EV home-charging costs £310 per year, on average

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

• Creator
    Topic
  • #118959 Reply

Brydo

The average electric vehicle (EV) driver spends £310 per year on electricity to charge it at home, according to a new study by Uswitch.

The energy comparison service calculated the cost based on a typical EV covering 10,000 miles per year at the UK’s average electricity price per kWh.

It also calculated the cost of charging an EV in different countries around the world, based on the average price and mileage in those territories.

The UK ranked as the 10th most expensive out of 50 countries in the study, with the most expensive country to charge an electric vehicle revealed as Denmark, followed by Germany and Belgium.

Sarah Broomfield, energy expert at Uswitch, said: “The use of electric vehicles has clear environmental benefits but for many consumers, the choice to move to EVs can be hindered by perceptions about how much it will cost to charge.

“This research shows that, while the costs are not insignificant, the UK is in a strong position compared to countries like Denmark where the price of electricity makes the cost of a charge so much higher.

“Of course, as well as the cost savings of rapid charging points, we also encourage consumers to regularly review their own energy tariffs to ensure they’re getting the best deal possible.”

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #118961 Reply

ChrisK
    Participant

As we know in the UK tax/duty has not been added to the cost of the mileage that electric cars do other than 5% VAT on electric.

I’m wondering as Denmark being the highest cost and having a high number of EV cars on the road have they already put duty/tax on their electric cars.?

It’s amazing when you think that tax/duty on 10,000 miles is little more than £15 whereas the tax/duty on just one tankful of diesel in my car is in excesses of £44.

By the time Motability customers get EV’s at affordable prices these tax-free days will be long gone.😢

#118962 Reply

martino

thats right ChrisK think positive ,you might find motability will want to help their disabled customers by introducing lots of EV cheap A/P and cheap running costs

#118963 Reply

martino

Brydo thats about £25 a MONTH marvelous

#118967 Reply

Mike 700
    Participant

Brydo,

I have children and grandchildren living in Denmark, and I visit several times a year, car tax is huge-

You pay vehicle registration tax for the first time when you register a vehicle. From 1 January 2016, electric cars are no longer exempt from tax. Hydrogen-powered vehicles, however, are exempt from tax.
    You will be charged vehicle registration tax if you import a vehicle.
    If you buy a new car in Denmark, the car dealer usually handles vehicle registration tax and number plates

Rates of vehicle registration tax
    Vehicle Vehicle registration tax
    Cars 85% of the taxable value up to DKK 185,100 in 2017 and 150% of the rest.
    Motor bikes DKK 0 of the first DKK 9,600 in 2017 of the taxable value, 85% of the taxable value between DKK 9,600 – 58,400 in 2017 and 150% of the rest.
    Cars and vans (up to 4,000 kilos) DKK 0 of the first DKK 58,000 in 2017  of the taxable value and 50% of the rest.
    Exception: Open vans (pick-ups) or box vans with no window in the left-hand side behind the driver weighing 2,501 – 4,000 kilos: DKK 0 of the first DKK 38,200 of the taxable value and 30% of the rest. If the vehicle weighs more than 3,000 kilos, the maximum registration tax is DKK 56,800.
    Vans and lorries (of more than 4,000 kilos) Generally, lorries are not subject to vehicle registration tax

The vehicle registration tax is calculated based on the general rules for cars, motor bikes, vans and busses.
    Vehicles registered in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 will be charged 20% of the calculated vehicle registration tax, it will be 65% in 2021, 90% in 2022 and 100% in 2023.
    In 2016, 2017 and 2018 the vehicle registration tax will be reduced additionally with DKK 10,000. In 2019 and 2020 the vehicle registration tax will be reduced with DKK 40,000.
    Plug-in hybrid cars The tax is calculated according to the ordinary rules for cars, motor bikes, vans and busses.
    In 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 an additional fee is charged corresponding to 20% of the difference between the tax including and excluding the electricity consumption in the fuel consumption. This fee will be increased to 65% in 2021, 90% in 2022 and 100% in 2023.
    Moreover, a deduction of DKK 10,000 on the final tax is granted in 2016, 2017 and 2018. This deduction will be increased to DKK 40.000 in 2019 and 2020.
    Registration tax on used vehicles
    In principle, the vehicle registration tax on used cars, motor bikes and vans is calculated in the same way as for new cars. The taxable value and deductions and additional payments for equipment and features etc. will be reduced with the percentage that the value of the vehicle including tax has been changed to (vehicle depreciation) compared with a corresponding new vehicle.
    In Denmark, the taxable value of used cars is set based on the market price. The taxable value of new cars is set based on the initial price, corresponding to the ordinary price paid by a user in Denmark.

#118969 Reply

bfoandc

When I started looking at electric vehicles on Motability a few years ago there were (ignoring ‘smart cars’) one or two in the list,  the APs for them were pretty high and there were additional hurdles to get over before an order would be accepted.

This quarter there are about 40 electric vehicles and the AP starts at £399 (for a base level Zoe) or £499 for the MG EV Excite. There is the Leaf N-CONNECTA for £799 and the MG EV Exclusive is £999. There also offerings from Peugeot (e-208 and e-2008), Vauxhall (Corsa – E) and BMW (i3). Not a bad choice really.

#118988 Reply

Andy
    Participant

EV’s will be cheap to run until the government have most people in them, then watch tax etc go through the roof. Where else will they get the money that they currently get from fuel sales.

#119025 Reply

Peter

One thing that also helps to reduce running costs is taking advantage of free charging wherever possible.  Major supermarkets often provide this as do some town centres.

My mpg average equivalent, based solely upon what I’ve actually spent, works out at 250!!

I’m hoping to get a few days in Scotland next month.  It seems like there’s a lot of free rapid charging available there.  Happy days!

I’m making the most of it before it vanishes!

#119029 Reply

Rhodgie

I do about 20k a year. I average about 4 miles per Kw so thats 5,000 Kw a year. I pay approx 14p per kw so that’d be £700 per year for my fuel.

Some electricity tariffs are as low as 5p per Kw so that’d be £125 per year for 10k or about £12 per month. I also have solar panels and work shifts so can occasionally charge for free through the day.

To put that into a context that is easier to understand… I get the equivalent of 180 mpg

#119032 Reply

Ade

When you look at the figures quoted here by the members using EV’s and it does look very very good.

I worked out that I was spending £660 of fuel on 7K miles per year. Maybe my sums were wrong…lol
    The cost of fuel going down the EV route is very very attractive.

#119055 Reply

Peter

@Ade

To be honest, that’s exactly why I decided to go electric.  I have a spreadsheet which had all of my fuel costs for my prior two cars on the scheme, one petrol and one diesel.  When I applied those mileage figures using electric the savings were so massive that it would have been silly to get anything else, and that was with me paying for all miles done!

I completely agree that the government will find a way to claw back lost revenue, once they have enough of us using EVs.  I reckon there’s still a way to go before this happens so now’s the time to make the change.  There are some excellent offers on the scheme now and a free home charger point is a great added bonus too.

Range wise, I’m getting what would work out as a little over 200 miles.  This is obviously in the warmer weather and with lots of urban driving.  In winter I’m expecting around 140 ish at worst case.  I would only consider an EV with a heat pump as this is a big help with range. As an example, the BMW i3, last time I looked, does not come with this as standard.  It’s an option at £530 extra!

Getting an average paid for equivalent of 250 mpg, considering all of the free charging I take advantage of, is just crazy!  Long may it continue :-).

Peter.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: EV home-charging costs £310 per year, on average

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.

Your information: