EV Charging Costs Calculator

• Creator
    Topic
  • #145468 Reply
    RachelK

Hi, I’m not sure if this will be useful to anyone else but it made things clearer for me as I’m considering an EV for my next vehicle.

From Zap-Map website:

Home Charging Calculator
    Use our Home Charging Calculator to find out how long and how much it costs to charge an electric car at home. You can tailor the results to your home energy costs.

Given that private cars are usually parked overnight, most electric car owners rely on home charging to ensure that their EV is ready for use each morning. As well as being convenient, home-based overnight charging also has the advantage of being, in most cases, the cheapest time to recharge.

How to calculate electric car home charging costs
    Select your EV from the list of new or used plug-in vehicles, enter your charger type and your electricity costs.

Your results will show the estimated time to charge, the total cost and the cost per mile for home charging.

EV Home Charging Calculator

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #145527 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

I thought it was a simple calculation?  Simply multiply your electricity price £/kWh cost by the kWh of charge.  To keep it easy, if your electricity provider charged you 10p per kWh (I wish) and you had to fully charge a 50kWh battery then that is 10p x 50 = £5.00

#145529 Reply
    Intranicity
    Participant

Basically, it is that simple, but anything that helps people understand the costs is useful, especially if they can’t get their head around it

Previous Motability Cars
    2006 - 2009 Skoda Superb VR6 2.0tdi
    2009 - 2012 Citroen C5 2.0tdi VTR Nav
    2012 - 2015 Nissan Qashqai 1.5dci tekna
    2015 - 2018 Ford Kuga 2.0tdi Titanium X
    2018 - 2021 BMW 220d X drive 2 Series Active Luxury
    2021- Hyundai Kona Electric Premium SE

#145555 Reply
    RachelK

Thanks Intranicity, that’s why I posted it 😊. Since my stroke and brain injury, I’ve found even relatively basic maths difficult. Just thought it was worth putting out there for people like me who are considering an EV.

#145628 Reply
    YorkMan
    Participant

@RachelK – my reply was just relating to those than can work it out but maybe do not know how to, I appreciate that some forum members will find your post very helpful 🙂

#145636 Reply
    gothitjulie
    Participant

To throw a spanner in the works, there are some losses whilst charging an EV, so for instance, 11kWh from the mains may give you say 10kWh of charge, the rest being lost in the charging circuitry & battery as heat.

Another useful “Rule Of Thumb” is that most EVs do about 3 miles per kWh in winter & about 4 miles per kWh in summer.

#145696 Reply
    RachelK

<p style=”text-align: left;”>No problem @YorkMan, your reply is much appreciated. I just need mathematical things to be simpler to understand now or I get flummoxed 🙄😄!</p>

@gothitjulie
    , that’s some really useful info that I hadn’t thought of – Cheers! 😊

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: EV Charging Costs Calculator
Your information: