a few days before I collected it.  If they won’t spend 5 minutes to save you £600, at no cost or loss to themselves, I’d be ordering with another dealer.

And yes with reliability issues, most of the Enyaq problems are software related, the other most common problems are the charge flap sticking, common on a lot of VAG cars, and the puddle lights melting the plastic lense so instead of projecting a Skoda logo you just get a random mess!  Never had any issues with the ones on the Ateca but that’s progress for you!

Please excuse spelling/typos. Apart from being a clot it turns out I had one on my cerebellum that's now causing various problems!

kezo
                                    Participant

I am the electric car
                                      I come from down your way
                                      The kids run out
                                      As I drive down their way
                                      To hear the Woo00OOO of the engine

I am the electric car
                                      I come from down your way
                                      Running on 400 hot volts
                                      A crash in the rain will surely be electrifying
                                      Hot sparks will fly
                                      Passengers & passers by fry.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.