EV how’s your cold weather range?

• Creator
    Topic
    Mikeydarlo
    Participant

So the cold weather has certainly arrived in the uk.  I’m currently waiting on delivery of an i4 and was just curious how all Ev s are performing the last few days .  Could people post their summer range vs now,  their miles per kW etc.  are they as bad as some people claim?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rhodgie
      Participant

Winter range is less than summer obviously but unless you’re travelling 200+ miles a day it isn’t an issue and not as bad as some would like you to believe.

People ignore the fact that an ICE is also less efficient in winter and that it usually needs to sit stationary with the engine running just to clear the screen, while most EVs can preheat so it’s already warm when you get in.

wmcforum
        Which Mobility Car

This time of year with a diesel van I’m usually home before the temperature gauge even gets off the floor. Consequently it is always damp inside and frankly miserable. The pre conditioning that the electric car offers really would make a huge difference.

kezo
          Participant

This time of year with a diesel van I’m usually home before the temperature gauge even gets off the floor. Consequently it is always damp inside and frankly miserable. The pre conditioning that the electric car offers really would make a huge difference.

Can’t you precondition your diesel van 10mins or so before going anywhere?

kezo
            Participant

So the cold weather has certainly arrived in the uk. I’m currently waiting on delivery of an i4 and was just curious how all Ev s are performing the last few days . Could people post their summer range vs now, their miles per kW etc. are they as bad as some people claim?

EVdatabase

City – Cold Weather *
              250 mi
              Highway – Cold Weather *
              190 mi
              Combined – Cold Weather *
              220 m

City – Mild Weather *
              385 mi
              Highway – Mild Weather *
              255 mi
              Combined – Mild Weather *
              310 mi

Alot will also depend on how heavy your right foot is and use of HVAC.

https://ev-database.org/uk/car/1785/BMW-i4-eDrive35

des
              Participant

Just took the Kona off the charge this morning to do the school run and it was -2 here.

Range at 100% was 243 and the car was defrosted and nice and warm. Also I drive it like any car I’ve had as I don’t need to conserve power.

I can’t remember summer range as I’ve a head like a sieve.

Edit. I live in a very small city and I’m probably 60% city 40% motorway, dual carriageway. Music always on, heat 21/22 degrees fan 1 on and off as I’m always cold anyway.

Eco mode auto and set at 2.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by des.
                wmcforum
                Which Mobility Car

We are not that kind of household, there is NEVER 10 minutes before only 10 minutes late.

I also have a ‘bit of a thing’ for parked cars with their engine running.

ChrisK
                  Participant

I’ve always found that with diesel cars but was pleasantly surprised to find my previous KIA Carens 1.7 diesel warmed up in less than a mile.

My grandson had a Golf petrol PHEW on lone from his local dealer for a week, his own car being a diesel Golf and he commented on how cold the car was compared to his diesel.

Not having a charger at home he drove the car in hybrid mode but as the petrol engine kept turning off when the battery had a reasonable charge meant no heat in the car. He said his diesel car gets warm reasonably quick, like my old KIA I assume, but said if it was really cold like now he’d have to drive in petrol only mode and lose the extra MPG the car is capable of. It’s a shame they don’t put an electric heater in the PHEW’s like EV’s.

Like for like on his daily journeys was 60 to 70 MPG in his auto diesel and about 50 MPG in hybrid mode in the petrol 1.4 auto Golf and I think is good for a petrol but oh those cold feet I can’t bare. 😊

Participant

Qashqai ePower.

I can lock and unlock the car preset the satnav etc. from the house / pub / distance etc, using an app on my iPhone , which is great, but unfortunately it will not allow me to preheat ,like the leaf.
                      However, the heater is run by the battery rather than the ice, so warms up very quickly and the screen clears in minutes.
                      The mpg is definitely down in the cold weather- i would estimate by 10-15%, but it matters not, as it is returning much better mpg than the Tiguan,and is saving me a reasonable bit of cash each month, all in speedy silence- mostly.

des
                      Participant

We are not that kind of household, there is NEVER 10 minutes before only 10 minutes late. I also have a ‘bit of a thing’ for parked cars with their engine running.

This is us with a teen and a five year old.

I drove old transits for years and you described vans perfectly. Cold, damp and I’ll add mouldy. Depressing things.

I couldn’t find your post about preheating, it’s a game changer and on the top of my must have list tbh. Also don’t underestimate the pre-cooling on hot days.

Anyway back on topic. Where’s all the real world ranges as I know a few on here were getting 300+ from there konas?

Also I think I had what some people call a Friday built car. My range was nowhere like what other folk got so I started looking and thinking and noticed that there was a big gap between bonnet and front of car, I also looked at other konas to compare and most were flush or very close, mine had about a 7-8mm gap. After a few Google’s I found that the bonnet could be adjusted to lower it and it now sits fairly flush. I also think this added about 30-40 miles range to a full charge.

MissingSound7
                        Participant

We are not that kind of household, there is NEVER 10 minutes before only 10 minutes late. I also have a ‘bit of a thing’ for parked cars with their engine running.

Same. My diesel Focus (obviously) needs me to warm the engine up before leaving but I feel awkward sitting there with the engine running and not doing anything. Have a neighbour who leaves his house and sits in his Audi A3 diesel several times in the evening, engine on, lights on, heating on full blast, just to use his phone. Out there 30 minutes or longer. Drives me nuts.

kezo
                          Participant

Same. My diesel Focus (obviously) needs me to warm the engine up before leaving but I feel awkward sitting there with the engine running and not doing anything. Have a neighbour who leaves his house and sits in his Audi A3 diesel several times in the evening, engine on, lights on, heating on full blast, just to use his phone. Out there 30 minutes or longer. Drives me nuts.

Everyone in our col de sac do it but, have the decency to turn lights off, rather than leaving them on auto. When I leave early to get my daughter to her not so local school, its evident the majority of the estate do it and Ive never liked the idea of standing out in the crowd and its only for 10 minutes at most.

Interesting one of my neighbours hasn’t long had a MG ZS electric and make a point of standing in the window to turn the heating on via the app. What they don’t realise is the rest of the cul de sac is climatised to the bitter cold by the time they go out again to drive off 😂

MFillingham
                            Participant

MG ZS Mk1 range hammered by a third from summer range.  Considering the biggest journey is a 18 mile round trip, I’m entirely not bothered.  I’m too old and grumpy to not turn the heating on especially as the seats are single temperature so can’t be on for long, if I want skin on my butt that is.

Next car will handle the cold better but will also start off at a bigger number.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                              I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Ele
                              Participant

Tbh I only glance at the range left in the car and not bother about what has already been used and I simply top it up as and when needed

I still do the same as I did with my ICE cars drive it as I please summer and winter

low on fuel top it up

Driving style/speed may vary according to my mood and type of journey the same as it has always done

No need to have a Carol Vorderman moment like many other EV drivers

Quick glance low on fuel top it up

Not an ounce of Eco in me and would not dream of driving in so called eco mode as imo the mode is not only rubbish in all circumstances but can also be dangerouse in certain circumstances

I will continue to drive enjoyably as I always have done and I will leave saving the planet in the so called experienced hands of king charlie and his v12s

The Eco mode is dire and once its turned on it handles like a tractor and ruins an otherwise beautiful driving experience

Seeking great experiences is one of the main reasons why I chose the car in the first place

I can understand those that often travel long distances wanting to keep costs down, and having to worry about their KWs used and when and when not to regen

luckily thats not me

DumfriesDik
                                Participant

Some numbers for you.

Went out for a meal the other evening 1.7 m/kWh. Summer time that would have easily been 3.7m/kWh.

BUT as Burgerman333 says, we just drive it to suit our needs. Full heating with seats and steering wheel heating on. It’s just a nice place to be. It was a 60 mile round trip so no dramas.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Participant

3 years in now and it remains pretty consistent with the EV database figures.

Summer i get around 310 range and hit around 5m per kwh

Winter i get around 260 range and hit around 2.5m per kwh

My over all combined consumption based on the 3 years is 4.1m per kwh.

You after understand it will be different for each person as not everyone drives the same and in the same mode. I drive in normal mode almost of the time and i drive it like any other car i have owned. I have brake regen on full as i like the one pedal driving. I have the climate set at 72 all the time and regulate using heated seats and steering wheel if it gets cold, the car regulates between heat and AC automatically. I use sport mode if im bored or want a little fun on quiet roads but i never use ECO mode. Overall once you make the adjustment it becomes normal, i personally would never go back to a combustion engine and have just ordered an Ioniq 6 for my next car. I think more people would swap too in the private sector if the prices would just come down as im sure in the future as the tech advances they will.

----------------------------
                                    KIA Soul EV First Edition
                                    Scale modeller in my spare time

MissingSound7
                                    Participant

Everyone in our col de sac do it but, have the decency to turn lights off, rather than leaving them on auto. When I leave early to get my daughter to her not so local school, its evident the majority of the estate do it and Ive never liked the idea of standing out in the crowd and its only for 10 minutes at most. Interesting one of my neighbours hasn’t long had a MG ZS electric and make a point of standing in the window to turn the heating on via the app. What they don’t realise is the rest of the cul de sac is climatised to the bitter cold by the time they go out again to drive off 😂

My mistake as I neglected to mention that the A3 guy doesn’t go anywhere. He goes and gets in, starts the car, lights on, audio on full (I can feel it at times), then switches it off after 30 mins or so and walks back inside.

I understand people needing to warm their cars up before going places; this guy has his car running for a couple of hours every day and doesn’t go anywhere. I mean, he drives to work, then comes home, spends his evenings running out to the car.

Abercol
                                      Participant

I lose around 20% in winter compared to summer, more if you do mostly short journeys as most of the loss is heating the car from cold. I don’t preheat whilst plugged in as that’s at full price, so preheat or normal heat is done from the battery at the off peak rate of 9p per kw instead of 29.

Overall range drops from around 250 miles in summer to around 205 in winter, the std heat pump on the Soul helps a lot with that.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

Glos Guy
                                        Participant

People ignore the fact that an ICE is also less efficient in winter and that it usually needs to sit stationary with the engine running just to clear the screen, while most EVs can preheat so it’s already warm when you get in.

EV drivers on this thread seem to be reporting a drop in range of between 15 and 30%. Of the last half a dozen ICE cars I’ve had I’d say that the average drop in the coldest months has been around 5% with the worst being 10%. Some difference. Even in these freezing temperatures I’m still getting 550 miles range and on longer journeys it creeps back up towards my normal 600 miles plus. I keep my car in my garage so never need to warm it up or defrost it. I just get in and drive off and I can feel the heat from the seats before I even get to the end of the road, so I don’t think I’d bother with preheating even if I had it!

DumfriesDik
                                          Participant

This is an interesting thread about EV range, lets keep it on topic, thanks.

VW ID3 Max is my DD

Glos Guy
                                            Participant

This is an interesting thread about EV range, lets keep it on topic, thanks.

The first reply to this thread unfairly compared the decline in EV range in the winter with ICE cars, so it was completely on topic. One sided blinkered discussion is rarely informative.

kezo
                                              Participant

EV drivers on this thread seem to be reporting a drop in range of between 15 and 30%. Of the last half a dozen ICE cars I’ve had I’d say that the average drop in the coldest months has been around 5% with the worst being 10%. Some difference. Even in these freezing temperatures I’m still getting 550 miles range and on longer journeys it creeps back up towards my normal 600 miles plus. I keep my car in my garage so never need to warm it up or defrost it. I just get in and drive off and I can feel the heat from the seats before I even get to the end of the road, so I don’t think I’d bother with preheating even if I had it!

I loose on average around 5% according to my spreadsheet (petrol) and 5-8% (diesel).

However, you can’t compare ICE with BEV’s easily due to the differencies in their physics and chemical make ups.

Chemical reactions in batteries, occur far more slowly in cold temperatures. Lower temp’s inhibit chemical reactions, and act as increased electrical resistance, which slows down the phsical process, requiring more electricity to perform the same amount of work. On the other hand a fossil fueled car, requires only to reach operating temperature for it to perform at maximum efficiency.

Electric vehicles, have to generate their own heat towarm the cabin. Where as a fossil vehicle uses the excess of waste heat that is generated by the engine to warm the cabin, essentially getting heat “for free. On the other hand, the battery in an EV, is more efficient but, doesn’t generate nearly as much heat, requiring an addidional heater, that leeches extra power from the battery to warm the cabin and in some conditions, battery power must be used to heat the battery itself, to maintain performance or before charging. All of this reduces the amount of available battery power left for actual driving. Vehicles fitted with an heatpump mitigate this, to a certain extent.

Abercol
                                                Participant

Kezo, EVs can also use energy heating tbe traction batteries in cold weather. VW was bad for this in early software versions of the id3/4, but that’s been tweaked a bit since.

And I agree with Glos Guy, the loss on a BEV far exceeds losses in an ICE, it is what it is, just different technology. Still not really a deal breaker when I charge up at 9p a kW.

In life, it's not who you know that's important, it's how your wife found out.

kezo
                                                  Participant

Kezo, EVs can also use energy heating tbe traction batteries in cold weather.

in some conditions, battery power must be used to heat the battery itself, to maintain performance or before charging.

Indeed mate ⬆ 😉

MFillingham
                                                    Participant

I agree the losses Summer to Winter are much worse in an EV.  That’s not a fantastic selling point, especially when the likes of Stellantis are selling rages from the WLTP tests as if they’re the gospel.  The number of complaints I saw about e2008 not delivering anything close to the range they were told is ridiculous.   I’d still argue that research needs to be done for all major purchases so that the reality of ownership isn’t a surprise.

I'm Autistic, if I say something you find offensive, please let me know, I can guarantee it was unintentional.
                                                      I'll try to give my honest opinion but am always open to learning.

Mark

Glos Guy
                                                      Participant

@kezo Thanks for the explanation. As you say, they operate in a very different way.

@Abercol
                                                        A very sensible response. There is no doubting that BEVs are (currently) much cheaper to run than an ICE car, but that is one consideration, albeit an important one. At present BEVs also have some drawbacks, which some choose to gloss over, and the big range drops in very cold weather or when driven ‘keenly’ are factors that also need to be taken into consideration, as I discovered when I had one for a day

I’m not at all adverse to getting a BEV, and if one appeals when we change next year I may well take the plunge. It would only be through Motability though. I wouldn’t buy one privately. I would go into it with my eyes wide open, aware of the cons as well as the pros, and luckily we can have off road charging which overcomes the biggest barrier for many people.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.