EV Options Thoughts and seeking advice

• Creator
    Topic
    MFillingham
    Participant

I’ve seen a few people looking at similar sets of options so thought I’d start off a thread giving opinions from several sources.

This is looking at the rather popular SUV/Crossover group that sees the ID5, ID4, Audi Q4 Etron, Enyaq, Mustang Mach E, EV6 Ioniq 5 and the Enyaq Coupe all on the scheme with APs varying between £1,999 all the way up to £7,999.

I’m not sure it’s worth going into all the specs of the cars, lets suffice to say that the majority of the list are all of a level where they’re going to have enough toys for the average Joe.

That said, there’s the well equipped but quality shy ID5 at the cheapest end alongside the Enyaq, which is short of a lot of the things the rest on the list provide, like heated seats, a number of driving aides, power tailgate, etc.  However, even some of the most expensive are short of some, but not all, of this list as well.

So, personally I’m in a position where I can afford any AP requested, this time around.  BUT do I simply buy the car I like most and worry about finding the AP to maintain that level of specification in 3-5 years time or should I go cheap and have a much better chance of getting something equally equipped without breaking the bank every now and again?

Would you advise someone to go for it, assuming it won’t over extend them, and then worry about the next renewal when it arrives or keep it sensible and only get a standard that should be easily renewable next time?

I feel it’s very easy to get into the cutting edge of cars with the likes of the EV6, Ioniq 5 and 6 and some others at that price range and get used to a car that has electric everything and lots of clever touches.  However, as time goes on, will that be possible, will these sorts of cars even be on scheme?  If they might not, would it not be wise to have a bite off that luxury cherry now and see what’s available later?

Can you see someone over thinking it?

Maybe the sensible question is, do you spend big for all those toys on a car that’s relatively exclusive when in 5 years time, at most, you’re going to give it up and have to start all over again?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Berty

Mark, EV’s are new technology and that is a bridge we must cross.

We have the best options with a Motability lease, you are not forking out £50K for an ID.5.

Whatever you choose, you will have the car for at least 3 years.  After the current lease expires in 3 years time, I doubt there will be any ICE cars available.

It is not through customer choice, but manufacturers will only supply EV’s.

Currently, the AP’s for suitable SUV EV’s are very high. I would like my next lease to be an SUV EV, but in reality I reckon its going to be a hybrid.

Neil

If we are talking about what is available to pick now from the scheme, then it does offer many levels of equipment at a cost from different manufacturers, what we do not know is the innovations coming in the future.

There  is much research and development being put into battery durability and reducing  production costs, as new materials start to show promise these will benefit EV drivers by extending range and become lighter thus improving the overall experience of drivers.

If the amount of vehicles being produced in China become main stream cars in Europe it is logical the overall price of owning an EV will fall dramatically but it may be at the expense of quality and poor support infrastructure.

Tesla production number have reached all time levels but the design is ageing along with the technology, how will the second hand market support an influx of used EVs that are technically obsolete and at the moment difficult to recycle.

I suspect we just look to the moment and not fully aware of the outcomes in the future.

Rico
          Participant

to be honest if your budget can stretch to the ionic 5 ultimate, that is the most fully loaded car on the scheme in my opionion. if you have another 900 you can add the tech pack  that features Remote Smart Park Assist (RSPA), Parking Collision Avoidance (PCA), Automatic flush door handles, driver seat position memory function and relaxation seats on both driver and passenger seats. if range is more you thing and its not to low the ionic 6 premium is the right one to go, its only second to telsla globally for efficency.

the nissan in evolve trim is pretty much fully loaded, but even advance trim is good.. there are some good options on cars at the moment but the price is steep. the ionic 5 ultimate does have a lot though and the cooling seats really do help in the summer (i dont have one a friend does) i have tried the ev6 and loved the power, but a 8 month old demo with 6k on it should not be rattling (noises) like it was so it was 100% crossed off.

kezo
            Participant

Only you can say how much money  your willing to put towards an AP! Afterall its your private business however,  there will be plenty of memers willing to help with spec’s of what each car has and how they felt on a test drive or just sitting in it but, even then what suits one may not suit another, so equally choosing a car is personal to you. As for putting a hefty AP down this time doesn’t necesarily mean you will have to maintain that level of spend in 3-5 years time. As manufacturers bring out more EV’s, the possibilty of more Chinese EV’s on our roads them may drive prices down, as battery csts fall fall, its highly likely by then EV prices would have reduced somewhat by the time you come to renew.

From my perspective and as far as I understand you have been happy overall with your current ZS, only wishing it had better range for your longer journeys nor do Iclass you as a car snob? With that said do you really need to put such a large APdown on a new car, when cars like the ZS long range or similar aren’t a million miles from the higher rang vehicles on the scheme will probably be capeable for yourneeds. That said I’m not one to preach how much one should put down and its ones business and nobody elses.

I wish you and others all the best in your search/s and hearing your chosen choices 🙂

MFillingham
              Participant

to be honest if your budget can stretch to the ionic 5 ultimate, that is the most fully loaded car on the scheme in my opionion. if you have another 900 you can add the tech pack that features Remote Smart Park Assist (RSPA), Parking Collision Avoidance (PCA), Automatic flush door handles, driver seat position memory function and relaxation seats on both driver and passenger seats. if range is more you thing and its not to low the ionic 6 premium is the right one to go, its only second to telsla globally for efficency. the nissan in evolve trim is pretty much fully loaded, but even advance trim is good.. there are some good options on cars at the moment but the price is steep. the ionic 5 ultimate does have a lot though and the cooling seats really do help in the summer (i dont have one a friend does) i have tried the ev6 and loved the power, but a 8 month old demo with 6k on it should not be rattling (noises) like it was so it was 100% crossed off.

I look at the kit on the Ioniq 5 Ultimate and a lot of it is useless to us.  If we travel any distance, then there’s 3 of us, so the reclining ‘relaxation’ seats are going to cause a lot of problems to who ever is in the back.  I don’t like the Ioniq’s door handles, maybe the automatic ones are a little better?  The Ev6 was under equipped for what it costs, I was hoping Ford were going to follow everyone else and drop the Select’s price and add the better version but they just dropped £100, which is a shame, it has the best doors for getting in/out.  The Nissan Ariya Evolve is the expensive option, enough range and plenty of equipment, including the complete memory adjustment for steering wheel, mirrors and seat.  Something perfect if there’s potentially multiple drivers.  The Q4 felt too high for us, the IDs too poor quality and were uncomfortable.

Only you can say how much money your willing to put towards an AP! Afterall its your private business however, there will be plenty of memers willing to help with spec’s of what each car has and how they felt on a test drive or just sitting in it but, even then what suits one may not suit another, so equally choosing a car is personal to you. As for putting a hefty AP down this time doesn’t necesarily mean you will have to maintain that level of spend in 3-5 years time. As manufacturers bring out more EV’s, the possibilty of more Chinese EV’s on our roads them may drive prices down, as battery csts fall fall, its highly likely by then EV prices would have reduced somewhat by the time you come to renew. From my perspective and as far as I understand you have been happy overall with your current ZS, only wishing it had better range for your longer journeys nor do Iclass you as a car snob? With that said do you really need to put such a large APdown on a new car, when cars like the ZS long range or similar aren’t a million miles from the higher rang vehicles on the scheme will probably be capeable for yourneeds. That said I’m not one to preach how much one should put down and its ones business and nobody elses. I wish you and others all the best in your search/s and hearing your chosen choices ?

Thanks mate, it’s not about snobbery, although I appreciate your comment, it’s kind of a magpie type of thing with lots of shiny toys to play with (all of which could go wrong).  The base Skoda is sufficient for our needs, although heated seating and steering wheel is useful for a passenger with spine issues and a driver with arthritis in hands as well as knees.  Everything else is partially very useful and justifiable as necessary or else just shiny toys I could probably survive quite happily without (being honest).  I keep swinging from expensive right through to base Skoda and all the way back again.

The next car needs to be bigger, to solve the problems we’ve encountered with the ZS.  Range is one and boot size is the other (amongst a few quality issues that you’d expect from a Chinese budget product) but the main thing is that as my legs degrade my ability to get in and out when the door just opens far enough now would be a real problem.  Having something like the Skoda or the Nissan would enable easy access even at the point where I can barely bend the legs.

The money this time comes from the ZS, it’s mine and can be used to fund whatever car I want/need, it’s just whether I can justify the expense on the shorter ranged car with more toys or the longer ranged one with a few toys added.  I may find that test drives completely alter my plans and I end up in the Ioniq, who knows?

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.

Mark

kezo
                Participant

Thanks mate, it’s not about snobbery, although I appreciate your comment, it’s kind of a magpie type of thing with lots of shiny toys to play with (all of which could go wrong).  The base Skoda is sufficient for our needs, although heated seating and steering wheel is useful for a passenger with spine issues and a driver with arthritis in hands as well as knees.  Everything else is partially very useful and justifiable as necessary or else just shiny toys I could probably survive quite happily without (being honest).  I keep swinging from expensive right through to base Skoda and all the way back again. The next car needs to be bigger, to solve the problems we’ve encountered with the ZS.  Range is one and boot size is the other (amongst a few quality issues that you’d expect from a Chinese budget product) but the main thing is that as my legs degrade my ability to get in and out when the door just opens far enough now would be a real problem.  Having something like the Skoda or the Nissan would enable easy access even at the point where I can barely bend the legs.

I’d never think for one minute its snobbery as you don’t come across that way.

If you haven’t already done so try sitting down and write a list of whats are must haves (useful for medical reasons), what would be helpful in daily life, ignore the rest and go from there, you may find you need a higher spec car with bling you will never use, just to to get whats necessary on your list!

For example. I need leather seats for my daughter heated seats and electric tailgate….. Leatherseats alone often mean going for a top spec car often with equipment I will never use but necessary to get whats on ur must have list!

Participant

It is a quandry to be fair, I’d rule out any you have already had any issues with in getting in or out (passenger also). You clearly need heated seats and steering wheel, they help with the spinal issue and arthritic hands, so scrap any without those (unless you are prepared to add them as extras – thinking of the Enyaq and its expensive packs). That narrows it down a little.

Other things are, as you point out, toys, useful at times but not really necessary so they can be pretty much ignored, just go see and try the cars on your shortlist and pick the one that most appeals to you from comfort/driving/ease of entry and be happy till next time.

I would not necessarily discount a smaller battery car, 63kw vs 77 is not actually that much difference, especially as the Nissans charge curve means you can take it to 98-99% (58kw) easily on a long run. A 70kw Mach-E battery charges so slowly after 85% (59-60kw) you would probably unplug and set off again – so only a 1-2kw difference in real life, except you were already long gone in the Nissan as it charges faster overall (see Bjorn Nylands charging videos…).

Then again the Niro EV has a 475 ltr boot, Ariya is 466. The Niro EV 4 has all the toys, bar the heat pump and a £3999 AP. It’s not as flash looking or as big overall, so there is that.

I go through the same thing, toys vs needs vs AP and swither between the Niro, 63 Evolve, Mach-E, EV6 and the Ioniq 5. The Enyaq is out, EV’s need heated seats and wheel to save on cabin heat and adding very expensive packs on top of AP is silly, have an accident or need to change your vehicle and you will not see that money back. I’ve tried the ID.4/5 and hate the minimal interior and very crazy touch “buttons” so they are out. Q4 is too poverty spec for the price.

Finally, I keep thinking I should have a last dinosaur hurrah and keep being drawn to the Mazda CX-60, the electric only range would suit most of my local journeys and the petrol the longer ones. Very well specced in Homura trim with the added pack and at 327hp it’s interesting.

See, most of us are no better at choosing – and I still have a year to go on my current lease!

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

MFillingham
                    Participant

@Abercol, thanks.  Yes, the Niro did come into the thought process as I was originally looking at the Kona or Niro when I started this horrid DWP PIP process.  So we went and had a look and the cabin felt smaller than the current ZS, much to my shock.  So that’s out.

We’ve sat in many cars, with a view to actually test driving the select few once I am on the scheme so far the results have been:

ID5 – yuck, cheap plasticky and seats were uncomfortable.

Enyaq – comfortable, much more so than expected, especially considering we’d just ran away from it’s cousin the VW

Ariya – Very nice but initially felt like we were sat on top of the seats, a little adjustment and all was good.

ID4 – My wife pretty much bounced, she was in there for all of 30 seconds and was complaining of back ache.

Niro – Nice interior but was cramped, even in comparison to the ZS,

Mach E – Expectations were pretty low and were suprisingly good.  It’s the only car I can get in without having to bend my legs, which makes a difference when you’ve arthritic knees

Ioniq 5 – Very comfortable, very nice but the spec when we sat in one was rather poor given the huge AP, now the Ultimate is on the scheme, it’s got to be in contention.  I’m concerned with lead times though, the sales child (he was incredibly young) was very proud to tell us at least 12 months waiting “it’s a popular car, you see”.

EV6 – Nice car, comfortable seats and the lowest we could probably go to, getting out was Ok but I could see it being a problem after a long day or long journey.  The spec wasn’t great and I don’t think I’m that bothered by a fast AWD version any more. I tend to ‘pootle’ around these days rather than always being in a hurry.

Q4 Etron – too high for us, we felt like it should have been a proper 4×4 and we felt perched rather than comfortably sat and, again, the salesman was very proud to warn us of long delays.  Wife ad daughter like the idea of a purple car but daughter looked at the front and just said ‘no’.

So in terms of the ‘sit test’ we were left with a choice of Ariya, Enyaq and Ioniq 5 with the Mach E coming a close 4th but just out of contention.

The Enyaq has a low spec but a great dealership and, depending upon availability at the time, we could get a car quite quickly.  It would need the clever pack, at £2755, unless there was a model on offer that had the important parts but I’m kind of happy as that’s now only 5 grand or so.  The idea of buying a pack does bother me, more because of the lack or return should anything go wrong.

The Ariya in Evolve trim did surprise me, it has everything we need, might need, could have wanted and a few things more.  I like that it looks different enough without completely waiving it’s uniqueness around like the EV6 does.  The bonus items were the heated rear seats, which means the Mrs could get in front or back and still have heating for her back should it be a problem.  The electric tailgate is useful, especially as the ladies aren’t that tall.

The Ioniq 5 has the look of the Lancia Delta on steroids and given a modern twist, which I like – it takes me back to the Lancia we had.  With the Ultimate on scheme with the range, it’s also got everything we need but I’m not convinced my mum could deal with the rather funky door handles, her hands are practically useless due to arthritis and the push one bit in whilst pulling another might just not work.

The Mach E really wasn’t that far off the longer range options but the equipment on the base model at a price that now includes the Evolve and is only a grand less than the Ioniq 5 just isn’t appealing.  They’d need to do what Nissan did, knock 2 grand off the price and add the higher model for it to be an option.

So, I’m down to 2 options.  The Enyaq, which is a dealer I really like, has a lot of time for Motability customers and I can add a pack or two to bring it up to spec, however with the plus pack added it’s not far off the same price as the Nissan with similar spec but more range and the refund risk attached.  The Ariya Evolve, all the toys plus a few ‘look at this’ items like the electric sliding centre consul and the middle draw in the dash.  Utterly useless but the sort of thing you show your mates when they get in for a look.

Mark

Participant

I don’t think I’d be too worried about the Evolve over the Advance, a lot of money for not that much gained, a few fripperies to show off once then forget about. Although the electric adjustable seats with ventilation does appeal (see, there I go again!).

I don’t think you can go wrong either way, apart from the low risk of loss of extra spend over AP. Test drive should help pick out a winner.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

MFillingham
                        Participant

It’s the heated rear seats, heating and cooled ventilated front and the electric adjustment of seats, mirrors and steering wheel (all memory set, so a change of driver would be easily adjusted) all appeal over the Advance.

Mark

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.