EV Ordering Process

• Creator
    Topic
    DumfriesDik
    Participant

This will be like a casual journal of my experience with ordering an EV via Motability.

5th November 2021 VW ID3 Max Pro Performance in Stonewashed Blue ordered
      22nd November 2021 Text received from BP Pulse requesting installation information
      23rd November 2021 BP Pulse information completed and sent
      30th November 2021 BP Pulse needs a site visit PLUS I need to fit a double pole isolation switch

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DumfriesDik
      Participant

Today I need to sort out the double pole isolation switch.

BP tell me that Motability will pay for it, around £170. Work that only my energy supplier, OVO, can do.

The question is, how do I organise my energy supplier to invoice BP on behalf of Motability. I wish there was a much smoother way of doing this as I am not be the first person, yet it feels quite daunting. I wish BP, Motability and the energy company would talk between themselves. Chinese whispers coming up? Lets see.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
        Participant

1 December 2021 – Double Pole Isolation Switch. A problem. Without this switch, BP will not install a charger.

It is like I am the first person to go through this process.

OVO energy have not heard of Motability. OVO energy can only order a switch via my account and therefore I will have to pay for it.

email today sent to BP requesting they speak with OVO, get it paid for and then ask OVO to call me and arrange a fitting date.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
          Participant

2 December 2021 – Double Pole Isolation Switch ordered and paid for by me from OVO. BP tell me I can claim a refund from them. No invoice from OVO yet. Grrr. Without this, BP will not install. Also, BP are to arrange a site survey.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Glos Guy
            Participant

Blimey. I’m exhausted already! Surely this level of hassle and complexity before you’ve even taken delivery of the car must be a deterrent to many. You’d think that the whole process would be seamless and straightforward by now.

Participant

i got bulb to fit smart meters, and they fit one as standard when they do. they said they were gong to charge me £75(half price) if getting it done at same time, but engineer who came said he just fits them as standard.

pity bulb has crashed, as i liked them. i cant even change for now lol. no leckky companies are taking new business on.

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

Participant

After the dust had settled and we looked back on having a home charger we counted that there had been a total of 31 people involved in the process, we knew it was crazy but hadn’t realised how crazy until we sat down and counted them. We also realised at that point that level of efficiency,or inefficiency is not sustainable to achieve what is expected by 2030 there just isn’t enough time or enough people.

I am the carer / driver for my wife who cannot drive due to disability

DumfriesDik
                  Participant

7 December 2021 – Isolation switch install date is 4 January. Notified BP of this and still awaiting to hear from them regarding a site survey.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
                    Participant

9 December 2021 – Site survey booked in for 20 December.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

fwippers
                      Participant

Blimey. I’m exhausted already! Surely this level of hassle and complexity before you’ve even taken delivery of the car must be a deterrent to many. You’d think that the whole process would be seamless and straightforward by now.

Reminds me of an old project manager, over complicated system, simplified when I took over. He sent 6 separate letters to suppliers and other departments, we sent just 1 with all the information. Hopefully the charging installation may follow a similar route, however, government and companies thrive on red tape!

DumfriesDik
                        Participant

20 December 2021 – Site survey completed by AN Other company. I am not sure why the chap came to tell the truth, a lot of sighs and sucking air in through his teeth. I wasn’t involved and I don’t know what it was all about. I wonder when BP will be in touch to tell me the outcome, soon I hope. He told me I will need to pay for a trench and pay extra for this and that. I don’t think he knew how the installation was going to be funded so I didn’t treat it too seriously for now. Ah well, I will keep jumping through the hoops – roll on January.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Jim

He is correct only standard installation costs are covered by motability, an extras you will have to pay for.

Colin

Motability Operations will cover the cost of any additional work required for a safe installation which can be completed by either bp pulse or Pod Point, including isolator switches, additional cabling etc.

If additional work is needed which cannot be completed by bp pulse or Pod Point, the customer will need to cover the costs.

Participant

The best advice i can give you is take the number of the contractor who turns up to fit your charger, then in future ring him and not BP Pulse. He will then assess any work or repairs that need doing and ring through for authorisation from BP, this will save you weeks of going back and forth with BP. My installer gave me this advice and i have had my main unit replaced twice and the internal fuse replaced for the newer electronic ones, all completed by him without having to ring BP once.

----------------------------
                                KIA Soul EV First Edition
                                Scale modeller in my spare time

Participant

you could dig trench yourself i guess if fit enough. i know i did this to get cable out to sheds without costing an arm and leg..

Anyway, sorry it seems to be dragging out for you. mine was fortunately fairly straightforward. it still took the installer 5 hrs

Current Car: Hyundai Kona Premium EV...2 way 40kg hoist
                                  Last Car: Toyota C-HR Excel Hybrid...4 way 80kg hoist

DumfriesDik
                                  Participant

21 December 2021 – Email sent to BP early morning concerning two things. A refund for the Isolation Switch and the site survey. Received a telephone call from BP say a refund would be authorised and he will contact me again once survey submitted. I have a dedicated person that I deal with at BP and it is very good.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
                                    Participant

23 December 2021 – Refund for isolation switch received.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
                                      Participant

5 January 2022 – Isolation switch installed and photo sent to BP. Received a reply from my contact thanking me and moving on to the next stage.

I have to say, so far, I am very impressed with how the installation is being handled. BUT we are not there yet!

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
                                        Participant

14 January 2022 – Missed call from BP. Email received 3 minutes later. Home charge application has been approved and to allow 10 days for scheduling team to make installation appointment.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

DumfriesDik
                                          Participant

28 January 2022 – Chased up via email BP about being contacted by the scheduling team. Telephone call received in the afternoon. The installation isn’t straight forward and BP have gone back to Motability to approve the additional cost for the extra materials/work and waiting for Motability to respond now.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

kbfern

What additional work needs carrying out? have BP said what that will cost.

This is the trouble with these charger installations, you are expected to fill in a questionnaire and take a few pics. Then when they turn up to do the job you are hit with: this job is not as straight forward as we thought and it’s going to cost more!

If these companies employed a local guy to pop in and do the survey themselves and quote an accurate price to start with it would be so much better and folks like me would be happy to order one and even pay out of my own pocket for the job.

But no that’s not how the system works, you provide info and pay up front only to find you could be in for hundreds extra to get the job completed.

That’s why I am reluctant to bother and instead use the local public charge points that are in my local area and put up with far less hassle by going to a charger once every 7-14 days for a 30-40 min charge.

vinalspin
                                              Participant

So almost 2 months in and still not fitted, not exactly brilliant, had my entire house rewired with a new consumer unit, 64 extra double sockets, 2 extra small c/u’s and 4 outdoor buildings done in less than 2 weeks from first enquiry.

Seems too much hassle for a single charge point to me.

Rene

Yeah, not to be too negative or detract from your (at least apparently) positive outlook, but we had to have our own charger fitted (due to a PHEV order).

I called them for the first time on the 21st this month, and we have it installed on next week friday 9am (4th of feb). Of course, things could still go wrong, but that’s where we’re currently at. And that’s installed, not surveyed (we did supply pictures of all the things as requested in the online survey of the charger we’re going for).

We had a pleasant conversation via email, and by that i mean “Hey, we can see on the pictures and drawings you provided that this would be a straight forward installation, here’s the quote”.

Now, of course, we’re paying out of pocket, £595 (that’s after the grant), so i very much would expect it to go smoother. Still puts things into perspective though.

rox
                                                  Participant

Way to much hassle, especially for those with more than just a physical disability.

DumfriesDik
                                                    Participant

Yup @Rene, I remain upbeat with the project. Better communication from BP than VW!!

Hi @rox, at some stage, folk (who can) are going to have to have a home charger installed at some point. I am happy to say that the perceived hassle is negated by excellent support from BP. Thus far at least.

Just remember that if you choose to buy your own charger and pay for any extras, you may well be looking at paying over £1k. For the amount of effort I have had to put in, it really is a bargain. 🙂

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Rene

Over £1000 is rather rare – the usual chargers (Wallbox Pulsar Plus, Ohme Home Pro, Eo Mini 2) etc are generally around £600, maybe £750 on a bad day. Our Easee One lies at £595, to get to over £1000 they’d need to do a lot of extra work.

Of course, saving that kinda money is nice, no argument here. But faffing about for two months with no movement ain’t great either – especially if you already have the car.

@kbfern

But no that’s not how the system works, you provide info and pay up front only to find you could be in for hundreds extra to get the job completed.

That’s not how our order worked. We have a quote that we accepted, and is due AFTER the installation. The guys will come out, and once he’s here and tells me that there’s an unacceptable amount due extra after telling me it’s a straight forward installation, they can pack up and go home again. I doubt it though.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.